Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Chad Kelly could be jogging 2 days after ACL surgery
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Chad Kelly could be jogging 2 days after ACL surgery

May 3, 2013, 12:02 PM

Chad Kelly could be jogging 2 days after ACL surgery

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great news. This young man has a great family.***

May 3, 2013, 12:21 PM

Jogging 2 days after ACL surgery? That's nothing. Hartins

May 3, 2013, 12:26 PM

finished Top 10 in a marathon 3 days after hip replacement surgery.

But serially, hope the Swag is back ASAP!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So, realistically, best case is he could be ready to play

May 3, 2013, 12:58 PM

in the last 3 regular season games. That would really be a waste. Has it been determined that a medical redshirt is out of the question?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You can't medical redshirt for missing 2 games.***

May 3, 2013, 2:27 PM

Re: So, realistically, best case is he could be ready to play

May 4, 2013, 1:28 PM [ in reply to So, realistically, best case is he could be ready to play ]

They probably wouldn't ask for it at this point since he just redshirted and the NCAA likely wouldn't grant it. If it was his last year (like what happened to Case Keenen halfway through the second game), there would be a better chance that he'd be granted an extra year.

I hope that he takes his time.............

May 3, 2013, 1:01 PM

and makes sure that the injury is completely healed before attempting to play on it. Kelly appears to have a bright future ahead of him and a few extra months might just be the difference in ensuring that the knee is stable and fully healed. Although I think normally he is a better option than Stoudt, I think Stoudt will be the better option if Kelly attempts a comeback this year.

No way his doctor will allow that unless its a partial tear

May 3, 2013, 1:07 PM

A complete reconstruction wont even allow weight-bearing for 3 weeks. Crazy statement.

My ortho surgeon told me no such thang as a partial tear

May 3, 2013, 2:02 PM

like being partially pregnant.

ACL only controls lateral motion

May 3, 2013, 2:39 PM [ in reply to No way his doctor will allow that unless its a partial tear ]

Straight lines are no problem. Cutting is the problem.

It's the norm to be able to walk around without crutches or even a noticeable limp prior to ACL surgery.

what about

May 3, 2013, 2:41 PM

collateral motion?

Then he'd have to use centripetal force***

May 5, 2013, 1:05 PM

I was perfectly normal before ACL surgery, even would

May 9, 2013, 7:17 AM [ in reply to ACL only controls lateral motion ]

play sports, my knee just hurt like crap afterwards.

Memphis is right though, it takes a couple weeks to be able to put weight on it as the swelling and pain subsides.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

or he could be jogging 4 days after surgery!***

May 3, 2013, 2:21 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Football Player Update: Chad Kelly could be jogging 2 days after ACL surgery

May 3, 2013, 2:21 PM

I surely hope he gets a medical RS this year. I hate to see him waste a year with only limited action at the end of the year. I just don't understand that logic myself.

Didn't Tony Steward have similar injuries (both knees)? I'm still waiting for Steward to become the beast that we all know he can be. It takes TIME - and you just can't rush that.

Re: Football Player Update: Chad Kelly could be jogging 2 days after ACL surgery

May 3, 2013, 2:51 PM

I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for chad and his family, but I do hope he exercises the patience to allow it to heal properly. His future at Clemson is extremely bright, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that we all want to see him play. Chad will get his shot.

May 3, 2013, 2:52 PM

You cant blame his parents for being optimistic. ... but its a bit far fetched. kind of a misleading title, imo. Stoudt is a good number two. no need to rush back.

No. Misinformation guys

May 3, 2013, 4:45 PM

Sorry but no. Ive had both ACLs done playing, and ive seen the rehab for all 3 types of repair. Majored in Exercise Science too. They simply dont know what theyre talking about with the jogging part. Maybe, maybe in a pool. Unless there is a new surgical technique I dont know about in the last 2 years thats not correct.

Re: No. Misinformation guys

May 3, 2013, 10:28 PM

Agree. I tore mine skiing in March and have surgery coming up in a couple of weeks. I can't imagine attempting to run 2 days after surgery, but then again I'm 47, not a 19-year-old athlete. Was told that I'll be on crutches 1-2 weeks post-surgery.

May 3, 2013, 10:54 PM [ in reply to No. Misinformation guys ]

Either patellar tendon donation or hamstring donation. There is no other way. And an ACL patient is'nt even out of BED 2 days post op, much less jogging.

May 4, 2013, 9:53 AM

There was also a Cadaver graft, but I dont think its as big anymore. They didnt work too well. I had both patellar grafts and im fine. Just the cartilage is still giving me problems. Good luck to Chad

May 4, 2013, 4:38 PM

I didn't have my ACL repaired (still torn). I know there are cartilage tears in there. Couldn't get it done because I was having cartilage in the other knee replaced with, get this, shaped-to-fit transplated achilles tendon from a cow. No sh!t.

May 5, 2013, 3:12 AM

Whhhhat? That's crazy. And I thought the Cadaver graft was some space age stuff haha. Good luck man. Not sure if you've had one done before, but whatever you do, rehab the crap out of it. If you slack on the rehab, you'll pay for it down the road in life.

I had cadaver acl replacement over a year ago .... Doing

May 5, 2013, 11:18 AM

great but NO WAY he is doing anything for the next 2-3 weeks. No way.

And you can't exercise / work out the healing process / growth / attachment process.

Come back 100% and kick some butt, Chad !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: I had cadaver acl replacement over a year ago .... Doing

May 5, 2013, 11:40 AM

Exactly, the ligament has to "re-vascularize" and grow new blood vessels. Athletes that come back before this happens risk another tear.

Exactly. Do the time and come back 100%.***

May 9, 2013, 6:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

May 5, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: No. Misinformation guys ]

This is different. It's called scaffolding. The cow's achilles material is of no use as working cartilage for us humans BUT, it's very porous and full of spaces for our own cartilage to grow into. Once the imlant is attached to the existing outer meniscus rim in the knee(hopefully there's enough remaining to work with) human cartilage cells transfer into the scaffolding and the whole thing over time becomes human tissue. I was part of a clinical trial for this back in 2006 in GA. Still doing good today.

May 5, 2013, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: No. Misinformation guys ]

My son had his ACL reconstructed in October, went home on crutches that day the next morning after the tubes were removed from the incision we took him straight to physical therapy, and they were bending it less than 18 hours after surgery. It all depends on the fitness level of the person prior to surgery. They also do therapy for 3-4 weeks prior to surgery now to strengthen the leg muscles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I had my done I was very fit. I had played hard

May 9, 2013, 7:10 AM

on the torn ACL for 3 years, so I had full leg strength and flexibility back in it before my surgery.

2 days after surgery my nerve block was finally ending and then it just hurt like h3ll for the next 2 weeks. I could put weight and walk/hobble/put weight on it after 2 weeks, but no way he'll be doing anything 2 days out of surgery...unless if he's still on his nerve block...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2013, 1:49 PM

He is gonna lose a year weather he plays or not. He already burned his redshirt year. Med redshirt is just allowing someone that has played a couple game to use his redshirt year.

May 5, 2013, 3:17 AM

You're not understanding. You normally, without getting hurt, have 5 years to play 4. 4 playing years and 1 redshirt year. You can take a redshirt year your freshman year, leaving you 4 years to play, even though you'll be there 5, right? If you get hurt in the very first part of the 1st or 2nd game (I can't remember what the percentage of games it is, but I know it even goes by qtrs), then you can apply for a medical hardship (medical redshirt). So year 1 is normal redshirt, 2 is medical redshirt, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are playing years. You CAN have 6 years. If he was eligible for a medical redshirt, he wouldn't lose a year. Not saying he wouldn't lose this year, saying he wouldn't lose a year of eligibility. Hope this helps.

This is correct, we will have Chad for 4 years after next.

May 9, 2013, 7:11 AM

Giving him 2 years behind Boyd, and then 4 years of mature leadership.

A great scenario (hopeful thinking)

May 5, 2013, 11:45 AM

The ole ball sack Spurrior prepares gameplan for Boyd....and the Chad uses Swag a series or two to disrupt the dirtpeckers!!

Similar to what happened with Connor Shaw and their Freshman. Would be brilliant provided Swag could play.

Thoughts anyone???

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, we're going to medical redshirt Chad.***

May 9, 2013, 7:12 AM

No, IF we APPLY for a medical redshirt

May 9, 2013, 11:23 AM

that in no way means it will ACTUALLY happen.

Here's some info on ACL reconstruction for those nerds out

May 5, 2013, 1:12 PM

there...

http://www.aosportsmedicine.com/update-on-acl-reconstruction

Chad did not have ACL reconstruction

May 9, 2013, 7:24 AM

big difference in a repairing a tear, and a reconstructive surgery. HUGE difference

May 5, 2013, 6:39 PM

I just hope Swag is back for the USC game so he can take one 70 yards to the house to put away a Clemson victory in Billy-Brice. God knows that fanbase hates this kid, I'm hoping he never loses to those SOBs.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic