Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Spiller on Feaster wearing No. 28: The number comes with expectations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

New Story: Spiller on Feaster wearing No. 28: The number comes with expectations

Jul 25, 2016, 1:55 PM

Spiller on Feaster wearing No. 28: The number comes with expectations

Freshman running back Tavien Feaster will wear number 28 this season, with the blessing of current New Orleans Saints running back C.J. Spiller. But Spiller says wearing the number comes with an obligation.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Spiller on Feaster wearing No. 28: The number comes with expectations

Jul 25, 2016, 2:00 PM

:)

Big shoes to fill. Make Spiller proud Feaster.***

Jul 25, 2016, 2:01 PM

Re: New Story: Spiller on Feaster wearing No. 28: The number comes with expectations

Jul 25, 2016, 2:02 PM

I hope CJ reads tigernet... Great story . Keep the #28 legend going Feaster!!! 110%

According to David Hood, CJ says he does read it.***

Jul 25, 2016, 2:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

CJ reads TigerNet

Jul 25, 2016, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Spiller on Feaster wearing No. 28: The number comes with expectations ]

He spent a few minutes telling me we were really the only site he follows to keep up with Clemson news, and that he likes the fact we keep it classy. But he's the classy one. Very special young man

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See, I told ya!***

Jul 25, 2016, 2:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Hey CJ, (long shot but) if you read this shoot me a Tmail

Jul 25, 2016, 3:08 PM [ in reply to CJ reads TigerNet ]

so I can send an invite for my wedding in January. I'd invite all Clemson players/fans but I don't have NFL money. Haha

CLASSY?????

Jul 25, 2016, 4:32 PM [ in reply to CJ reads TigerNet ]

He doesn't read Tigernets.

LOVE YOU CJ!! SO PROUD OF YOUR EXAMPLE!!!***

Jul 25, 2016, 6:17 PM [ in reply to CJ reads TigerNet ]

If he thinks it is classy, he obviously doesn't

Jul 25, 2016, 10:08 PM [ in reply to CJ reads TigerNet ]

frequent the Tiger Board.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

CJ started it all

Jul 25, 2016, 2:03 PM

I love that man

What a tiger!

Greatest Tiger EVER

Jul 25, 2016, 2:04 PM

CJ is all class. Always has been. His love for Clemson is just extraordinary. He's a special kind of ambassador for our school and I hope everybody realizes how lucky we are to have him on our side.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And here's a great flashback

Jul 25, 2016, 2:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIT-3gcAR8

I remember sitting on about the 40 when that happened. I couldn't talk/cheer/breathe for about a minute after witnessing that.

It's one heckuva act to follow.

i've seen that 100's of times

Jul 25, 2016, 9:11 PM

and I still get goosebumps.

CJ was an All-World player, but is an even better ambassador for Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And here's a great flashback

Jul 25, 2016, 10:13 PM [ in reply to And here's a great flashback ]

Tavien will be able to do that too!

Re: And here's a great flashback

Jul 26, 2016, 10:51 AM [ in reply to And here's a great flashback ]

If Ole Feaster resembles that at all this season as our third down back......holy smokes this would be the most prolific college offense in history.....hands down and that's a fact.

If somebody wants to wear 66, who do they ask?

Jul 25, 2016, 2:05 PM

Banks McFadden is the only other retired football number and I'm not sure if he has much family left to give permission.

William Perry was #66 too

Jul 25, 2016, 2:15 PM

Actually there are a lot of Banks McFadden family still around (four daughters) but since The Fridge already wore #66 at Clemson, it seems as if asking permission from the McFadden's at this point would be a bit late in coming. The late Steve Durham also wore #66 for the Tigers.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think they retired the number until the 90s

Jul 25, 2016, 2:18 PM

I could be wrong but I think McFadden and Fuller's numbers were retired the same day.

Could be ...

Jul 25, 2016, 2:22 PM

"Retiring" actual numbers eventually creates problems ... especially when we are recruiting several 5* guys every year, many of whom have expectations of a certain number in college. Sooner or late you run out of numbers.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah the Yankees can barely give anybody single digits now***

Jul 25, 2016, 2:23 PM

Re: William Perry was #66 too

Jul 25, 2016, 8:13 PM [ in reply to William Perry was #66 too ]

I think 66 was retired after William Perry played.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: William Perry was #66 too

Jul 25, 2016, 8:14 PM

Retired in Banks McFaddens name after William Perry played just to be clear

Re: If somebody wants to wear 66, who do they ask?

Jul 25, 2016, 3:27 PM [ in reply to If somebody wants to wear 66, who do they ask? ]

They could ask his daughter who is a huge Clemson fan. Got to sit beside her 2 years ago at a basketball game and she and her husband were wonderful persons to talk to.

CUvsFSU2011win

-- Too many daughters and not enough bullets. --

Jul 25, 2016, 5:01 PM

I got to know Banks well -he would say let him wear it

Jul 25, 2016, 5:00 PM [ in reply to If somebody wants to wear 66, who do they ask? ]

That's why you retire jerseys not numbers.

Feaster will put up big numbers in his career.

Jul 25, 2016, 2:05 PM

but probably not like Spiller's. Feaster will have to share the ball with too many weapons to roll up huge amounts of yardage!

One of the best plays of all time.....

Jul 25, 2016, 2:16 PM

I still get goosebumps everytime I re-watch the Clemson - GT games where Spiller completely jukes 2 defenders and shoots up the sideline for a TD. The sickest move ever in college football.

Re: Feaster will put up big numbers in his career.

Jul 25, 2016, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Feaster will put up big numbers in his career. ]

Guys are breaking records every year at Clemson. Last year was probably a record breaking year for breaking records.

Jul 25, 2016, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Feaster will put up big numbers in his career. ]

Huh? Wayne gallman had a better single season statistically than cj ever did. If he gets a chance to be a feature back, he will have a great chance to put up huge

Jul 25, 2016, 2:59 PM

KO returns may be a harder number to match, and that put CJ way up there in all-purpose yards.

Jul 25, 2016, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Feaster will put up big numbers in his career. ]

Just remember our OL compared to now is night and day difference. Spiller made a way when there wasn't a hole anywhere constantly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 26, 2016, 11:48 AM

Our O-line during Spiller's freshmen year was actually pretty da** good. The only problem was teams started loading the box because they realized Will Proctor couldn't pass.

That's true. Spiller WAS our offense for a while.

Jul 25, 2016, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Feaster will put up big numbers in his career. ]

But now that we will be playing 15 games a year... that compensates.

But he is a RB. If he's truly as talented as CJ, the rest

Jul 25, 2016, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Feaster will put up big numbers in his career. ]

Will take care of itself

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jul 25, 2016, 2:13 PM

Talk about an ambassador to the program. CJ, we love & miss you brother! And Tavien, it's time to shine, make it count.

Jul 25, 2016, 2:28 PM

Great story! Love the part where S tells F to be do good & be good or else....maybe. Looking fwd to seeing #28 shine in the Blue Ridge again!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2016, 2:50 PM

I hope Feaster realizes Spiller's dedication to Clemson and his number twenty eight. What an honor he has given this young man. Clemson is family and we love our Tigers!

you tell 'em, cj!

Jul 25, 2016, 2:37 PM

go tigers!!!

Jul 25, 2016, 2:43 PM

CJ, Tiger Family loves you to bits! You'll always be #1 to me. ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Jul 25, 2016, 2:52 PM

As always, CJ's the greatest!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spot. The. Dang. Ball.

Jul 25, 2016, 3:56 PM

I just ran through a brick wall.....

Thats what I'm talking about!!!! Let's show em how it's done!!***

Jul 25, 2016, 4:03 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: Thats what I'm talking about!!!! Let's show em how it's done!!***

Jul 25, 2016, 4:22 PM

Mad respect for CJ. A NFL player took the time to build a relationship with a high schooler AND used the opportunity to mentor.

Jul 25, 2016, 4:20 PM

Reading this gave me chills.

As a student, My first game was in 2009. I was an avid NFL fan, but had never experienced college football in the south. At that game, Spiller took it to the house first play from scrimmage in 09.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2hQouoFK4I

Feaster will do that number proud.

Go Tigers

Jul 25, 2016, 4:39 PM

Wow.

What a man of class. If he never plays another down of football, he is still set for life and has his head screwed on right.

Jul 25, 2016, 4:41 PM

Big shoes to fill for sure. I think it shows what type of person CJ is to let #28 be worn again. ??

Jul 25, 2016, 5:30 PM

CJ always speaks highly of Clemson and his character always comes through in what he says, but that right there was the BEST quotes I think I've ever read from a Clemson alumni.

That's the kind of stuff you engrave in granite.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a big fan of asking Spiller to un-retire his number.

Jul 25, 2016, 5:39 PM

It puts Spiller in an awkward spot. Retiring a number should be like a verbal commitment from a recruit. Either do it and mean it...or don't at all.

I don't think players like CJ Spiller should be burdened with feeling like he needs to help the program by giving his number to a high-schooler. He loves Clemson so much he went against his desire to save it for his son. Spiller is one of the best men ever to be a Clemson Tiger.

Re: Not a big fan of asking Spiller to un-retire his number.

Jul 25, 2016, 6:02 PM

I believe the jersey is retired, not the number.

null

If true, I don't understand the point of that.

Jul 25, 2016, 6:25 PM

All jerseys are retired by default.

Re: Not a big fan of asking Spiller to un-retire his number.

Jul 25, 2016, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Not a big fan of asking Spiller to un-retire his number. ]
66.jpg(369.5 K)

Correct the Jersey is retired not the number for CJs 28. Only 4 & 66 are numbers retired. See page 6 (page 3) under ring of honor in the PDF link below

http://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1228&context=fball_prgms

I tend to agree with you, but at the same time...

Jul 25, 2016, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Not a big fan of asking Spiller to un-retire his number. ]

am quite confident that Dabo went about asking him in a humble and grateful manner. Of course, I don't know for sure, but I doubt C.J. felt "burdened" about this.

I'm sure the way Dabo went about it was appropriate...

Jul 25, 2016, 6:24 PM

my use of the word "burdened" had to do with CJ's innate kindness and love for Clemson. Good people carry their own burden, even if others are not pushy.

The situation itself is a burden. He may wish to retain the number for his child, but his loyalty to Clemson provided the burden to give up his number. I would rather follow a policy of either never retiring numbers or never asking players to give up retired numbers.

CJ is the absolutely the best Clemson guy we have ever had

Jul 25, 2016, 8:09 PM

Or we will ever have. Love his maturity and humility to be so talented.

He knows from where his help/talent and blessings come from and he allows the Lord to be his Guide in everything.

CJ has issues and fails like the rest of us but his ability to grow and become better is incredible.

Thank you CJ, can't explain how thankful we are for you and all you do for us and Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 25, 2016, 8:45 PM

If he performs with 28 the way Dw has performed.....holy shiite we will have something special. CJ, what a terrific representative of your family and the university.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally, I like have 28 back on the field. It will bring

Jul 25, 2016, 10:15 PM

back fond memories!

like this one...........

Jul 25, 2016, 10:21 PM
spud3.jpg(81.8 K)

In the -06 GT game when CJ bust that ine right up the middle, I was standing by Billy Davis, to my right, and I saw the hole open up and I said,"He's Gone! And he's coming right to us!!". I pointed to CJ about the time he hit the 20 and he saw me and pointed right back at me.

CJ Spiller was the best and still is Family

Jul 25, 2016, 10:24 PM

Watching CJ get the ball on a circle route and going the distance in Miami was incredible. Winning in OT with Jacoby was awesome. CJ was like H. Walker getting the ball and holding your breath. I watched both and loved the way they ran the ball. If Tavian can be the player CJ is, then he can be proud to wear number 28. He needs to remember that CJ represents the best of Clemson on and off the field. Family is forever so make us proud.

Jul 25, 2016, 11:38 PM

CJ is the epitome of a Clemson man. Man I love that guy. I sure hope he has a spot reserved within the program when his playing days are over. A lot of former players speak well about their former schools but CJ truly loves Clemson like we all do and there's no greater feeling to me than that.

Jersey remember the Greats similar to Ribbons

Jul 26, 2016, 11:25 AM

Keeping with Clemsons Military Heratage numbers like 66, 4 and 28 among other what if they started having military like ribbons on the left chest remembering the greats who earned the retirment of that number. From now on when we see 4 we will not only think of Fuller but also Watson. the ribbons could emulate the center strip on the helmet with "Fuller 75-78" "Watson 14 - 16"

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic