Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year?

Feb 28, 2015, 7:25 PM

If we split our last two with NC State and Notre Dame, that's where we sit.

We've won a couple that we probably should have lost, and we've lost a couple that we certainly should have won.

We've played lights out at times and we've look absolutely horrid at other times.

But ... 17 wins and a .500 ACC record?

Did you honestly expect that we would be better than that this year ... and if so, why?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without KJ, that exceeds expectations. With KJ, below.***

Feb 28, 2015, 7:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Way, way below

Feb 28, 2015, 8:03 PM

I think that team could've won 25 games or more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were years when we didn't even win 12 games and

Mar 1, 2015, 9:19 AM

finished in the bottom 2 or three in the league.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering we were picked either dead last or

Feb 28, 2015, 7:34 PM

next to last pre-season by most prognostications, you'd have to say its a "good" season.....but I can never look at it that way. For me, 20 wins (or 19 with extenuating circumstances) is the basketball "Mendoza" line.

No matter how I want to look at it, its not been a "good" season....it just hasn't been a "god-awful" season

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC.com had us picked 11th and we are now tied for 8-10th

Mar 1, 2015, 9:28 AM

So, about what others expected us to be. Wake GT VT and BC were predicted to be the bottom 4 and they are. But we did manage to jump ahead of FSU, they were the only other team predicted to be lower than us.

http://www.theacc.com/news/operation-basketball-media-selects-201415-preseason-poll-and-awards-2014-10-29

Virginia 15-1 27-1
Duke 13-3 26-3
Notre Dame 12-4 24-5
Louisville 11-5 23-6
North Carolina 10-6 20-9
Syracuse 9-7 18-11
Pittsburgh 8-7 19-10
Miami (FL) 8-8 18-11
NC State 8-8 17-12
Clemson 8-8 16-12
Florida St 7-10 15-15
Wake Forest 4-11 12-16
Georgia Tech 3-14 12-17
Boston College 2-14 10-18
Virginia Tech 2-14 10-19

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year?

Feb 28, 2015, 7:35 PM

I agree. Assuming we get an NIT bid and played decently in the NIT that's a good year considering we don't have KJ.

Feb 28, 2015, 7:55 PM

It's time to stop using KJ's early departure as an excuse.

That's a fact of life nowadays.

Feb 28, 2015, 8:11 PM

Not for Clemson it is not.... When is the last time we had a guy leave early for the NBA?

Stop talking out of your ### Clemson is not Duke or UNC or Kentucky where we can just plug in a McDonalds AA.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 28, 2015, 8:23 PM

I'm so sick of listening to excuse after excuse from you people.

If we are ever going to compete with those programs on a consistent basis we are either going to have to start bringing those types of players in or we are going to have to have a style that gives a chance.

We had the latter and let it slip away.

Feb 28, 2015, 8:26 PM

Congrats on not knowing the difference between a fact and an excuse.

I am sorry you are too GD stupid to see that.

You are a pathetic fan plain and simple... How pathetic you are is only eclipsed by just how little you know about Basketball or sports in general.

Thank God you are not a Clemson Alumni.

null

Feb 28, 2015, 8:30 PM

I've got news for you pal, just because something is a fact doesn't mean it can't also be a pathetic excuse.

Feb 28, 2015, 8:35 PM

Another fact you are a complete ####### and are on here bitching and moaning after a win. How pathetic are you?

null

So basically do something we've never, ever done?

Feb 28, 2015, 8:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year? ]

Gotcha

How did we "Let it slip away" ...OP QUIT on us. Period.

Mar 1, 2015, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year? ]

We didn't let OP slip away ... he slipped away on his own ... under the cover of darkness.

Both Oliver Purnell and Rick Barnes brought a playing style to Clemson that allowed us to win games with lesser talented basketball players. Good for them.

But, both Oliver Purnell and Rick Barnes QUIT on Clemson ... Clemson did not quit on them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's happened, what, 4 times in the history of Clemson BB?***

Feb 28, 2015, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is the slow starts that is hurting Brownell's program...

Feb 28, 2015, 8:16 PM

Stop losing early to Winthrop, G-W, Coastal Carolina, and at bad SEC teams like Auburn and SCU. Win those games and you would be where you want to be.

That happens when you never return your best player

Feb 28, 2015, 8:36 PM

Next year we finally do. Most talented two for sure in JB and DG

Not for Clemson***

Feb 28, 2015, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year? ]

Feb 28, 2015, 11:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year? ]

Exactly this is a team effort. I see progress from different players each game.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 28, 2015, 7:39 PM

I never expect anything from Clemson Basketball and I am rarely disappointed. I am a loud and proud Tiger supporter but years and years and years of mediocrity takes away any expectation of competing, even as a lower to middle tier team in the conference. I look forward to spring practice and all of the excitement surrounding our one and seemingly only competitive sport, Clemson Football! Thank God for that!

Anything short of an NCAA Tournament game is disappointing.

Feb 28, 2015, 7:48 PM

It becomes a question of what the excuses are for falling short of that target.

No.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes but could have been better

Oct 5, 2023, 9:53 PM

Yes, a success, esp if we win a couple of NIT games, but it was so close to being a lot better. Beat ND and FSU at home and 1 in ACC and likely going to big dance. We are close with a great defensive plan but almost no offensive plan due to limited firepower. Next year will possibly set us back with no home court advantage but I hope I am wrong on that. Long term if we can be patient is that we can be ok with Brownell. WE are not that far away but it is terribly frustrating to see what happened today losing that big lead. Part of our problem here and in baseball is in not taking care of the lesser opponents when we have they. Football has mostly solved that (e.g., Syracuse last 2 years, Wake, etc.). We need to get to that point in baseball and basketball where we beat everyone we are supposed to beat and scare the you know what out of those we are not supposed to beat. Once we get there, then we can think about taking the next program step. As today shows, we are not there yet with basketball.

It's disheartening...

Feb 28, 2015, 7:57 PM

That so many here would ever consider a mediocre season a "success". Even more so when it can so easily be excused by the absence of one player.
As long as so many fans really don't care (in other words, are satisfied with mediocrity like most of you), Clemson basketball will stay where it is right now... and a shiny new arena ain't gonna fix it.
I've seen enough. We aren't going anywhere with Brownell. The sooner he is replaced the sooner we can try again to develop a basketball program at Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 PM

Losses to Winthorp, Gardner-Webb, and Rutgers.

Blowout losses to South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Duke.

A NIT bid should not be the measuring stick of success.

Re: No.

Feb 28, 2015, 8:02 PM

I agree 100 percent.

may the chest thumping begin...

Feb 28, 2015, 8:06 PM

too bad haughtiness never goes out of style.

Feb 28, 2015, 8:10 PM

With KJ no it would not have been without him yes it is.

Edit: Hello downvote stalker

Message was edited by: clemtiger117®

null

Feb 28, 2015, 8:18 PM

If you like being in the bottom teir of the ACC then yea! I for one when to school when Purnell was there coaching! 20 win seasons started to become the norm! So to me no i think Clemson needs to change from the slow offense to more aggressive offense! Even the tv announcers called it out today! But I've said it all year!

Feb 28, 2015, 8:19 PM

"bottom tier" Congrats you are a moron.

In what world is 8-8 bottom tier?

null

Feb 28, 2015, 8:26 PM

Lol. We are 10th out of 15.

Tied for 8th...***

Feb 28, 2015, 8:31 PM

Feb 28, 2015, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Is a 17 win, 9-9 regular hoops season a success this year? ]

We are tied for 8th moron

null

Feb 28, 2015, 9:01 PM

No. We have seniors and juniors getting almost all of our minutes, nobody has shown any signs of development except from Blossomgame, and we aren't good.

Feb 28, 2015, 9:05 PM

"nobody has shown any signs of development"

lol good lord some of our bball fans are ignorant.

null

You are the most ignorant one of all

Feb 28, 2015, 9:35 PM

Nm

Re: You are the most ignorant one of all

Feb 28, 2015, 9:36 PM

lol so says the guy crying after a win.

null

Gardner Webb and Winthrop

Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 PM

Say hello

Re: Gardner Webb and Winthrop

Feb 28, 2015, 9:47 PM

Doesnt change the fact you are crying after a win.

null

It's disappointing.***

Feb 28, 2015, 9:36 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 28, 2015, 10:06 PM

While I think this is a legitimate question, I also think it might be the wrong question to be asking. Based on projections and what most of us thought this season would look like, yes a 17 (9-9) season could be considered a "success," but should we as fans be willing to "accept" this as "good enough?"

First, let me just say I like, respect and think BB is a very, very good coach and NO I am not one of these posters that call for a coaches job just because a team played poorly, or we didn't achieve a level I thought was acceptable to me.... And to be very clear, I do not want BB fired regardless of our team's final record this season.

That being said, I do think BB needs to step up his recruiting efforts. As "he who shall not be named," and OP showed, Clemson can land ACC level players, and while I do not want to criticize our family members (they play their hearts out), I am not sure BB is recruiting on a level that will create a stable base for Clemson to have a foundation for success moving forward.

I do think BB can be very successful at Clemson, but IMHO I think he needs to move his focus from "system" players and focus more on "athletes" that can learn/play his system...

His problem has been he's had to settle for athletes

Feb 28, 2015, 11:31 PM

because guys who fit his system have gone to schools with tradition and yes, top flight facilities. Schools like UVa and Pitt are what he wants us to be, but they are light years ahead of us in facilities and tradition as well. So it's been a slow build. The next 2 years will tell. He actually returns his 2 most talented players for the first time next year and adds a quality transfer PG. A guy who can really shoot it. Also has two talented freshman as well. Some on here act like we're just going to bring in a guy and start signing All Americans. Brownell needs guys like UVa gets. Upgrade facilities and be patient a little longer and we just may turn the corner from sporadic good teams to a consistent winner. And that's something we have NEVER been before

Given what we have to work with this year it's a very big

Feb 28, 2015, 11:29 PM

success. The real question is, should we have more to work with at this point?

only if we beat the coots,& we didn't***

Feb 28, 2015, 11:36 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say this year's team has out performed expectations

Mar 1, 2015, 12:40 AM

From what I can see NCSU is 3-5 on the road in ACC play beating Louisville, GaT and FSU. We will have to bring our best to beat State in LJ on Tuesday.

I would like to see us finish 9-9 in conference and win an NIT game or two. With the current roster and coaching staff, that is meeting and surpassing rational expectations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't the "experts" predict us to be bottom feeders this ye***

Mar 1, 2015, 7:07 AM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

....this year*

Mar 1, 2015, 7:07 AM

nm

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Question? I'd Deshawn was declared out for next football

Mar 1, 2015, 7:21 AM

season, would you have the same expectations for the season? Well, in basketball, KJ was Deshawn. The one guy we couldn't lose. Yet here we are .500 in the league(very good for Clemson historically). It isn't great, but CU hoops has never; not once; ever been considered great. Never once a top 10 finish and just a handful of top 25, ever. I hope we all believe one day it may happen, but honestly, you expected it to begin this year? Smh

No. A thousand times no.

Mar 1, 2015, 7:47 AM

Every team, everywhere: has new recruits... has players leave early... plays on the same kind of floor... under the same rules. The Tigers are (most likely) going to the NIT. For those of you who don't remember, that means Not In Tourney.

The reasons the Tigers are not going are self evident... and recur year after year. Happy about it? No. Satisfied with it? No.

A successful year? H E double hockey sticks NO!

The only reason to consider it a success is bc of the bad

Mar 1, 2015, 7:58 AM

Recruiting he's done. We have such low expectations, a season like this seems good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly***

Mar 1, 2015, 8:08 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The only reason to consider it a success is bc of the bad

Mar 1, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to The only reason to consider it a success is bc of the bad ]

Sigh I swear clemson has the dumbest basketball fans in the nation

null

Anything short of the dance is failure

Mar 1, 2015, 9:43 AM

Re: Anything short of the dance is failure

Mar 1, 2015, 11:52 AM

You are a moron and delusional with unrealistic expectations. If KJ were still here you would be right.

null

Mar 1, 2015, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Anything short of the dance is failure ]

When you have low standards,you have low expectations . The season was a failure .

Mar 1, 2015, 2:47 PM

And another ####### Clemson basketball fan.

null

meh***

Mar 1, 2015, 11:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a success, nor is it a failure. Our recruiting has been

Mar 1, 2015, 12:17 PM

taking incremental steps forward each year under Brownell following the 2-year wasteland around Purnell's departure. To me pre-season expectations were too low heading into this year - the team has more talent than most gave it credit for, but where we are now is about where we should be, no better, no worse. Had KJ not left early, we're an NCAA lock (and he's perhaps ACC player of the year and 1st round draft pick instead of the contract limbo he found himself in).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The final result has been a bit better than I was expecting

Mar 1, 2015, 1:28 PM

But, honestly, it's hard to countenance losses to Winthrop and Gardner Webb in any season. Those will be head-scratcher's no matter how little talent we put on the floor.

But, then beating Pitt on the road and taking care of 'Cuse in LJ ... well, that's impressive!

It's not the number of wins and losses that gives me trouble so much as the Jekyll & Hyde nature of the teams play.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Two years straight now the 'experts' have picked

Mar 1, 2015, 3:02 PM

Clemson to finish last or really close to last in the ACC. Both seasons we've disappointed them. Since the experts are given so much credit for being right about the teams they pick to do really well, then I'd say when their wrong, like in Clemson's instance, it also means something.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2015, 8:04 PM

It is a slight overachievement for what we have.

It is a massive disappointment that in the 5th year at our school, we cannot sniff the NCAA or top 25.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic