Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Saturday will be emotional for Mac Lain family
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

New Story: Saturday will be emotional for Mac Lain family

Nov 21, 2014, 7:01 AM

Saturday will be emotional for Mac Lain family

Military Appreciation Day at Clemson is a chance for Clemson fans and the football program itself to show their love to the men and women in uniform. For two Clemson football players, however, the day takes on an even more special meaning. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Saturday will be emotional for Mac Lain family

Nov 21, 2014, 7:52 AM

The Scroll of Honor is guarded by Clemson's Pershing Rifles, not the ROTC cadets. The Pershing Rifles provide the Color Guards for all athletic events, gun salutes (for events like MAD and veteran events), and 24-hr guarding of the class rings. Not many people know about this small group of dedicated students (many who are ROTC cadets) who uphold Clemson's military traditions. In fact, Sean MacLain was just inducted into PR this term.

Nov 21, 2014, 7:56 AM

I've been there when they guards. It is very interesting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2014, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Saturday will be emotional for Mac Lain family ]

I was a cadet from 1982-1986, finished with a commission into the Army Corps of Engineers. In '84 as a member of the Clemson Rangers, we split duties for Color Guard at football games with the PR's. One of the most humbling, and proudest, moments of my life was standing on the 50yd line and hearing nothing but the National Anthem. Total silence from 80-something thousand fans. The south upper deck looked taller than any mountain I'd ever seen, and everywhere I looked it seemed everyone was staring at us.
I only got to do it once. We rotated the duty around so others could experience it. I'll never forget it, and remember the feeling at every game I go to.
Today, I'll attend the tailgate at the Underground hosted by the ROTC departments and renew friendships with guys I haven't seen in years. One of our classmates, and still a close friend of mine, BG Ed Jackson will give a shout out on the big screen from A'stan. I'll be at my seat when the PRs march the colors onto the field, I'll salute the flag, but I ain't taking my sunglasses off ;)

Nov 21, 2014, 8:21 AM

Great story - our school's and football tradition is about so much more than wins and losses - but let's go win one on Saturday!!

Nov 21, 2014, 8:28 AM

That's a great story, sounds like a tight family and i have the utmost respect for them, now what I want this team to do is go out there the next two weeks and take some vengeance out on that field and show no mercy I don't care who it is seek out and destroy and everybody knows who i really want to destroy. Lineman play till the whistle blows and get a attitude on every play like its your last. I have been watching Clemson play for over 40 years and I want my Daughter to go out her senior year with a win against them coots, who she hates, its time to get some respect in this great state we live in lets kick some A$$ and take some names and play big boy football and get nasty (O-Line) show me something PLEASE!!!! cause i know what that defense is going to do. i want that Clemson SWAG back and we are in our house so PROTECT it!!!! it's time to strap it up boys. TIGER FOREVER!!!!!!

Nov 21, 2014, 8:44 AM

Sorry for the long post but just reading that story and getting hammered by that school in cootlumbia the last five years has got me pumped up.

Nov 21, 2014, 8:52 AM

This is why i am so proud to be a tiger fan! No other school that i can think of has more respect for the country & students then Clemson University. Dabo Swinney has done an amazing job with the players & their grades, making sure they graduate & make sure they make something of themselves on & off the field. I dont know why everyone in this state isnt a Tiger fan.

Nov 21, 2014, 8:54 AM

This is why i am so proud to be a tiger fan! No other school that i can think of has more respect for the country & students then Clemson University. Dabo Swinney has done an amazing job with the players & their grades, making sure they graduate & make sure they make something of themselves on & off the field. I dont know why everyone in this state isnt a Tiger fan.

Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 AM

Great story and well done SteeleHood. As an X military myself, this day at Clemson, or any day around the country that our soldiers are being appreciated, it causes me to swell with pride and busting full of emotion b/c I've been there and done that. Its a pleasure and an honor for me to show my appreciation and respect for our men and women that are willing to give their everything without our country having to ask or force them to lay it all on the line for our country and for the freedom we feel is worth dieing for to keep our families safe and free.

When I came back from Nam in 1973 it wasn't like that. The public opinion toward us guys coming back state side was night and day comparing today from back then. I've never even come close to harming or killing a child in my entire life and I wouldn't knowingly or willingly. War is just what the definition of the word was meant to be, death and destruction. And innocent civilian men, women, and children will never completely go untouched 100% of the time of a War in their homeland. But like I've said, I've never in 63 years harmed or killed a child or a civilian in the name of war or for any other reasons that I'm personally aware of. But the Vietnam war did bring the worst out of Americans towards our own coming back home from that horrific war. I've heard the distant calls, and the whispers coming from our own, baby killers while in uniform here in cootlumbia and in my home town of Sumter, and that honestly turned me cold, hard, and feelings of hate towards any of our own that I saw wearing those peace symbols, shouting make love not war. And it still affects me today watching an old movie of those times. Those love making peace symbol wearing sumbitches wasn't the ones getting shot at almost daily.

The soldiers, the fighting men that were dieing and getting blown into small pieces wasn't the ones that made that war, we were the ones asked, and at that time some were forced to die in that war. I still get pisssed, but I must be getting soft and more tolerant in my older years b/c, this post is the very first time I've ever spoke about that war in public form or any where else out side of my close personal family members, and only a very few have I ever discussed it with. War absolutely sucks, and nobody prays to go to war. But without our very brave men and women willing to lay it all on the line in the past and the future for our country, and less powerful countries we call friends. Our post on here today could have easily been written in German if not for the brave men and women that have gave their lives for our country. I personally salute everyone that has served even in the very smallest way, and God bless our United States Arm Forces!!!

For anyone that will be at the game Saturday that are disappointed and fed up like most of us with the way this season has been. Please remember that Saturday isn't a Booooing day!!! Its a FB Saturday to show appreciation and respect for the ones that has lost way more than a game, and to show appreciation and respect for the ones that are willing to lose more than a game. I'm very proud to be an American, USA, USA, USA!!! And if the Good Guys or Georgia St guys score any points, Just stand and cheer USA. Just show that you're sincere and willing to make Saturday a happy day of Peace and appreciation!!! And please, please, please don't booo Cole, Please let him finish his very small amount of time he has left at Clemson without our own causing him to feel any worse than I'm sure he already feels. Goooooo Tigerssssssss, and God bless the good ole US of A, USA USA USA!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Post!

Nov 22, 2014, 2:53 AM

Thanks for your heartfelt post!
AND
Thank you for your service!
My Dad was WWII.
'just looking again at WWII history recently,
and can't even fathom the millions that died...
'just truly in awe of that, everytime I think about it.

Thanks again, and
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2014, 8:51 PM

Thanks to all the men and women who is serving and protecting our nation. May God be with each one and protect them.

A very compelling great story. Go Tigers ... win this one for our Tigers in uniform.

Nov 21, 2014, 9:19 PM

Yeah!! Woo, hoo... Mac Lain has been a bust, we put a lot of faith in him out of High School and he hasn't lived up to the ''Hype". Happy for he and his fam, but he got a full ride to CU and did nothing on the football field... Wasted Scholly. Justin Parker please stand up... Take emotions out of it, you all know I'm right. Top Flight TE coming out of high school - Now he's a 3rd string O lineman. Do the Math, waste for our Program

I had the opportunity to meet

Nov 21, 2014, 10:12 PM

The Mac Clain's the day of the 2010 Spring game, inside Dabo's office. Isaiah Crowell walked out of Dabo's offices right before we walked in. We stayed about 10-15 minutes. Even thought I really wanted to stay and hang out in there. Dabo had better things to do. But you'd never have known. Such a humble man! I was rushing to get out of there so they could meet with the HC. His dad knew I had just (less than 2 weeks) returned from Afghanistan. I knew who Eric was without looking at his name tag. I knew he was a top 10 TE as well. I whispered to his dad that I was trying to get my family and my best friend's family out so they could get in. He looked at me and I will never forget the words. He said "if my son meeting with the coach is more important to him (Dabo) than meeting with you guys, he doesn't need to come here". He committed a week or so later. Great experience and much respect to Eric and his family!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic