Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney updates contract situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney updates contract situation

Mar 9, 2016, 4:08 PM

Swinney updates contract situation

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney confirmed to TigerNet Wednesday afternoon that a new deal between Swinney and the school is in the works but that two sides haven’t reached an agreement but are talking. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get this man $5M+ and don't ever let him leave.

Mar 9, 2016, 4:10 PM

Goodness.

Snowflake Basher........Out

agree***

Mar 9, 2016, 4:25 PM

Re: Get this man $5M+ and don't ever let him leave.

Mar 9, 2016, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Get this man $5M+ and don't ever let him leave. ]

He is worth more than any other coach. He doesn't just bring wins, but he brings character and excellence, on and off the field. Isn't that what we want? I don't just want wins. I want wins by players who are smart, meet standards, who graduate and make productive citizens, and players and coaches who are not an embarrassment to our University. In other words, I want us to be the polar opposite of usuc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2016, 5:42 AM

> He is worth more than any other coach. He doesn't
> just bring wins, but he brings character and
> excellence, on and off the field. Isn't that what we
> want? I don't just want wins. I want wins by players
> who are smart, meet standards, who graduate and make
> productive citizens, and players and coaches who are
> not an embarrassment to our University. In other
> words, I want us to be the polar opposite of usuc.

Outstanding post, Dugatiger, and spot on as to what we want and need at Clemson. TU for you!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2016, 10:42 AM

Back at you, my friend!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thoughts exactly.

Mar 10, 2016, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Get this man $5M+ and don't ever let him leave. ]

I wish I could TU this post 100 times.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: My thoughts exactly.

Mar 10, 2016, 11:02 AM

Thnx! I am extremely happy with our coach and the staff we have. Likewise I am excited about the players we have representing us. Nobody does it better, and I am enjoying this ride.

Re: New Story: Swinney updates contract situation

Mar 9, 2016, 4:15 PM

Come on D Rad pay the guy. Tack on another 1.5m and bring it to ~5m total. Players love him. He loves the players. Fans love him he loves the fans. Lock him up at 5m for the next 12 years and up the buyout to outlandish terms.
We know dabo won't give up on Clemson so we can use that as leverage to make a high buyout for him.

Mar 10, 2016, 11:18 AM

I like the way you think!

Mar 10, 2016, 2:28 PM

we have no idea what they are negotiating over. It may not have to do w salary. I wouldn't even out a buyout clause in there. Dabo loves Clemson and I think he is happy here. Pay him what he is worth. He could go to all the players we are putting in the pros and make payroll if needed for him and his staff. He is humble and not greedy!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2016, 11:04 PM

I thoroughly believe that, to Dabo, it isn't about the money. That is not his mission, IMO. He is building great men, and along with that a great football program with great players, coaches and staff. He is getting there, too. God bless Dabo Swinney!

Mar 9, 2016, 4:16 PM

Pay him whatever he wants

Mar 9, 2016, 4:42 PM

I agree, we won't find another with his character and more determined to win championships everyday that he works for Clemson, and he has more than proved himself, and his value to the University in more ways than just sports!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2016, 5:46 AM

Agreed, please don't "fiddle far.....uuhh toot" around on this and make it a "nickel-dime" type of negotiation. When Dabo says what he is looking for, then the answer is "You got it!!"

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2016, 4:16 PM

Would think the buyout if Swinney leaves would go up, IF he would agree to that.

Whatever it takes. Pay the man.***

Mar 9, 2016, 4:29 PM

That little receiver coach wants more money? You'd think

Mar 9, 2016, 4:32 PM

he had been to a few ACCCG and Orange Bowls, even won a couple of each. For that kind of money you'd think he'd won a playoff game and been to the title game in only the second year of the CFP, a few top-10 finishes, a #2 ranking, several top-10 recruiting classes, packing the home stadium, popular with the fans and community broke the record for consecutive home wins and overall wins. What's he thinking?

Another Big School Could Easily Cover Dabo's 5 Mil Buyout

Mar 9, 2016, 4:37 PM

D-Rad better not screw around on this one. This is Big-Boy Football and it could cost Clemson a Helluva lot more if we lost Dabo than what it will cost to keep him

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

If he does, everybody knows who needs to be let go...

Mar 9, 2016, 9:16 PM

Radakovich best get his crap together... soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another Big School Could Easily Cover Dabo's 5 Mil Buyout

Mar 10, 2016, 7:08 AM [ in reply to Another Big School Could Easily Cover Dabo's 5 Mil Buyout ]

Yep, I bet that the University advertising bill has dropped bc of all the free media coverage that Dabo's body of work has brought to the University Campus. Yes D Rad, millions in advertising Clemson in and around DV, and at every school we have visited for a win....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back up the Brinks truck and give him what he's earned.

Mar 9, 2016, 4:37 PM

Ridiculous that this isn't resolved. Those buyouts if he leaves need to be substantially increased.

Pay that man his money

Mar 9, 2016, 4:39 PM

***))((

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Mar 9, 2016, 4:46 PM

For Pete's sake. If Dabo is not one of the top coaches in the nation and paid accordingly, then something is very wrong. If he were to put himself on the market, I believe someone would pay in excess of $6M. Even Muschamp's first year salary is $3M. From where we were to where we are today is like night and day. Come on, no reason to drag this out.

Re: This Is Not A Question...

Mar 9, 2016, 4:48 PM

Time to get out the checkbook and get it done. Clemson has the money, in large part thanks to Dabo's efforts. We cannot stand to risk it making financial sense for him to go elsewhere. If we want to continue at the level of success that we've experienced over the last half-decade, we're going to do it with Dabo.

Increase ticket prices and iptay dues 10% and that

Mar 9, 2016, 4:55 PM

will cover an extra 2 million a year

Mar 9, 2016, 5:16 PM

Give Coach Dabo every penny and clause. He knows his worth and I don't think he would be greedy. Clemson cannot afford to lose the best coach in the nation.

Mar 9, 2016, 5:18 PM

Time to go "All In". Write the check!

Mar 9, 2016, 5:20 PM

If the AD is even thinking about it then maybe he needs find another job. I'm sure there are a lot of things in a contract renewal that I am clueless about. Having said that, all I can say is that Dabo is easily worth being paid the same as the top coaches in America because he is one of them. I can't believe this is even in discussion!!!!
Go TIGERS!!!!!

Deer DRad...

Mar 9, 2016, 5:21 PM

Don't **** this up.

Signed

Tiger fans everywhere

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

If DRAD screws this up, then it will be him looking for

Mar 9, 2016, 5:53 PM

another job.

Mar 9, 2016, 5:59 PM

Another vote.....pay the man.

Mar 9, 2016, 6:06 PM

Ok - let me ask this question and hopefully someone has some good insight.....

The fact that this deal isn't done yet. Is this a bad sign? Is this just a complicated process that will take time delayed a little so the other coaches could get their $? Or is Dan R picking the worst time in history to be a tight wadd?

I must admit, reading this update doesn't give me a good feeling....

Thoughts??

Maybe he is negotiating more for his assistants? wouldn't

Mar 9, 2016, 6:14 PM

be the first time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe he is negotiating more for his assistants? wouldn't

Mar 9, 2016, 8:23 PM

I think Venables should be the highest paid Def cord in the nation

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buy Out Terms Are The Issue

Mar 9, 2016, 6:18 PM

Salary is not the issue. DRad wanting to drastically up the buy out if Dabo leaves is the issue. Pres. and DRad know what's coming and are trying to lock the man up. Hopefully they will find common ground.
All In on both sides!

Mar 9, 2016, 6:22 PM

Help me to understand.

The guys we actually go to watch...the players...deserve no compensation for their work. That's what coaches, including Dabo, say.

But, they also think that 3.5M with a $17M buyout isn't enough. Meanwhile his buyout to leave is $5M and we pay him for his name? But that players don't deserve that..

I'm as big a Clemson fan as any, buy people like y'all screaming "Pay!" will be the ones mad when this sports collapses under it's own weight. ESPN is struggling under all of their contracts; the money won't be there forever. This is a bubble just like any other.

So, those of you calling Rad names for acting like a businessman better look in the mirror when the well dries up. You are creating the demand, and it's not sustainable.

Or..maybe you'll pay extra for IPTAY dues and tickets when players finally win the right to organize and make money on their likeness, just like Dabo does.

Don't blame the players when that happens. It'll be your fault for insisting on insane contracts for coaches, and then they insist on unsustainable facility growth.

Mar 9, 2016, 6:26 PM

As long as Bama, LSU, and Texas sling money around like it's confetti there's not much choice. You pay or you get raped.

Mar 9, 2016, 7:33 PM

Everyone bashing d-rad should chill. I would bet the holdup is more about buyout than total salary. And in Clemson's interest, we need to get that right

Mar 9, 2016, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney updates contract situation ]

Old argument but players do get compensation. Free education. Physical training. Food. Etc. For the best, a ticket to the NFL and salaries that make dabos salary look like pocket change. I do think there ought to be a minor league system that is slowly starting to develop. College should be for STUDENT athletes. For clemson, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Ours are and get both outstanding athletic and academic experiences.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Mar 9, 2016, 8:23 PM

Old argument...you mean like the one you just made?

Let's say $30,000 for college and add another $40,000 for everything else. Now, do the math and figure out the hourly wage. Along with that, find me another sport where the coach makes millions more the the best athletes. Or...find me another industry where the multi million dollar CEO interacts daily with the workers on the floor. No, your argument is the same garbage repeated over and over again on networks and in magazines.

How about this...how absurd does it look for teams to raise trophies after winning a playoff game? What did we win by beating the Sooners in the Orange Bowl..nothing. A trip to try and win the trophy, that's it. Why do they give trophies? Because the other old men that make millions off of the "well paid" athletes are holding on for dear life to the outdated bowl system, private jets, red carpets and fat wallets.

It's not just the coaches making millions off of the players, it's the entire system. It's irrefutable, and the former President of the NCAA, who coined the term "student athlete" as a means to prevent workers comp claims, is on record saying that it's an outdated term.

The fact is that you defend the system because you don't want to lose your Saturdays, even if it means supporting an absurd industry.

Mar 9, 2016, 8:38 PM

Fine. Split the athletics from the University. Make the players employees. Make it a semi pro league. They can be traded just like in minor leagues. If you want to be compensated, you are no longer a amateur and must be treated as a professional. I think we are close to that and do not like the direction college football and basketball are heading. There should be 2 distinct paths. One is direct to pro and one is through college. I think the college path is better as you get much more than the monetary cost of college. You get something to do after you blow out your knee for the third time. Also, If you want to make them compensated employees, the value of the tuition and every other benefit should be taxable. You can't have it both ways. I'm an amateur and should get college and benefits for free but I should also be able to make money on my college career.

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Mar 9, 2016, 8:50 PM

There we agree. I'm for the college route as well.

Let's just make sure that everyone is compensated somewhat evenly. You can't be for the college route and be fine with $17M buyouts and billion dollar capital campaigns.

Or, let's see if people really go to see Dabo coach, or players play. When those players opt for a paid route, and we put a less than athletic team on the field, will you pay the same to watch Dabo coach.

I've seen a lot of legends coach in Death Valley. I'll admit to glancing toward the sideline to see what a Bowden, Spurrier or Beamer are doing. That lasts about twenty seconds before I'm bored and turn to what I paid to see.....the players.

Mar 9, 2016, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney updates contract situation ]

I bet you're a Bernie Sanders supporter.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2016, 2:56 PM

Far from it, but I bet you watch Fox News, listen to Rush Limbaugh and regurgitate everything you hear, while telling yourself that you actually have original thoughts.

Since your the guy bringing politics into sports, and it's pretty safe to assume from what you said that your either a conservative or libertarian, let me pose a question that will require actual thought. What is it about college sports that you think espouses to the ideals of capitalism and democracy that I imagine you like to base all of your arguments on.

To answer your next question to me...Yes, you are that easy to figure out.

Mar 10, 2016, 6:26 PM

dwbolto, are you talking to me?

Mar 10, 2016, 6:43 PM

I don't do this board thing much, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. Unless you just claimed I am a Bernie Sanders supporter.

Mar 10, 2016, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney updates contract situation ]

Do the math? Use your numbers, $30,000 + $40,000 per semester is $140,000 per year. They are limited to 20 hours per week (NCAA limit) and there are 30 weeks in 2 semesters. They get some weeks off but we will go with that because they have some fall camp. So 20 hours/week X 30 weeks = 600 hours. $140,000/600 hours = $233/hour.

I am busy paying for what Clemson costs right now for my Junior daughter and I can tell you it adds up to a LOT of money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2016, 6:42 PM

Stop it. I wasn't talking about per semester, and if you think the players only put in 20 hours, I have some waterfront property in kansas for you.

Mar 10, 2016, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney updates contract situation ]

Their education isn't free. It comes as the result of a lot of very hard work and hours of stuff most folks can't even imagine. Still, they are receiving benefits for their effort. My point is, it's no "free ride", as I hear so many say.

Mar 11, 2016, 11:07 PM

The truth must hurt.

Mar 10, 2016, 5:59 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney updates contract situation ]

dwbolto, you may be correct in your assessment of the future direction of money in football but that isn't where we are right now. I don't want Clemson to lead the way on starting a new climate in compensation for coaches or players. Let's play the hand we have now and if the "rules" change in the future, then adapt to the new rules. Dabo has a good situation here at Clemson and Clemson has an outstanding situation with Dabo. I hope both of the two parties recognize their own strengths and don't get bogged down in minutia.

Mar 11, 2016, 1:15 PM

There's not going to be a rules change. One day we'll find out that ESPN no longer prints money, and the teams that were prepared will remain financially stable.

I'm all for reaching an agreement with Dabo, but that agreement has to be fair. That means the buyout needs to be as much a deterrent for him to leave as is it us to fire him. $5 million is not a deterrent to Bama.

Rad is doing exactly what he should be doing.

Here are the facts

Mar 10, 2016, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney updates contract situation ]

Players choose the best available option on the open market with regard to education/football. Currently a full scholarship to attend college AND play football is their best choice as evident by the number of players doing that vs not doing that.

Coaches choose the best available option on the open market with regard to their job. The market today for a coach with CDS's resume WILL offer something more than 3.5 with a buyout.

So, our choice is to pay CDS market price or not. If we do not, we risk losing him to another school and starting over.

Pretty simple if you ask me. And yes, CFB is a business and with wins come revenue...so the powers to be will have to decide if an additional investment in coaching will be justified by increased revenue.

Mar 9, 2016, 8:33 PM

WHEN IS ENOUGH...............................
sorry to say but not one of us will ever see that kind of doe. Every school makes it harder and harder for the WORKING man to enjoy a good Saturday game with the family.
WHEN IS ENOUGH...............................
I love my tiger's BUT COME ON MAN .................................

"No state employee can make more than $2.45M"

Mar 9, 2016, 8:59 PM

That appears to be the issue... I say get him off the state payroll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: "No state employee can make more than $2.45M"

Mar 10, 2016, 10:52 AM

The school would have to be private for that to happen. Every single person who gets a pay check from Clemson is a state employee. Even the kids who work the front desk at Fike and the professors.

Dabo definitely needs/deserves more money!

Mar 9, 2016, 10:31 PM

Last weekend when they had youth day he had twice as many kids in his line to get his autograph then Watson & the rest of the players did & these are kids we are talking about, not grown-ups! The whole fan base loves him & so does the players. Give the man Saban money if you have to to make him happy! If not Saban money at the very least hes worth more than P.O.S. Spurrier!

Oh & while youre at it give BV, Elliott,& Scott a $2M raise to keep them put too!

Mar 9, 2016, 10:49 PM

My thoughts, and I have not read all of the comments. Dabo came in and sacrificed salary to be able to acquire the assistants that he wanted to build the program. And that he has done. Now, lets pay him what he is worth!

Mar 9, 2016, 11:30 PM

Me thinks this should have been handled (totally) internal and not brought to message boards during the process. But I trust all will work out.

Dabo is not worried about da money ....

Mar 9, 2016, 11:56 PM

He is only concerned about winning ...

But seriously, pay da man ...

Sounds like we need a fourth document.

Mar 10, 2016, 10:47 AM

The Tigernet-contributed salary. I'm in for $100.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic