Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I thought they might redshirt Dukes and Mellusi
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

I thought they might redshirt Dukes and Mellusi

Oct 29, 2019, 11:28 AM

they could alternate using them and cover 8 games. The fact that they havent tells me they feel very good about the rb spots and our recruiting at that position going forward.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought they might redshirt Dukes and Mellusi

Oct 29, 2019, 11:34 AM

I take it a different way.

They are willing to use up a year for each of them to try to get them prepared for next season because they are unsure of how the RB depth chart will look next season.

Either Dukes or Mellusi could be anywhere from 1-5 on the depth chart next season.

It's totally wide open and the coaches are trying to make sure they have multiple guys with experience.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2019, 12:04 PM

Most of the players we sign now are so talented that they have decisions to make after their 3rd year at Clemson, either the NFL or transfer portal. Redshirting does not have the value of a few years ago, and our coaches are wise to play the frosh that are ready.

Oct 29, 2019, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: I thought they might redshirt Dukes and Mellusi ]

Yeah, they HAVE to get them ready.

Next year it's Lyn-J Dixon...and them. I think everybody knows Etienne is off to the NFL. Even Rencher graduates.

Dukes and Mellusi have to be game-ready and experienced next year because you need a minimum of three backs to survive a season...especially a season as long as the ones Clemson tends to play nowadays.

Any prognostication on where Bowman fits in the depth chart?***

Oct 29, 2019, 5:32 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any prognostication on where Bowman fits in the depth chart?***

Oct 29, 2019, 8:45 PM

Hard to know yet. How's his pass protection? That's a huge thing for Elliott.

they have to remain in their class

Oct 29, 2019, 12:05 PM

because that would put 3 or 4 RBs in next years class with Pryor and Bowman coming in. And if all things remain the same, I actually believe that Pryor and Bowman means that we have out-recruited Mellusi and Dukes. This reminds me of Higgins and Rodgers coming in, and proving that Overton and Powell had been out-recruited. Pryor is a much bigger one-cut, pound it inside back than Mellusi, and Bowman is game changer in the mold of ETN and Dixon...
Mellusi is proving to be a viable short yardage back but at 205, he's not beefy enough to simply be "that guy" for "three yards and cloud of dust" compared to a "typical" 220lb Pryor who already squats D1 level weight in high school...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they have to remain in their class

Oct 29, 2019, 12:16 PM

You guys really think that Pryor and Bowmen are going to come in and take a position from Dukes and Messulli. You guys haven’t learned yet that you have to earn playing time at Clemson and Pryor is not fast enough to play and Bowman has to learn to play at the college level stop letting the stars foul you’ll. Stars mean nothing when you get on the playing field.

not once did I reference stars, your inference is inaccurate

Oct 29, 2019, 12:47 PM

as well, I clearly illustrated an example of why I made my thoughts known; not because of stars but because of previously demonstrated ability...
I may be right, I may be wrong but college football and Clemson football history is littered with freshmen having an immediate impact over veterans and upper-classmen: do you recognize these names? Travis Etienne, Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, Mitch Hyatt, Anthony Simmons, DeShaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, John Johnson, Ed McDaniel, Ronald Williams, Mackensie Alexander, Donnell Woolford, Dexter Davis, Michael Dean Perry...
but of course, time proves all thoughts and opinions to be true or false...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not once did I reference stars, your inference is inaccurate

Oct 29, 2019, 2:41 PM

You are making your statement based off of stars. Would you expect the two freshmen to start over a Heismen Trouphy candidate. I would think not. Your past assessment of players playing over upperclassmen is irrelevant right now. Clemson recruits 100 times better than they did in the early 2000’s. For you to make the statement about Bowmen and Pryor out recruiting Dukes and Chez funny.

No. I thivk he is pointing out

Oct 29, 2019, 2:50 PM

players who have come in and started with more experienced guys moved down the depth chart

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No. I thivk he is pointing out

Oct 29, 2019, 2:57 PM

Ok, time will tell.

Oct 29, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: not once did I reference stars, your inference is inaccurate ]

I don't get that impression with Pryor. He specifically compared him to Mellusi as a short yardage back. As for Bowman, if you mean that there is an assumption that he will be very good based on stars then you might be right. However, I would assume that he is a 5 star back because he is very, very good. He certainly will be in the mix competing for playing time.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I think part of the comment was saying that if Bowman and Pryor earn the playing time then that would give us 4 guys in the same class. Common sense tells us that you do not want to later need to replace 4 RB's at one time.

Oct 29, 2019, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: not once did I reference stars, your inference is inaccurate ]

I'm not really a part of the back and forth between the two of you, but how is what he is suggesting any different than Tyler Davis walking on campus and taking the DT position from everyone who was already on the roster?

We are literally playing with on 1 DT on most defensive snaps and it's a true freshman.

Why is the RB position different?

Also Ladson and Ngata are taking snaps and depth chart positions from older guys as well.

Our current recruiting level is more reason to think this will happen and not a reason to think that guys on campus can't be passed by incoming players.

Where I do think you are correct is that the new guys have to perform to move in front on current players.

It happens frequently at Clemson.

My apologies, but is this Chez or Mikey??

Oct 29, 2019, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: not once did I reference stars, your inference is inaccurate ]

keep working hard young man, and you will earn your time... but do realize that the best will play and play often regardless of class, and I really hope that ALL of you play often...

and also, the high school film of all these players is what I based my thoughts on, not stars, the stars literally mean very little to the actual ability and motivation of the player. When the motivation is the same, the ability will create the pecking order because I believe that I can safely assume that any young man that is recruited by Clemson will be properly motivated...

Re: My apologies, but is this Chez or Mikey??

Oct 29, 2019, 5:11 PM

Knuck® said:

keep working hard young man, and you will earn your time... but do realize that the best will play and play often regardless of class, and I really hope that ALL of you play often...

and also, the high school film of all these players is what I based my thoughts on, not stars, the stars literally mean very little to the actual ability and motivation of the player. When the motivation is the same, the ability will create the pecking order because I believe that I can safely assume that any young man that is recruited by Clemson will be properly motivated...

Haha yes that has got to be a family member or girlfriend to be so upset that you would dare mention two highly recruited RBs coming in and earning immediate playing time.

Re: My apologies, but is this Chez or Mikey??

Oct 29, 2019, 8:31 PM

No I’m not a family member or know any of these guys personally. I just think high school ball and college ball are totally different. Hey maybe if you go to a camp or two you can get that 5th star as a arm chair dan.

Re: they have to remain in their class

Oct 29, 2019, 12:16 PM [ in reply to they have to remain in their class ]

You guys really think that Pryor and Bowmen are going to come in and take a position from Dukes and Messulli. You guys haven’t learned yet that you have to earn playing time at Clemson and Pryor is not fast enough to play and Bowman has to learn to play at the college level stop letting the stars foul you’ll. Stars mean nothing when you get on the playing field.

Oct 29, 2019, 12:18 PM

No need to redshirt them the way Clemson recruits right now.

Oct 29, 2019, 12:33 PM

Etienne must have(idk) already told the coaches he would explore his NFL option this year! Or the coaches have said simply: we have 9 and 23 then who? What happens if either of those two get hurt who are you going to play? Rencher? Good guy by all accounts and from every interview I have ever seen: seems like a quality person top to bottom. But, is he a game changing D1 caliber RB? I think he could be personally. He has good short area quickness and is tougher than you would think. Then you have the two freshmen. Do you trust them? I don't think they got RS because you never know when someone is going to tweak something!

And, you need these guys getting experience when possible or you will be looking at basically - Dixon as the only back w/experience next year.

Instead you give Dukes and Melussi touches and have them gain experience.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way, we need them to get reps for next year

Oct 29, 2019, 2:51 PM

ETN leaves Lyn-J and walk-on Rencher.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and I will add to your comment that they were both

Oct 29, 2019, 3:32 PM

recruited to play now, especially given the depth chart

Re: and I will add to your comment that they were both

Oct 29, 2019, 4:53 PM

I think that "looking to the future"mentality is also part of the reason Feaster left.

If Clemson runs the ball 450x in a 15-game season, how are the carries split?
Etienne 200
QB position 60-70
Dixon 100
Dukes + Mellusi 60
Old guys+ Rencher + walk-ons 30-40

Even playing as little as the Gamecocks have used him, he still gets more carries there.

Feaster left cause he came in 5* - with ETN....and ETN

Oct 29, 2019, 5:16 PM

showed what all those stars really mean.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feaster left cause he came in 5* - with ETN....and ETN

Oct 29, 2019, 7:54 PM

I remember ETN being really good but his pass blocking was bad as a freshman. Maybe that's part of getting these younger guys some reps. They get to work on running and blocking and maybe 1 or both of them will be better at both plus stronger next year. It will be good competition next year with 2 freshman and 2 sophomores with Dixon as the Veteran. It's a great problem to have.

With new redshirt rules and transfer portal, it doesn’t make

Oct 29, 2019, 7:55 PM

sense to me to redshirt any skill position. I can see O-Line, D-Line needing that year to grow/get stronger. But if a skill guy isn’t getting playing time, they might just transfer

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic