Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tavien Feaster: "They brought me in here to be special"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

New Story: Tavien Feaster: "They brought me in here to be special"

Oct 22, 2016, 8:01 AM

Tavien Feaster: "They brought me in here to be special"

Tavien Feaster has gone from 5-star to fifth string, but he isn't getting down on himself. Instead, he continues to work hard and when his chance comes, he wants to take advantage of it. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry...

Oct 22, 2016, 8:07 AM

its not like the guys in front of him, Feaster.
Are even playing better...outside of Wayne G.

GIVE #28 a chance.

Re: I'm sorry...

Oct 22, 2016, 8:15 AM

They made the right call to remove him from kick returns.

But he'll probably get a shot at RB before the year is over.

Oct 22, 2016, 9:43 AM

I, JMO, that he needs to run more to the outside than right up the middle into the masses of opposition. We all saw what he does when he gets 1 step on anybody at BC. Set up the returns to a side, and I think we will see something very, very special. After he gets more experience, maybe the middle becomes another option. He is too fast not to be using.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2016, 8:16 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry... ]

Pass blocking is a huge deal and 4.3 40 times are good for nothing when DW4 gets blown up in the back field by a missed assignment. You have to trust our coaches that they know what's going on with our players and the feel in the locker room. He said they are around the kids 80 hours a week for a reason... Its a nice way of saying that #28 is not quite ready or he would have been put in.

Spot on.

Oct 22, 2016, 8:18 AM

And it sounds like he knows he's not ready. You can get by on raw talent in HS but you've got to have more technique in college. And sounds like TF needs some development. Our coaches are among the best at talent development, and I can't wait to see him unleashed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Ditto. When the youngster is ready Dabo and crew will know.***

Oct 22, 2016, 8:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ditto. When the youngster is ready Dabo and crew will know.***

Oct 22, 2016, 1:27 PM

I believe that is correct, and when Feaster is ready, he will be wanting a break bc his legs will feel dead from pushing through linemen and trying to drag LBs or breaking off long runs. He will be OK once he stops feeling poor O me. If he was absolutely needed bc we didn't have any RBs, he could actually develop bad habits that could hinder his career more than help from having to use him to early. I trust that our coaches know exactly what they are doing. If Feaster can get over that feeling of super star status as a college freshman, our coaches will coach him into NFL status by the time he is done at Clemson. He just needs to look into the NFL, and he will see what our staff has done with other players that were HS super stars when they come to Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spot on.

Oct 22, 2016, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Spot on. ]

But theN we get back to the question that had everyone puzzled....why did they not redshirt him if they already knew he needed to develop and wasn't ready?

You'd think the game your main RB goes out from injury would be when he'd get his shot, especially when only 1 guy was getting anything and your 4th string was still fumbling balls. If they aren't playing him in that situation, you get to questioninh whether he'll play enough for the year not to be a waste of an eligible year.

Oct 22, 2016, 8:47 AM

I don't think red shirting him would do anything. If he's as good as we think he is, then he's leaving after 3 years either as a true Junior or RS Soph. I think he's having a tough time with pass blocking and finding the right running lanes as evidence from his kick return opportunities have shown. He will be ok and get his shot. He's just going to have to wait his turn like Cornell Powell and the other great freshmen we have on this roster.

Oct 22, 2016, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Spot on. ]

Why didn't they redshirt Feaster? A: If he is as good as everyone believes, he will only be here three years. A redshirt year would accomplish nothing.

Oct 22, 2016, 9:01 AM

Running back is a position with a short shelf life. If he performs well, he won't be with us for his entire eligibility period. If they put him in just to "give him a shot" and he fails, that may stall his development. He trusts his coaches with the next three or four years of his life, we should too.

Oct 22, 2016, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Spot on. ]

Also maybe he doesn't want to redshirt. I'm guessing he doesn't. I agree he's likely gone in 3 years either way.

Oct 22, 2016, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Spot on. ]

I feel the same way to some degree, same could be said about Overton as well.

Problem is I'm sure the coaches imagined we'd have more time to throw in the young guys at the end of games than we have this season. Our starters haven't been consistent enough to get ahead enough by HT like we did so many times the last few years. Not sure our coaches could have foreseen this. If he would have more snaps early on in the season they'd be more comfortable at this point with him.

Feaster should spend much time with Terry Allen.***

Oct 22, 2016, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Spot on. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feaster should spend much time with Terry Allen.***

Oct 22, 2016, 1:35 PM

Like they were siamese twins or a second skin!!!

Oct 22, 2016, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm sorry... ]

The main reason DW4 is getting blown up in the backfield is because of #63 Fruhmorgan not because of the RB!

Oct 22, 2016, 10:17 AM

PFF rated Fruhmorgan as the best performing O Lineman against NCSU.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2016, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm sorry... ]

You could benefit from watching Gallman on picking up blitzes. He is really good at it, and when he's in the game, DW4 has more time. You could see the drop-off on Saturday when Wayne went out. CJ is probably 2nd in pass blocking behind Gallman. You could tell the difference when TD or AC was in the game, although AC had a hip stinger and that was limiting him.

I would truly love to see Feaster in the game, but if Dabo says he's not quite ready, then that's good enough for me. When he DOES get in, I'm really looking forward to watching... it'll be worth the wait.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2016, 10:48 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry... ]

Agree he has more talent than all 3 backs ahead of him. You have to find a way to get him on the field and yes he's that talented. I would go with 2 back set and get him the ball in space. He can be on the field without having pass pro assignments.

Oct 22, 2016, 4:24 PM [ in reply to I'm sorry... ]

Bring him in for some screens and sweeps, and get him some pass blocking experience because he's a game breaker and the other backs arent.

Pass blocking is something you gain experience on in

Oct 22, 2016, 10:39 PM

practice not close games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Tavien Feaster: "They brought me in here to be special"

Oct 22, 2016, 8:30 AM

I guess just like Cole starting over DW or even Swag.
The only thing that it could be with Feaster is not knowing the playbook .
If blocking is the problem move the pocket, run sweeps or screens.
But dang get him in there figure out packages to utilize that all world speed .

Oct 22, 2016, 11:32 AM

Knowing the playbook is the only problem? Hahaha. Yep. Guess you've sat in all those 80 hour weeks. There isn't a problem except we keep feeding this narrative. If Dabo says he's not ready, I'm ok with that. Besides I haven't seen anything on the field that would prove otherwise.

Oct 22, 2016, 8:36 AM

No doubt in my mind he will be a superstar for the Tigers. But go back and look at his kickoff returns...very timid. He is a freshman in a mans world give him some time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Oct 22, 2016, 8:47 AM

Again, don't agree with the coaches' call. I respect them, I love them, but they made a mistake not at least giving him a shot.

Its a good thing we didn't redshirt him

Oct 22, 2016, 9:33 AM

those 12 carries against SC State and 4 carries against BC will prepare him for next year

Re: Its a good thing we didn't redshirt him

Oct 22, 2016, 10:19 AM

He still has a chance to contribute in the stretch run. Let's hope he can, but I think it is largely up to Feaster and how he performs in practice.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let it go, David Hood. Let it go.

Oct 22, 2016, 9:39 AM

You've made your opinion on the subject quite clear. Stop stirring up controversy where there is none.

Dabo and company have never hesitated to start talented freshmen when they are ready to play. Clearly he is not ready. They know the reason why and have decided it's none of your business why he hasn't climbed the pecking order. Just accept it and let this go until he works out the kinks and is ready to shock the world.

Re: Let it go, David Hood. Let it go.

Oct 22, 2016, 9:25 PM

I agree 100%. Enough is enough.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many times are we gonna ask the same question expecting

Oct 22, 2016, 9:44 AM

a different answer? LET IT GO!! Tavien's not ready - please let Jeff Scott say it without specifics that are none of our business!

David is the same guy who wrote how

Oct 22, 2016, 9:56 AM

terrible of a hire Dabo was about a week after he was promoted. Meanwhile, Dabo was installing motivational signs and reigniting old traditions with the team. I and many others could already see the difference.

I appreciate most of Hood's articles, but when he starts questioning this coaching staff, I wish I could dig into the archives and make that article resurface to add a little perspective.

Here's the 2008 article David Hood wrote the day before

Oct 22, 2016, 10:15 AM

the chicken game that year.

I think I understand now why yorkie boy changed his username to snowtown - and it has nothing to do with the Big 12.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=7601

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

yep...you can't fix stupid...you can only change your name..

Oct 22, 2016, 11:41 AM

to SNOWTOWN

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You completely mischaracterized that article!!

Oct 22, 2016, 10:41 AM [ in reply to David is the same guy who wrote how ]

David Hood said that the fan base wouldn't give Dabo Swinney the time he needed to build the program. He praised Dabo Swinney as a coach.

"I think Dabo Swinney is a rising star in the coaching ranks, and will one day be a very good head coach for somebody. It might even be the Tigers. Is he ready to take over the reins of a Clemson program that needs new life? Probably."

"I simply don't believe this fan base can take another season of struggle with a coach that has ties to the Bowden era. And that's too bad for Dabo Swinney, who deserves better. "

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: You completely mischaracterized that article!!

Oct 22, 2016, 10:52 AM

I agree ??... Very well written article with his personal perspective and also he was truthful with his "not" totally understanding everything. He was "personally", as most Clemson fans were wrong and thankfully we were. Feaster I believe is having a harder time adjusting to blocking schemes, check off's, etc than adjusting to just the speed. He is physically able imo but the mentality hasn't caught up to where he needs to be YET.. He'll get there and is seeing that he can't just rely on his physical tools as he could in high school. He has a good attitude and his being humbled now will pay off huge dividends in the upcoming seasons and possibly later this year. He's going to be okay and a future star.

Re: You completely mischaracterized that article!!

Oct 23, 2016, 7:20 AM [ in reply to You completely mischaracterized that article!! ]

nwilhit, you hit the nail on the head!! The article was very complementary of Dabo and his future as a head coach. He also gave a very accurate accounting of the "Monday morning quarterbacks" disguised as Clemson fans. Personally, I thought the article was very good!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW4 wasn't ready either, was he?***

Oct 22, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to How many times are we gonna ask the same question expecting ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure, I trust the coaches.

Oct 22, 2016, 9:56 AM

Clemson football is second to none.

But, in this case, I disagree a little. It is obvious to everyone Feaster should be on the field. I think it is a loyalty thing to the senior guys that have put in years of work and rehab from injury. It will come to a point soon where they will just have to put him in because he is that much better than Fuller, Dye, and Choice. Spiller had some struggles seeing the field at first when he was a freshman. I remember fussing back then about why is he not out there more. I can only assume that after the FSU game he will be inserted more. They will want him in the post season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So just how many hours have you spent watching practice?***

Oct 22, 2016, 10:19 AM

Re: Sure, I trust the coaches.

Oct 22, 2016, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Sure, I trust the coaches. ]

I will trust the coaches because I can't change it, but I don't have have to like it--lol
-------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, if Dye, Choice and Fuller were fairing any better- I would be fine with that.
But they haven't......but then again, neither is the WHOLE OL.

Oct 22, 2016, 10:12 AM

No excuse for him not to have a package against FSU

Fuller had the hot hand? Are you serious?

Oct 22, 2016, 11:50 AM

Did I miss something? When did CJ Fuller have the hot hand when he got his long carry of the day and fell forward into the back of his lineman for 3 yards?

Feaster can run circles around these guys coach. Get your head out of your ---- Coach. Let's not go Cole Stoudt 2014 in here. Deshaun should have started that whole year we would have never lost to UGA or FSU.

Deshaun was better then Cole Stoudt from Day 1 and it was never close.

Feaster is the ONLY back with long runs this year, he should get the ball all day every day.

We could've had a Herschel Vs. Tennessee moment there against NCST and we just mucked it up. That is terrible.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we would have still lost to UGA, but we would have beaten

Oct 22, 2016, 1:43 PM

FSU

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feaster seems pretty mature about it all.

Oct 22, 2016, 4:38 PM

Expecting some solid contributions from him once it clicks. If he's practicing and preparing like he seems to acknowledge I could imagine significant reps at FSU - not a lot of film on him to date - could be a great complement to Gallman in a game like that, if he's ready.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3.7 yds. per carry is not hot by any means! Play Feaster!***

Oct 22, 2016, 5:00 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3.7 yds. per carry is not hot by any means! Play Feaster!***

Oct 22, 2016, 7:01 PM

Exactly...

especially when the other 3 aren't fairing any better.

Ride in the DELOREAN TIME MACHINE with Tavien FEASTER & TNET

Oct 23, 2016, 3:40 AM

Hold up... Where's Marty and Doc??? Maybe I've been riding in the DeLorean Time Machine too long because I'm getting a lot of déjà vu around here lately! Does TigerNet not have anything else to write about?

There are more than 100 players on our roster to write about, and 10 different coaches. We have water boys, equipment staff, athletic trainers, etc etc. That means that TigerNet's three -- THREE -- articles over the last WEEK about Tavien Feaster on the sideline during the NCST game are a sure sign of... well, how should I put it? A man crush? Déjà vu?? The Bye-week Blues?!?

Seriously, all jokes aside. TigerNet, please, PLEASE, write about someone different for a change! Feaster didn't play. No amount of articles will change that. I think we can all agree that Dabo doesn't care what anyone outside his program thinks anyway, and that's how it ought to be.

TNET, Let's remove the flux capacitor. Life goes on.

Go Tigers! Beat FSU!

With The Caveat

Oct 23, 2016, 6:33 AM

that you don't get anyone else injured or killed. That applies to everyone.

Oct 23, 2016, 7:27 AM

This is an easy one. if a player can come and say "they brought me in here to be special", then he should PLAY and PRACTICE to be special. I think Dabo and staff have proven that they are not going to just throw a player out there because he was a 5-star in high school. Heck, even DW had to wait a few games before Dabo realized the guy was ready. I TOO wish that Feaster had played against state, but something caused the staff NOT to use him. Frankly, I'm ready to see him SHOW some 5-star flash against someone other than South Carolina State. He is not a kick returner, don't put him back there. BUT, get him the ball in space. Sweeps and passes out of the backfield.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I assume a lot to do with pass blocking.

Oct 23, 2016, 9:38 PM

Gotta be able to pick up the blitz.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic