Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does the run on toilet paper not seem suspicious to you?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Does the run on toilet paper not seem suspicious to you?

Mar 16, 2020, 11:07 AM

Mark my words, Russia and/or China troll farms manipulated us into a toilet paper shortage through social media. No other plausible explanation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does the run on toilet paper not seem suspicious to you?

Mar 16, 2020, 11:10 AM

What is problematic is that the rate of consumption of toilet paper is not going to change as a result of this pandemic. So, any manufacturer that ramps up production, is going to be faced with a overstock very soon. TP does have an expiration date, like bread or other fresh foods. Any TP bought during this panic, will be used eventually. In a month, grocery stores won't be able to give a roll away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seemingly sane people on TNet also doing grocery store runs

Mar 16, 2020, 11:16 AM

So much fear is causing people to run to the stores, which only leads to more shortages.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2020, 11:32 AM

What does TP have to do with the virus? Nobody seems to know the answer except for "if people get quarantined whtn they might run out?" Yeah ----so--- they will run out of allthe other stuff too so I just don't get it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2020, 11:44 AM

Have you visited the local Wal Mart lately? It’s not just toilet paper that is disappearing from the shelves. Many have bare shelves and the trucks that deliver aren’t allowed to make stops!
As for the TP ... the pulp and paper industries aren’t to upset!

Mar 16, 2020, 1:47 PM

This is actually bad for the industry, i.e. Proctor & Gamble. The U.S. uses about 7 billion rolls a year. This panic isn't going to change that. TP doesn't have an expiration date. Any TP bought now in excess, will just decrease demand in the future. You can go buy your TP from Costco or Sams once a year (about ~24 rolls a person) or buy it every week from Food Lion, it doesn't matter. You still use up the same amount.

Companies like P&G that now have to deal with shortages, will have to make changes to their production line to handle increased demand, and will certainly have to deal with lower than normal demand in the near future.

Mar 16, 2020, 3:45 PM

If you were able to figure this out, pretty sure the supply chain gurus for major companies will be fine.

Mar 16, 2020, 11:41 AM

No, it makes sense. We need food, and there are many alternative food sources. Same for other things. However, there is no viable alternative to toilet paper. It is rational decision making - albeit prompted in part by fear, an emotion. And it also makes sense to be somewhat fearful.

No other viable alternative to toilet paper? Says who !?!?

Mar 16, 2020, 11:46 AM

I was raised back in the day when the only option for babies was cloth diapers.

In an emergency situation, I'm not above using a towel and just washing it afterwards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: No other viable alternative to toilet paper? Says who !?!?

Mar 16, 2020, 11:53 AM

Of course there are other alternatives. But it makes sense to be proactive and ensure the best option while pre-empting less desirable options.

Mar 16, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Does the run on toilet paper not seem suspicious to you? ]

Don't make sense. Any time there's a threat of snow or hurricane, the store shelves are empty of bread, milk, water and sandwich meat. Never, have I seen a shortage of TP. There's no way the country spontaneously and organically reached the consensus that TP was going to be the hot commodity for this event.

Well, it does give us something to talk about. In

Mar 16, 2020, 11:45 AM

olden times most people wiped with their hands, used sand, leaves, even seashells.

Now, people may become afraid to shake hands for more than one reason.

Re: Well, it does give us something to talk about. In

Mar 16, 2020, 12:02 PM

I heard at breakfast this morning that tarheel fans were buying up Duke t shirts to use .... just in case! Perhaps there is a reason for those ugly shirts found around Columbia,

Re: Well, it does give us something to talk about. In

Mar 16, 2020, 12:13 PM

I'm not sure there is a TP shortage powerful enough to make me go #2 in my yard and that would be my only option because I'm not taking one of those coot shirts into my house!

It is impressive that it’s nationwide. But I’ve lived in Florida

Mar 16, 2020, 1:56 PM

When there was an expected hurricane that never happened. Water bottles and generators were the things bought up. But 3 days later when the hurricane moved off the supply chain was back up and running. Will be interesting to see how long this takes to stabilize.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2020, 3:11 PM

The OP sounds like he did not live thru similar shortages and panic about 50 years ago. To get gas, you had to start lining up around 6:00a and wait 30-45 minutes just to get to the pumps. Coffee, sugar, etc was also sold out everywhere. My 67 GTO only got about 5-6 MPG, and I had a gas station next door to the place I was renting, but I could seldom get gas as I would get in line but could not get to the pumps prior to having to go to work. I also could not get out of my driveway until the line finally moved and someone would let me out. I bought a bicycle to ride to work.

These shortages will pass, and life might return to something close to normal, but lots of people will lose their jobs and companies will go out of business or have to reduce staff. The ride will be bumpy, so gear up.

Runs always seem to increase toilet paper usage.

Mar 16, 2020, 3:21 PM

Do they not?

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic