Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NFL "Bounty" Suspensions
Other Sports Boards - The Pro Zone
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

NFL "Bounty" Suspensions

May 2, 2012, 9:05 PM

I posted this in the lounge, but none of those pantywaists over there responded. So, I'll put it out here and see what the real sports fans think:

Football is a tough, physically violent game when played correctly. However, this thing about NFL players getting offered a "bounty" from coaches to injure opposing players, and getting punished for it with suspensions, I don't understand. Isn't that a little beyond just "cheating"? These guys conspired to injure people badly enough to prevent them from being able to do their jobs; shouldn't that be a criminal offense? Conspiracy to commit bodily injury? And in the cases where players were actually injured, isn't that also straight up assault and battery? Shouldn't the targeted players have civil recourse as well? And why in the HAYULL should ANYONE involved get to participate in the NFL in any capacity EVER AGAIN?

The NFL is a great product, the best pro sport going by far. But this bounty shyatt is beyond the pale. In my opinion all guilty parties should face criminal charges.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am in agreement...

May 2, 2012, 9:19 PM

however, would the justice system get involved with a Nascar driver intentionally wrecking another driver, or a wreckless intentional foul in basketball. I do understand that this directive came from the staff and not the players and that is where the biggest problem comes in. Go Tigers 2012!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There have been situations where criminal charges have been

May 2, 2012, 9:44 PM

filed for intentionally injuring someone in professional sports. This incident comes to mind off of the top of my head. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/2000/10/06/mcsorley_assault_ap/

I think its just a case of people taking things too far.

May 2, 2012, 9:20 PM

I don't think criminal charges are necessary nor appropriate in this situation. Even if these guys had extra incentive to hit a guy a little harder or in a certain place, they still had to do it within the rules of the game with the risk of fine or suspension from the NFL.

The suspensions are more for the rhetoric than the actions of the players. If the players had done or did anything too over the top then they would have been punished for it when it happened.

I think suspensions are the correct way to handle it.

Do think they

May 2, 2012, 9:25 PM

Should have gotten more than suspension.....

The coaches are to blame here not necessarily the..

May 2, 2012, 9:25 PM

Players. Football is a violent sport and players are taught to inflict pain on others. As long as it is within the whistles it is fair game. The coaches were wrong for putting money on it which could possibly lean towards cheap shots. But the problem I have is every football player wants to Hurt his opponent. If you have a blind shot on the qb what are you going to do? Tap him on the shoulder and ask him to fall down?

"As long as it is within the whistles..."

May 2, 2012, 9:45 PM

I love hard hitting, slobberknocker, smashmouth football as much as anyone. I was in school here when we still did that!! But I disagree with the notion that anything goes on the field. In fact I think it's nuts.

I've always felt that what Lawrence Taylor did to Joe Theismann was assault and battery. That idiot cokehead piece of shyatt should have gone to jail for that. Again, you can "hurt" someone without actively seeking to injure them. And the coaches or team management who offered the "bounties" should be in jail tonight. Period.

Huh?

May 2, 2012, 9:53 PM

You thought the LT hit on Theisman should've been punished criminally? I can understand some of the plays in sport being pursued criminally, but that hit wasn't close to that level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't think it was clearly intentional by Taylor?

May 2, 2012, 10:06 PM

To me it's CLEAR he was trying to injure him. If you disagree, then ok... different folks see things differently. But I've always thought it was intentional.

DOn't see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8SZOqc6Pk

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, perhaps it wasn't. I hope it was accidental.

May 2, 2012, 10:16 PM

And perhaps it isn't a good illustration of the events of late. But I still think that the recent conspiracy is criminal in nature... trying to keep someone from being able to do their job. If you're seeking to injure someone badly enough to knock them out of the game, then you don't know if you're going to injure them badly enough to end their career. Either way you're effing with their livelihood. And that's a crime to me.

Re: You don't think it was clearly intentional by Taylor?

May 2, 2012, 10:15 PM [ in reply to You don't think it was clearly intentional by Taylor? ]

How is that intentional?

I must have remembered it incorrectly

May 2, 2012, 10:19 PM

I always thought the way he pulled him down looked like he was trying to snap that leg. I still think it's possible he WAS trying to do that, but it's not irrefutable video evidence. So, I stand corrected on that. All the rest of the recent stuff, the conspiracy, yes... criminal.

to quote brian dawkins(while at Clemson)

May 2, 2012, 9:27 PM

"The way I play is I try hurt people, and the way they play is they try to hurt people"

Im against bounties, but dont kid yourself. This is a violent game, and bounties exist all but in name on every team, including Clemson(want to be a defensive star? Be known for huge hits). To mention criminal charges is just a gut reaction to what everyone just wanted to see but what noone wanted to hear, that we pay these guys millions of dollars every year to knock someones block off, whether you want to call it a bounty or not is just how the "contract" was worded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No offense to Brian Dawkins...

May 2, 2012, 9:39 PM

He was a great player both here and in the NFL, but you can "hurt" someone without attempting to injure someone. You can play clean, hit hard, and physically dominate someone without conspiring to take away their ability to earn a living. If Brian Dawkins (or anyone else) actively sought to INJURE people in order to knock them out of the game, then he (or anyone else doing so) is scum. Further, this isn't just the action of rogue players with no sense of honor or sportsmanship; this was a CONSPIRACY to injure opposing players. That's criminal to me, and it's a no-brainer.

I'm shocked that this is just seen as a "cheating" issue. If an industry competitor paid one of their employees to come to your workplace and kneecap you in order to gain a business advantage, would that be a criminal in your book? If not, then why not?

Not the same situation at all.

May 2, 2012, 9:42 PM

Besides if anyone went out of their way to hit someone after the play, high or low then they would have been fined, suspended, or kicked out of the game.

Why isn't it the same situation??

May 2, 2012, 9:47 PM

It's their JOB, and someone is offering money to get make them incapable of working.

Try to think beyond the game here. This is a crime.

Re: Why isn't it the same situation??

May 2, 2012, 9:52 PM

You are comparing people that are payed and trained to hit other people at full speed to some guy taking a cheap shot at another in an office.

Not at all comparable especially considering there are millions of people and hundreds of cameras watching every second of a football game.

It approaches that territory

May 2, 2012, 10:00 PM

When a coach incentivizes injuries then I'd say that begins to approach the territory of criminal behavior.

Now, I do think that is a very real and different notion than saying you want someone to "hurt" and pull himself out of the game (mentally or physically) as you would do with an option QB. You want to hit them early and often forcing them to second guess keeping the ball or running wide. But placing an incentive on injuries? That's too far.

Thats why they were suspended.

May 2, 2012, 10:03 PM

and what I said earlier.

The suspensions are for the rhetoric more than the actions on the field. You can't just go out there and bust someone in the kneecap without anybody noticing.

Yes, they are pros... they are PAID to hit people

May 2, 2012, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Why isn't it the same situation?? ]

So yes, they know EXACTLY how to do it cleanly and they know how to do it to injure someone. And remember, this all came out because an informant revealed the conspiracy. If a piece of shyatt player (like Lawrence Taylor) has it in his head to injure another player, then he's going to have to do something as egregious as what he did to Joe Theismann for the intent to be obvious. In the case of these recent suspensions, the inducement was MONEY, and that money was offered by their employers. If that hadn't come out, then yeah... it just looks like a cheap shot or a dirty hit. A dirty hit intended to cause injury motivated by a bribe? Not a crime on some level?

It was conspiracy involving money for inflicting injury. How it ISN'T criminal is simply astounding to me. And the fact that ANYONE involved in this is going to EVER be allowed to participate in the NFL again is disgusting.

There was nothing illegal about LT's hit

May 2, 2012, 10:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8SZOqc6Pk

Not sure why you'd use this as an example.

Re: Yes, they are pros... they are PAID to hit people

May 2, 2012, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Yes, they are pros... they are PAID to hit people ]

You are not being reasonable. This is the NFL there's no "tackling cleanly" or "tackling to injure", you just tackle to stop the ball carrier as abruptly and quickly as possible.

Also in the NFL dirty hits carry repercussions just ask James Harrison, Ndamukung Suh, Dunta Robinson, etc.

Dirty hits are one thing...

May 2, 2012, 10:28 PM

And they deserve repercussions like fines and suspensions. But conspiracy to make hits that result in the player's injury induced by monetary reward by the boss is more than just a dirty hit.

If you're ok with the bounty thing, then fine, dude. Rock on. It makes me sick. It is a violent, physical game, but there should be some honor and sportsmanship in it.

Re: Why isn't it the same situation??

May 2, 2012, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Why isn't it the same situation?? ]

Flying lord knows we disagree a good bit but i must say watching the Taylor play not sure how you can say he was trying to hurt JT....heck he was actually trying to club the ball out and grabbed him high...if a pass rusher wants to hurt the qb then he either can go helmet to helmet,go for the legs, or pick him up and drive him into the ground...what happened there was a football play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*******DISCLAIMER********* My intent of this post was not to upset the manginas who frequent some of the boards.

See above - after watching the replay again, I agree

May 2, 2012, 10:31 PM

It's not clear. He sure collapses on him in just the right way to crunch the leg, but it's not clear that it was intentional. A very ugly injury, but not a good historical example of the current issues. My bad.

Re: See above - after watching the replay again, I agree

May 2, 2012, 10:34 PM

Dang almost an agreement....Is it because I live in Greenville now?

*******DISCLAIMER********* My intent of this post was not to upset the manginas who frequent some of the boards.

No, it's because I am reasonable...

May 2, 2012, 10:38 PM

and I when I find that I'm wrong I admit it.

No opinion to offer on the topic at hand, Bstrick?

Re: No, it's because I am reasonable...

May 2, 2012, 10:47 PM

Sure I think charging them legally would be a slippery slope. What about when a P intentionally throws at a hitter? If he hits him in the head and does damage does he deserve time? If a hockey player checkes a guy into the boards he hates does he. I think there could be some grounds for charges filed on some sort of conspiracy charge but thats about it.

I do not think it is a big deal...

I doubt they went with intent to injure, and even if they did, as long as the hits were within the rules I see noting wrong.

yada yada yada

They are modern day gladiators and are rewarded handsomely for it.

Knocked out of the game doesn't equal injury...

May 2, 2012, 10:20 PM

And being PAID to do so is no big deal...

how's that room at The Whitney working out for ya?

You're way out of touch. This is a blip on the screen.***

May 2, 2012, 10:08 PM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Other Sports Boards - The Pro Zone
add New Topic