Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Riddle me this Coot loss excuse makers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Riddle me this Coot loss excuse makers

Dec 11, 2013, 3:36 PM

If the problem with beating the coots is the quality of football being played in willy B of recent, then how did we ever manage to beat LSU and UGA??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not turning the ball over 6 times against either was

Dec 11, 2013, 3:38 PM

probably a big help...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not turning the ball over 6 times against either was

Dec 11, 2013, 3:40 PM

We turned the ball over on the first play vs LSU and were down to them until the last second....we came back...

But I see your point and agree. However do we fix this issue we have with turning the ball over in big games?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was the second play. And we didn't repetitively have

Dec 12, 2013, 10:31 AM

turnovers and the TOM was -1...not -6.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

You'd think turning it over 6 times all five years would get

Dec 11, 2013, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Not turning the ball over 6 times against either was ]

Fixed...

Oh wait, different excuses

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOM***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:41 PM

No boom...

Dec 11, 2013, 3:43 PM

I've kept saying, you lose 5 in a row, I don't care why. The benefit of the doubt is gone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm on your side***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:45 PM

I understand...

Dec 11, 2013, 3:46 PM

I'm not trying to show anybody up.

mark richt and les miles***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:38 PM

I'm going with Filo

Dec 11, 2013, 3:39 PM

For sure probably the TOs

The first three I'll give them

Dec 11, 2013, 3:42 PM

The last two I have excuses for.

Re: The first three I'll give them

Dec 11, 2013, 3:44 PM

2009? We were division champs. they went on to lose to Uconn...I don't buy it. 2010 I'll def. give them. 2011 I'll give them good team in willy B. But not 2009, 2012 or 2013.

Re: The first three I'll give them

Dec 11, 2013, 5:04 PM

2009 marked a big turning point in this rivalry.

A good Clemson team came into Columbia, got hit in the mouth and haven't recovered since.

A team that we owned started believing they could beat us that day and started playing like they knew it from then on out.

there's really no excuse for '09,'12, or '13

Dec 11, 2013, 3:46 PM [ in reply to The first three I'll give them ]

2010- we sucked
2011- I'll grant the excuse of being young playing in a hostile environment.......but that's stretching it considering what we did at VT that year

There is no excuse for 2009.***

Dec 13, 2013, 12:31 PM [ in reply to The first three I'll give them ]

There's something in these hills.

Because Dabo didn't dress like a slob in those games***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^best excuse i've heard so far.***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:44 PM

Please quit beating a dead horse.

Dec 11, 2013, 3:59 PM

Yes, it's a sports message board and you can talk about whatever you want. Unfortunately, your going over the same thing everyday is almost like a sick obsession. You are starting to sound like a guy who lost his girlfriend and becomes a stalker.

I'll quit when I stop seeing posts about how SCar can't....

Dec 11, 2013, 5:26 PM

in a BCS game or how great they are now or how we are going to demolish an "overrated" OSU team or until we beat the coots, whichever comes first.

because the pressure was less and the boys just went out

Dec 11, 2013, 4:02 PM

and played.

Its clear its a mental thing ....

Re: because the pressure was less and the boys just went out

Dec 11, 2013, 4:04 PM

agreed.

Re: Riddle me this Coot loss excuse makers

Dec 11, 2013, 4:13 PM

About the 6 turnovers

1. So what you are saying is that it was 100% the Clemson players fault for the turnovers & had nothing to do with defense. Interesting.

2. You are saying that given back the 6 turnovers that Clemson would have scored at least 2 more times (unlikely due to the fact that Carolna's defense was causing turnovers)

3. Lets say you stop the Gamecocks a couple more times, would you then still blame your win on the turnovers?

Old excuse is getting old.

Dec 11, 2013, 4:18 PM

CooterU entered the game avergaing .78 fumbles forced per game and 1.09 INT's per game. Yep it was definitely the cooter D tripling their game averages....

Yes it most certainly was on our players for not taking care of the ball which is on our coaches. This has been a plaguing problem in big games.

Dec 11, 2013, 4:52 PM

So.............. what you are saying is that Clemson players caused all the fumbles & just basically threw the ball directly to the Gamecocks? Did Tajh have a bet on the Gamecocks or something?

Of course defense had nothing to do with it..... nothing at all. Sheesh.

Dec 11, 2013, 4:57 PM

I didn't say D didn't have anything to do with. We didn't take care of the ball. Do you really think your D just played 3x better than in all your game previously or do you think maybe Clemson didn't take care of the football as well as the teams that played you? Take off the garnet colored glasses.

And tajh's INT's might as well been thrown straight to you. They were desperation.

You have to look at each TO individually

Dec 12, 2013, 1:24 PM

1 - Sammy / Humphries interception. I blame the coaching decision to call this play mostly, but also Humphries needs to be aware of the safety in the End Zone and at least make an attempt to go up for the ball. Root Cause = Clemson.

2 - Humphries / Bryant muffed punt. I blame this on Bryant for doing whatever it was he was doing when he ran into Humphries trying to field the punt. Root Cause = Clemson.

3 - Boyd strip. Root cause = USC - great defensive play.

4 - Humphries fumble on attempted punt return. I guess USC may have gotten a hand on the ball (didn't see much contact), but Humphries should just fair catch it. Root Cause = Clemson.

5 & 6 - Tajh INT's - Seems like we'd thrown in the towel and were desparate at that point. Root Cause = 50/50 USC and Clemson.

Gamecocks get credit for 2 turnovers in this one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2013, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Riddle me this Coot loss excuse makers ]

> CooterU entered the game avergaing .78 fumbles forced
> per game and 1.09 INT's per game. Yep it was
> definitely the cooter D tripling their game
> averages....
>
>

Yes it most certainly was on our players for not
> taking care of the ball which is on our coaches.
> This has been a plaguing problem in big games.

Dec 11, 2013, 4:55 PM

I find that interesting. So what you are saying is that

A. Your coaches suck
B. Your team sucks

Thanks for the info

Dec 11, 2013, 4:58 PM

Nope, just saying...

A. Our coaches apaprently don't coach ball securityy as well as others
B. Our coaches don't prepare out team for the coots as well as they should.

Not sure about that

Dec 12, 2013, 1:41 PM

We were doing pretty well turnover-wise prior to the SCar game, and still ended up with 23 takeaways vs. 21 turnovers for the regular season. That's just about middle of the road.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scar is not that good

Dec 11, 2013, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Riddle me this Coot loss excuse makers ]

You beat us fair and square. Congrats. Obviously that's not enough because you have to come over here and talk about it which is because you have an inferiority complex from watching Clemson dominate you for the majority of your lifetime.

You beat us but we #### the bed and you know it.

Re: Scar is not that good

Dec 12, 2013, 10:58 AM

I find this hilarious coming from the one & only Skeeter. The same guy who posts non-stop on Cockytalk.

KSKilla

Dec 11, 2013, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Riddle me this Coot loss excuse makers ]

Do you think a muffed punt X2 is because of you're great defense. Or a pass intercepted in the end zone that was floated up by a wide receiver is due to you're vaunted defense. None of those TO's had squat to do with the crocks. The Sister's of the Poor BBQ Association Univ. could have made those plays. It surely wasn't great play on the ##### part.

The only TO that was b/c of you're defense was Tajh's fumble.

The 2 INTs late in the game were desperation tosses, trying to make anything happen. They would not have happened if the give away turn overs hadn't happened.

Your assessment is faulty...it wasn't b/c of your teams great play on D as much as it was the Tigers shooting themselves in the foot.

Good Lord fool...get real!

Re: KSKilla

Dec 11, 2013, 11:21 PM

there was only one muffed punt, the other was a forced fumble on a punt return.

As for the picks you said it best, they were desperation throws that we didn't need to win the game, they just made it easier. That being said it was clear that our defense made Tajh uncomfortable and rushed his throws.

Dec 12, 2013, 9:16 AM

No Adam Humphries fumbling the balla nd giving yall a 14 point lead made Boyd uncomfortable.

Boot meet nutz. Nutz meet sinuses.

Dec 12, 2013, 10:57 AM [ in reply to KSKilla ]

KSkillaIcyHotStunta operates on faulty logic.

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Dec 12, 2013, 10:57 AM [ in reply to KSKilla ]

Yep, its true. You can't spell exCUse with CU. Whatever helps you fellas make it through the year.

Dec 13, 2013, 11:23 AM [ in reply to KSKilla ]

Good teams protect the ball, bad teams don't.

The first muffed punt I'll give you. It was a screw up by the returner (see above). The second punt was a forced fumble because he tried to take off after the catch. It was hardly a muff.

Brison William's interception was certainly a good play because he had be aware to keep contain and read the play. An example of not keeping contain is the TD CU gave up from Cooper to Wilds. Where was the contain from CU? Who blew their assignment on that play? That's the difference in those two plays and the difference in a good and bad play.

Tajh's fumble was a man beast play by Sutton.

Tajh's two picks thrown late in the game weren't even on fourth down. There was a need for CU to move the ball quickly but either of those plays could have been thrown away.

Good teams make plays, bad teams don't. You got beat. The better team won and you know it.

Dec 12, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Riddle me this Coot loss excuse makers ]

I guess using that stat for the year would make it seem
like it was all Clemson's issues with the turnovers and
had nothing to do with SCs defense. I guess it's easier
to swallow that way...HOWEVER, check out the turnover
margin of Our last four games of the year. South Carolina
had ZERO turnovers, and 15 take aways. (T/O margin of +15)
Going into the Clemson game (three games prior) it was
already +9. Yeah, you guys gave us a boost in the yearly
T/O stats, but we were a MUCH BETTER team down the stretch
than we were to begin with. BUT, if you want to say you
guys had the better team and we didn't win the game,
but you guys lost it I'm cool with it. When you need an
excuse for yet another loss, I guess any port in the storm
will do.

It confuses me that you guys come on here and get upset

Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 AM

about Clemson fans making excuses about the SC game. You guys beat us so I'm not sure why you need internet message board people to validate that for you.

The pitiful part is, they did the same thing last year. It's

Dec 11, 2013, 9:33 PM

like we never watched the film.

The problem has been our defense not getting stops, and

Dec 11, 2013, 11:14 PM

that is mostly b/c SPurrier has gotten the better of Venables.
3rd down defense and turnovers, and you lose a game where you win the LOS, run the ball and stop the run.

But I also think it's become a mental thing with our players. Put usuc's team in NCSt jerseys and we win.

Our team is now doing what we were used to seeing usuc's team do, play without confidence and make big mistakes. I bet they were obsessed about beating Clemson all those years, too.

Re: The problem has been our defense not getting stops, and

Dec 12, 2013, 9:17 AM

Our D played fine this year. Qb draw killed us sure, but we didn't lose that game due to Defense.

Re: The problem has been our defense not getting stops, and

Dec 12, 2013, 2:37 PM [ in reply to The problem has been our defense not getting stops, and ]

Posted by Clemsnman
that is mostly b/c SPurrier has gotten the better of Venables.
3rd down defense and turnovers, and you lose a game where you win the LOS, run the ball and stop the run.

But I also think it's become a mental thing with our players. Put usuc's team in NCSt jerseys and we win.

Our team is now doing what we were used to seeing usuc's team do, play without confidence and make big mistakes. I bet they were obsessed about beating Clemson all those years, too.

Best post I've seen on the board about the current status
of the rivalry. Prior to 2009. I used to make a lot of
Gamecock fans angry when the subject came up as to why
Clemson dominated the game. I'm not a person who like to
hear excuses, or speculation even on our own part. Excuses
are for the losers. Just Fix It ! ..... I've heard 'em
all over the years from our own fans. "It's because we
are in the SEC and we're beat up going into the Clemson
game ... PLEASE ! I posted numbers showing we were actually
better after we joined the SEC by a slim margin, but still
not producing results... My opinion on the rivalry was
simply mental. South Carolina was saturated with years of
getting beaten and with every single Gamecock fan talking
about it 24/7/365 it was on the minds of players, coaches
and fans going into the week of the game, and then all it
took was one good play on Clemson's part OR a bad play on
Carolina's part and the "OH NO, HERE IT GOES AGAIN" alarms
went off in everyone's mind. The game was almost over at
that point on. .. With SC not being able to put to wins
together since the late 60s, it was just a mind #### and
just a matter of the right minute until Clemson got the
upper hand in the game and we were TOAST. ... I told
Gamecock fans that (IMO) we had to win at least 3 games
in a row and (I thought at the time) one of those needed
to be a total blowout. 30+ points or so, in order to get
our junior and senior classes to realize it was Execution
rather than any and all of the excuses they could come
up with. Your team leaders had to be the ones to know
they were as good as Clemson, and to lead the way for the
younger guys in case things got tight during the game.

We didn't get that Blowout I thought we'd need, but the
end result is the same. We now have had to graduating
Class that haven't suffered a loss to Clemson and it has
permeated the team at this point. It is where you guys
were for so many years. With our getting a lot more of
the top quality players in the state of SC than we used
to... players who grew up inundated with the rivalry
already, and our having won several in a row, it has
turned the game in our favor now. NO, we won't close
the game significantly in the next decade or so, BUT I
do not see it going back to a 6/2 - 4/1 ratio to the
tigers the way it was for so long. I see it eventually
evening out to a more 50/50 or 60/40 type string of
games over the future.

Dec 12, 2013, 9:59 AM

Loss is a loss

Anything else is an excuse.

So Clemson had 6 turnovers

So UGA muffed a field goal against Clemson

So LSU gave up a once in a lifetime 4-16 when Clemson was deep in own territory only to lose by 1

A Loss is a loss, counts the same.

All the excuses carry some weight if this was the 1st win they have had in a long time. I can see them making excuses for losing the streak because they gave up 6 turnovers, not the other way around

When they beat us 5 times in a row, each win and game should be different, different players over 5 yrs, dif coaches, dif scheme, etc. My only surprise is surely in 5 wins over a team 1 would be a blowout. Fortunately that hasn;t happened yet but a big turnover game was bound to happen. The only consistent thing is they control the ball, scare Tajh, frustrate Dabo, rip Clemson fans hearts out, and overall mentally rape our players

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot

Dec 12, 2013, 10:09 AM

You do have experience on this subject.

Someone associated with SCar athletics has sold their

Dec 12, 2013, 10:25 AM

soul to Satan. How else can you explain the terrible play by Clemson over the past 2-3 years against them; yet, we can beat other SEC power teams? And, SCar can lose to UTenn and UGa, et. al.?

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

No excuses, just smarter. U don't fire a 10 win coach/staff.

Dec 12, 2013, 10:55 AM

As Danny said, it makes for an unhappy offseason, it will turn and this staff has Clemson back where it's supposed to be.Danny's word's not the the so called "Coot Loss Excuse Makers".

Re: No excuses, just smarter. U don't fire a 10 win coach/staff.

Dec 12, 2013, 2:23 PM

so now Danny says "wait till next year" wow

Dec 12, 2013, 10:57 AM

Your question is stupid! So beating good teams some how means your coaching is poor or does not deserve the credit but lose to a good team and your coach is worthless?
You are a coot by virtue of stupidity!

SCAR is inside our heads ... no doubt about it.

Dec 12, 2013, 11:52 AM

Clemson used to show up for the SCAR game "expecting to win" and they did win almost every time.

Now Clemson shows up "expecting to lose" to SCAR and ... well you know the rest ...

Not exactly sure when the pivot point occurred, but it did and now we have to wait for it to reverse itself.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marcus Lattimore caused it

Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 PM

It is no surprise that Spurrier is not an all word recruiter. I have even have Scar fans tell me he is barely even in the process anymore.

Marcus Lattimore brought in most of the big time players that signed with Scar during the time he was there. He was on every on campus visit and was great at selling the school to other high school players. He also got Ellington to play football. Now that he is gone, their recruiting is falling off and so if there product on the field.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic