Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Louisville
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Louisville

Sep 18, 2017, 10:23 AM

Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Louisville

Clemson football is here to stay on the national stage, as the Tigers' depth in talent and skill showcased under the lights in Louisville, Kentucky. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty Spot on, I'd give Clemson Special Teams a B though,

Sep 18, 2017, 10:27 AM

Our kicking was an A- for sure, but our Returning was pretty mediocre-to-abysmal in my mind.... one thing I expect to improve upon as Etienne gets more and more comfortable on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree on B Grade...

Sep 18, 2017, 10:32 AM

FG Kicker is a shaky position. Missed FG and PAT block not good.

B is a fair grade

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Agree on B Grade...

Sep 18, 2017, 10:38 AM

I agree on the FG and PAT's, but our coverage has improved by light years from the days of TB and beyond when punts and KO's routinely yielded great return yards for opponents. I also having kickers who can limit returns via TB's. That was missing form many years, but now we can put it deep in the EZ, or we can kick high for pinning down if we want. Huge improvement, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree on B Grade...

Sep 18, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Agree on B Grade... ]

yeah PAT is especially bad. You dont have to have distance just get it up and going straight. FG was frustrating in that he made the longer one which the penalty negated and missed the shorter one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say C - leaving 4 points off the board is average at bes

Sep 18, 2017, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Agree on B Grade... ]

t

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was thinking C for ST too...

Sep 18, 2017, 2:11 PM

D and O were As for sure, but the special teams weren't sharp in all phases. If it were just punting and kickoffs, the ST would be an A. However, the return game and the missed FG / EP we're like Ds, so between the phases it was a C effort.

C? Seriously?

Sep 18, 2017, 11:26 PM

Huegel has been almost a gimmie for a while. He missed 1! With a new holder. No, Huegel is fine. You can hardly blame Huegel for a block on the XP. On kickoffs, the ######, err ahhh, cardinals couldnt find the 20... that's so much better than what it was 2 years ago when we held our breath every time... anyone remember the 2015 championship game? Spiers is doing great. We just need a returner
Ray Ray has been doing better at trying to return, instead of fair catching everything (when he catches it). I guess the bar has just been set high and nothing but perfection is ok. B+

Re: Pretty Spot on, I'd give Clemson Special Teams a B though,

Sep 18, 2017, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Pretty Spot on, I'd give Clemson Special Teams a B though, ]

I'm sick of our return guy having to backup to field a punt. Am I missing something here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see some signs of improvement, but we are still 81st in

Sep 18, 2017, 10:33 AM

special teams according to S&P+.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

Some of that is likely due to 2 missed FGs and a blocked XP. Huegel is a decent kicker, but i don't think he's ever going to be great. The return game hasn't been good yet either, but that could easily improve if Etienne gets settled in back there and looks as dangerous as he did on that run against Louisville.

Punting has been a pleasant surprise and the kickoff coverage has been excellent thus far.

great play by ettiene but Feaster wore out that team

Sep 18, 2017, 10:40 AM

Feaster was a monster to the Louisville defense and he would have rushed for 200 yards if he had been given the 20 touches he should get. Just like hey said on wccp I think Ettiene should get 5-8 a game to get him more and more experience and still sprinkle fuller and choice in but I'm think it's time to put that to rest they said if they are close in practice we will have to see them on game day and I think things have seperated quite a bit. I honestly think Fuller should be an up back that can switch in like the tight ends and interchaingle to help blocking and with the pass game in flats.

CJ did his part too.

Sep 18, 2017, 10:45 AM

We don't put all our eggs in one basket. Everybody will get their turn when it's their turn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: great play by ettiene but Feaster wore out that team

Sep 18, 2017, 10:46 AM [ in reply to great play by ettiene but Feaster wore out that team ]

Which running back gave up the sack?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1

Sep 18, 2017, 10:48 AM

That doesn't count if all you see is the boxscores or if you're about 12 years old and mommy still wipes for you.

Sep 18, 2017, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: great play by ettiene but Feaster wore out that team ]

Feaster. He went tu do a cut block but made himself too small. The blitzer sidestepped him and got Bryant quickly.

Sep 18, 2017, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: great play by ettiene but Feaster wore out that team ]

Feaster gave up a sack... he went low and the LB or safety hurdled him.... he was in the right spot just poor technique, he needs to keep his head up

Well, Jackson has been overhyped for two years now.

Sep 18, 2017, 10:43 AM

There's nothing wrong with us stealing a bit of his thunder. I believe the world saw him for what he is. I reckon we are a complete team now.

Re: Well, Jackson has been overhyped for two years now.

Sep 18, 2017, 11:07 AM

Action Jackson will have a tough time making it to the NFL as a qb, IMO.

Sep 18, 2017, 12:05 PM

YES! look they say he's so accurate but he's seriously not hes completion percentage was down the drain terrible in the game somewhere near his old numbers and he has no accuracy in tight windows or soft touch his receivers should be getting the credit for catching these throws.

Sep 19, 2017, 1:47 AM [ in reply to Well, Jackson has been overhyped for two years now. ]

Definitely.

Re: New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Louisville

Sep 18, 2017, 10:43 AM

From what I understand, there needs to be some improvement on snapping the ball as well.

Special Teams? whaaaa?

Sep 18, 2017, 12:03 PM

Our Special Teams could have been an A except we had a missed field goal attempt from the 42 (it was 47 and he still kicked it and made it so :p) but Ettiene is better straight from the backfield hopefully he gets more reps there than returning punts or kickoffs whatever he might be doing. Also finally happy we have a reliable punter good thing hes got 4 more years if he chooses to stay for all 4

Sep 18, 2017, 12:30 PM

Until the Tigers actually start to pressure the opposing team's punter, our return guy is going to continue to back up and play from his heels. Really kind of the exception that we actually try to pressure a punter - opposing team's punters have all the time in the world, take their time and their punt coverage is often within 10 yards of our returner on EVERY play. We have no where to run the ball once fielded.

Sep 18, 2017, 3:49 PM

They should let Renfro catch the punt and hand it to Christian Wilkins

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2017, 11:31 PM

Oh lord...stop, stop ... I can't breathe

That was funny.

Sep 18, 2017, 4:08 PM

Our fans are hogs, given where we were and where are. Not a criticism, just an observation. Yeah, we can make improvements. That's football, especially in the season early games. But we have a great team and some fans are never satisfied. Smell the roses after one of the best wins the Tigers have had. Go Tigers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2017, 1:24 PM

I don't know if anyone saw it but #24 Nolan Turner has got some wheels. I saw his work at the end of the game. He's pretty talented but third string. Just goes to show you how deep clemson is at that position.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic