Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Risky Business: Should Deshaun Watson play against Wake Forest?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

New Story: Risky Business: Should Deshaun Watson play against Wake Forest?

Nov 5, 2014, 7:01 AM

Risky Business: Should Deshaun Watson play against Wake Forest?

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney jokingly told the media Tuesday that the Tigers’ pre-game warmups at Wake Forest Thursday night will be heavily scrutinized because freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson will be dressed out and could play if needed. With that in mind, TigerNet's staff lists their reasons of why Watson should - or shouldn't - suit up against the Demon Deacons. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he's healthy why shouldn't he play?

Nov 5, 2014, 7:13 AM

Nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he's healthy why shouldn't he play?

Nov 5, 2014, 7:31 AM

Always thought you play who gives you the best chance of winning. I liked the line, "you can't coach being scared".

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was healthy when he broke his bones the 3 other times***

Nov 5, 2014, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: If he's healthy why shouldn't he play? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your football career can come to an end on any play

Nov 5, 2014, 10:40 AM

Should we bench all of our starters for the rest of the season?

Re: Your football career can come to an end on any play

Nov 5, 2014, 11:10 AM

We should only play our first string players in games we might lose.

It's very simple - IN THEORY!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Your football career can come to an end on any play

Nov 5, 2014, 1:30 PM

Try to get a top recruiting class with that philosophy. Let the best players play.

Watson is a special great talent we need to win most games

Nov 5, 2014, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Your football career can come to an end on any play ]

buthe is much more fragile than the rest. He needs to bulk up and we should not use him UNLESS WE NEED HIM TO WIN AND THAT COULD BE AS EARLY AS THE 4TH QUARTER OF WF GAME - HOPE NOT THOUGH!

Re: Watson is a special great talent we need to win most games

Nov 5, 2014, 4:57 PM

Bulking up won't really help a finger getting stuck in a facemask. Freak injury. He will be fine. Don't want to lose speed and elusiveness.

Not sure how adding bulk...

Nov 6, 2014, 7:09 AM [ in reply to Watson is a special great talent we need to win most games ]

makes it less likely to break a finger. Injuries happen to 320 lb offensive linemen too. They are part of the game. I do agree that Watson's running style (he looks like a deer) makes me cringe a little. He reminds me of RG3, who we all know is injury prone, and I don't think that's going to change with adding bulk. I think we just have to let him do what he does and hope he doesn't get hurt.

Re: How does he continue playing?

Nov 5, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to He was healthy when he broke his bones the 3 other times*** ]

Maybe he enjoys playing.

More than likely the staff will err on the side of caution

Nov 5, 2014, 7:24 AM

to allow DW an extra week for healing.

I think we may see him if we're in a tight game or if the game is well in hand, but then only for limited action for a warm up before GT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep...***

Nov 5, 2014, 1:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Risky Business: Should Deshaun Watson play against Wake Forest?

Nov 5, 2014, 7:27 AM

I'm with Hood on this one. We should not need him for the W.

Good morning! The real question for TNetters should be:

Nov 5, 2014, 7:35 AM

Which Hood?

Thinking maybe the "better half" of our dynamic duo may need to clarify herself...as in Nikki Steele-Hood...lest we begin to think of them as some kind of pair or something! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Play him. Also, doubt their O crosses the 50***

Nov 5, 2014, 7:41 AM

Play him. Also, doubt their O crosses the 50***

It's a well known fact now that Stoudt is not 100%. From what I've seen Stoudt is only one good hit from having to leave the game. Then, and only then, would I play Watson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if hes been cleared, he should play.

Nov 5, 2014, 7:44 AM

If all that is true about our run game then it would take pressure off Watson all so. And WF has a good pass defense. Watson is less likely to throw a pick. Stout throws them like candy at a parade. The last thing we need is turn-overs on the wrong end of the field. We can't take our defense out of the equation. Pick-6es will beat anyone. Just feels like dabo is over-looking the possibility that wake could beat us. They can. And turn-overs will aid them in this. Our defense can shut them down on offense. But can't stop their defence from scoring. Stout hasn't scored over 2 .TD's since taking over. Watson doubled that total in one game. Where's the logic? We're not playing furman. Wake is capable.

It all comes down to 3 things:

Nov 5, 2014, 7:45 AM

1- can he hurt his hand any worse?
2- can he perform
3- does is hurt

If we get past these questions... Why would you not play him?

I see people saying two main things:
1- "save him" for GT
2- "let it heal more."

If both of those thoughts are accounted for, why else would you not play him?

if he's pain free and medically cleared then why not?......

Nov 5, 2014, 7:48 AM

at least a few series.

can't be afraid of injuring it...........if that's the case then sit him until South Carolina since that's the most important game.

For me, it boils down to this....

Nov 5, 2014, 7:57 AM

Dabo specifically said that Watson was still Clemson's best option at QB (which is 100% correct) and when he's healthy and cleared to play, he would return to the starting position.

That said, if he is healthy, has been cleared by the medical personnel to play, then why wouldn't he play?

Had Watson never sustained the injury, would the concensus be to start and play Stoudt against Wake simply because we really didn't need Watson to win this game? I doubt it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

my guess is that it is at the front end of his

Nov 5, 2014, 8:29 AM

supposed "clearing date." Meaning technically he's ready but everybody's different and maybe his bones could use that extra week to get fully healed. B/c I promise you this, if he goes into that game and falls awkwardly or follows through on a pass and hits a helmet and that bone breaks again... then this board and the Clemson fan base will explode with accusations.4 to 6 weeks for bones to heal. 4 being technically healed 6 being fully healed. it technically hasn't even been 4 weeks.

I say sit him unless you have to bring him in and play him agains GT.

Based on what I've read and heard....

Nov 5, 2014, 8:45 AM

it is highly unlikely that he could reinjure the finger on his throwing hand which effectvely eliminates the argument of bringing him back too soon.

If that is, in fact, the case, are people concerned that if he plays against Wake he may sustain some other type of injury?

That's always a risk regardless of the game or the opponent. Although Dabo says he is pain free, I'm sure that if he follows through on a pass and hits his hand/finger on a helmet, it would probably hurt like a &%^$%$@.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

i hear ya

Nov 5, 2014, 11:38 AM

but the Patriots rushed back Gronk after his broken forearm and its taken him two years to recover from re-breaking the same bone the next game he came back because he played at the soonest possible instant that he was cleared. This is DW's throwing hand and we really wont need him against Wake..hopefully. Which is why it might be a better idea to only play him if we're in dire need. But starting him in a BS game just because he's technically "cleared" is a dumb risk to take.

We have to have him for GT and USCjr... not WAKE.

Re: Based on what I've read and heard....

Nov 5, 2014, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Based on what I've read and heard.... ]

Well, not that I don't agree, but he did hurt it, even though it was unlikely, in the first place. It certainly could get hurt again. I am for letting it heal a little more, myself, but if he's healed, I also am okay with him getting some snaps to take the cobwebs off his game.

No Rust.... No Cobwebs

Nov 5, 2014, 4:06 PM

According to this morning's edition of the Charleston Newspaper, THE POST AND COURIER,

Dabo said that Watson has looked tremendous in practice lately.

We already know that the kid has a Great confidence and calmness about him that can't be taught. So if he has had a tremendous couple of weeks in practice cut him loose.

Could it be the coaches are nervous about their star QB getting injured? Nothing else makes sense...

But really my sole point is this Guy doesn't have to acclimate to the game environment like most quarterbacks.....

With that said I will take your thoughts

Re: No Rust.... No Cobwebs

Nov 6, 2014, 4:01 PM

Let him get a few reps at game speed...

I would like to see him get a few real time reps if cleared

Nov 5, 2014, 7:57 AM

In a different life I an athletic trainer this is not that big of an injury. I imagine DW is chomping at the bit to get in and the real challenge is holding him back...

If the Docs have cleared him then he needs to get some reps in. He needs to get his timming down rather than starting cold against GT

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

wait, tech is a night game?***

Nov 5, 2014, 8:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

?

Nov 5, 2014, 8:06 AM

"Is the risk of another injury too great for Watson to play Friday?"

From what I've read this isn't something that's likely

Nov 5, 2014, 8:13 AM

to get re-injured, and there's not really any risk of "bringing him back too soon." Are people scared that if we play him against Wake he's going to break or tear something else?

Personally, if he can go i would like to see him get a little bit of work.

This is the third bone in last year he has broken

Nov 5, 2014, 10:31 AM

He needs to bulk up - I hope Cole turns it around and Chad uses him in ball control offense so we don't have to use Watson much (except if we are losing) for rest of year!

Re: This is the third bone in last year he has broken

Nov 5, 2014, 10:39 AM

So we should hold him out till next season and only play him in games we need him to win?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

He needs to bulk up and yes, lets play this very talented

Nov 5, 2014, 11:15 AM

qb only when we need him to win for rest of year - and that might be as early as 4th quarter of WF game - HOPE NOT - GO COLE!

Nov 5, 2014, 8:14 AM

I would like to see him get some action.

Let's not forget that Watson, prior to getting injured, was definitely rattled by the Louisville defense. He is still just a freshman and we shouldn't crown him as the offensive savior just yet- yes, he offers way more offensively than Cole does, but he still has a learning curve to go through.

Getting him some snaps at Wake Forest would serve him and the offense well in getting back on track for the final third of the season.

He is the present and the future, and if he's healthy, let him roll!

Nov 5, 2014, 8:29 AM

I say play him in limited snaps to get his legs and game speed back up to par. Don't call any QB runs with him and just let him get some game speed maybe in 4th quarter if game is out of reach.

Nov 5, 2014, 8:43 AM

DW gives us the best opportunity for a win, period! If he's healthy, let the man play. I mean we didnt sit him out of the SC state game (even if he wasn't the "starter") for the fear of him getting hurt. We can't worry about the man getting hurt. It could happen in practice. Do you never practice the man? Bottom line is, we need him each and EVERY game. We can't worry about the man getting hurt, cause it may never happen, or happen going to class. LET THE MAN PLAY!!!

If he is 100% healthy than yes. If not then no.

Nov 5, 2014, 8:54 AM

Hopefully we will have a very commanding lead and he can get a series or two of live snaps. Even if it's just handing the ball off. I think we will need every bit of him against Ga Tech.

Am I alone in hoping Reid Webster starts?

Nov 5, 2014, 9:50 AM

Him and Tyrone crowder really impressed me against the floppers. Webster got the snaps down and blocked well the entire game and while Norton was hurt since the early stages of the game causing him to not have his best game, you have to wonder of we have a better chance with Webster in as he seems to block as well as anyone and the snaps were the best ive seen all year.

Nov 5, 2014, 9:54 AM

I think that U hit that nail square with the comment " you can't coach scared ". Dabo said that DW is the starting QB, and if it's true, and he is cleared, start him at Wake. Injuries could happen anywhere and at anytime. He could walk into a door in his sleep and break a facial bone. He should get playing time to get timing down as well as work with Dye coming back.

Pain free and medical cleared....Watson Should PLAY....

Nov 5, 2014, 10:14 AM

Go Tigers..............

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Nov 5, 2014, 10:28 AM

I definitely don't think we're good enough to sit around pondering whether we should sit a player. If he's healthy, let him play. How many times have we needed someone like him on a trip to Wake Forest as healthy favorites? Remember Gaines Adams return to spark the comeback?.. we had Spiller then too.

When we were undefeated and dominating teams, then we can discuss sitting a healthy player.

Nov 5, 2014, 10:42 AM

If healthy, I think he should at the very least play a couple of drives. To me, it doesn't matter if those couple of drives come early or late in the game. I would hate for his first live action back to come at Georgia Tech where for whatever reason we've not won since 2003. If he can get even a small amount of playing time against Wake just to knock off a little rust I think that would benefit us greatly against Tech.

David, already having a marital dispute?***

Nov 5, 2014, 11:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

We will dominate WF

Nov 5, 2014, 11:58 AM

From start to finish we should dominate WF, period, end of story. I hope Watson gets to play a little, but not because we need him. He should get in to get the feel of the game back and to put any lingering doubts he may have to rest. JMO, but I will enjoy watching us wear WF out on Thursday.

We are in the same situation that Dallas is in

Nov 5, 2014, 12:53 PM

Both QBs could play but isn't at 100% and both are playing against one of the worst teams in there league. I can see both sides of the argument but imo I don't want Watson to play unless we absolutely need him to. Obviously Watson gives us the better chance at winning but we're are playing wake forest. We're not playing FSU or Georgia. We should be able to win this game without Watson. I have enough confidence that Stoudt and our defense can get the job done. We just have to establish a successful run game so we won't put so much pressure on Stoudt. It won't look good if we have to have a true freshman come in and try to win the game forus. I hate to say it but it would be nice to have Kelly back.

If Watson is wearing a contraption on his hand...

Nov 5, 2014, 1:14 PM

Is he really "healthy"? Dabo sometimes likes to spin things to the positive. It seems like if he was perfectly healthy then he would be starting.

If medically cleared, play him one series in each half if

Nov 5, 2014, 1:48 PM

NOT needed. He needs some success before going to Atlanta. Of course, if needed at WF, bench Cole and give #4 the ball......period!

Nov 5, 2014, 3:07 PM

Practice is not the same speed as real time game situations. Just for that fact he should get in for at least a few series so he can get his feet wet again and be ready for the yellow jackets next week. Now, if stoudt can't manage this game against wake forest and stinks up the place then by all means let him play a lot more! Other then that scenario just a few live action series will be just what the doctor ordered.

Well everyone predicted we would run all over Syracuse

Nov 5, 2014, 7:27 PM

but by the end of the first quarter they were calling for our third string quarterback transfer from Stanford. The last three games were nail biters and we were fortunate to win against Louisville and BC so I hope we actually do pound Wake with Stoudt in the backfield but I'm not getting my hopes up and I would like to see Watson get some reps in against Wake just to get back into the grove before playing against GT.

This game is just too fast for Stoudt to be an effective QB. He doesn't read the defense and he has his mind made up where he is going to throw the ball before the snap.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic