Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No Undefeated P5 Team will EVER be left out of the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

No Undefeated P5 Team will EVER be left out of the CFP

Oct 15, 2019, 9:27 AM

i dont know what's so hard to understand about that. Its comical to even entertain the notion that an undefeated Clemson team wont make the playoffs. But for 1 second, lets think about what that would actually really mean. There are only 2 ways its even possible in the first place:

1. There is 1 more undefeated team than Playoff spots, meaning 5 teams finish the regular season unbeaten: Not only has it never happened in the history of this sport, with 12 regular season games, conference title games, the Power FIVE conferences, and parity (UGA lol), i can certainly guarantee you, it never will.

2. An unbeaten Clemson will be leaped by 1 loss teams, pushing us back to 5 or lower: forget the fact that we have no idea who those 1 loss teams are, because its October 15th. You're really going to suggest to me that 13-0 Unbeaten, Preseason #1, 2 of 3 Time Defending Champion Clemson, on what would then be a 28 Game Winning Streak would miss the Playoffs? Really? You may think the Committee is biased (they are not), but they certainly aren't stupid. Its full of smart people that understand the BCS went from flawed to Failure once 13-0 Auburn was left out in 2004. They will never vote for the failure of their own system. How about Notre Dame last year? Unbeaten, terrible SOS, no Conference Championship game. Not only did they make the Playoffs, but no 1 loss team was ranked ahead of them. How about 2014 FSU? Defending National Champions. 13-0, but 6 of those wins was by 1 score or less. Their last 4 games before the Playoff (Miami, BC, Florida, and GT) were wins by 4 points or less. They almost lost to a Muschamp coached Florida dumpster fire that just lost to Georgia Southern in the Swamp. They needed a game winning drive in the ACCCG to beat GT 37-35. Playoff Seed: #3. 2018 Notre Dame & 2014 Florida State made the playoffs and didnt even have to play the #1 team. They were both 3 seeds

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Correct

Oct 15, 2019, 9:49 AM

The BCS was flawed (computers) as the AP/USA polls were flawed before that.

The CFP was designed so that no undefeated P5 would EVER get left out having the chance to play for a National Championship. It was literally designed to eliminate 'BAMA, T-OSU, ND, OK, etc....media bias and "style points" from the ranking equation.

The CFP committee is accountable for how they vote. Thank goodness, because if it were up to the media Clemson would never stand a chance.

To all the Clemson HATERS, if your only solution is to expand the CFP to 8 teams just know that the result will more beatdowns being handed out by Clemson. It won't change the end result.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the biggest flaws of the older systems were that

Oct 15, 2019, 10:16 AM

there was originally no playoff or championship game of any sort, it was then expanded to essentially a 2 team playoff which just isn't large enough to include all deserving teams, and we have now expanded to a 4 team playoff which still isn't perfect, but is generally large enough to include the majority of the real title contenders.

The biggest flaw of the BCS wasn't computers or bias, it was simply just too small. If you recall, one of the biggest victims of the BCS system was actually an SEC team as 13-0 Auburn was left out in 2004.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the biggest flaws of the older systems were that

Oct 16, 2019, 8:46 AM

You're confused and incorrect about why the BCBS was scrapped.

First, the AP poll era was not a 2-team playoff or anything even remotely close. You're correct that teams were voted on by unaccountable journalists and coaches, and that it was a popularity contest though. The best teams did not always get voted #1 or #2, and this did not always get a chance to play for the NC.

2cnd, the biggest flaw with the BCS was absolutely 100% computers. The reason the BCS was scrapped was because of the 2012 LSU vs. 'Bama national championship (not for the 2004 Auburn team). The conference commissioners decided to scrap the BCS as specifically due to this outcome and this outcome alone.

Re: Correct

Oct 15, 2019, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Correct ]

If they changed it to 8 teams you'd still have the media claiming we weren't in the top 8, or that Dabos some kind of tyrant or whatever because they hate us.

Well...

Oct 15, 2019, 9:50 AM

if, on the odd chance, you end-up with five or six undefeated P5 teams, as unlikely as that is, someone is going to get left out.

As an example, if Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, and Clemson were all undefeated, someone would absolutely be left on the outside looking in.

Notre Dame would likely be the first out for not playing in and winning a conference championship game. Next, the Committee would have to look closely at strength of schedule and strength of record to eliminate one team from the remaining group of five.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Well...

Oct 15, 2019, 9:55 AM

Never...gonna....happen.

We'll have an 8 team playoff before that unlikely scenario ever plays out.

Otherwise, you're spot on. :)

And if your aunt had balls, she would be your uncle.***

Oct 15, 2019, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 15, 2019, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

Agree except ND not Power 5. A legends team similar to the Ivy League.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

How would you get 6 undefeated P5 teams? There's 5 conferences and 5 conference championships would be played eliminating the 6th team by rule. Only possible way would have 11 teams 12-0 vying for a championship spot and with scheduling I don't believe that's possible.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:13 PM

undefeated team on probation in mix.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:24 PM

They wouldn't be in the mix if they were on probation

I think its more about how 1 loss teams are perceived ...

Oct 15, 2019, 10:10 AM

For every season the CFP has been in existence ...

1 loss SEC > 1 loss B10 > 1 loss B12 > 1 loss ACC > 1 loss P12

The SEC wins by default, based on the narrative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think its more about how 1 loss teams are perceived ...

Oct 15, 2019, 10:14 AM

But in 2017 the two one loss sec teams were ranked behind a one loss clemson and one loss Oklahoma.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: I think its more about how 1 loss teams are perceived ...

Oct 15, 2019, 2:17 PM

Facts aren't welcome here.

I dont think that's true of the committee.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:32 PM [ in reply to I think its more about how 1 loss teams are perceived ... ]

They have absolutely no reason to favor the SEC as the membership is comprised of individuals from all of the conferences, and I think they have done a good job seeding teams during the 5 year existence of the CFP.

What if they're 5 of them?***

Oct 15, 2019, 10:13 AM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: No Undefeated P5 Team will EVER be left out of the CFP

Oct 15, 2019, 10:25 AM

I agree - glad the media is not involved other than some of the bs that comes from them because Clemson would have been left out for sure

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 1:52 PM

There seems to be a mix of 'what if' scenarios here but neither can coincide with the other. You're talking an undefeated Pac-12 champ with Clemson's schedule this year. There are no undefeated Pac-12 teams left. In fact there are only 2 teams with one loss right now. Considering the parity in their league, I doubt it stays that way. So its highly likely the Pac gets left out again this year.

You want to worry about a year where undefeated Clemson gets left out - look forward to 2021. Unless the ACC rebounds that OoC schedule blows sideways.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:11 PM

I agree with what you're saying. I do want to say that I could see the potential for 5 unbeaten teams one day, whether through 5 unbeaten P5 teams, or 4 of them along with ND. I think it's very unlikely, but not impossible. This year we could see unbeaten Clemson, unbeaten SEC team, unbeaten Ohio State, an unbeaten Oklahoma. The PAC 12 is pretty terrible right now, so it wouldn't be that hard to imagine a team like USC if they ever return to anything close to what they used to be going unbeaten. Or if say ND had managed to beat Georgia this season, or not played them.

There's a reason the key conferences are called Power 5,

Oct 15, 2019, 2:55 PM

So, the 'never left out' thesis is DOA.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's much easier than that.

Oct 15, 2019, 7:02 PM

It is possible that an undefeated P5 team could be left out due to having 5 undefeated conference champs. You can exempt Clemson and Bama from that because the committee has shown it respects teams which are winning NCs regularly.

If we have 5 conference champs with zero losses this season and we take out Bama and Clemson because of the credentials the undefeated team with the lowest SOS will be out. SOS means little of nothing until the final polls.

According to the committee they start ranking at the bottom, as ranking the #s 25, 24, 23 teams before the 22, 21 and 20. In their eyes the SOS becomes valuable and gives them as perfect a representation of the actual as can be determined.

THey don't have to worry about 'good losses,' or any of the other ######### metrics we heard about daily. As long as we're making the playoff every year we don't have to fret.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 7:04 PM

What if there are 5 undefeated P5 teams?

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic