Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Alabama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Alabama

Jan 5, 2018, 8:11 AM

Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Alabama

The narrative going into Sugar Bowl was if Clemson would top Alabama’s status as the best program in college football. In the aftermath of a double-digit loss, was there a bigger gap than was thought going in? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Alabama

Jan 5, 2018, 8:58 AM

Offensive line was pushed around like a mop from early on in the first quarter. Moreover, they were experienced players. Their manhood was challenged, and "they folded like a cheap suit."

Sad they did not get off the bus Monday night.

Additionally, I did not see any significant changes from play calling that would provide additional blocking for KB - no 2 back sets, not double tight end formations, etc. On the coaches here.

Tiger o line just got man handled. :(

Just curious...

Jan 5, 2018, 12:21 PM

Was there a point in the season when you DID "see a significant change in play calling that would provide additional blocking for KB"? If you have seen this at ANY time during the season, I'd like to know when. That's my one gripe about our OCs... they DO NOT make any adjustments. I guess they take the "it's just what we do" approach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just curious...

Jan 5, 2018, 12:30 PM

That is part of the problem. OC's Had a month to prepare and place some wrinkles in if needed; however, lack of a backup/alternate plan to protect the QB with different formations appears to be missing.

Which results in lost yardage the first three plays of the

Jan 5, 2018, 2:00 PM

second half. What the heck did they do at half time?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we tried going into an empty set, it didn't work

Jan 5, 2018, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Just curious... ]

I would have liked seeing 3WR set with a TE and RB helping protect but the coverage on the WR would have been really tight.

The RB failed in pass pro almost as quickly as the RG and RT. I would have liked to have seen a quick hitting RPO play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just curious...

Jan 5, 2018, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Just curious... ]

Really did not have to make many in game changes before the Playoff. Clemson's offense was strolling along pretty nicely in the first 13 games.

Special Teams should be an F

Jan 5, 2018, 9:52 AM

Kickoff Return: Awful
Punt Coverage: Awful
Punt Return: Bad
Kickoff Coverage: Meh
FG: Good

How in the heck did you see a B+?

Re: Special Teams should be an F

Jan 5, 2018, 10:41 AM

Maybe a D because Spence was good on field goals. But ETN and the special teams coach need an F- All he had to do on kickoff returns was let the ball go in the end zone on every kickoff and we start with +10 yards better field position than we had. And one had a chance to head out of bounds. Why he kept fielding those after the first one is beyond me. Ridiculous. That is poor coaching in my opinion. Did no one else see what I saw? At the game, turned to my sons beginning with the 2nd kickoff and said this is crazy.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:09 AM

If i remember correctly, the kicker for Bama has a strong leg and can put it in the end zone. It seemed to me after the second kick to the goal line tha the strategy was to kick high to the goal line and cover ETN. Did anyone else notice?

Yes, this was clearly Bama's strategy.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:20 AM

Every kickoff landed in nearly the same spot. I'm sure that we had been vanilla all year on our returns and Saban et al were able to watch the film and exploit the weakness. He put the ball exactly where we didn't want it for our returns.

They wouldn't have gone out of the endzone

Jan 5, 2018, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Special Teams should be an F ]

No kickoff returner is taught to let the ball bounce. The first thing they need to do is secure the ball. Then you see if you can take a knee. With the way Bama was kicking, we weren't able to take a knee, our return was setup the other direction, and Bama's coverage was already at the 25.

Also to be clear, we don't have 1 special teams coach. Yes Pearman is the special team coordinator, but I believe this is in title only. Different phases of special teams are administered by different coaches.

We were the 93rd ranked kickoff returning team in the nation. Alabama was ranked 33rd at kickoff coverage. The gap was even larger than those rankings show.

Second time that the game's most important phase has played a vital part in our loss to Alabama. Let's hope that it's seriously corrected this time around.

No Special Teams Coach

Jan 5, 2018, 11:49 AM

Dabo refuses to bring in a kicking coach as well. There is one based in the upstate that works with high School, College and NFL kickers, and this company has offered Dabo FREE time with our kickers.... Dabo has refused it every year. I don't understand why.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Jan 5, 2018, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Special Teams should be an F ]

Not much we could do with punt returns. Bama’s punter could boom it high and deep. Our return man was usually surrounded by white jerseys before he caught the ball.

They eventually gave up on returning it and tried for a block. Almost got a couple of them.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:37 AM

In the 1st clip with the Int was the horse collar penalty that was not a horse collar tackle, perfect example of the refs helping Bama when Bama didn't need any help!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 12:05 PM

From behind, it looked like a horse collar, from the front, it clearly wasn’t. Refs should have picked that flag up.

The no-call PI on the Higgins ball is the one that gets me.

Missing Gallman, Williams, and Leggett

Jan 5, 2018, 11:54 AM

The O-line gets a lot of blame, but they are four of the five guys who held their own against a better Bama defense last year.

Gallman’s role as DW4’s personal bodyguard is missed. Etienne and Feaster are better runners than Gallman, but their blocking is terrible. It will come, but it isn’t there yet. Perhaps passing down back C.J. Fuller should have been in there earlier, but things went from close defensive struggle to hopelessly behind in two offensive plays, so I can see where they wouldn’t have wanted to give up on the run so early.

We didn’t have the big boys downfield like we did with Leggett and Williams. Deon Cain is a different kind of receiver. Tee Higgins will be that guy but he’s an 18 year old kid and not there yet physically. His injury really crippled our offense.

Kelly B played his heart out, but never had a chance. Neither of the interceptions was his fault. It could have been so much worse. There’s a reason why the only other game we lost was when he was hurt.

In the end, it always was a rebuilding year on offense and that finally caught up with us against a good defense. We had the exact same problems against Auburn and BC, but better luck against Auburn and enough depth to wear out BC.

Re: Missing Gallman, Williams, and Leggett

Jan 6, 2018, 3:49 AM

The Oline did not play well at all. Every man lost his matchup at one point or another. Bama showed their speed, and this unit was not ready to pass protect.

Total agree on the RBs. ETN had a great season but has a long way to go in picking up blitzes. He's a freshman. He'll get there. Although I am confused as to why he was in on passing downs to begin with? The drive when the first INT happened, we showed that we were switching to a pass offense. The coaches said all season and every fan saw that ETN's biggest weakness was pass pro. Wouldn't you want a better blocker in to give KB a chance to make some plays?

Defense played great. Offense just got outmanned. The future is incredibly bright with what we've seen from ETN, Higgins, Overton, et al. I am a fan of KB, and I believe that we can win with him. His toughness and will are unquestionable, but he's not the most talented QB on the roster (and that includes Lawrence). He's got a long way to go as a passer. This program has invested a lot in bringing in top-tier WRs. It would be a shame to not utilize them to the fullest.

Outside of the two penalties (lining up in the nuetral zone) I thought our defense played a A+ game!***

Jan 5, 2018, 12:33 PM

Agree, O was the big F! D was brilliant. O Coaches need to

Jan 5, 2018, 1:45 PM

own their poor playcalling!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree, O was the big F! D was brilliant. O Coaches need to

Jan 5, 2018, 3:33 PM

Our offensive play calling to me wasn’t logical! U don’t try to overpower Alabama u have to finesse them with tempo and quick hitting slants to get the linebackers to quit crowding the line! Our OL was built for tempo not roadgrading! Coming out initially and passing the ball on first down might have loosened up their d quite a bit! This is where u utilize a tight end ######! On first down!

With that said! Why can’t we find a punter that can consistently kick it 40 yards! Wolford has one! When he does kick it 40 it has no hang time! Gotta find one that can consistently flip the field!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

field position wasn’t good for aggressive play calling

Jan 5, 2018, 6:39 PM

and that goes back to poor special teams play. At least Spence made the two FGs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2018, 3:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Agree, O was the big F! D was brilliant. O Coaches need to ]

Remember Bradley Pinion? That kid was a straight weapon punting the ball. Those are rare, and all punters have bad nights.

Alex Spence needs to het some serious love for hos performance. With the way he started his season, to come out and hit two 40+ yarders was impressive.

Jan 6, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Agree, O was the big F! D was brilliant. O Coaches need to ]

The offense was playing not to lose and to let the defense win it, which worked against Auburn. It looked exactly like the Auburn game until the first interception.

Power running game worked well for most of the season. We did what we wanted against Miami and SCar, both of whom have good defenses. That might have worked against the depleted team the coaches saw on film against MSST and the Iron Bowl, but not against a healthy and motivated Bama defense.

Yes, we should be using the TE more, but we don't have a Jordan Leggett this season to be that tight end. Our offensive staff knows how to score on Bama, but we simply don't have the receivers, the backs, or the QB to do what we did last year, especially when Tee Higgins got hurt.

Here's my grade: we lost***

Jan 5, 2018, 1:20 PM

Re: Here's my grade: we lost***

Jan 5, 2018, 3:57 PM

That's my grade big time. Coach asked the fans to show up--we did. Every game, home and even away. You can try to put a shine on it, but we could not make "anything" happen to win. We are so much a better team than what showed up.

Jan 5, 2018, 5:14 PM

I don't mean to be mean...
but, this team still needs an upgrade at OL. Things are fine against avg teams in the Acc.
But against more physical teams, not so much.

The Clemson Offensive Game Plan showed a complete

Jan 5, 2018, 5:55 PM

lack of respect for Clemson QB skill sets. And the Bama coaches and players showed a complete lack of respect for Clemson QB skill sets. T-Net can pontificate and back up Clemson QB play all they want, and still the game plans of both teams were based upon the Clemson QB not being able to stretch the field and make plays. And that's what happened. As for Clemson's O-Line, they had a rough game, and T-Net is ripping the three 1st team All-ACC players and their teammates with no consideration that DW had a O comparable line in 2016 against a better Bama Defense.

As for the Clemson Defense, they again should be thanked and congratulated on a tremendous effort especially considering the Offense was AWOL. Sh!t happens. Coaches will learn from it and make adjustments to get better in 2018. The returning Defense looks promising with an improved defensive backfield with talented freshmen and sophs getting a lot of reps late in year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Clemson Offensive Game Plan showed a complete

Jan 6, 2018, 10:06 AM

This O-line has 3 All-ACC players and 4 of the exact same guys who handled a better Bama defense just fine last season.

What was missing was the deep threat. TNet likes to blame the QB and the o-line, but we didn't have the receivers, especially after Higgins got hurt, or the blitz pickup from the backs to make it happen. Bama was able to stack the box and tee off and there's not much the o-line can do about that. Refs were letting PIs go all night, so we couldn't even hope for that.

Coaching staff did well with what they had this season, but on that night, Bama's defense was simply better than our offense. Their punting unit put them in a good position all night. It happens.

We're in good shape for next season. The future is bright.

Jan 5, 2018, 6:06 PM

Alabama is undoubtedly a great team, but, so tired of seeing the Alabama (and Auburn) defensive backs get away with murder consistently. Even in the clips cited (covering Renfrow, and pick six interception), there was clear "through the back" body interference on 32 and 39 on both plays. Can't reach over or around the receiver just to tip the ball. Add that to the no PI call on the DB covering Higgins (playing only the man, not the ball and running into Higgins) and it's atrocious. The PI's should have been called. It just emboldens the Bama DB's more when it's not called. Add to that the BS call of PI on Clemson's Mullen when he was playing the ball and batted the ball first...

Alabama's offensive line has been called only once for holding against Clemson in the last three years (once last year, I believe). I've seen more than that. Two targeting calls in the first half last year resulting in no ejections...hard to beat the other team and the refs, especially when it's an excellent team. Both sides have to play within the rules.

There is no question that Clemson could have played better in many respects and could possibly have changed the outcome.

Apparently PI and holding are OK with many refs

Jan 5, 2018, 6:13 PM

Adjust play and move on ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 11:13 PM

Have not watched the replay of the 1st int closely. Forgive me in my angst in the immediate aftermath of the play. I thought it was on ETN but upon further review it was on Anchrum.

LB wide showing a clear blitz from the outside. Anchrum does not pick him up as he should have. ETN steps up expecting this to happen and pick up the middle which was wide open as well.

SCElliott would be wise to let the back have a block pass read. If Anchrum picks up that block, ETN could have been one on one with the LB on a route after he realized he was not blitzing.

The offense needs some creativity.

At the end of the day the oline struggled mentally with blitz pickups just as much probably more than the physical aspect.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ZERO TD'S scored by the offense......absolutely terrible***

Jan 6, 2018, 7:44 AM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic