Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Watson earns the starting job
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

New Story: Watson earns the starting job

Sep 21, 2014, 2:16 AM

Watson earns the starting job

On a muggy night in Tallahassee, freshman Deshaun Watson didn't back down from the pressure of playing on the road against the nation's number one team. Along the way, he earned a starting job. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

uhhhh

Sep 21, 2014, 2:25 AM

no way we get into the playoffs or even play for the conference title..just let watson be the sole qb and lets take our lumps with him..this cole deserves a chance to compete annoys me.so what if he sat on the bench for a few years and waited his turn.when he isnt the best qb then he shouldnt be playing simple as that.

Re: uhhhh

Sep 21, 2014, 1:38 PM

We are far from out of the conference championship. FSU will loose down the road. Out of the play-off, yes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they have to lose twice..

Sep 21, 2014, 6:00 PM

they will e hard pressed to lose two conference games

With Winston at the helm, who knows?

Sep 22, 2014, 3:38 AM

He will continue to exhibit his increasingly unstable behavior. He is bent on self-destruction and may well bring FSU down with him.

Re: New Story: Watson earns the starting job

Sep 21, 2014, 2:38 AM

Just upset it took coaching staff 3 games into the season to figure this out with 2 of those games being the biggest games (along with coots) of the season...Go Tigers!!!.....PS...Coaches, you can't teach speed or lack of it.

Sep 21, 2014, 8:14 AM

Wow what a game by Watson. He deserves the starting job. Tough loss last night, I'm sure the team will bounce back strong next week. I'm just sick we lost last night I can only imagine how disappointed the players are. Loss is squarely on the coaches.

Sep 21, 2014, 12:32 PM

A loss is never solely on coaches or players. Players have to make kicks, good snaps, and hang on to the football. The only coaching decisions in the whole game that I question revolve around not having a QB ready to take meaningful under center snaps to sneak in for a TD/first down. Plenty of team operate primarily out of the shotgun, but are still able to go under center for a QB sneak. Their is equal blame on players and coaches.

Sep 21, 2014, 12:35 PM

Sorry...there is equal blame

Speed has nothing to do with throwing

Sep 21, 2014, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson earns the starting job ]

the ball at Legget's feet for an easy TD toss.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: Speed has nothing to do with throwing

Sep 21, 2014, 10:44 AM

Cole has under-thrown receivers all year. I really thought he would be better than he was.

Lets go TIGERS!***

Sep 21, 2014, 9:58 AM

Is it safe to say....

Sep 21, 2014, 11:01 AM

And not trying to throw mud, just saying its an area that needs to improve the most...But is out O-line now the weakness of the entire team?
A lot of missed assignments ,so it seems...Can't run block.

Just saying...agree/disagree?

Hats off to Deshaun...you guys had to see it coming.
He's going be great!

Re: Is it safe to say....

Sep 21, 2014, 12:12 PM

You've got it right. Our weakness is the O line. Pass pro was just fair, and they failed repeatedly in short-yardage situations.

Thanks...

Sep 21, 2014, 3:46 PM

Didn't know if anyone else saw that.
Going in, I thought the OL was going be a bright spot.
And it still "might" be. But theres NOT 1 guy on the
OL who deserves to be listed as a starter.( right now)

They looked better than FSU's OL I'd say

Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Is it safe to say.... ]

and FSU's is supposed to be best in the nation.

Of course, so is FSU's DL. I'm not convinced that our OL is a weakness. If we struggle with UNC, NCSU, etc. then maybe, but at this point I think they've played OK against some great competition.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I loved his response to the mouthy FSU player in the 4th

Sep 21, 2014, 11:06 AM

on one of the few plays that FSU got to him with about 6 minutes to go (the high throw on 3rd down), the FSU player was doing a little barking, Watson just smiled and dismissed him with a wave of the hand.

Classic calm under pressure and a pretty classy way of saying "go F yourself"

Noticed it as well

Sep 21, 2014, 11:08 AM

Jalen Ramsey was trying to stare and talk down DW.

DW wasn't having any of it.

Sep 21, 2014, 11:33 AM

To bad that it took the Coaching Staff 3 games to realize that Watson was the best choice at QB. Maybe more playing time could have cured the few minor mistakes and being better under center. Our special teams, ie field goals, cost us the win. That, and the sometimes conservative play calling, did not help. Receivers looked good, but the RB by committee needs work Defense looked good and offense needs more work on run blocking.

Sep 21, 2014, 12:14 PM

Well I'm glad we put this off so long so that Dabo and Chad could save face and not hurt anyone's feelings.

Now that the season is over, we should be able to get DW plenty of experience of next year now.

Now we'll always get to wonder what could have been if the coaches hadn't had their heads up their butts with this whole issue.

Sep 21, 2014, 12:28 PM

"cole gives us the best chance to win" really? I no longer believe in dabo. he is a used car salesman

Sep 21, 2014, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson earns the starting job ]

Hate to be the pumper, but now that the "controversy" us smart ones knew was going to go this way (except york)....we still can go 11-2 like last year.

Sep 21, 2014, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson earns the starting job ]

IBeWriteGood, Stoudt was named the starting QB at the start of the season. Do you, and plenty others, know why he was named the starter? Do you, and plenty others, really think Dabo and Chad had their collective "heads up their butts" when they made the decision? Do you know if the play book had to be reduced to help make Watson more productive? Do you know if Watson knew all of the plays and the associated check offs when the season began? I will surmise that your answer to all of those questions is "No"and I believe you would be correct. Otherwise, I don't think you would make such comments as you did.

The season, as you state, is "not" over. Far from it!! But maybe you will get some favorable comments from some others with like thinking.

I am a tremendous fan of Deshaun Watson. My wife and I had the opportunity to meet him and have a good conversation with him during the summer and he is top drawer, A-1, and will be a great asset to what we are about at Clemson. Cole Stoudt is of the same type character and I am glad he is at Clemson. He earned the starters job when it was up for grabs but as we move forward things do change and our coaches have responded, and I might add, without their "heads up their butts" as you stated.

I normally enjoy your post, but on this one, you are way off base.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 7:05 PM

Could not agree more with you

Sep 21, 2014, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson earns the starting job ]

Could not agree more with you

Point for insightful post there hinds!***

Sep 22, 2014, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson earns the starting job ]

Sep 21, 2014, 1:07 PM

Watson moved the ball all night in that crazy environment against one of the best defenses In the nation while Stoudt/Boyd would have folded like a tent. I'd love to see what he could do with good coaching......at least Dabo made Chad slow it down this game to save the defense in the second half.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like we fans weren't idiots/Coots & coaches were wrong

Sep 21, 2014, 1:36 PM

It was obvious to many of us fans (and analysts, including Kirk Herbstreit, David Pollack, et al) that Watson was the better QB, even from game 1 vs. UGA. (Just like DeAndre Hopkins was clearly out best receiver from game 1 vs. UNT). But Dabo deferred to his loyalty to Stoudt and it cost the team dearly-- possibly even costing the team an ACC title and a shot at the playoffs.

I'm not buying the Dabo-apologist theoretical excuse that Watson didn't learn the playbook after six months but suddenly learned it last week. And I never heard the coaches say or even imply that anyway.

So many posters on TigerNet call people "idiots" or "Coots" or "stupid armchair coaches" for pointing out the coaches' bad decisions. I'm sure they'll all publicly admit that they were wrong and respect others' opinions now.

Re: Looks like we fans weren't idiots/Coots & coaches were wrong

Sep 21, 2014, 5:01 PM

Razzmatazz, so you and a lot of "us fans" and analyst including Herbstreit and Pollack, know exactly what was involved in the decision to start Stoudt over Watson. All of you were there daily watching the performance of the QB's in question, as the coaches were, and came to the "opinion" you voiced. Do you truly believe that Dabo and Chad would start a person that did not win the job during evaluations, regardless of the perceived talent of the two? Do really believe that he would do something to intentionally leave the team in a precarious situation as far as win is concerned?
Do I think, overall, that Watson has more talent and potential than Stoudt? Yes, I do, but he didn't do or couldn't do those things necessary to win the job initially and thus didn't get the job. He has progressed, obviously, and now appears to have won the job for the UNC game. That is fine. That is what evaluations are for and I believe that our coaches have the talent to make those decisions correctly because they are there everyday doing the evals. Take a deep breath, we are going to be fine.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Dabo values loyalty & thus started Stoudt. Quotes...

Sep 21, 2014, 5:51 PM

When asked about starting Stoudt over Watson, Dabo and OC Morris have both spoke about Stoudt's loyalty to the program and about how he could have transferred but waited his turn. I’ve never heard them talk like that before. Typically those coaches explain playing-time with specifics about their performance— like Dabo did when explaining why Kyle Parker started over Tajh Boyd, or like Morris did about several other players in the following video clip. Furthermore, they have never implemented a 2-QB system before and the 2 QBs don’t have complementary skill sets (like Tebow/Leak or Belldozer/Jones) so it’s hard to understand why the coaches would suddenly decide to split time in a critical game like UGA unless it’s to keep both QBs happy. It seemed pretty clear to many of us fans (and even the analysts mentioned this on GameDay) that the coaches stared Stoudt due to loyalty rather than playing the best QB. And based on Morris's words, it seemed like Dabo shoved that decision down Morris’s throat.

"You’re talking about a guy, a young man that could have transferred, and because of his love for this university and everything, he’s chosen to come back. And could have transferred, sitting behind Tajh Boyd, and now he’s waited his turn…. and has played well for two ball games. And that’s gotta continue."

Cole is our starter. I've said that. Coach has said that. Coach has made it really clear. And again, going back to Cole… A young man that backed up Tajh Boyd for 3 years. I mean, he could have transferred and be playing. He probably could have played 2 of the last 3 years… he could have been playing somewhere… sat out a year. But he chose to stay here for the love of the university and for our program. And I think that says a lot about him." -Chad Morris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWdZJclcqro

"It’s not that he [Watson] needs to be brought along slowly. It’s that the guy in front of him is the starter and has earned it and he [Stoudt] played great." -Dabo
http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-addresses-Priester-dismissal-fans-Deshaun-Watson-start-12998

"He [Stoudt] has done nothing to not be the starter." -Dabo
http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-Stoudt-deserves-respect-quarterback-controversy-13009

Re: I think Dabo values loyalty & thus started Stoudt. Quotes...

Sep 22, 2014, 5:36 AM

Razzmatazz, everything you wrote is absolutely true except the conclusion you came to. Both coaches said that Stoudt won the job based on his performance in the spring and fall. I understand that Watson wasn't available in the spring which did hamper his opportunity. Why is it that you believe what they said and quoted them extensively in your post, but you decide not to believe them when they said Stoudt won the job? Stoudt was the starter and now Watson is the starter and we will see how that goes. If he plays well he will keep the job, if not, he will be replaced. That goes for all the positions on the team. Let's all hope that he performs well, just as I did when Stoudt was the starter. Lastly, instead of listening to Herbstreit and Pollock (whom I like) why would you not believe the coaches who are there every day evaluating and those two analyst get only a cursory view of what is happening.

Coaches publicly spin BS but never said how Cole was better

Sep 22, 2014, 1:27 PM

You have to read between the lines on what the coaches said. They're not going to say Watson is better but we feel that we owe it to Stoudt. Why did our coaches make all of those "could-have-transferred" and "for love of the program" comments FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER in explaining why Stoudt was starting?

Herbie, Pollack, and I believe my eyes, and we were right. Or else Watson suddenly learned the playbook and became the better QB while sitting on the sideline in Tallahassee for the first three wasted series.

I'm surprised that you just believe whatever the coaches say. Dabo has a history of loyally playing seniority over clearly superior talent, and of spewing BS. E.g. Dabo played Ashe & Dye over DeAndre Hopkins. And then Dabo said that Hopkins would have been better off returning for his senior year. (Laughable.)

Does FSU get an asterisk because Dabo started Stoudt?***

Sep 21, 2014, 2:04 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic