Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 125
| visibility 151

New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"

Nov 7, 2014, 8:41 PM

NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"

At the request of the Atlantic Coast Conference, the National Coordinator of Officials has reviewed the targeting play that occurred in the second half of the Clemson at Wake Forest game on Thursday night. In addition, the ACC’s Coordinator of Officials has commented on his remarks during the game’s broadcast. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"

Nov 7, 2014, 8:43 PM

What a pile of CYA garbage.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"

Nov 7, 2014, 10:25 PM

This reminds me of Eric Holder covering for B.H.O.

This is the same group that never questioned UNC no show

Nov 7, 2014, 10:38 PM

classes. This is same group that committed such egregious errors
in the University of Miami investigation that they could not
charge Miami due to their errors. It is criminal and should be
treated as a criminal investigation, but it will not because you have
a bunch of mob like characters in charge of the NCAA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would verdict be same if ND, AL, OSU, UGA was recipient?

Nov 8, 2014, 7:27 AM

Just sayin'.

Nov 7, 2014, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

NOOOOOO, that was I've had my A$S reamed out over putting my 2 cents into what I really believed to be a bad call, but "they" write my pay check, what do you want from me? The truth, You must be crazy as H&ll!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In terms of pay......

Nov 8, 2014, 8:28 AM

That's the problem. These guys are part time semi professional refs. Isn't time we get real referees in college football? Isn't college football "big" enough to have professional referees? I personally know an SEC ref and he tells me that yea, we stick together on calls whether we agree or not, he throws flags just because his buddy across the field threw one. This game was the worst called game if I have seen in a while on both sides. Clemson's first down spot was a good yard and a half off. The pass interference calls, rediculous. I think these guys just have not seen corners covering that good before.

Is it really covering your rump when everyone knows you're

Nov 7, 2014, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

full of it? Just digging deeper.

Of course, this is the same NCAA that makes up the rules as they go (Penn State) and breaks the law during investigations (Miami).

Sleaze balls, the whole lot.

Nov 8, 2014, 7:31 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

I couldn't agree with you more. I would have had more respect for these yahoos had they just hid under a rock and said nothing. This is CYA at its finest. Heck, I even say it is CYFA!

Ridiculous. The ejection should have been overruled.

Nov 9, 2014, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

I'm guessing that at the Spring NCAA meetings, the ACC will propose that there be second "review official" to review the call of the initial "review" official...yea...that will fix it!...wonder if they also will give him a teaser, sorry, buzzer to contact the initial reviewer.

Re: New Sltory: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"

Nov 7, 2014, 8:44 PM

This is BS. Why would the ACC send it to the NCAA if they felt they made the right call?

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Re: New Sltory: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"

Nov 7, 2014, 10:22 PM

Amen, brother! Amen! Never heard of such before! They screwed the pooch on this one. All of this from the second quarter on was in reaction to Dabo's rant over a call earlier in the game. Sure, Dabo lost it but geez this was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen and Clemson plays in the ACC. That's saying something. I used to think it was paranoia but this game was purposely set up for a Tobacco Road upset.

Doug Rhoads is a coward.

Nov 7, 2014, 8:45 PM

Nm

Translation: "The refs replay ref blew it but we will cover

Nov 7, 2014, 8:49 PM

for him". I guess they did not get the replay they showed on TV because that one obviously showed no contact to the head or neck. No wonder officials suck so bad when nobody in charge will call them on it

very few men in this world anymore, just a bunch of pansies***

Nov 7, 2014, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Doug Rhoads is a coward. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Doug Rhoads is a coward.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Doug Rhoads is a coward. ]

Exactly. Stand by your honest opinion which you stated last night after watching the replay.

Doug Rhoads Translation:

Nov 8, 2014, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Doug Rhoads is a coward. ]

" I saw the play from more angles that the replay official and had to agree with the official that talked to the Clemson player. I screwed up and told the truth on national TV. I apologize to the ACC for my poor behavior. It will not happen again. I would also like to thank the NCAA for covering our butts. I know it wasn't your job, so we owe you one. PS: Jameis is a good boy. Please lay off him."

We have found Saddam Hussien's third son

Nov 8, 2014, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Doug Rhoads is a coward. ]

There was Uday and Cusay. Meet Pusay.

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Nov 8, 2014, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Doug Rhoads is a coward. ]

-Tesla

Nov 8, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Doug Rhoads is a coward. ]

-Tesla

-Tesla

-Tesla

-Tesla

Nov 7, 2014, 8:46 PM

The further wussification of this sport is just awful. If you don't want to get hit, get some pom poms and a skirt. It's a contact sport for God's sake. No other way to make a play on that than what he did. Had he gone low flipped the guy and broke his neck, would he have still been flagged? It's got to stop somewhere.

That BS might fly with me IF I WAS BLIND AND STUPID!!!***

Nov 7, 2014, 8:47 PM

Nov 7, 2014, 8:47 PM

We saw the same evidence that he did. Seems to me he doesn't want to admit his boys #### the bed on that one.

Nov 7, 2014, 10:30 PM

There are no other video feeds. The booth guys see what we see. They are dependent on the broadcasting network for what they see. There are no special NCAA cameras or ACC cameras at each game that show different video from what we see on TV. And why would a broadcast network not show us what they have video on. This is utter bullcrap. I have long thought that there was a Tobacco Road bias to basketball officiating in the ACC, but it extends to football.

Nov 7, 2014, 8:48 PM

Doug Rhodes is a big wuss. He saw the same replays we saw. Now he is mistaken? Have they ever admitted to being mistaken? Obeying his higher ups to shush

Nov 8, 2014, 8:42 PM

This just a typical cover-up by the ACC.....INCOMPETENT OR CORRUPT OFFICIATING.

Nov 7, 2014, 8:50 PM

1. This hit in the SEC doesn't even draw a flag. I've watched plenty of the Mississippi teams and Alabama and LSU

Nov 7, 2014, 8:53 PM

It must fly in the mighty SEC We got the same call vs lus

Nov 7, 2014, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

Play and those teams hit hard and up around the head and neck constantly.

2. It's pretty pathetic from a conference that you have a school like UNC running totally out of control with no punishment but they can't appeal an ejection.

3. Of course they are gonna get a bunch of people to say it was the right call because with an appeals process they look like idiots punishing a player who made a great play.

Nov 7, 2014, 8:51 PM

They are just hurting their own credibility and making themselves look bad. That hit, shoulder to chest , was legal but since it was a hard hit and everyone is scared of the PC police, they are going to go the coward route.

If anything, I think GTech will pay the price as we will have one very fired up defense regarding this call and Rsmith will be game on in the 2nd half.

I heard Swofford wants to add an extra quarter suspension***

Nov 7, 2014, 8:52 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is precedent for the ACC to do so.***

Nov 7, 2014, 8:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Two words: Bovine Excrement

Nov 7, 2014, 8:52 PM

Show me the contact to the head and neck and I'll back off.

Until then ... Free Robert Smith!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Smith should a sent that TE a dozen roses and asked him not

Nov 7, 2014, 8:56 PM

to catch the ball, anything else is just barbaric.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That lying, incompetent sack of #### can suck a donkey dong.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:06 PM

What an insult to all fans who saw it to think we would be so gullible. We saw it. We understand the rule and we understand there was no infraction, and we know the replay shows it beyond any doubt whatsoever. It wasn't really even close. Go pound sand in you ### you piece of waste.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

BS Rhodes! ESPN says the refs see same camera-views as us!

Nov 7, 2014, 9:09 PM

Too bad Rhodes didn't have the balls to just say that he disagreed with the replay refs.

Re: BS Rhodes! ESPN says the refs see same camera-views as us!

Nov 7, 2014, 10:33 PM

Thats why having the "supervisor of officials" on these broadcasts is just bullcrap dog and pony stuff.

I always thought it was risky to have Rhodes in the booth.

Nov 8, 2014, 1:15 PM

I always thought it was risky to put him in the booth because he might be honest during the broadcast but then politically have to cover the replay-refs' butts afterwards, if they come to a different conclusion. I wouldn't be surprised if either Rhodes doesn't appear in the booth anymore or (more likely) he doesn't give an opinion on the call anymore-- simply explaining the rule itself and what the replay refs might be looking at.

Lot of hypertechnical language in that response ......

Nov 7, 2014, 9:12 PM

crock , though....total crock

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would love to see the angle that supposedly shows the head

Nov 7, 2014, 9:12 PM

contact because I still haven't seen it. NCAA and ACC circled the wagons which is par for the course. The NCAA is fast slipping into irrelevance vis a vis the Power 5 and will happily do whatever a conference tells them to do.

That why Robert Smith gets ejected and why UNC won't be sanctioned. Utter BS.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:15 PM

Head ref guy (white hat)is from Lugoff, SC - Mr. Patterson - State Farm Agent

His team needs additional training :(

Not sure which guy threw the flag; however, they work as a team.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:20 PM

Oh, Ron Cherry would have said, "Giving him da'business," but he would not have called targeting.

Nov 8, 2014, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

I believe that Mr. Gary Patterson is the son of James V. Patterson

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.robinsonfuneralhomes.com%2Fmemsol.cgi%3Fuser_id%3D881686&ei=rBxeVK7yE9LesATl7YHQAg&usg=AFQjCNFWEuMmBVuT2kMxehE2JbH8H3SyYQ&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cWc

, a graduate of Clemson in 1951 and supporter of IPTAY until his death. Gary

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmbd.scout.com%2Fmb.aspx%3Fs%3D78%26f%3D1408%26t%3D13296843&ei=rBxeVK7yE9LesATl7YHQAg&usg=AFQjCNEeXcqGS1v3ZCqTwTD8kiBNc-N-5g&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cWc

is also a member of IPTAY, as is his brother, Lewis,

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.statefarm.com%2Fagent%2FUS%2FSC%2FClemson%2FLewis-Patterson-88GMV1YS000&ei=hB5eVLfdK5bGsQTm-ICgBQ&usg=AFQjCNHP0hn1EwRlDAQzuhrcqV9StRkrTg&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cWc

who runs an insurance company in Clemson. His sister, Paula is also a graduate and strong supporter of Clemson Athletics.

There is no anti-Clemson bias here, only a honest man who grew up in a great family.

-- from personal knowledge

Nov 8, 2014, 9:09 AM

We're missing the bigger point. What the funk has to be done to get Swofford out?

Nov 7, 2014, 9:21 PM

Nice try mr official. But the initial contact was in the chest.... After the d*** hit since he hit him so hard his face mask hit his helmet bc he knocked him out of his shoes..... That was not intentional dummy.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:25 PM

Apparently, ACC refs are a bunch of spineless f$%*s. Case closed. #Fail

CYA

Nov 7, 2014, 9:25 PM

Nm

Tiger/Terrier

Nov 7, 2014, 9:27 PM

They completely blew most calls the whole game. I watched the game today. I was working last night and kept up with it on game tracker. After seeing it today I wonder how the referees have their jobs. This is the poorest officiating I've seen. No wonder Dabo was furious. You call everything on one team even false crap then let wake tackle receivers while the ball is in the air.

Nov 7, 2014, 10:08 PM

Yes. The pass interference calls against us were awful,too. And the "no calls" against Wake on pass coverage we're just as bad.

birds of a feather, they suck at their job***

Nov 7, 2014, 9:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

So let me get this right

Nov 7, 2014, 9:39 PM

The NCAA head of officials, that graduated from GT thinks the call is correct?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: So let me get this right

Nov 7, 2014, 9:47 PM

It has always bothered me that refs have ZERO accountability. This is a prime example. Not only do they suck, they stand behind one another no matter what. Announcers even get reprimanded for questioning officiating. This can't be left alone. I wish someone like ESPN would run with it. As far as Swofford goes, I would like to punch him in the cerebellum.

Re: So let me get this right

Nov 7, 2014, 9:56 PM

Then you would be flagged for targeting, and miss the first half of the GT game. Is Jack ###, I mean, John Swofford really worth that? Okay, I'll be second in line to target that large empty melon!

Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct"***

Nov 7, 2014, 9:41 PM

Nov 7, 2014, 9:41 PM

Don't like it, but it's the hand that's been dealt. We need to get ready for GT. That's going to be a tough one.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:45 PM

Seriously this is nearly as bad as the bounce pass against UNC and the Ficticious Catch against the Twerps in 85. I have seen a lot of screw jobs over the years (mostly in hoops) but this is bold. The director of officials sees all the replays live last night and clearly expresses the call should be reversed on National TV. Today after no doubt receiving formal complaints from Clemson the wagons are circled and we get this BS statement. Don't these jack legs know the live TV audience SAW and heard what happened???? Enough is enough A-HOLES!!!!

Nov 7, 2014, 9:48 PM

Opinions are just that. Smith launched because the receiver was in he air. It was a hard hit, but it was a fair hit in the opinion of many others- including other officials on the field.
He did not lead with his helmet. This is division 1 football - not powderpuff. It was a rough night of bad calls for the officials.

Nov 7, 2014, 9:48 PM

Opinions are just that. Smith launched because the receiver was in he air. It was a hard hit, but it was a fair hit in the opinion of many others- including other officials on the field.
He did not lead with his helmet. This is division 1 football - not powderpuff. It was a rough night of bad calls for the officials.

New Policy For Dougie

Nov 7, 2014, 9:49 PM

Bet the yellow belly will not make anymore decisive statements prior to the booth ruling in the future on ESPN! We will get a lot of double talk waiting on the review from Dougie from now on.

Well that's a load of crap.***

Nov 7, 2014, 9:53 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess that we're going to have to start coaching our

Nov 7, 2014, 10:01 PM

players to take them out at the knees. More injuries, but less ejections.

Rogers Redding is a GT grad

Nov 7, 2014, 10:05 PM

This explains just about everything!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OMG- and this guy doesn't recuse himself-- what a total

Nov 7, 2014, 11:46 PM

scam

if that was a correct call, the rule should change, or

Nov 7, 2014, 10:12 PM

Football will degrade into a pansy sport no one cares about. If you take away the hits, it loses its luster quickly.

I must be going blind

Nov 7, 2014, 10:17 PM

Robert hit him in the chest with his shoulder. What's he supposed to do? Stand there and let the TE take him out while completing the catch? What a freaking joke.

Keep your head up, Robert, and keep playing hard. You did nothing wrong.

That's the state of affairs of football these days

Nov 7, 2014, 10:25 PM

You're no longer allowed to go for those big hits.

The same thing happened for us with DJ Smith against Kentucky. What was a great hit 10 heads ago is now dangerous.

Maybe it's for the best with all the concussion problems today. But I hate to see the physicality removed from the sport.

How long was Serigne out of the game after the hit?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nov 7, 2014, 10:23 PM

Rhodes was right and now ACC forced him to retract. No head contact. Where did those officials come from. The elete SEC? Lol

Nov 7, 2014, 10:38 PM

I've watched the video. There is no question that there was NO targeting of the head and/or neck area. How can those guys say otherwise? The viewers and thousands more have seen the video. Credibility and respect for the officiating bodies falls with this kind of action.

Nov 7, 2014, 10:46 PM

When lacking the intellectual capacity to formulate an objective opinion, it is always nice to fall back on "what he said." One has to question how someone faced with indelible proof of error, yet unable to recognize it, can be an "official" of anything.

Would like to see a hit to the chest that looks different and is legal.

Nov 7, 2014, 10:42 PM

They might as well not allow hits above the waist

Re: NOTICE the picture posted- they have him posed after

Nov 7, 2014, 10:56 PM

Notice the picture posted with the article. They show him with
his head down, like he was using his head first. That's BS!!!
That's 3/4 of the way through the play..ball almost to ground.
Trying to make the pic fit their argument.

When I see this song and dance, I start asking:
1. Who's being paid off? OR
2. Who has money on the game, and is trying to affect the outcome?
As bad is this is, it's one of these two items.
Especially, prior to the game, I heard some report saying
Clemson wouldn't make the point spread...I thought when I heard
that...that sounds fishy.

GO TIGERS!!! (Beat the other team and the refs!)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Analysis of the picture posted

Nov 8, 2014, 9:09 AM

Actually, when looking at the photo I see:

Robert's shoulder is in the TE's chest area.

His head is outside of TE's body space.

Robert's head is below the TE's head (which makes it impossible for Robert (5-11) to target the TE's (6-3) head)

Robert's head and body would be over the TE's head if he had been targeting his head.ating

Poor officiating.

Even worst attempt at cover up.

Nov 8, 2017, 9:10 PM

Did anybody besides me think that Dabo was about to be ejected also. I thought he was screaming on a very fine line....

Nov 7, 2014, 11:00 PM

Yeah, especially when he kept on about it.
You can't blame him, though.
I was doing the same thing. :)
GO TIGERS!!!

If you look at this video .....

Nov 7, 2014, 10:58 PM

go to the 2:45 mark and hit play, pause, play pause...

Anytime I have seen anyone get hit in the neck/head area, their head flops backwards. When I have seen people get hit in the chest, the entire upper body and the neck/head all take on the same direction at the same time. It is a clear hit in the chest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY2aCOe0k60

Re: If you look at this video .....Hard, but LEGAL!

Nov 7, 2014, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the post!
GO TIGERS!!!

Rules are now vague even among those trained to know

Nov 7, 2014, 11:18 PM

what's legal and not. Great hit, well timed, and to the chest not head. If this is how they are to play from now on, take off the helmet and pads and put flags on their hips. Call it "flag" football and nobody gets hurt. If that happens do we even needs refs?

Wearing Flags

Nov 9, 2014, 7:28 PM

Good call as that is what Dabo said in his news conference. Wonder if he read this?

That is an absolute insult to our intelligence. No wonder

Nov 7, 2014, 11:29 PM

UNC has skated for so long. The act of lying in this country has become completely acceptable. And integrity has just been thrown out the window. For the ACC head of officials to do a complete about face is unacceptable. When the ACC officials make any official statement, you can take it with a grain of salt.

Re: That is an absolute insult to our intelligence. No wonder

Nov 7, 2014, 11:48 PM

Sniff Sniff... What is hat smell? OH Yeah ITS HORSE CRAP!!!!! Crappy call...

Back peddling ahole

Nov 7, 2014, 11:42 PM

BULL$HIT...BULL$HIT...BULL$HIT...BULL$HIT...

Nov 7, 2014, 11:44 PM

BULL$HIT...

Venables needs to teach a new tackling technique...

Oct 8, 2017, 9:00 PM

any eligible receiver coming across the middle should be hit with a pillow...if the pillow breaks and feathers fly everywhere, though...it's a penalty. Receivers should be gently nudged....with a pillow!

Nov 8, 2014, 12:41 AM

Where is Ron Cherry?!?!?! We need Ron Cherry!!!!

Coot Ref is all I can say

Nov 8, 2014, 12:52 AM

That wasn't a personal foul. That was an abrupt change in momentum. Did not even hit the helmet.

The title of this rule (Targeting) represents the sum total intelligence of typical jock football IQ.

What the heck is a guy supposed to do if he can't set his sights on making the hit on another guy? Call it something else. Not Targeting. Use the term Targeting to throw a flag on a hunter out shooting deer who happened to be caught looking though the scope. Shame on them targeting that deer! Foul! Not fair! You targeted that deer. Get out of the deer stand and you are suspended from hunting tomorrow morning.

Nov 8, 2014, 2:14 AM

It was a hard clean hit blind #######! Maybe they should start targeting the refs might knock some sense into these idiots but I doubt it

Nov 8, 2014, 4:34 AM

They are trying to protect players who are sitting ducks/in defenseless positions from being targeted for execution. Though the rule seems a bit vague atm, if it makes it safer for defenseless players then im all for it. The Tiger defender did launch himself into the upper body/head area of a defensless receiver without making a play on the ball or trying to make a tackle. He basically delivered an execution style hit on a defenseless player who had no clue what was coming, not a true football play, which would be a tackle or a play on the ball. Limiting defenders from freebie cheap shots could go a long way towards making the game safer imo. Im sure alot of defensive coaches are ok with this type of hit, or possibly even teach it, but that doesnt make it right. The key here is the offensive player was in a defensless/vulnerable position, and he didnt even have possesion of the ball. This wasnt even kill the man with the ball, cuz he never even had the dang ball...too extreme imo in an already extremely physical game. Im suprised there arent more concussions/brain damage out there, though u are starting to hear more about it...perhaps it was never rlly talked about in the past because it would be frowned upon to do so. Football is a great game, and highly physical as it is...imo theres no place for launching yourself into a defensless player, instead make a play on the ball or make a tackle imo. Part of improving the rule could be clarifying exactly what constitutes a defenseless player, though its pretty easy to see. Seems pretty simple to me, make a tackle or make a play on the ball when going up against a defensless player. The defender should have the same rights as the offensive player once the ball is in the air, if thats not the case, it should be...ie the defender should be able to run through the offensive player as long as they are legitimately going for the ball.

^^^wears dresses and never played a down of FB in his life***

Nov 8, 2014, 4:46 AM

both players were going full speed

Nov 8, 2014, 5:17 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

Smith read the play and went at him like he should of went after him, with his head up and hitting with his shoulder. It would of been very hard for Smith to adjust and hit him anywhere else than where he did. If u ever played football, you would know that's its hard to adjust when going full speed. I see nothing wrong with Smith's hit

Nov 8, 2014, 4:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it this NCAA

Nov 8, 2014, 4:44 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24788147/no-bluffing----ncaa-has-lost-all-credibility-with-penn-state-usc-more

Really? Talk about corrupt!

He led with his shoulder and hit him in his

Nov 8, 2014, 5:11 AM

Upper chest! With the position Smith and at the speed both players were going, it would be nearly impossible for Smith to hit him anywhere else. Such a bs call and I feel like Dabo told Smith to not do anything different. Good form tackle imo

Nov 8, 2014, 5:31 AM

I'm not sure which is the most aggregious, the replay booth not over turning the call or Rhoads flip flop. I'll give the call on the field a pass since it was a bang-bang play and we do need to err on the side of protecting players.

It was clear that Smith hit his opponent in the chest with his shoulder. If his intent was to target he would never have turned his shoulder but led with his helmet. Whatever mystery angle the ACC is leaning on needs released. But seeing how The UNC scandal is being soft gloved I'll not hold my breath waiting on this conference to show any credibility.

Rhoads comments watching the replay were right then and he knows it. It's a shame to see a man whose profession is suppose to represent fairness and good judgement capitulate so horribly afterwards. He should man up but apparently the panties he and the ACC are wearing are on to tight. I'd also like to hear from Clemson's AD on this but my gut feeling is that he's part of the Cowardly Dogs posse of pen heads too. Maybe I'm venting a little much but this more than a football issue. This is about character, integrity and credibility which every institution in America lacks right now. My old football coach use to say we FB players are the last American Cowboys. So do everything you do like a man. Do it right and stand even you're the only one left standing. Sorry to see Rhoads and the institutions he represents be so "unmanly".

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2014, 6:24 AM

Rogers Redding you have now proven that you need to be replaced! Doug Rhoads you need to grow some balls and stand by the things you say....especially when you know you are correct but pressured to change your mind!

C-Y-A

Nov 8, 2014, 6:26 AM

We do not have to like it, we just have to live with it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doug Rhodes needs to be btchslapped***

Nov 8, 2014, 6:47 AM

BS, CYA, SOP

Nov 8, 2014, 6:54 AM

No more need be said.

Dear Mr. Rhodes, don't be a gutless wonder and make this

Nov 8, 2014, 6:59 AM

a "teachable moment," literally. Join the Gameday crew this morning and breakdown this play using whatever camera angle you want and explain to us how this was an illegal hit. Then for clarity, show the replay angles we all saw in the telecast and tell us what it is that we, including you at the time, are missing.

oh, one other thing - after giving us your BS explanation

Nov 8, 2014, 7:07 AM

then apply the same to the infamous Clowney hit. Probably the most replayed hit in the last 15 years. (To clarify, I don't think Clowney's hit was targeting either - neither did the officials.)

Obviously, the NCAA and ACC Either Are Unaware Of Or

Nov 8, 2014, 7:04 AM

don't understand the implications of the results of last Tuesday's elections.

horsesh""t!

Nov 8, 2014, 7:55 AM

I saw the play. Flat out I don't care how many people try and tell me the sky is green. I know it's blue! NCAA have some balls! You know the ruling was crap. It's ok. Just say it was! Gutless turds!

I could understand a flag, but targeting, NO way***

Nov 8, 2014, 8:26 AM

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

"Head and neck area" now includes the chest? SMDH

Nov 8, 2014, 9:19 AM

Shoulder pad meets other guys shoulder pad and it's targeting. Really? "Launching"? Is he supposed to keep both feet on the ground while running and making a hit on a player in the air? Was he supposed to let the guy catch it, come down, then ask permission to hit the guy?

Incompetence.

He should have taken out his feet and made him spin

Nov 8, 2014, 9:46 AM

that would have been much safer.

Nov 8, 2014, 9:50 AM

That was a clean hit! I don't blame the refs-----I blame the replay booth for not overturning it. And the NCAA is full of #### for saying it was the right call. What a load of bs

Nov 8, 2014, 9:51 AM

Just covering for each other

I blame both. It looked good live, and moreso on replay***

Nov 10, 2014, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: NCAA, ACC head of officials confirm that Smith ejection was "correct" ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2014, 9:50 AM

Here is Mr. Redding's email address. Feel free to express your opinion.
redding.cfo@hotmail.com

Here is the rule

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

Why don't they just settle all of this and just go to tag football. I think that is what they are really after ...

This is the result of the politically correct, wussification

Nov 8, 2014, 9:58 AM

of football. Fear of litigation and the threat of bad press from vaginal interest groups will eventually totally ruin the violent element of football. We are a nation of sensitive wusses. It won't stop until fans organize and do something about it.

Nov 8, 2014, 10:05 AM

I don't think I talked to anyone who watched the game that didn't think it was the worst officated game they have ever watched. Many of my SEC friends commented that it was so bad it had to be intentional. What did we do to tick off the officials? Not just this call but many others as well as missed calls were the center of discussion yesterday in my office and I am the only Clemson fan. So now the NCAA has set a new standard to save face for the ACC. I hope every SEC coach is burning up the NCAA and SEC phone lines over this. My SEC friends believe they will never make this call in the SEC despite the NCAA's public support. Now that it is done, Clemson and all fans need to be very vocal if it is not applied fairly and only apples to us. I have always supported our ACC affiliation but when we are intentionally, publicly treated so unfairly I say it is time to find another home.

Just shows how a guy who is supposed to be in charge

Nov 8, 2014, 10:15 AM

Will bend what he, and everybody else in God's green Earth saw, to justify a mistake one of his troops has made. Pathetic pass given for a pathetic call. Now a pathetic explanation. He needs to be reprimanded and dismissed too.

Nov 8, 2014, 10:26 AM

I want to see what they recommend for unc for cheating for over 18 years. Different board investigates, but it will have the same bs smell.

Doug Rhodes

Nov 8, 2014, 12:10 PM

nm

Nov 8, 2014, 12:12 PM

They need to change anatomy books then if your head/neck is in the middle of your chest.

2035 prediction

Nov 8, 2014, 4:25 PM

there will be no more tackle football https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S8099kJGMc <~~ heres what you have forward to looking to.

Nov 8, 2014, 11:14 PM

"There is a launch"
This is the part that amazes me. Where and how did Smith exactly launch himself. He braced himself for the impact as any football player is trained to do. Any less action would be shying away from the impact. Should he have put up his hands and tried to cushion the impact? Is this what the rules are trying to impart? The part about head and neck is so ambiguous they can define it as any area above the torso; but there was def no "launch."

Baloney. Why even bother being consulted at all?

Nov 9, 2014, 12:13 PM

Chicken----

I say we unleash Smoth on that committee!

Nov 9, 2014, 6:32 PM

Either that or its time we round these morons up and hang them from the goal posts!

Nov 10, 2014, 1:17 PM

Dear Mr Rhoads,

Whilst I was tickled about the calls against those Tigers, we need to make sure you are a little more sober next time. You had a hard time with your numbers and whether it was offensive or defensive penalty. I loved that ejection though, go Heels!!!

John Swofford

When did the sternum become part of the head or neck?

Nov 10, 2014, 1:21 PM

Oh, it's connected, so there you go.

The head bone's connected to the, neck bone. The neck bone's connected to the, chest bone. (remember that old tune?)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CRUMP BURY THESE TARGETING STORIES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Nov 10, 2014, 1:29 PM

We already know the arrogant self-serving SOB's blatantly targeted US with this BS call and ruling.

Replies: 125
| visibility 151
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic