Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's time to drop games like Wofford.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

It's time to drop games like Wofford.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:10 AM

It isn't doing us any good. May hurt us. It's not even a first week game. No use for this now, especially in today's College FB. We should be picking up at least a mid level, decent team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's time to drop games like Wofford.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:20 AM

like UCF, Houston, Tulsa, USF

No.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:24 AM

Re: No.

Oct 28, 2019, 1:51 AM

Everything you just said can be had playing a mid level team....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 12:28 AM

Go take a look at any schedule in the "mighty" SEC. In conference is all they have to hang their hat on, for the most part (at least aTm can say they played US). Unfortunately, the SEC bias makes a weak OOC schedule not matter...

Meanwhile, we'll play TWO SEC teams, and (good lord willing) will have beaten them both, with only GA St. and Wofford as a detriment. I'd say our OOC schedule looks better than any in the SEC, so it isn't even really about that. It's the SEC bias.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do know it's state law that Clemson and your coots have to play an in-state FCS team

Oct 28, 2019, 12:45 AM

https://espnupstate.radio.com/blogs/diesel/why-tigers-and-gamecocks-should-remove-fcs-schedules

the story at your link even says it’s just policy not a state law.***

Oct 28, 2019, 12:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I read this in the 1st paragraph

Oct 28, 2019, 7:00 AM

"...introduce the way Clemson (and South Carolina) can circumvent the state law that mandates the two state Power 5 schools play an in-state FCS squad..."

I admit, I didn't read the whole article. So, it's poor writing if it's not a law. But, it was on topic for the first two paragraphs, I'd figure I'd post it.

Another sports media clown

Oct 28, 2019, 1:03 AM [ in reply to You do know it's state law that Clemson and your coots have to play an in-state FCS team ]

he also says coots should schedule winnabe games

Oct 28, 2019, 6:20 AM

like FSU, Wake, Duke and Lou

FSU 16-3
Duke 24-17-3
Wake 20-34-2
overall coots have a losing record against those 4 winnable teams lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no such law***

Oct 28, 2019, 5:19 AM [ in reply to You do know it's state law that Clemson and your coots have to play an in-state FCS team ]

Oct 28, 2019, 12:49 AM

The only reason it wasnt week 1 is because the ACC network wanted Clemson vs Georgia Tech to be their season opener so Wofford had to be rescheduled.

GO TIGERS

Oct 28, 2019, 12:51 AM

Why? Everyone else schedules cupcakes too. A&M was supposed to have been our schedule strengthening game.

Oct 28, 2019, 1:56 AM

Every other team don't play in a watered down ACC either. We are an elite FB team playing in a basketball conference, and that is the honest truth!!!

Oct 28, 2019, 9:27 AM

Just like most Power 5 schools, Clemson isnt going to do anything that would jeopardize having 7 home games every season. If we replaced Wofford with a decent team, they are going to want a trip to ther stadium in return. Its just not happening.

GO TIGERS

Oct 28, 2019, 1:36 AM

For anyone to say something like, “We (Clemson) need to stop doing what we have been doing” after going to the playoff 4 years in a row, winning 2 out of 3 natties and sitting perfectly perched for another run tells me all I need to know about you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Everything is going perfect, so let's change it.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:04 PM

Obviously, the OP is not a Tiger fan.

I'd rather put these games at the start of the year

Oct 28, 2019, 1:38 AM

and put games like aTm in here this week when we had some real film on them. How much different would the games against the Aggies have been later in the year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd rather put these games at the start of the year

Oct 28, 2019, 8:02 AM

But the conference and TV sets the schedule.

Bama will be playing Western Carolina in 3 weeks, to rest up for the Iron Bowl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 1:44 AM

Appy State is coming for the Gamecocks and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Write the athletic department a check for 6 million dollars

Oct 28, 2019, 2:17 AM

For the loss of a 7th home game and DRad will be happy to schedule a FBS team. The athletic department needs 7 home games every year and it’s difficult to find FBS teams who don’t require a return trip to their stadium, because they also need 7 home games. If your reason for another FBS team is the CFP, Clemson has no worries if they go undefeated and in most years lose 1 game and win the conference title their still in the playoffs. Clemson is a member of the ACC and the ACC along with the 4 other P5 conferences own the College Football Playoffs and they aren’t leaving an undefeated conference champion out of the playoffs, because it would cause the partnership to collapse.

Re: Write the athletic department a check for 6 million dollars

Oct 28, 2019, 5:36 AM

If Clemson and other P5 programs didn’t provide an FCS school this revenue, I’m not certain how long these schools could keep playing football. There is some economics to consider as well.

Re: Write the athletic department a check for 6 million dollars

Oct 28, 2019, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Write the athletic department a check for 6 million dollars ]

The replacement income for the missing 7th game would be
A) one-off game with mid-major/Group of 5 team because let’s face it…Clemson is not going to play Troy at Troy. Or my preferred option....
B) Add another round to the CFP. Higher seeded teams host on-campus Quarter Finals..just like every other level of football outside of FBS. That option would bring more income that in-state FCS IMHO, though it would involve a quick turn-around for ticket and facility people depending when the games are scheduled but for the $$ they would figure it out. Only drawback is slightly more wear-n-tear on the guys for playing a higher level of competition

This is a huge revenue generator for a school in our state

Oct 28, 2019, 5:51 AM

If we are going to play these types of games, I have always said it best to play in state schools.

Wofford, Furman, Coastal, SC State, etc.

Plus...it's Military Appreciation Day so this game/day is not even really about football...only in the small sense. This day will be much bigger than the game itself.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do I smell feathers?***

Oct 28, 2019, 6:52 AM

Tiger/Terrier

Maybe you are right we should drop U5uC***

Oct 28, 2019, 6:56 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe you are right we should drop U5uC***

Oct 28, 2019, 7:12 AM

I would never be in favor of dropping Sakerlina. It is the one day a year their lies and clouded vision are corrected. They can’t hide behind Hope, conference “strength”, their belief that they are the state’s “flagship school”, etc. Even better than hitting the delusional fans in the nose with a rolled up newspaper, is that local recruits can see it too.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pounding the coots is fun!

Oct 28, 2019, 9:03 AM

Always has been, but lately it's been more fun since their little 4 and 5 bombs on our coaching staff and prominent members

Oh I AGREE this was directed to petesCOOT

Oct 28, 2019, 9:11 AM

:)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 7:05 AM

I think you will see our schedule will be ok at the end of the season. Just because the media doesn’t want to vote them in with a loss or two, doesn’t mean they aren’t good compared to other ranked teams. They get punished following the same agenda we do...the ACC is weak. Wait until the end of the season and rank the teams and see where the ACC is. Remember, it’s the same people voting that caused the creation of the BCS.

This is an awful take

Oct 28, 2019, 7:09 AM

We only play one FCS team a year, and it does so much good for the smaller schools in SC for Clemson/UofSC to continue scheduling them. It's also a good opportunity for the ones to stay loose playing a quarter or two while the young guys get most of the in-game experience.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 7:14 AM

Wofford doesnt hurt us a bit. Nothing hurts us.

Oct 28, 2019, 7:19 AM

I think the Citadel gave Bama fits, beat USC, Applichian State beat Michigan and gave us a good game. Winning them all is the goal... do that and we will always be in. They just don’t like the new kid beating up the older kids on the block.

Message was edited by: tigersnake1954®

Exactly

Oct 28, 2019, 9:12 AM

We have crashed the blue bloods party and they aren't very happy about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 7:59 AM

While most other teams were playing their usual 2 cupcakes during the first two weeks of the season, we had a conference game (Ga Tech) then Texas A&M. We already schedule 2 SEC teams most years (although one of them is SCAR), or Notre Dame. Who would have predicted the hot mess that FSU has become, but they're on the schedule too?

Last year, Bama's OOC schedule was: Louisville, Arkansas State, Louisiana, and The Citadel. This year they were slightly better: Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and Western Carolina.

Our OOC scheduling is certainly more challenging than Bamas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 8:03 AM

I don’t mind playing the (2)Power -5, (1) In State FCS, (1) Group of 5 setup.

Now I do think we need to pull some strings and fix something for 2021 season schedule.

I would prefer the group of 5 game be a more regional Team.

Also our in-state FCS schools are better than many Group of 5 teams. BigTen teams playing MAC teams are not playing better competition.

Let's Consider Wofford's Approach To This Game

Oct 28, 2019, 8:09 AM

The Terriers are in the hunt for the Southern Conference title. Their approach has to be -- No. 1 Make sure the check clears and No. 2 Don't suffer any season-ending injuries. The Tigers must still bring it Saturday. Remember last year, Alabama and The Citadel were tied at 10 at the half.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To the OP:

Oct 28, 2019, 9:00 AM

If your opinion says that we (Clemson) should change policy, violate whatever legislation our legislature passed (not sure if it was law or non-binding resolution, but we discuss it multiple times per year), and drop our friendly rotational thrashing of our in-state cousins...

should the other guys (SouKarliner) drop Chas Southern from their schedule?

Just asking your opinion. This is about the only time I'll care what you think, since it's usually only a regurgitation of what some SEC braggart whispers in your ear.

Here is why I disagree.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:01 AM

Playing Wofford is GOOD for Clemson.

For years, FSU fans complained about Florida starting off the season by playing two cupcakes at home. I defended them for this reason: Put 80,000 people in the stands, pay the opponent a relatively small fee for coming, and you net about 2 million dollars profit. Those two games essentially paid for all of the non-revenue sports at the university.

If I were an AD and were able to do so, I would schedule two patsies every year. And, in a pre-game ceremoney I would have all the athletes from the non-revenue sports (half one game and half the other) on the field. The announcer would say something like, "All of these athletes, and all the coaches and trainers and support staff want to thank you. Your attendance here today has made it possible for these fine young athletes to represent this university in their sports. (And, then I'd list every sport except football, basketball and baseball.)

I'd make it a celebration and a great big THANK YOU!

Buying two home wins is a lot more profitable than playing a home and home against Vandy or Purdue or Boise St. or UCF.

And, in the end, it doesn't matter. Win 'em all and you're in the playoffs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 9:08 AM

While Clemson's OOC schedule matches favorably against any in the country, there is no reason for ANY FBS playing a FCS team. Hey, and I'm a Citadel grad whose school benefits greatly from FBS games. That said, despite the rare upset, there's no point to it. Clemson, and other schools, should be scheduling a Group of 5 type opponent instead of an FCS school. Given the ACC's challenges, Clemson needs to consider beefing up the OOC schedule even more.

There needs to be a way to funnel money from FBS to FCS to help keep these schools' programs viable. I'd suggest an August "preseason game" which any team can schedule and it doesn't count towards standings.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:08 AM

Yea if my team lost to teams like Citadel like yours did I wouldnt want to play them anymore either.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Oct 28, 2019, 1:08 PM

All jokes aside, in the 90's The Citadel had beaten so many 1-A teams stopped scheduling us and it hurt our athletic department revenue.

There was serious discussion back then for the Southern Conference to move to Division 1-A as most of the member institution met the requirements for the league to move up. The Southern Conference, with Marshall, Georgia Southern, Furman, The Citadel and App State, was a very good conference at that time.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:25 AM

When PetesPonies lays it out like this, I take note, almost as though the rock solid guidepost E. F. Hutton had said it.

People listen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No! Forget that idea.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:57 AM

I love helping in-state SC schools improve their programs, even though it hurts our SOS. That huge cash flow into those programs makes a huge difference in their growth, and does not hurt our team at all. I actually prefer having ONLY SC schools though, and not bother playing teams like Troy, North Texas State, Ga Southern, etc.

Relax man. Win 5 more and we are in.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:58 AM

No 1-loss team is going to jump us. We have 2 SEC teams on our schedule. We play 8 ACC games. One mid-major and 1 FCS SC school. That will get it done.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 9:58 AM

Since it is the Military Appreciation game, I would love to see us schedule one of the service academies. Nothing against Wofford.

Is it really showing appreciation if we beat the **** out of them though?

Oct 28, 2019, 10:03 AM

nm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You must consider this

Oct 28, 2019, 10:46 AM

When you talk of scheduling games. There are very few teams that will be willing to come to Death Valley and play without a home and home agreement. Games like Wofford are easier to schedule simply because the Terriers will get a very handsome paycheck for their visit this weekend. Money that will go a long way towards financing their team. Money that can’t get without playing on the road at a bigger school. I am very much against playing Wofford because it does not help our program in any way.

I sincerely wish we were playing UF this weekend because I think that they are one of the most overrated team this season. The Tigers would destroy the Gators in DV and prove easily that the SEC is NOT that powerful but, alas, that ain’t gonna happen.

I’ll be in the Valley Saturday and I hope that you will be too. Tickets can be had for this game and military appreciation day is something you will remember. Make this your first Tiger game if you haven’t been to Clemson previously. There are many on tnet who fit this description. Go Tigers

Oct 28, 2019, 3:46 PM

LOL "us"....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic