Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
safety/LB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

safety/LB

Nov 26, 2018, 9:36 AM

If you look at the recruiting at safety and LB not really surprising we having some struggles on back end. This problem has been masked by a elite DL and some lesser competition. I know it hard to say anything good about coots but Bentley has improved, they have some good receiver (one elite) and solid OL (not great). All teams will apply the same formula as Duke and chickens going forward, get ball out quick and some funky alignments to confuse us and tempo.

We also have had issues with a really fast tempo team (Syracuse) getting calls in and aligned. Took us years to crack GT option hope with do same with hurry up.

But a lot I think is just personnel. Hey I love our guys and I promise they want to play well and are giving it all they have, but we are just not elite and safety and LB. We missed on McKinney and several other safeties. Nolan Turner had UAB offer, Wallace got some big offers late (Ohio State) but he was a fall back for us. K. Johnson was someone Dabo saw when Daniel played AC Flora, he was not highly recruited. At LB, Tre Lamar was hurt but even if well he not great in coverage. Shaq Smith is not trusted yet. They really don't trust #30 either. Big big drop off from O'Daniel in coverage. We are left with JD Davis starting and Joseph, who plays his butt of but he was exhausted on some series with the hurry up.

So these issues not shocking but it is what it is and our coaches are awesome and they will do all they can to fix it. Some of it can only be fixed in recruiting and we bringing in a lot of safeties this year.

Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: safety/LB

Nov 26, 2018, 9:42 AM

I was surprised Mike Jones redshirted for these very reasons. I don't know if he's good in coverage, but he seems to be very athletic. Hopefully next year he will be a bright spot on D.

Nov 26, 2018, 11:08 AM

How many games has Jones played? If he can help in pass coverage. He should be eligible to play in the playoff games. I don't know if BV would trust him enough though.

The BIGGEST problem was BV getting caught

Nov 26, 2018, 9:46 AM

with late signals. He's taken the blame. The problem will be solved.

Yes, next year's class has the long term answers, but BV has this for the next 3 games !!

^^^This x 100

Nov 26, 2018, 9:47 AM

Doesn't make one a coot to state the obvious...Safeties are not the strength of this D and the LBs (like many teams) are not good at pass coverage.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 11:35 AM

Good post. We have missed on too many of our top DB targets, as well as taking Trapp and Dawkins. Fields has also been a disappointment. We miss Carter and DoD. Simmons is still trying to put it all together, Wallace lacks maturity, and Muse is also inconsistent.

I'm also surprised they didn't play Mike Jones this year. Coverage is not the strength of this LB corp, and it seems he could have played in some situations. I also think McMichael may be better suited at Safety or SAM rather than Corner..

Nickle D

Nov 26, 2018, 12:03 PM

If our LBs are not good in coverage (and they aren't) then why don't we play more nickle? We needed to get Davis off the field and put Fields in to cover the slot. Did we not use Ryan Carter in the slot when he was here? Why have to gone from Carter to Davis/Muse/Wallace lining up there?

There's no way BV lines up a LB or a safety on Jerry Jeudy when we play Bama... is there?

Re: Nickle D

Nov 26, 2018, 12:12 PM

Good question. I can't remember, what did we do in 2015 when we had a lot of busts with Kearse and Green? Boulware was getting exposed some too in passing game.

I know Venables likes to bring pressure but do we have to go more to a just keep it in front of us, bend don't break approach. Kind of what happened with 2 goal line stands versus chickens.

But please at least lets be set when ball snapped. On first big Deebo touchdown look at video. Several guys still looking at sideline. My son and I both said touchdown before ball even snapped.

Re: Nickle D

Nov 26, 2018, 1:18 PM

Agree. BV likes to see the offensive formation and then react. Works great most of the time, but SCAR had a great gameplan to attack his reactive play calling and BV made no adjustments. That was compounded with the gross mismatches of Deebo and Shi Smith on JD Davis/Muse/Wallace/Simmons.

Davis is a fine player against the run or vs non-athletic tight ends. Wallace and Muse are fine players providing help over the top. None of these guys should ever be matched up 1on1 with an athletic WR imo.

The fastest player on the team is sitting on the bench. Coaches must REALLY not trust Fields.

Ruggs/Jeudy/Smith/Waddle

Nov 26, 2018, 12:16 PM

When these 4 are on the field at the same time there's no way we can play base defense and stop them on a consistent basis.

Assuming we match up Simmons on Smith, that leaves us Muse/Joseph/Wallace trying to cover Waddle in the slot.....? BV has to be smarter than to let that happen, right?

Re: Ruggs/Jeudy/Smith/Waddle

Nov 26, 2018, 1:06 PM

It is a concern as to why we don't have more subpackages in coverage. The simple explanation is BV lacks confidence in the possible subs.

Nov 26, 2018, 1:29 PM

Exactly. The thing is that it hasn't really hurt us until now. We've gotten away with trotting Davis out to cover a slot receiver or bringing Wallace/Muse down to cover 1v1 all year. We finally played a team with the speed to expose our liabilities.

We'll smoke Pitt (and Notre Dame if that's who we draw) running the same base 4-3 D with our seniors who don't usually bust coverage. But once we line up against Alabama with what they have at receiver you have to at least give your team a chance to make plays. A busted coverage from Shaq Smith or Fields is acceptable. At least you aren't going down with bullets in the chamber.

Nov 26, 2018, 2:02 PM

very true. I mean I knew Deebo was great player but I was still shocked how bad he beat (I think Wallace) off the line. No jam or nothing. I mean Bentley just had to toss it up there like backyard Thanksgiving football.

I am sure these guys will do all they can but the tempo and not being set is not a first time thing so lets just get by Pitt and hopefully over a months time they figure some stuff out.

Wonder is Shalski is an option. I know he played well at time last year but cant remember has he played more than 4 games so not lose redshirt?

Nov 26, 2018, 2:13 PM

Skalski is going to be a beast next season, but I believe he hurt his other foot mid season and is still healing up from that. 1 foot healed up and then he hurt the other. Bad luck.

Losing Van and DOD hurt, they both hid a lot of flaws***

Nov 26, 2018, 12:28 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Losing Van and DOD hurt, they both hid a lot of flaws***

Nov 26, 2018, 2:13 PM

Van Smith was a very underrated loss. It was a lose/lose for parties involved. Van Smith barely got a camp invite.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic