Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering

Jul 22, 2015, 1:22 PM

Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering

The state's star witness in the Howard's Rock vandalism case took the stand Wednesday morning to describe the events of that night, and TigerNet was on hand to capture the proceedings. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering

Jul 22, 2015, 1:30 PM

I'm thinking I might be alone on this, but I don't think this kid should go to jail. I think a hefty fine and some community service would be plenty.

A good six months

Jul 22, 2015, 1:37 PM

of having his anus abused ought to do it.

Make him tell where the piece he took is

Jul 22, 2015, 3:43 PM

and then give him a year

I thought the same thing, the problem is

Jul 22, 2015, 6:28 PM

that doing so would provide the critical evidence against him.
Chances are, if he still had it, his lawyer advised him to make it disappear.
Not that I like it, but I think that's the way these things work....

My problem is he jumped the fence and busted the case.

Jul 22, 2015, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

Had this been during a game or during fan day or something when the rock was open to the public and he walked up and chiseled a piece of it (didn't something like that happen at one point?), I could go with community service and a fine.

And then dancing around in the street "I got what I came for!" Despicable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: My problem is he jumped the fence and busted the case.

Jul 22, 2015, 1:48 PM

I wonder what a plea would have gotten him and if it included any jail time. If it did not, then he rolled the dice and he deserves whatever he gets.

If he gets jail time, that's fine with me. He's plenty old enough to know the difference between right and wrong.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering

Jul 22, 2015, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

You're not. I don't think jail time is appropriate. I think maybe a month in jail, followed by 500 hours (about 3 months) of UNPAID work chipping away stones in a quarry with a salad fork.

Jul 22, 2015, 1:49 PM

Oh - and he has to pay the school back for the damage he did to the case/property in cash (not in trade).

He needs about 90 days in jail, plus restitution.***

Jul 22, 2015, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He needs about 90 days in jail, plus restitution.***

Jul 22, 2015, 4:08 PM

This dude was happy about what he had done. That was what he had plan to do, where are all these slap on the hand BS coming from. He has violated all the way to the end with nothing but lies without any remorse what so ever. The only thing that didn't work out the way he planned except getting caught. This dude is as criminal as any the state has already put away. If he had broken into your house and stole something that your mom or dad had left you that couldn't be replaced, like the only picture on earth of your mom or dad, would you feel so light hearted and favorable for this dude then?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2015, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

Community service for Grand Larceny? I don't think that is going to happen

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Technically it could

Jul 22, 2015, 2:11 PM

since there is no mandatory minimum sentence associated with either crime, but it's hard for me to imagine/justify him getting off without serving any time.

I bet he gets a year or two but only serves 3-6 months

Maybe not necessarily ten years...but

Jul 22, 2015, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

he definitely deserves some time...it could have been alot worse...what if he would have completely damaged it into hundreds of pieces...i mean it was a close call and still dont know why this day and age it wasnt protected more.

But honestly community service is an absolute joke now...i mean all he has to do is find someone he knows to sign off on a bunch of time unless its mandated to a certain place...i think he def deserves a little time...maybe a year or two.

Pathetic..Howard's RoCK worth much less than $150,000!

Jul 22, 2015, 1:59 PM

Go tigers

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pathetic..Howard's RoCK worth much less than $150,000!

Jul 22, 2015, 2:06 PM

The paper my Clemson diploma was printed on is worth about $0.05, but I sure did pay upwards of $60,000+ to get it!

Can't put a dollar value on everything...

Re: Pathetic..Howard's RoCK worth much less than $150,000!

Jul 22, 2015, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Pathetic..Howard's RoCK worth much less than $150,000! ]

I would bet that it would bring much more than $150,000. If people would pay that to get their name ona flower bed, I would imaging "The Rock, Howard's Rock" would fetch much more than that to some Clemson boosters. To us it's like a Holy Grail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You cannot read

Jul 22, 2015, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Pathetic..Howard's RoCK worth much less than $150,000! ]

The expert testified that the piece was worth about 140k if broken up, not the entire thing. Said "this is the rock stars of rocks."

Your posts are getting pathetic That expert was the best of the best in appraising sports memorabilia in the US.

it's not being sold, it was to establish level of the crime & possibly punishment/sentencing.

Re: You cannot read

Jul 22, 2015, 2:44 PM

You may be a little confused too.......

The trial began Monday with Solicitor Walt Wilkins and Assistant Solicitor Baker Cleveland serving as the state’s prosecutors. Leila Dunbar – an expert witness who as appraised memorabilia for the NFL Hall of Fame, Baseball Hall of Fame and New York Yankees Museum testified that if Howard’s Rock was broken into 1,344 pieces, each piece would sell for $100 each, totally $134,000.

No, other reports said

Jul 22, 2015, 3:03 PM

It was the piece, not the entire rock, that was worth 135k.

and, it does not matter as to his conviction. It matters as to the level of the crime and his possible sentencing. But other reports stated that she testified as to the value of the piece. And, did state this was the rock star of rocks.

But, homers like lightbulb go apeshat unless DatBoy said it wasn't so.

That was merely to establish the grand larceny charge.***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: You cannot read ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jul 22, 2015, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

If he accepted what he did I have no doubts Clemson would have let him walk with perhaps a deal of community service.

With him saying he was innocent and cost this state loads of $ prosecuting him. I don't care how long he rots in jail.

i also have a hard time empathizing with law enforcement

Jul 22, 2015, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

when they consistently trot out that "he was nervous" rationale for whatever 4th amendment violation they're about to commit. "His car smelled like pot." "He seemed nervous." "I had to shoot him in the back because I saw him reaching into his waistband."

So says the idiot

Jul 22, 2015, 3:49 PM

Who cannot figure out the difference between Winthrop & Clemson.

And, you talk all 4th amendment, how cute.

You were educated in Pennsylvania, where is a 4th Amendment violation here?

Turn him loose in Lot 2 an hour before the Notre Dame game.

Jul 22, 2015, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

We'll take care of the punishment.

Jul 22, 2015, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

After seeing him wear that shirt (Keep your hands off my rock) makes me want to beat that shirt off of him with a horse whip. First of all, it wasn't his rock, 2nd of all, he broke and stole something that he can give back. 3d, he and his family has lied about this with every breath in there body denying doing Clemson or Clemson nation any wrong like what he done was OK as far as he was concerned. I hope he gets every day the law will allow, and he has to serve every minute of it in a SC prison down Clemson's way. And a fine of $150,000 for the rock, and another $250.000 for the piece he through away!!! A criminal is a criminal, and bc of his name or who his parents are doesn't make him any less of a criminal. His parents are criminals also, lock them all up, and take their dog to the dog pound. Some seem to be concerned about his age, criminals come in all ages. How old was the punk that killed all those defenseless people in charleston, about the same age I would guess. Does he not deserve death bc of his age. A criminal is what now......... a freaking criminal!!! And he chose to break and steal the piece of rock just as he has chose to face jail time over just telling the truth, makes him a dirty lying thieving criminal, the worst kind!!! If justice is done, he will receive every second the law allows, and pay every penny that the rock is worth in money. No better time than now to teach the well off that they can't teach their kids to just lie your way out of trouble, just lie and all will be OK, just lie, lie, lie and hire a lawyer....

Jul 22, 2015, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

Why don't you go over and chip off a piece of the Blarney Stone, or maybe take of finger off the Lincoln monument and see if you get community service and probabation. I'm thinking 6 mos to a year, additional parole and community service, and a good caneing. ??

Jul 22, 2015, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard's Rock Trial: State rests as star witness describes breaking glass, hammering ]

I agree...I hope he will never play a prank like that again. He is young...He should have some punishment ... but not jail time. He did vandalize Clemson property and he needs to pay for that. Hopefully he has learned a valuable lesson. I wish I knew more about him. Has he ever been in any type of trouble before? Does anyone know?

Jul 23, 2015, 1:08 AM

I disagree. I think he definitely deserves jail time. I didn't necessarily think he deserved more than a month and a bunch of community service at first.

The pics of him today changed everything!

Buying that shirt the day AFTER he did this shows his true character and what he believes he did is no big deal. Hope he gets a year.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Can't wait to hear the defense, I'll bet its hilarious. Also

Jul 22, 2015, 2:05 PM

for this guy not to plea out, he needs to get the maximum penalty. He is obviously guilty and still wasting taxpayer money for this trial.

The defense will probably take the usual approach.

Jul 22, 2015, 2:10 PM

The evidence is all circumstantial, you can't see sh*t in that video - certainly not enough to prove that it is my client blah blah blah, and then they will try to trash and discredit the witness (end of that friendship if it even still exists now) and offer some alternative timeline of the events that fit the evidence presented by the prosecution.

Re: The defense will probably take the usual approach.

Jul 22, 2015, 2:16 PM

They will lose. His best bet in the world was to cop a plea. He messed in his nest by not taking a deal, if one ever was offered.

Re: The defense will probably take the usual approach.

Jul 22, 2015, 4:24 PM [ in reply to The defense will probably take the usual approach. ]

They can prove he was there by his truck being there, and one of his friends is saying he was there. The lawyer is going to say his buddy was the one who done it, and is lying on Micah.

Micah is not testifying

Jul 22, 2015, 4:31 PM

And a lawyer cannot testify. My question, who are the defense witnesses, if any?

Re: Micah is not testifying

Jul 22, 2015, 4:40 PM

His daddy and mommy!!!

Re: Can't wait to hear the defense, I'll bet its hilarious. Also

Jul 22, 2015, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Can't wait to hear the defense, I'll bet its hilarious. Also ]

I'm beginning to think that Wilkins didn't offer any kind of reasonable plea bargain. Maybe Wilkins is thinking of running for elective office and thinks Clemson fans will remember this and support him.

Jul 22, 2015, 5:01 PM

Walt Wilkins may not look the part, but he is/can be a hard ###. I've met him on several occasions for extended amounts of time. Very ambitious as well.

Jul 22, 2015, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Can't wait to hear the defense, I'll bet its hilarious. Also ]

He also says he want testify on his own defense, to me he is to scared bc of his guilt, or the lawyer don't want to risk him perjuring himself. Not testifying is also like saying, I did it, now prove I did it. Especially in cases like this!!!

I don't really understand the valuation used. Is there some

Jul 22, 2015, 2:06 PM

significance to either the $134,000 or the 1344 pieces? I would also bet that the rock would auction for more than 134k if sold whole. That would be the absolute pinnacle of Clemson sports memorabilia and one of our wealthy donors would pay handsomely for it.

Re: I don't really understand the valuation used. Is there some

Jul 22, 2015, 2:14 PM

I think it's probably based on the dimensions of the rock and how many pieces of a specific size you could get from those dimensions.

I'm fine with the valuation from a commercial standpoint, but the intrinsic value of the rock as a whole is obviously much greater.

Re: I don't really understand the valuation used. Is there some

Jul 22, 2015, 2:24 PM [ in reply to I don't really understand the valuation used. Is there some ]

Exactly! I bet it would bring near 7 figures at auction.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2015, 2:11 PM

I don't know if SC has a "First Offender" opportunity, or not, but it is a good teacher of those prone to think crime is okay. About 6 months to serve as a labor/work sentence via a detention center, + about 1,500 hours community service dictated by the University, followed by 5 years probation with zero incidents in that 5 year period would clear his record and not ruin his life forever, while still teaching him a very good lesson about consequences and repercussions stemming from stupidity. If he had any incidents during the 5 probationary years, then it's immediate revocation of the deal, and into the state penitentiary for the full 5 year sentence without opportunity for parole. That way he earns his place back into society, learns a hard lesson, and a lot of work gets done by him in the meantime. Oh, and of course he must pay for the damage to the property in cash.

Jul 22, 2015, 4:30 PM

He will have to get probation or parole in order to gain any restitution.

Keep Your Eyes on the Rock!

Jul 22, 2015, 2:26 PM

Am I missing something? Where's the piece of the rock?!?

If he demonstrates remorse by returning all of it, then restitution and a minimum sentence makes sense.

But if he's unwilling or unable to return it, he clearly regrets only getting caught and should serve the maximum time. Further, the judge should order than all portions of the rock belong to Clemson University and must be returned so that if he attempts to sell it, both he and the buyer are in violation of a court order and would be charged accordingly.

The only injustice that can come from this trial is if that little SOB gets to keep any part of the rock or proceeds from selling it.

Go TIGERS!

Re: Keep Your Eyes on the Rock!

Jul 22, 2015, 4:38 PM

He could be charged again for selling stolen property. If you rob the bank and get away with the money. You go to prison for bank robbery, you can't legally keep or spend the money when you get out of prison.

I'm Calling it Now!!

Jul 22, 2015, 3:00 PM

I see this guy going to jail and Obama using the case to bash South Carolinians and push his "prison reform".

"Clemson University wasting tax payer dollars by imprisoning a young man who made a simple mistake. All he did was take a piece of a rock from the campus. Not only should he be released from prison, but Clemson should give him a full scholarship so he can learn the difference between right and wrong!" ~ future Obama quote

What did he do with with the rock????

Jul 22, 2015, 3:01 PM

Did that not come up in the trial. Where did he hide the evidence. After all is said and done and serves his punishment, is he going to go dig up the rock which he most likely hid somewhere and will all ways have this treasured possession.

Re: What did he do with with the rock????

Jul 22, 2015, 3:42 PM

The kid still won't admit he stole it and I doubt even if found guilty will admit it.

Due to this I hope he rots in jail. The kid needs to admit fault and move on with his life.

He's denying that he jumped the fence.

Jul 22, 2015, 5:18 PM [ in reply to What did he do with with the rock???? ]

So his answer to 'where's the rock" is most likely something along the lines of "what rock?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If convicted he'll barter the rock for a reduced sentence.***

Jul 22, 2015, 7:30 PM [ in reply to What did he do with with the rock???? ]

Great article DavidHoodSteele

Jul 22, 2015, 3:45 PM

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Agree. Thanks for covering this!***

Jul 22, 2015, 7:31 PM

perhaps addtional punishment could be

Jul 22, 2015, 3:49 PM

gamechickens season tickets.
and that "sandstorm" crap will be
piped into his cell.

Needs to be made example of. No mercy! He's a vandal***

Jul 22, 2015, 4:48 PM

I think that shirt he bought the day AFTER the crime

Jul 22, 2015, 5:27 PM

Does him in and guarantees jail time. I'm betting he serves at least 6 months, plus a ton of community service (hopefully on campus)

For him to buy that shirt the day after he broke the rock was a slap in the face to Clemson , and also shows he didn't think what he'd done was a big deal.

Shirt does him in imo

I don't want that scum anywhere near our campus.***

Jul 22, 2015, 7:21 PM

Return the rock or death by bunjee!***

Jul 22, 2015, 7:35 PM

whatever happened to the other dude that was caught on

Jul 23, 2015, 8:04 AM

camera wielding a sledge hammer at the protective case? I can't remember if they ever found that dude either? I know a lot of people thought it was somebody from the construction crews.

Jul 23, 2015, 8:05 AM

Perhaps an appropriate sentence would be the maximum allowed 20 years in prison or until the rock is returned but no less than 6 months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic