Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence

Feb 2, 2018, 8:09 AM

Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence

Trevor Lawrence put up impressive numbers throughout his high school career and recruiting analysts have been high on Lawrence’s potential since the beginning. Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney is also a big fan. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Message removed by Author

Feb 2, 2018, 8:19 AM

Message removed by Author

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence

Feb 2, 2018, 8:24 AM

It’s a big difference in the ACC compared to HS ball.
He has lots to do before he is ever better than DW4.

I think they mean coming out of high school.

Feb 2, 2018, 8:39 AM

It's reasonable to say that he's better than DW coming out of high school. We'll see how he progresses.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2018, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

How much does TL have to do to be as good a DW4? Asking for my uncle!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2018, 10:18 PM

I don’t know that he will be better than Deshaun in college, but he broke all of Deshaun’s records in Georgia

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 6, 2018, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

Right now, he doesn't have to be better than DW4. He just needs to be better than the ones now in the program. My guess is that he will be better than DW4, as well. There were many on here who never thought DW4 would be better than Tajh Boyd. They were very wrong. I hope TL comes in and sets a new and even higher bar. And, I hope the next one is even better, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said it before you!

Feb 2, 2018, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

It must have been like three, yeah, that's what it was three months ago. No wait, maybe it was like five. Yeah, not that I think of it, it was five months ago that I said it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2018, 8:21 AM

Will he be getting #16 jersey?

Feb 2, 2018, 8:32 AM

nope he's wearing no4 with two patches

Feb 2, 2018, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

It seems reasonable that Dabo had WS "hold" #16 for TL.

A redshirt only waste a year of his time here.

Feb 2, 2018, 8:36 AM

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Feb 2, 2018, 9:20 AM

Definitely going to be interesting to see how TL progresses over the off season. If he gets close to pushing KB for the starting role, this would be the year to gamble on starting a freshman QB. Especially if the intent is to make some slight shifts in offensive philosophy going with more down field passing and less QB runs. With the way the D looks (on paper at least) we should require very little offense to beat most teams until the ACCCG and playoffs, which would be a great situation to learn on the job.

I trust the coaches though, and if KB progresses with his passing then he may become the complete QB we need to win a championship.

Regardless of all that it gives us something to debate over the off season.

Feb 2, 2018, 9:52 AM

If Bryant is the starter get ready for another College Football Playoff Semi-Final exit. KB is a good QB, but not great. TL is the answer.

Feb 2, 2018, 12:36 PM

Lol at TL is the answer and he has yet to take a snap in practice yet. Let him prove it and then we can talk.

Feb 2, 2018, 2:05 PM

He's already a better passer than KB, the incumbent starter. You're right, we'll see, but he's the highest rated QB to ever come out of the state of GA. He should be great.

Feb 6, 2018, 7:50 PM

So far, he has eclipsed DW4 on the field and set new records in GA. We all will see what is next. Maybe he will be better, maybe not, but it will be fun to watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2018, 9:59 AM

Hope not and do not see a redshirt for TL......this guy will be at Clemson (yes he will graduate in 3 years) for only 3 years and then he be the top pick in NFL draft.....and we don't want to waste one of his years at Clemson with a redshirt.......makes absolutely no sense................Go Tigers!!!!!!

Feb 2, 2018, 10:24 AM

According to Trent Dilfer, TL is already better than Seventeen Starting NFL QB'S.
The reasons We didn't beat Alabama is because We had no Downfield Passing.
TL solves that problem and KB will make A Great WR !

Feb 2, 2018, 10:53 AM

No redshirt. There's no reason to waste a year with him. He's the best HS QB I have ever seen and I have been following this recruiting game for a long, long time. He has it all, and if he redshirts and starts as a redshirt freshman, then he is gone after his sophomore season. Maybe he will not be ready, but there's a need to get him out there and get some playing time under his belt as a true freshman.

Hunter Johnson and Chase Brice had better step up really fast, too. Zerrick Cooper is already gone and somebody else might leave which will suck.

Feb 2, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

I don't know if you watched the same game as me?

We lost to Alabama because there was no blocking, and no protection for KB.

I seem to remember a 3rd down pass on the first series that may have had a dramatic impact on the game if someone held onto a perfectly thrown pass.

It may not seem like it at times, but there are complexities to this offense that have to be learned and practiced.

I fully expect KB to make significant strides from year over year, as well as Hunter Johnson.

I also think we will get better WR play from a 2nd year Tee Higgins, Renfro, and company. Couple that with more experience from Etienne in blitz pickup, and this offense will be much better.

However the lineup turns out, this team will be successful.

Let's try and enjoy the ride, and not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Feb 2, 2018, 3:28 PM

I agree about the lack of blocking in the playoff game. The offensive line was porous and the rbs did not block, leaving KB vulnerable too many times. And the receivers did not get open. Cain had a poor game, Renfrow did not make catches until it was too late and Tee Higgins got hurt. Little running game to boot. 'Bama was too much that night. I honestly don't think a change of qbs would have helped. The line play is what wins games. The hogs make the pretty boys look good or bad. So, let's hope 'dem hogs get good and ugly this year. GooooooooooTigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 3, 2018, 12:44 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

There was no more blocking for DW4 as it was for KB, but he won a NC. KB done well when he had plenty of time against average defenses. DW4 did great against better than average to the best defenses.

Feb 3, 2018, 5:40 AM

Thank you. Ask the Texans if a good QB makes your blocking look better.

Absolutely PP

Feb 3, 2018, 3:51 PM

Jags had NFL record sack day in Game 1 against Tom Savage and Texans. Sack total was cut by 80% the minute that DW4 walked on the field.

Absolutely PP

Feb 3, 2018, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

Jags had NFL record sack day in Game 1 against Tom Savage and Texans. Sack total was cut by 80% the minute that DW4 walked on the field.

Feb 3, 2018, 4:42 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

TL promises to be a great Tiger QB. As DH said, competition will bring out whether he's ready to start sometime this season. I think he will, but again time will tell.

It's a certainty Bama's Dline and blitz play affected KB and our offense. It was the least productive game we had all season. Yeah, dropped passes contributed and turnovers hurt. But it's not helpful or accurate imo to project another QB into what happened in our loss to the Tide. It may have made a difference, or maybe not, because of unforseeable variations in play, tempo, and execution.

I agree, let's enjoy the ride to another great Tiger season and let the expert eyeballs and brains on the practice field determine who's best suited to lead our team this year.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2018, 8:15 PM

I agree with you, but the situation was made even more complicated by our having a QB who was relatively incapable of completing passes more than 10 yards downfield. When defenses don't fear the pass, they bring pressure that most OL's can't match.

Feb 2, 2018, 11:10 AM

I will start by saying I supported and totally agreed with KB being the guy this past year. I would really love to see us move to an offense that features less designed QB runs and utilizes our running back talent more. I think a QB like Lawrence who is more of a “pure passer” will give us that opportunity. Sounds like he is more physically ready than Deshaun was at this point and the coaches will have to evaluate if he is mentally ready. The mentality that Deshaun brought to the game is what sets him apart. If Trevor gets to that level mentally we will see a lot of him this year. This is going to be fun to watch!!! GO TIGERS!!!!

Feb 3, 2018, 12:46 AM

100% will be fun to watch!!!

Feb 6, 2018, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

All over it!

Feb 2, 2018, 12:00 PM

Wow. I see a lot of sky high expectations set for Trevor. I hope he fulfills them. From everything that has been shown, disseminated, broadcast he just may but since I have no control over it I think I’ll go with the coaches choice on who to pick to make another run this year and leave my expectations on the wait and see level. Go Tigers!

I respectfully hope you're wrong on your prediction

Feb 2, 2018, 3:10 PM

I completely understand your take - its been shown time and time again by the coaching staff - but barring some sort of setback on TL's part, I don't see KB being the conclusive starter by the end of spring ball. Watson's hindrance was a shoulder injury that kept him out of spring practice his first semester, and even with that, the '14 season was only 3 games in before he was named the starter. I expect the same to be the case for TL, except he probably takes control sooner, maybe even during the summer.

Re: I respectfully hope you're wrong on your prediction

Feb 2, 2018, 6:14 PM

Maybe by the the A&M game !

Re: I respectfully hope you're wrong on your prediction

Feb 6, 2018, 8:20 PM

I hope we don't waste a game or two proving KB isn't the guy, like we did while waiting to start KB.

Feb 2, 2018, 7:51 PM

Kelly Bryant isn’t nowhere close to the talent of TLaw. Start Bryant = not win national title. Start Lawrence=win it all. Take your pick. Dabo will pick KB

Feb 3, 2018, 12:54 AM

I would usually agree with you, but I'm not so sure now with the talk from Dabo stating that we would win it all again sooner than later. He knows that TL will give us that chance during his time at Clemson!!!

Feb 6, 2018, 8:34 PM

Hoping you are right about Dabo's comment, and hoping he we don't waste time and production experimenting on a project that is unlikely to succeed. Our receivers are too stellar to not be targeted any more than KB attempted this year. Defenses know his weaknesses, and they exploited it. If they could recognize it, we should have as well.

That may have been the same case with HJ this year

Feb 4, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

Sure, he needed coaching up. But Bama and UGA coached up lesser QB talent, and it worked out for them.

Feb 6, 2018, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

Sadly, I fear you are right. Not sure it's Dabo as much as Tony E. Whoever it is, I hope they really do get it right from the get go.

Feb 2, 2018, 10:58 PM

There's no denying TL's talent and I'm as excited as anyone to see what he can become over the next couple of years. I also think that KB deserves to be penciled in as the 2018 starter at this point. What surprises me is how little mention there is in similar articles, and these comments, of the possibility that Hunter could emerge as the top QB for the 2018 campaign. In my opinion confidence and quick decision making were what KB lacked in crunch time this past year. I truly believe that Hunter will surpass KB, and TL will get valuable practice, experience and some mop-up reps this coming season. That being said, I think Dabo and staff are going to have a very tough decision at the end of August, choosing a starter for the first game. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole stable get fairly equal PT against Furman before a "real" starter is named for the A&M game.

I'll also say that anyone that believes that the Sugar Bowl loss is on Bryant, or feels that we could not have won the Championship with KB, needs to take another look. KB may not have been capable of carrying the team on his back but the entire offense was flat. Wrong time for a bad game and Bama was simply the better team that night.

Feb 3, 2018, 12:58 AM

I'm OK with KB being penciled in, just do it with a pencil that has an eraser!!!

Feb 3, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Meet the new kid: Trevor Lawrence ]

In regards to our game with Bama, sometimes if what you have on the field isn’t working you have to make a change. The threat of an accurate downfield passer may have opened that game up. For an example of making a radical change in such a big game I offer you what Saban did vs Georgia. If he doesn’t make that change Georgia is your national champion. It’s like when the Braves used to be in the playoffs every year. Do you leave Maddux on the bench? Or do you bring him in out of the bullpen in a do or die game? Our game was so or die and we obviously had a QB, blocking aside, whom had no respect from the opposing team. That enabled them to pin their ears back and blitz. The defense wasn’t the problem either. 14 points were directly related to their defense. Convert one of our field goals to a TD and take away one TD that was scored due to an interception. The score is now 17-13.

Once we saw we weren’t scoring we could have made a change. That way you at least used all your weapons. One may say, “but you don’t throw HJ in a game like that because he didn’t have the experience.” Well neither did Tua.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 1:14 PM

Here's how i see this playing out:
Trevor Lawrence may or may not see the field until next year.
Hunter Johnson could supplant Bryant as the number 1 but i think we will play a 2-QB system.
Chase Brice could be a wild card #2/3.

We have a wealth of riches at the QB position but this spot will not be settled until next year.

But mark my word, if Hunter Johnson get's in and plays consistently, it will be curtains for Kelly Bryant.

Feb 4, 2018, 1:20 PM

If not Hunter Johnson, meet next years starter.

IMHO Dabo will have to sit down with vets at some point

Feb 4, 2018, 2:13 PM

in 2018 season and tell them KB is no longer the QB starter, and TK or HJ give the Tigers the best chance to win it all. Hopefully before the Furman game as new QB(s) will need practice and game snaps with 1st team. KB will be a valuable weapon on the bench if team needs a mid-game pick-up or change of direction.

Re: IMHO Dabo will have to sit down with vets at some point

Feb 4, 2018, 2:32 PM

With all Tiger players, they all have been preached to that the best is the standard, and that the best players will play. So anytime that our coaches starts a different guy, they all should already understand that the rule is, the best players will play. So players should never need verbal explanations or reasoning why there is a new starter at any position. They know that the best is the standard, and that goes for who plays also!!!

I saw TL walk across Lake Hartwell on his way to practice***

Feb 7, 2018, 4:30 PM

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic