Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An Honest UGA V Clemson Breakdown (LONG!!)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

An Honest UGA V Clemson Breakdown (LONG!!)

Aug 17, 2014, 6:56 PM

I'm going to give y'all my breakdown of clemson's upcoming game versus Georgia. This should be a duel for the ages. I am very excited for this game and hope Clemson will win, but I am here to give you my unbiased opinion.

Clemson's run offense vs Georgia's run defense- Georgia brings back a stable of All-SEC linebackers and are no slouch on the d-line. Clemson's line will have to get to the second level in the run game to prevent Georgia's LBs from making plays in the backfield. I look for Clemson's running back by committee approach to last for a half or so, before Morris switches to the hot hand. Clemson's line has a lot to prove but is capable of creating an effective run game if they are physical with Georgia (see LSU for an example).
I'll give Georgia a slight advantage but this could easily swing in Clemson's favor if the o-line can get to the second level.

Clemson's passing offense vs UGA's passing defense- Clemson brings back a very talented and deep receiving core and a red shirt senior at QB that can run the passing game efficiently. I believe losing Waktins will hurt the tigers offense, because you can't replace that talent. But having Stoudt instead of Boyd maybe a blessing. Boyd was more of an all or nothing type of player. Stoudt won't have as many big plays, but I look for him to run the offense with less 3-and-outs and less turnovers. Clemson is also very deep in the TE position. If Stoudt can use the TE as a safety blanket and force the LB to stay at home, it will really help Clemson in the run game. UGA lost a lot in the secondary and I don't believe Pruitt will be able to take that secondary in the first game of the year and make them look like All-Americans. He is a great coach but Georgia doesn't have near the talent in the secondary or d-line that FSU had last year.
I give Clemson the advantage. If Peake is healthy, Clemson should have their way in the pass game. If he isn't, I still don't see anyway that Georgia will be able to shutdown the passing game, Clemson has too many weapons and Georgia's pass rush and secondary are middle of the road in the SEC.

UGA's run game vs Clemson's run defense- This match up should have both fan bases excited. Georgia brings back an experienced o-line and the best stable of running backs in the nation (and it really isn't even close). Clemson has a top 3 (if not THE best) d-line in the nation in terms of depth and talent. Also, Clemson has experienced and very talented LB corp that rivals almost everyone in the country. I look for this to be a back and forth match up. You will see Gurley break some long runs and make plays that not many other backs can make. You will also see Clemson make plays in the backfield. They led the nation in TFL last year and it will be no different this year. The game may come down to this matchup and which side makes one or two more plays in the 4th quarter.
Advantage UGA- Again this will be a back and forth match up, on the drives that Georgia can break some runs the offense will run like a well oiled machine. On drives that Clemson can make some plays in the back field, you will see Georgia struggle on offense. Look for this matchup to decide the ball game. One or two more plays for either side will probably win the game. But this matchup is not a reflection of how good or bad Clemson's run defense is, but is more of a reflection of how good UGA's running backs are.

UGA's Passing vs Clemson's passing d-fence- Clemson again has a great d-line that specializes in pass rush and a young but very talented secondary that should be much improved with the experiences that many of the corners and safeties got last year. Having Alexander in the starting line up instantly locks up one side of the field and adds depth to the corner position. Clemson's passing defense effectiveness should come down to how the nickel/sam LB plays. If Blanks was at 100%, I would say that this covers up any weakness in the defense. UGA passing offense is very similar to Clemson's. They bring back an experienced redshirt senior QB and are deep in the WR and TE position. Unfortunately for the Dawgs, it seems like a number of their WR's are trying to come back from injuries (aka Mitchell, etc..). This will make it difficult for Mason, who will have to get the ball off quickly with the Clemson pass rush barring down his neck.
I will give Clemson the advantage in this matchup. Hutson will be able to make some plays when the run game is working, but over the course of 4 quarters Clemson will have the advantage. Having a dominant pass rush makes an average secondary look excellent. Unfortunately for UGA, Clemson has that type of pass rush and has a very good secondary already. I look for UGA to try and make quick passes and not test the Clemson secondary too much. They should only use the passing game to keep the defense honest when Clemson is stacking the box.

Prediction: I hate making predictions, because there are so many factors that could fall for one team or the other on gameday. A bounce of a ball or the interpretation of a referee is impossible to predict. But I think there is one factor that I know is not up to interpretation. That is playing 'Between the Hedges'. Georgia has a great atmosphere. I believe that Death Valley was one of the biggest factors leading to Clemson's victory last year. With that being said I'll have to take Georgia winning 24-20. Clemson can beat Georgia but at this moment with all the information I have, I will have to take the Dawgs. But this game will be so close that it is almost a coin flip. Had this game been played in Death Valley again, I would take the Tigers 24-20.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An Honest UGA V Clemson Breakdown (LONG!!)

Aug 17, 2014, 6:58 PM

bleh..tigers roll!

ignore the SEC fear machine

it creates doubts when none should exist

Clemson made a lot of mistakes and still got a W in 2013

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2014, 7:02 PM

I'm just worried about the o-line in the run game. If you tell me that Clemson rushes for more than 175, then I think they will come out on top.

Tell 'em capon

Aug 17, 2014, 7:09 PM

"If you tell me that Clemson rushes for more than 175, then I think they will come out on top." They, not we ?

Did you forget you were pretending to be a Clemson fan ?

Re: Tell 'em capon

Aug 17, 2014, 7:14 PM

Haha sorry I don't play on the team.. It's kinda hard for me to say we.. I have absolutely no control of the outcome of this game or any other game that Clemson plays...I'll be rooting for the Clemson Tigers on the first Saturday of the college football season and every other Saturday (or Thursday) thereafter. Could care less if you believe me or not.

Aug 17, 2014, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Tell 'em capon ]

I felt the post was very informative and clerly he knows what he's talking about. Just because he picked Georgia to win doesn't mean he hates Clemson.

I'm a Georgia fan and I don't like our odds at South Carolina.

Aug 18, 2014, 12:49 AM

your odds are better against South Carolina

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please name the UGA stable of All-SEC LBs?

Aug 17, 2014, 7:17 PM

Wilson is the only one that made the first or second team.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Please name the UGA stable of All-SEC LBs?

Aug 17, 2014, 7:26 PM

Wilson is very good of course and a consensus All-SEC. I believe that Floyd was a freshman All-SEC and he may have been a Freshman All-American (don't quote me on that though). And Herrea and Jenkins were also good. I think it's kinda common knowledge that they are talented. If Clemson had a more proven SAM, then I would say that Clemson would be just as good. Anthony and a health Steward are probably the two best LB that will be playing on that Saturday.

Re: Please name the UGA stable of All-SEC LBs?

Aug 17, 2014, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Please name the UGA stable of All-SEC LBs? ]

Phil Steele disagrees with you.

Wilson and Floyd made his first team, Jenkins second team, and Herrera third.

Kicking game is important.

Aug 17, 2014, 8:51 PM

Should be mentioned.

No clemson wins and this is why

Aug 17, 2014, 9:06 PM

Clemson will be able to stop UGA in the air where they are forced to run. There offense will become very ineffective and predictable.. Plus, I ve seen qb in the ball game and I am not impressed unless he improves like a 1000 times since ghat last game..

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: No clemson wins and this is why

Aug 17, 2014, 9:21 PM

UGA doesn't a lot of depth at TE. They had to move their
FB there recently with a true Fr. as the backup.

Aug 17, 2014, 9:22 PM [ in reply to No clemson wins and this is why ]

Awesome analysis there

So should I just tell Richt and co. to hang it up?

Aug 17, 2014, 9:26 PM

Yes! PLEASE! ;)

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 17, 2014, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: No clemson wins and this is why ]

Here's another Great analysts , Mason is no Murray who I thought was a terrific QB especially after his offence was decimated around him.
Will be interesting to see how he handles the defensive pressure .
This also applies to Stoudt who seems to be a cool customer at QB.

Aug 17, 2014, 9:50 PM

Mason isn't Murray, but he isn't terrible.

Mason looked fine vs Kentucky, led a massive comeback at Tech, and threw for 300 plus against Nebraska

As I just posted in another thread....

Aug 17, 2014, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: No clemson wins and this is why ]

Murray had the #3 QB rating nationally in 2013 behind the crab-eating rapist and Marcus Mariota. That is hard to replace.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well u can tell him that we will load the box and good luck

Aug 17, 2014, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Re: No clemson wins and this is why ]

Throwing the ball

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

No Way the Tigers are held under 30

Aug 17, 2014, 10:08 PM

You admit the secondary is the achilles heel, and a mistake there is often 6 points. I figure a minimum of 2 mistakes that lead to TDs. That means Clemson scores only 2 more field goals. I just don't see that happening. UGA may win, but won't hold us to 20 points.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No Way the Tigers are held under 30

Aug 17, 2014, 10:33 PM

I have a good friend that works with S.C. Highway
Patrol, now known as the SCDMV.
Gov. Haley, a Clemson grad. has already approved
and funded a one time " Bridge Watch" for the
bridges near the S.C. / Ga. border for the night
of August 30th.
They feel that after the Clem./ Ga. game there
may be a lot of suicide attempts. Don't know which
group of fans she is concerned about, but I
haven't heard of the Georgia Highway Patrol being
concerned on the Georgia side.

Re: No Way the Tigers are held under 30

Aug 18, 2014, 12:51 AM

this has to be the worst joke I have ever seen

Aug 17, 2014, 10:52 PM

Talent wise, UGA on paper has a slight edge. Mentally UGA is undisciplined and plays like a poorly coached team.

Aug 17, 2014, 10:57 PM

"Mentally UGA is undisciplined and plays like a poorly coached team."

LOL WUT?

Aug 17, 2014, 11:04 PM

Think about how many games your mental break downs have cost you in the last few years. Auburn last year. That was the absolute STUPIDEST play in the history of football. Alabama in the SEC championship? How stupid can a player actually be to catch that ball short of the end zone? How many T.D. passes did you D. give up due to leaving receivers completely uncovered? Your special teams? Hilarious.
Yeah, poorly coached team.

Aug 17, 2014, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: An Honest UGA V Clemson Breakdown (LONG!!) ]

Not to mention clock management. Richt and Bobo regularly squander time outs. It can be first and ten and they call time out because they do not like the defensive formation. When they need time outs, they repeatedly do not have them.

Special teams. Have you ever, anywhere else, seen the amount of mental mistakes Ga. special teams made in the last two seasons?

Aug 17, 2014, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: An Honest UGA V Clemson Breakdown (LONG!!) ]

you will lose - period

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic