Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What we learned about Bama last night?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,256

What we learned about Bama last night?

Nov 4, 2018, 2:18 PM

There were a lot of people on T-Net last night saying that no one has a shot against Bama but I was very encouraged by what I saw and how Clemson would match up. If Bama had run roughshod over LSU like they have done with everyone else, yeah I'd say we need to pack it up this year but they didn't. Bama is a great team, but they aren't unbeatable.

- We saw that the Bama Offense is still very good but had its struggles against a D with a pulse.

- Tua is good. He's very, very good. But he was not perfect last night. He threw a pick, struggled under pressure (the few times LSU got to him), and looked gimpy. I think he's more injured than they are leading on. Bama's O-line did a great job of protecting him but I'm confident our D-line could get more pressure than LSU's and force some mistakes. He had to play into the 4th quarter last night for the first time this year.

- LSU's QB, Joe Burrow, is... not good. He was not good going into the game. His arm strength makes Jake Bentley look like Brett Favre. His completion percentage is 53.5% (including last night) and he has a 6-4 TD-INT ratio (including last night). He's thrown 6 TDs all year...

- Bama's D is good, they always have a good D. LSU's offense was not tearing it up coming into the matchup. They're averaging 27 PPG (around 30 PPG before last night). That's good for 83rd in the country. Clemson averages 47.8 PPG (including yesterday's 77-point output). That's good for 4th in the nation.

What we saw was an LSU team that was *shocker* overranked and had no business in the top 5 but still gave Bama a game. A team with a good defense and an offense with a pulse are going to be able to challenge the Tide. It's going to take the same thing to beat Bama that it always does, great QB play and good Defense. They aren't unstoppable though and a mediocre LSU team showed that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

29-0 is an arssekicking especially in fake DV

Nov 4, 2018, 2:20 PM

29-0 that's a beatdown over a #3 ranked team.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you didn't see some exploitable areas of Bama's game?

Nov 4, 2018, 2:31 PM

The CFB pundit world has and will continue to talk about Bama like they're unbeatable. Just like every year, we'll start seeing articles about whether this is the greatest team of all time and whether they could beat the Browns.

Is Bama good? Absolutely. They easily could win another Natty this year. But they aren't unstoppable. If LSU had a halfway decent QB and better offensive playcalling, they could've made a game out of that.

Of course but don't fool yourself...LSU is still very good

Nov 4, 2018, 2:53 PM

And if Clemson beats Bama in the natty 29-0 it'll go down as a "beatdown".

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What we learned about Bama last night?

Nov 4, 2018, 2:24 PM

What I learned from watching Bama is that our pass defense is not nearly as good as their's and our down-field tackling leaves a lot to be desired. Too many missed tackles!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2018, 2:26 PM

Who have you been watching? The coots

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I'd be worried if we had Joe Burrow at QB... Chase Brice

Nov 4, 2018, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: What we learned about Bama last night? ]

is twice the QB Burrow is.

Nov 4, 2018, 2:27 PM

Not worried about Bama’s O we have a better D than LSU , the Tiger defense would keep us in the game.
What concerns me though is the Bama D line.
We have not run the Ball on a team with a good D.
TL will have to put us on his back and have a very big game.

We didn't run the ball against them well even when we beat

Nov 4, 2018, 2:36 PM

them.

I don't think our O-line matches up well but Elliott is smart enough to recognize how to scheme to minimize our weaknesses. LSU's OC just kept calling the same terrible, vanilla plays last night right into the teeth of their D. I can't remember a single sweep or screen play they ran all night.

Re: We didn't run the ball against them well even when we beat

Nov 4, 2018, 2:45 PM

I agree , TL will have to be moving around not going to be much time in the pocket.
We will have to get to the edges running the ball and TL will have to pick up some first downs with his legs

Nov 4, 2018, 2:34 PM

The problem is: Bama's OLine is good enough to protect Tua long enough to expose our secondary with those passes. No - he is not a threat to run against our D, but their RB's are very, very good. Bama will beat us with the PASS - PERIOD. We can stop their RUN game, but if our Dine cannot pressure Tua, then Bama wins this one.

That being said - Tua is ON PLAY away from Bama being a 1-dimensional team and very beatable. ONE hit on his bad leg will end Bama's chances to win this year. Even MSU might even beat them, or Auburn can if Tua goes down. Hurts is injured and cannot play as running is his strength and he has a bad wheel. Their backup is way below average (basically sucks right now).

No doubt their WRs are legit--Ruggs reminds me of Justyn

Nov 4, 2018, 2:38 PM

Ross--I'm not saying we're going to shut them down but our DBs have vastly improved as the season has gone on.

Re: No doubt their WRs are legit--Ruggs reminds me of Justyn

Nov 4, 2018, 2:42 PM

Well they have played much better since the TAM game until yesterday. In the first half when the Louisville QB had time there was wide open WRs.

I literally saw one person say Bama will not get beat

Nov 4, 2018, 2:52 PM

Last night.

They are far from unbeatable.

LSU has better DB's than us. Our DB'S will need to play their best game to keep us in it. We will also need to see the best effort we have seen this year from our front 7. Heavy stunts, blitzing and disguises will be key in getting consistent pressure on Tua. Bama's OL is the best in college football. We will struggle to get quick pressure with our front 4 alone. I suspect we are saving some things schematically just for Bama and we will unleash an NFL type scheme in the championship game.

On offense we will need to score between 35 and 45 to win IMO. OL will need to run block and pass block very well. RB's cannot let TL get killed in pass pro. If we have to put Choice in on 3rd downs so be it. We need to work the quick passing game to get TL into a rhythm. if we have success we can crank up the tempo and hopefully run 80-90 plays again. This will have Bama's defense gassed deep into the 3rd and 4th. We can't abandon the run down the stretch. They will make it tough to run the ball early on, this is why I'd like to see us loosen up the LB's and secondary with the quick game. TL is going to need to connect on at least one or two deep balls.

It will be a heck of accomplishment to beat them with a true freshman qb. I am looking forward to watching this battle. I think we can pull it off.

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,256
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic