Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Weird night in Winston-Salem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

New Story: Weird night in Winston-Salem

Nov 9, 2014, 10:01 AM

Weird night in Winston-Salem

Thursday night's game in Winston-Salem was weird and strange long before Clemson and Wake Forest kicked it off, and the strange events lasted most of the night. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always weird there. My wife made the trip with us for the

Nov 9, 2014, 10:11 AM

first time this year and commented that there is more traffic leaving a movie theater in Charlotte than leaving the game. Probably about right!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Weird night in Winston-Salem

Nov 9, 2014, 10:12 AM

Think you nailed it - Big Time Football not Present in Winston Salem.

Nov 9, 2014, 10:12 PM

From the looks of the way we played we didn't bring "big time football"with us either. It's up to us to bring a big time game no matter who the opponent is.

Nov 9, 2014, 10:12 AM

The "contests" like you might see at a minor league baseball or hockey game added to the same "weird" atmosphere. A friend (a Florida grad) who came with me agreed that the only thing keeping it from feeling like a high school game was the huge score board.

Nov 9, 2014, 2:43 PM

And the crowd at WF was smaller than most High Schools in my area of rural Georgia. To be a snooty acting school, they surely are pretty classless. I guess they do have a lot of class, really, but it's all low.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No more CAPS Dabo!

Nov 9, 2014, 10:13 AM

nm

I am constantly puzzled that the greatest dline in the nation gets so few holding penalties***

Nov 9, 2014, 10:20 AM

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: I am constantly puzzled that the greatest dline in the nation gets so few holding penalties***

Nov 9, 2014, 11:12 AM

This dline has had more hold on and hands to the face on them, than on olines they are playing.

Seems that a handful of jersey or face mask is a penalty, as long as you are doing it to an orange jersey.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: I am constantly puzzled that the greatest dline in the nation gets so few holding penalties***

Nov 9, 2014, 11:19 AM

Is not a penalty

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Nov 9, 2014, 2:56 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. I read it 5 times thinking of what you meant, and wondering if you were a lurker. I didn't think you were with your history. You are exactly right, too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake Forest is a program that learns from others' mistakes

Nov 9, 2014, 10:29 AM

except for the winning and attendance parts.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They learn from the mistakes, not the successes.

Nov 9, 2014, 10:45 AM

hth

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

they've won as many ACC Championships in the past 20 years as we have. ***

Nov 9, 2014, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Wake Forest is a program that learns from others' mistakes ]

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Wake fans wanted to fight DeAndre McDaniel? They're lucky

Nov 9, 2014, 10:29 AM

their shoulders are still in their sockets.

What I was thinking, I was somehow Mcdaniel

Nov 9, 2014, 11:50 AM

Could do that to Winston. Imo, Winston deserves a hit like that

Re: Wake fans wanted to fight DeAndre McDaniel? They're lucky

Nov 9, 2014, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Wake fans wanted to fight DeAndre McDaniel? They're lucky ]

Lol.... How did that work out for Christian Ponder?

Wake's got a lot of problems.....

Nov 9, 2014, 10:58 AM

AD Ron Wellman is pretty much hated throughout Winston-Salem for the Bzdelik/Grobe fiascos. The University spent tons of money on stadium improvements a few years ago and now they literally can't give away tickets to the games. Some of you may have noticed all the boarded up buildings around the stadium. Those are all owned by Wake Forest U. They spent tons of money buying up the properties so they could develop the area around the coliseum and FB stadium. WFU tried running the restaurants for a few years but all but one eventually went out of business. Not a good sign for their MBA program. Speaking of their MBA program, they're shutting it down. WFU Baptist Hospital has also been losing tons of money, they've laid off several hundred employees the past year. They also opened a store in the mall that I've never seen anyone shopping in. Things have been pretty rough in Deacon land.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steely Dan had it right ...

Nov 9, 2014, 11:26 AM

They got a name for the winner's in the world
I want a name when I lose ...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tie
Call me Deacon Blues."

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2014, 12:11 PM

I say we boot them out of the ACC & pick up someone like WVU or Cincinnati

Not crazy about having a fan base that burns things.***

Nov 9, 2014, 1:07 PM

Nov 9, 2014, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Weird night in Winston-Salem ]

Marshall fits the ACC narrative better than WVa. Small school that matches great academics with atheletics.

Nov 9, 2014, 1:48 PM

What's not weird is my uneasiness about our offense. I've tried hard to see the silver lining; injuries, position changes, youth, etc. But considering that UVA put up 20 on FSU in Tallahassee, Duke 27 on the Orange in Syracuse and GT 56 on the Pack in Raleigh, has me thinking how inefficient Clemson's O really is??? Hope my worries turn out to be weird as this past weekend was in CFB.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2014, 1:07 PM

Hey, your worry is valid! But go back and look at stats. Their defenses, even UVa who has been pretty dominant, and FSU, who are normally stout on that side of the ball, aren't nearly as good as ours. And the Pack wasn't that great on defense to begin with and you couple that with a triple option offense, you know what you get, 56 points, which I think is what NC State's defense is ranked. Clemson's offense has won games being very "vanilla" (base, no wrinkles, pretty straight). I give our staff credit for recruiting well and coaching better. So being concerned, I get it. But the boys down the road wish they had a liable excuse for not winning against unranked teams because it isn't lack of talent. It isn't because of injuries.

Nov 9, 2014, 1:48 PM

What's not weird is my uneasiness about our offense. I've tried hard to see the silver lining; injuries, position changes, youth, etc. But considering that UVA put up 20 on FSU in Tallahassee, Duke 27 on the Orange in Syracuse and GT 56 on the Pack in Raleigh, has me thinking how inefficient Clemson's O really is??? Hope my worries turn out to be weird as this past weekend was in CFB.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wake forest sucks in every way imaginable.***

Nov 9, 2014, 4:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 9, 2014, 4:29 PM

It wasn't the location of the hit. It was the fact that he launched himself look at the replay.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2014, 5:20 PM

The real problem is that they are guiding defensive players to go low. You can get way injured worse with a low hit than a high one.

If he stands there he gets hit and the tight end crushes him

Nov 9, 2014, 5:43 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Weird night in Winston-Salem ]

he did not launch if he had he would be much more horizontal to ground. If
you watch anything in slow motion you see what you want. In real time speed
in which we live, except for a few idiots, it was a great football hit PERIOD.

You can leave your feet to make a tackle as long as you do

Nov 9, 2014, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Weird night in Winston-Salem ]

not hit the head and neck area. If it was because he left his feet then there should be about 10 targeting calls a game

Nov 9, 2014, 9:49 PM

Clemson plays big time football. Apparently Wake Forest and the referees of this game play flag football. Worst officiating I have seen in years. But...This is the ACC. Get rid of Swafford. He is no good for football. He will kiss the official's #$#

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic