Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney says team not lucky: "They know how to win"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney says team not lucky: "They know how to win"

Oct 17, 2016, 12:19 PM

Swinney says team not lucky: "They know how to win"

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney knows his team is fortunate, but he also says he has a team that just knows how to win. Third-ranked Clemson defeated North Carolina St. 24-17 in overtime last Saturday, and they have this week off before traveling to Florida St. on October 29th. Kickoff in that game is set for 8 p.m. and will be televised on ABC.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Swinney says team not lucky: "They know how to win"

Oct 17, 2016, 12:26 PM

I think it was Hyatt that let watson get hammered a few times w minimal blocking and he's player of the game? Wow

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2016, 12:30 PM

In all due respect, they might know how to win, but I saw NCSU miss a field goal with no time which got us into overtime...admit it or not we were just plain lucky Saturday...

Oct 17, 2016, 12:49 PM

Was it luck when Dabo that the kicker was iced? He didn't make a play just like a receiver dropping the ball. Is that luck also?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2016, 12:53 PM

Good point...

Oct 17, 2016, 1:29 PM

it's gotta be considered "lucky" cause we don't get an opportunity to overcome that fg if it goes through, like it would 98% of the time.. great teams need luck, too.. and, we got a little saturday.

Oct 17, 2016, 5:50 PM

Exactly ! 98% of the time they make that kick . What bothered me the most was how they controlled the football the last 6 minutes of the game and drove right down the field on our defense. If the situation was reversed and we missed a 33yd chip shot field goal ...we would ALL BE SAYING ...that they got a gift and were #### lucky to win the game. Everyone seems to forget he made it on the first attempt.

Well, if a receiver was wide open in the EZ on the last play

Oct 17, 2016, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says team not lucky: "They know how to win" ]

of the game and the QB made a perfect pass to him and he dropped it...I would consider that a little bit lucky.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES, We were LUCKY... It was OUT of our hands!

Oct 17, 2016, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says team not lucky: "They know how to win" ]

Yes, it was luck... Clemson was out of the control of what happened with that last field goal...They were AT THE MERCY of the kicker to make it or not. A pass gives a team a chance to respond, BUT as long as that kick isn't blocked, it is up to the NCST kicker. Whether you say fortunate or lucky... it is the same. Coach, you and the team should be humbled by it and not engage in word games. NCST humbled the team at the end.

Oct 17, 2016, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says team not lucky: "They know how to win" ]

Dabo would blow sunshine up Satan's butt and it might would work.

We never seemed to be very "lucky" before the Dabo era.

Oct 17, 2016, 12:33 PM

We actually seemed to get more and more "lucky" as we hired great coaches and routinely assembled Top-10 recruiting classes.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We never seemed to be very "lucky" before the Dabo era.

An ultra-successful friend of mine (who is no longer with us) once told me, "People tell me all the time how lucky I am, but you know, the harder I work, the luckier I am."

Oct 17, 2016, 4:56 PM

There you go. Well said. Make your own luck!

Oct 17, 2016, 3:57 PM [ in reply to We never seemed to be very "lucky" before the Dabo era. ]

Danny Ford once said, "Good things happen to good teams." I think this really applies to this team.

Also, if you offered me the choice between a team that ran up huge scores and won almost all of their games and a team that made way too many turnovers but managed to win despite them, I would take the team with the turnovers every time!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats cute and all. I wonder if all that "know how"

Oct 17, 2016, 12:47 PM

somehow forced dude to aim to the right.

Team needs to tighten up a bit. Eventually the horseshoe will fall out

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

In short? YES

Oct 17, 2016, 1:51 PM

Go back and watch each field goal... we were getting pressure up the middle, and our guys were getting their hands up. (hence the block)

Kicker cheated right to try to avoid the surge and not get blocked... missed right!

Constant pressure and attacking every play is what led to the kicker missing slight right.

I do agree that we need to tighten up though. The league is getting tougher and there is no longer any "gimmie" conference games. Gotta earn them all!

Go Tigers!!

We are exceptional at making kickers miss***

Oct 17, 2016, 1:55 PM

Best part of our team.

Really, we have the bodies to have a pretty good field goal block unit. That being said, the kick goes in 9/10 times regardless how you swing it, which = luck/good fortune/divine intervention

It was Not All Luck

I agree that we were very lucky with the missed FG at the end.
But I have watched many Clemson teams before Dabo who would find a way to Lose a game like this instead of believing until the end and finding a way to Win. I will take the win every time!
That is the culture change he speaks of in my opinion and it seems real.
We definitely have to clean up the turnovers or we will not get to where we want to be. I think part of what we are seeing is that everyone gives us their very best shot now. NC State was unbelievably aggressive and FSU definitely will be too.
We will be ready for the challenge.
Go Tigers!!! ??

It's a bit of both

Oct 17, 2016, 12:53 PM

NCState missing that chip shot kick was lucky for us, but taking charge and winning the game in OT was the winning mentality that Dabo is speaking of. To go undefeated, you've gotta have some luck. Right now, we're 7-0 and we just need to keep on keeping on. Wolfpack are behind us.

Re: It's a bit of both

Oct 17, 2016, 1:17 PM

I generally agree with what is being said here, and, yes, we got lucky. But the reason that we were in a position of being considered lucky is that fact that our defense and special teams bailed our offense out.

Think about it. We have four turnovers and still NC State came away with only 17 points for the game, only 10 of which were scored by the NCSU offense. If NC State had been better in the redzone that game would have never come down to a FG opportunity for them. They would have had the game well in hand already. Sure, they ran the ball against us hard (worrisome for the FSU game) but when they get to the red zone they bogged down almost every time because of our defense and/or special teams.

We should have lost that game by 14 to 21 points but our other phases of the game got the back of our offense and said we got this. The offense should spend the next two weeks carrying the books and sports bags of the defense. They should be taking the defense and special teams out to dinner. Because, instead of enduring what should have been a 21 point loss, we won by 7 in OT despite our offense's miscues.

Re: It's a bit of both

Oct 17, 2016, 1:35 PM

that's a real pessimistic way of looking at it... it's not like all our turnovers were near our goal line and they just happen to not score off of them... 1 was and it turned into 7 pts.. the realistic way of looking at it, is to say had we not fumbled twice inside the 10 yrd line (one at the 1 yrd line) we win that game by 14 pts and then you'd be right... it doesn't come down to that FG.

Perhaps, but a team that "knows how to win" also does...

Oct 17, 2016, 12:56 PM

not continue to put the ball on the ground and knows how to put opponents away, thus taking luck out of the equation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2016, 12:56 PM

Like his attitude but my guess internally they have to be more frustrated than they are letting on. Whatever they are doing at practice to coach ball security isn't working. Do something else

4 turnovers, and they miss a chip shot FG= a little luck but

Oct 17, 2016, 12:58 PM

I'll take it....

3 missed FGs is lucky***

Oct 17, 2016, 12:59 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One was blocked, I'd say that one was earned.

Oct 17, 2016, 1:09 PM

But, yep, lucky on those other two. Though, after blocking one, Dabo Icing him to make him thinking about it is a d@mn good call too...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3 missed FGs is lucky***

Oct 17, 2016, 1:38 PM [ in reply to 3 missed FGs is lucky*** ]

2 missed fgs is lucky.. but, only the last one would have changed the outcome... had the first one been good, the complexion of the game changes and so does the strategy of the rest of the game for both teams.

# 18 would have blocked that last one - nuff said and all

Oct 17, 2016, 6:15 PM [ in reply to 3 missed FGs is lucky*** ]

the others had terrific rushers going at kicker, who had to be freaked out after Christian Wilkins block!

Oct 17, 2016, 1:18 PM

Coach I have great respect for you, but you got lucky.

Game Winning Field Goal Missed Is Pure Luck Coach.***

Oct 17, 2016, 1:22 PM

Re: Game Winning Field Goal Missed Is Pure Luck Coach.***

Oct 17, 2016, 1:40 PM

esp when its 33 yards out, smack dab in the middle of the field. yes, our team knows how to win, hence their record.. but, the only thing that kept him from making that FG was nerves. clemson had no control of that kick.

Re: Game Winning Field Goal Missed Is Pure Luck Coach.***

Oct 17, 2016, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Game Winning Field Goal Missed Is Pure Luck Coach.*** ]

So, using your non-logic, every field goal made is luck, too!
I'm sorry but that is beyond ridiculous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Game Winning Kick stands on its own merit...Lucky.

Oct 17, 2016, 6:05 PM

NO, but a game winning, 90+% chance of success, 33 yards in the middle of the field IS different than another kick.

signed Auburn and Cam Newton***

Oct 18, 2016, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Game Winning Field Goal Missed Is Pure Luck Coach.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish they knew how to hold on to the football, then win !***

Oct 17, 2016, 1:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### I love William but I hate when he says #### like this

Oct 17, 2016, 1:52 PM

Because he didn't look like a man that had just gotten lucky at all after they missed the kick, on his knees thanking the good lord.

If it wasn't luck it was divine intervention

AMEN!

Oct 17, 2016, 6:08 PM

AMEN!

Oct 17, 2016, 3:37 PM

At this point in the season I DO NOT TRUST Ray Ray back deep on punt return there shouldn't be anyone back there except for A. Scott and/or H. Renfrow.

Sorry Dabo, but that was luck.

Oct 17, 2016, 4:21 PM

NCST out-coached and outplayed us. We're lucky that they don't have a kicker otherwise we'd be going into the bye week with a loss.

They didn't outcoach or outplay us. That's nonsense.***

Oct 17, 2016, 4:41 PM

They looked better than we did...particularly in first half.

Oct 17, 2016, 6:13 PM

Except for our last drive of the first half, they appeared to outplay us... even the announcer mentioned it.

after the vicious targeting against Gallman - "fumble" and

Oct 17, 2016, 6:18 PM

star player lost changed the whole game around. If penalty was called like it should have been, Tigers would still have ball in good field position. I don't understand how Dabo let them get away with it?

Completely disagree

Oct 17, 2016, 6:26 PM [ in reply to They looked better than we did...particularly in first half. ]

Even with 4 turnovers they mqnaged one offensive TD. We had ONE three and out and moved the ball all day. No way did they outplay us.

Oct 17, 2016, 4:46 PM

I don't think it was luck but we didn't block that kick. It was more of NCST not making the play then us stopping it.

Nice cover for your players

Oct 17, 2016, 4:48 PM

and how they played and fought all game. No doubt about it.

All that said, on the last play, we had the platinum horseshoe jammed up us sideways. I was there and saw it.

Along with great players and coaching, you've still got to have a little luck along the way to keep winning every game. Even the injury bug has to fall your way, which is another thing out of your control.

Oct 17, 2016, 4:54 PM

Coach is right....many teams would have folded at different points during this game. The momentum shifts are mental warfare. These men never quit. I'm proud they play for and represent Clemson!

Oct 17, 2016, 4:58 PM

I like what dabo says. However I have lost all trust in 5 star McCloud on the punt return squad. I am afraid dabo's over optimism in Mr 5 star will soon hurt us. Artavis should be returning punts. I would rather see Christian Wilkins return punts for that matter!! At least he knows how to catch the ball before worrying about joking and showing off by dropping the ball before crossing the goal line. Not impressed with McCloud. Lots of talent but must be missing in work ethic or something. 0 star walk on Renfrow out plays him weekly, no jukes necessary.

Oct 17, 2016, 5:03 PM

I would like to see Wilkins at running back a few times a game. He will open some holes for the OL.

YEAH, Wilkins can be the "Freezer".

Oct 17, 2016, 6:16 PM

YEAH, like the "Fridge"!

Oct 17, 2016, 5:42 PM

Sorry, Dabo ...we were #### lucky to win that game and a loss to NC State at home could have been the end of a chance to play the in the CFB PLayoff.

Oct 17, 2016, 6:08 PM

How is us looking at the opposing team setting up to kick the game winning field goal with 2 secs left "knowing how to win"?

I have the confuse.

Oct 17, 2016, 7:45 PM

I just want to see Dabo acknowledge how bad the team has played instead of all this sunshine. It's beginning to get old.

Oct 17, 2016, 8:02 PM

I didn't see much skill in our players in that final missed field goal. yes, Christian Wilkins blocked one earlier and that may be a contributing factor. the point is our guys should not have been in that situation to begin with. With all the turn overs, mainly in the red zone, that game should have been a blow out. The only team that can beat Clemson is Clemson, and they are trying their best to do that.

You can't say that missed field goal

Oct 18, 2016, 7:28 AM

Was nothing but luck. That was out of our hands. We did not control that. They screwed up on that field goal. That was luck. If every game the rest of the year comes down to a last second field goal we'll be "lucky" to win another game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can't say that missed field goal

Oct 18, 2016, 7:55 AM

Reading all these posts I would think we were 2 -5 instead of 7-0. I don't buy the out playing us argument either. 30 first downs, 497 yds offense If we don't have 4 TOs we win going away and the luck discussion is moot.
Come on guys enjoy the ride. This is now the Golden age of CU Football. Believe me, I've been watching CU fb since 1958 and I'll take any win over losing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oct 18, 2016, 11:28 AM

Nm.

Agreed: NOT Lucky

Oct 18, 2016, 4:33 PM

To summarize: Merriam-Webster, Oxford Dictionary and Dictionary.com. They all define "luck" as: the success or failure brought about by chance; a force that brings about good fortune or adversity rather than through one's on actions.

I am sure one's perception depends greatly on which side of the receiving end you find yourself - fortune or adversity, success or failure. But can't we attribute what happened to the players and coaches? Their skill and ability? No, I am afraid you can't have it both ways - it's simple logic.

To say what happened Saturday was purely "chance" means to completely dismiss everyone's performance, including Bambard's inability to make the kick in the closing seconds - his skill (or lack thereof) had nothing to do with it. If you strike that up to "chance" then likewise, you must also attribute the following to "chance" or "force": The OT coin toss (in reality, a probability - not chance); Watson's ability to make the OT TD pass and Scott's ability to catch it (and every play in between); Edmond's ability to make the INT...these were all of no consequence...it was all just "chance." It had nothing to do with the performance or action of the players. The law of non-contradiction say two contradictory statements cannot both be true at the same time. It's either luck or performance; not both/and.

(Divine intervention is a whole different story!)

Go Tigers!

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic