Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We have to get out of the ACC. Our entire fan base is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

We have to get out of the ACC. Our entire fan base is

Nov 25, 2013, 7:13 PM

becoming more and more the wine and cheese crowd everyday.

It used to be Clemson people were Blue Collar and tough. They would follow the Tigers anywhere and pull for their team in any stadium--ANY DAY. Now, going to Cooterville hurts the "sensitivities" of some of our soft, pampered fan base.

"We know they will treat us right Buffy in Charlottesville and Chapel Hill where they play civilized sports like Basketball. But Gazooks! If we have to play big-boy football and pull for our team and mix with their fans in nasty Athens, Baton Rouge, or Cooterville I think we would just both die. Pass me another cheese bite and the wine again Buffy"

YACK YACK YACK.

I long for the day of Old School Clemson fans.

I will be there standing tall for my Tigers!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have to get out of the ACC. Our entire fan base is

Nov 25, 2013, 7:22 PM

Having traveled to every ACC school except the new ones for football games, I feel I'm qualified to say that Clemson fans are NOTHING like the rest of our conference. Don't throw our lot in with them, and don't act like you're the only beer drinking fan we have left. You won't be alone on Saturday, my friend.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree..kind of

Nov 25, 2013, 7:31 PM

Having been to every ACC stadium for a game including the new ones, I agree but I do feel that the culture at Clemson is changing and is kind of at a crossroads. The older fan base is trying to cling to what makes Clemson Clemson but the new clemson fans and students are more like the rest of the private school ACC. For the love of God our fan base woo hoos and woos at the end of the cadence count. ###!!!! We need to get back to hard nose football with attitude (not gay we too deep attitude) but skull and crossbones attitude.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We now have wine and cheese students, so naturally

Nov 25, 2013, 7:40 PM

the fan base follows.

I doubt I would be accepted into Clemson today and I imagine a lot of others who attended in the 80's would be in the same boat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:The culture is changing and I for one am glad to see it.

Nov 25, 2013, 8:19 PM [ in reply to agree..kind of ]

I have been around for a long time and much prefer it. Not that the old ways were bad but you have to accept change. Football is football. Blocking, tackling and kicking is foremost. We need to emphasize those three and the rest will follow. Unfortunately, our OL has a heck of a long way to go.

My father, a student in the early '50s, used to epitomize

Nov 25, 2013, 9:19 PM

Frank Howard football as:

"Three grunts and a punt."

But, that was somewhat the stage football offenses were in most places

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thumb me down if you want to BUT you know I am

Nov 25, 2013, 7:30 PM

telling the truth. And it burns me up to have to tell it so harsh to fellow Tiger fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thumb me down if you want to BUT you know I am

Nov 25, 2013, 7:38 PM

This is some nostalgic bs. We have continued to pack DV and I have been to games in the Ford, Hatfield, West, and Bowden era. Its this notion that you brought it harder than anyone else. Its nostalgia man...this notion of us old foggies who just were super fans and never missed a game is complete and utter bs.

Our fans are just fine. We win the tailgate and the game. Whine and cheese my ***

Sorry. If I have to hear another Clemson fan carry on

Nov 25, 2013, 8:05 PM

that going to Cooterville is "such a burden" I am going to pull all my hair out. WB's intimidation is a myth that is getting older and older by the day.

Nov 25, 2013, 7:37 PM

Tell ya what internet tough guy; when they start allowing conceal carry in stadiums, I'll be lining up to sit beside you and cheer for the Tigers, no matter where the game is, but the world we live in has become more and more depraved. Ever hear of the "knockout game"?? My God, just look at all of the shootings in 5 points alone, and you actually have the nerve to call people out for placing the value of their lives above attending a football game? Sorry, not buying it. I refuse to allow gutless politicians to make me or my wife an easy target for the scum that resides in that cess pool.

Nov 25, 2013, 7:40 PM

If you honestly feel the need to carry a gun into a football stadium where thousands of people are around you drinking then I am glad you stay at home. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Your life must suck if you can't go anywhere without watching your back. You live in Compton?

I have never carried a gun to a game. I guess I am bliss.

Nov 25, 2013, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: We have to get out of the ACC. Our entire fan base is ]

I have gone to 30 straight Clemson-USuC games. I feel no need to wear body armor. It is such a myth it is laughable.

Re: The whole darn town is not safe. Now known as "Rock

Nov 25, 2013, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: We have to get out of the ACC. Our entire fan base is ]

City."

You can't be serious

Nov 26, 2013, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: We have to get out of the ACC. Our entire fan base is ]

I've been going to Carolina games, including a multitude of Carolina-Clemson games, and I have yet to see so much as a fist fight in WB. Same for games in Clemson...never seen a fight. Oh, I've seen some tough guy jawing and ribbing but nothing remotely like you're trying to pawn off here.

Why don't you crawl out from your rock and actually go to the game...you might be surprised at what the area around the stadium has become...not that it was EVER what you are trying to sell here.

And you think you need to pack weapons? LMFAO. I live in ATL...guess you never come here for fear of your life either huh?

While I agree in principal with your assessment, its not

Nov 25, 2013, 7:37 PM

the result of ACC affiliation. Don't forget we were members of the same conference during the period when Tiger fans "would follow the Tigers anywhere and pull for their team in any stadium".

I think its just a cultural phenomenon reflective of our entire culture. I first began to notice when the wife were in the midst of a long run of not missing a game home or away. The folks at the away games were getting older and there were no crowds of younger folks who were following in the footsteps. There were some, just not as many.

Plus, there have long been complaints about having the chickentech game the same week as Thanksgiving. Elongating schedules, adding conference championship games; all have contributed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: While I agree in principal with your assessment, its not

Nov 25, 2013, 7:42 PM

And here comes the usual "young fans suck" crowd. I would love to see the average attendance stats for the past 50 years.

Nov 25, 2013, 8:07 PM

hey....if the truth hurts, so be it. I was merely making an observation from real life experience.

Nov 25, 2013, 8:12 PM

Well from my experience the old folks at the game sit on their hands and pretend they are at church. Hell, half the time they turn around and look at us like being loud isn't acceptable behavior at a football game.

The truth of the matter is that that is anecdotal, and isn't at all reflective of older fans in the fanbase, just like it isn't true that younger fans are softer or whatever garbage anyone wants to come up with.

Clemson fans young and old come together to make Clemson what it is, and painting with a broad brush that young Clemson fans are soft just isn't representing the whole truth. When I lived on the east coast I made a lot of away games and from my experience both young and old alike traveled. I think we would all do well to stop pointing fingers here and start embracing the fact that the Clemson family, young and old, are a special bunch of people.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Right on and he can forget getting out of the ACC. It

Nov 25, 2013, 8:25 PM

is not going to happen. That guy is peeing in the wind.

Nov 25, 2013, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: While I agree in principal with your assessment, its not ]

Bull crap man...I'm 30, and have been to countless road trips with fans/alum my age. Every time I go on road trips there are tons of younger fans there.

Just saying something out loud doesn't means it's actually true. In your day did you also walk up hill 10 miles in a foot of snow for every Clemson game too?

Nov 25, 2013, 8:17 PM

both directions

Nov 25, 2013, 8:21 PM

Impressive, old timer.

and btw....

Nov 25, 2013, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: While I agree in principal with your assessment, its not ]

the change in culture was not the only point I made.

And if I was so wrong, where are these "hordes" of young folks scrambling to buy up extra tix???? To quote Shakespeare(poorly): "I believe thou protesteth too much."

Re: and btw....

Nov 25, 2013, 8:54 PM

If you're so right, how come the older hardcore fans allowed there to be extra tickets????? Surely this older generation is so mighty in their fandom that they requested 10x the allotted amount, right!?!?

Old and young alike, our fanbase is awesome. There is no distinguishing difference and all ages are extremely rabid and loyal. Saying there are issues w/ the younger fans is just silly.

Re: and btw....

Nov 25, 2013, 9:17 PM

correct....and the point leapt upon was one of several I made in an attempt--not apologize--to explain the return of tix. I'm sure everyone has their own reason. Like many, while attending 10 or 11 games a year every for a long time, I had to stop going to Columbia every other year. It just seemed the wiser thing to do.

Nov 25, 2013, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: While I agree in principal with your assessment, its not ]

Its not real life. I am at the same games you are. You just choose to sensationalize a tad

Good insights.***

Nov 25, 2013, 8:03 PM [ in reply to While I agree in principal with your assessment, its not ]

Blue collar? This is not West Virginia. Most adults in

Nov 25, 2013, 7:45 PM

DV have a college degree.

No. But Clemson people had a toughness about them

Nov 25, 2013, 8:02 PM

you don't find today.

Re: No. But Clemson people had a toughness about them

Nov 25, 2013, 8:16 PM

Along about the early '70s, some attitudes changed. Clemson fans had a stadium and didn't feel the need to visit certain foes strictly on an away basis.....and that also meant we didn't have to put up with their bs either.

I agree with you, and while it may have a stage Clemson fandom went through, no longer did we shy away from the taunting stupidity of UGa, usuck, or GaTech,etc, fans. Confrontation was likely. I actually enjoyed the reputation as Clemson fans being genteel Southern hosts at tailgates, but also having something of a bad attitude in certain situations.

Well, Clemson ISN'T getting out of the ACC...

Nov 25, 2013, 7:50 PM

that's reality. Sorry if you don't like it.

Ticket prices, and

Nov 25, 2013, 8:04 PM

Better TV coverage, escalating costs, lowering incomes, and more danger for fans are the factors for declining attendance.

Schools are pricing the wage earners with families right out of the ball park..literally.

I don't think the passion has changed for Tiger football by any age group. All the old heads like me still carry a torch for the Good ol days as we like to call em.

Re:This is the first time, in many decades, that I did not

Nov 25, 2013, 8:35 PM

attend home games. I bought tickets for some games but did not use them. We have priced many fans out of the games . Plus you can get a lot done at home and still enjoy the game.

Re: You're right. I wish we could.***

Nov 25, 2013, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Well, Clemson ISN'T getting out of the ACC... ]

Ask West Viriginia how well that move worked.***

Nov 25, 2013, 8:25 PM

I've been going to away games for many yrs. and I tend to

Nov 25, 2013, 8:24 PM

make a lot of noise at games (not vulgar or mean, just loud)...and opposing fans tend to take notice of that in a rather negative way. Well, I've run away from many a good fight, and my face really appreciates it. However, I don't run as well as I used to...Those folks in Athens can keep it. They'll never see me again. I go to a game for the tailgating, pageantry, and excitement/noise of the game. Mean people just ruin it for me.

Re: i live in Columbia and will not go to the game

Nov 25, 2013, 8:48 PM

We used to go every time it was here and let other family members use the tickets when it was in Clemson. The traffic control is awful. Parking is worse. Chicken fans have gotten worse if that is possible. Then you throw in the fact that gang violence has gotten a lot worse downtown. Lastly, my kids have gotten older and have activities almost every weekend. Get off your high horse. Props to you if you go but accept that many of us have a ton of reasons not to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

But AThomas, I thought we were supposed to be scared and

Nov 25, 2013, 8:57 PM

wussy about every opponent we face? That seems to fly in the face of tough and blue collar.

Filo Betto - How does battling and fighting to win a game

Nov 26, 2013, 9:21 AM

equate to wussy? Battling means you are fighting for it--not showing up like Hollywood and winning 70-0--which is unrealistic. We will have to fight for it on the field.

"The traffic is awful"

Nov 25, 2013, 8:58 PM

No offense, but this one doesn't make sense. I've been to tiger town plenty of times and you have to wait hours to get out of the town because it is on campus.

Our stadium is off campus with large roadways for motorist to get out on. There is no debate on which school has better traffic control.

Also, you're worried about gang violence? College football isn't exactly the most diverse collection of individuals in the stands. I'm not sure why you're worried about that.

Re:you are right about one thing

Nov 25, 2013, 9:07 PM

There is no doubt which school has better traffic control. At chicken u, the traffic control sort of starts a few blocks from the stadium. Try to get somewhere on main street or assembly on game day. Nothing but gridlock. There are large streets exiting the stadium but no control. Much easier getting out of Clemson even from lots right by the stadium than parking a mile from the roach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Nov 26, 2013, 1:41 PM

has nothing to do with being in the ACC. The culture of tailgating has changed. 20 years ago, you could walk thru the parking lots during the game and it was a ghost town. Now tailgating is also a social and fashion event. SAT requirements, ticket prices and IPTAY "dues" are much higher than 25 years ago, meaning the old school blue collar tailgaters are being replaced with the young successful and wealthy.

please just get over it...

Nov 26, 2013, 1:42 PM

nm

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic