Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Fumble knocks Kelly Bryant out of the game plan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

New Story: Fumble knocks Kelly Bryant out of the game plan

Nov 14, 2015, 9:19 PM

Fumble knocks Kelly Bryant out of the game plan

Clemson’s offensive game plan featured a lot of Kelly Bryant, but a first quarter fumble put those plans on hold. What were the coaches" plans for Bryant? What will they look for next week? Photo by Mark Konezny / USATODAY
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

imo that one play shifted the way the game went..

Nov 14, 2015, 9:24 PM

we were on the verge of going up 21-0 that would have demoralized them..instead they got a fumble and a td gave them new life..thats my one prob with dabo he tends to do stuff like that from time to time take out the hot hand when the offense is rolling

Re: imo that one play shifted the way the game went..

Nov 14, 2015, 9:27 PM

Agreed, that play turned momentum in a hurry.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2015, 9:27 PM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

I wholeheartedly agree.

Geez

Nov 14, 2015, 9:33 PM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

If he wouldn't have fumbled everyone would be singing a different tune. He has run the ball successfully many times and why would anyone think he wouldn't be able to get a few yards for us this time. The coaches weren't sitting Watson and ready to play Kelly the rest of the game, they were just trying to run a play or two. And it is obvious from the interview they are going to do it again.

and your point?

Nov 14, 2015, 9:38 PM

of course it wouldnt be an issue had he not fumbled..still would have been a bone headed idea to take out the hot hand..heck if we were down by 7 in a game and ran a qb draw on 4th and 15 with 1 min to go in the game we wouldnt complain if they picked it up..but it would still be a bone headed play call

Re: and your point?

Nov 14, 2015, 9:43 PM

They were running a play, not benching dw. It was a run play at that. A run play with a guy who has been successful at running. It wasn't a trick pay with Sammy throwing the ball. The worst that should have happened was he didn't get many yards, but he ended up fumbling, big deal. As I said, they are already taking about doing it again.

Nov 14, 2015, 9:45 PM [ in reply to and your point? ]

So to answer your question, my point is I don't think it was a bad idea, he just fumbled.

Nov 16, 2015, 9:15 AM

and to make matters worse he didn't FUMBLE

This doesn't excuse the D's horrible performance!

Nov 14, 2015, 11:42 PM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

The D hurt the momentum more than this did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely agree and I'm sure the D does as well

Nov 15, 2015, 1:39 AM

There did not seem to be a lack of effort. How to play the option was a mystery for a while. We paid for a couple of blitzes with long runs. I'm surprised Shaq Lawson's jersey wasn't ripped off of him. I know there is holding on every play so call it equitably but a jersey stretched out away from a player's body should be a clue even for a group of highly vaunted ACC officials. If your defensive pressure is neutralized by some questionable techniques, obviously more passes are completed. The run--that is a different story. But Hey we won!!!-no Clemsoning! (Sorry Dabo!)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Absolutely agree and I'm sure the D does as well

Nov 16, 2015, 9:16 AM

If I could TD this post a 1000 times it wouldn't be enough

Nov 14, 2015, 11:48 PM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

I have no problem with getting guys ready bc they need to be ready for our depth. But when the game plan was mostly about getting guys ready, there should have been a solid plan B if plan A wasn't working out. And it didn't look to be any other plans ready on either side of the ball. But, in sports, there will be games like the one we had today....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2015, 1:48 AM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

OK so the offense coughed up the ball for 7 points. I hardly think that caused horrific damage for the remainder of the game. The fact that it was a freshman did not make it worse.I can't believe they made an article out of this!

The other thing is that Syracuse played well.

I completely agree

Nov 15, 2015, 2:47 AM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

It changed the whole complexion of the game. It gave them hope. Had Deshaun taken it down the field and scored our third TD, I think we probably would have sailed to a comfortable victory.

It sent a wrong message to the whole team.

Nov 15, 2015, 4:17 AM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

We're up 14-0 very very quickly. Then, we inserted the backup QB into the game. Everyone (including I) thought it's gonna be an easy win. NOT.

This was like the good old days when we got too easy and didn't blow a knockout punch and we came out on the wrong side of the scoreboard. Fortunately, this team is good enough to get us through.

Nov 15, 2015, 5:56 AM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

It was a little like when Chad Morris got it in his head that Sammy needed to throw the ball instead of catching it... and at the strangest times, usually resulting in a momentum shift. Sometimes the "brain trust" tends to outthink themselves. When you've got the hot hand, especially early in the game, just keep doing what you're doing... worry about the flashy stuff later when the outcome has been determined. IMHO.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2015, 8:27 AM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

I agree that it was no doubt a momentum changer but if Bryant had taken it to the house we would be singing a different song. It was simply bad luck the way it happened. If we don't do things to mix it up and give other teams more to prepare for then down the road we will regret it. Bryant is legit and will bounce back.

Agreed, WAY WAY too early for the cute playcalling

Nov 15, 2015, 4:52 PM [ in reply to imo that one play shifted the way the game went.. ]

If we're up 35-0 at the half start testing new plays but like 4 minutes into the 4th is ridiculous. We're trying to win a championship, not playing preseason games here guys.

He shouldn't have even been part of the game plan until

Nov 14, 2015, 9:26 PM

Clemson was up by 4 td's or so.

If he had broken one like he did against Miami, we'd be

Nov 14, 2015, 9:29 PM

applauding the move. However, it was reminiscent of some of the crap we used to pull 5-6 years ago.

I appreciate the effort they are going through to get KB up to speed offensively.

Re: If he had broken one like he did against Miami, we'd be

Nov 14, 2015, 9:34 PM

I can appreciate the effort to but didn't like seeing it so early in the game.

Re: If he had broken one like he did against Miami, we'd be***

Nov 14, 2015, 9:36 PM

Nov 14, 2015, 9:46 PM

This one is on the coaches hands down. It was mistake on their part that backfired.

Bryant did not necessarily do anything wrong. Syracuse made that play happen and he may have been down. He was not carrying the ball loosely.

Our defense stunk it up and it is time to figure some things out there. To many chunk plays being given up and Goodson and Bouleware have poor run fits. Reminds me of Anthony his Freshman and sophomore year. Need to get the chip back on the shoulder.

Also outside of Miami we have been terrible on the road. I blame Dabo. IMO This mantra that every game on the road will be tough is giving the team a lack of confidence as opposed to what he is trying to do.

Nov 15, 2015, 7:33 AM

Agree - anyone would have fumbled that ball. Along with Renfrow's fumble - good plays by Syracuse.

Re: He shouldn't have even been part of the game plan until

Nov 14, 2015, 11:00 PM [ in reply to He shouldn't have even been part of the game plan until ]

Yea buddy let the coaches coach.

I'm worst call of the year

Nov 14, 2015, 9:27 PM

Totally changed the flow of this game. No need to do this.

Imo not i'm...#### autotext***

??dang, liked the plan so sux that KB muffed the opportunity!

GoTiGS! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Fumble knocks Kelly Bryant out of the game plan

Nov 14, 2015, 9:31 PM

With this news coming out, it seems the coaches planned to blow SU out and had a lackadaisical week of practice. Maybe not, but if so, I hope the coaches learned their lesson. Take nothing for granted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because they didn't redshirt Kelly, they owe it to him and

Nov 14, 2015, 9:41 PM

the team to get him ready as a true backup. All he's done is run safe packages. If Watson goes down, Bryant has to have real work under his belt. This was a good idea gone bad. What sucks is I'm still not sure he even fumbled. Regardless, you can't take off a dynamic playmaker's redshirt, declare him the backup, and then limit him to meaningless mop-up duty.

Nov 14, 2015, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Fumble knocks Kelly Bryant out of the game plan ]

Yeah, I thought it was a little too quick also. Note to coaches...you have the right thoughts about playing KB, but let him come in fresh AFTER going up 21-0. That was too much pressure at once near the red zone. He wasn't relaxed enough to come in that quick, and in a dome. ESPN will eat Clemson alive for letting an unranked 3 win team to give them so many fits. My guess is "they"(voters) will not see Clemson as the #1 team after this game. As usual Alabama will probably go back to #1 on poll with Ohio State at #2...just my opinion. They never give Clemson credit for nothing, even after still winning.

Nov 14, 2015, 9:56 PM

They said they had it planned to have him come in at the third series, so it's safe to assume he was expecting it. It appears that most are assuming they put him in because they were up. They weren't putting him in for more than a couple plays, and it was planned. He was prepared. He just fumbled the ball. They are gonna do it again vs. Wake Forest. We play alot of freshman, even in big games. Kelly has shown he can run the ball.

Nov 15, 2015, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Fumble knocks Kelly Bryant out of the game plan ]

They, Bama actually LOST a game at home!!!

Kelly Bryant will have better games ahead!!

Nov 14, 2015, 9:42 PM

He impressed all of us in Miami! My slightly biased eyes thought he was down before the fumble anyway. I say put him back in during the Wake game and less ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Tigers!!! A little confidence will go a long way for the rest of the year!

Nov 14, 2015, 9:53 PM

I know my eyes are 83 years old but they saw his knee on the ground before they saw the ball loose. They never did see a replay that showed otherwise.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These coaches got us to no.1 and 9-0 if they think Kelly

Nov 14, 2015, 10:18 PM

Adds something, I'm all for it. It might be the thing that takes us over the top in the ACC Championship and the Playoff.

These coaches have done a great job. It looked like the players didn't want to get hurt on the concrete turf. That stuff didn't look like it would give at all. All the players that landed hard looked like it hurt a bunch of both teams players. I think that hard a lot to do with the turnovers.

I can't wait to see what they are breaking out. It has to be really special when you have Deshaun!

Go Tigers!! 10-0 dream season! Win it all Tigers!!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Stop and think...

Nov 14, 2015, 10:46 PM

I agree, KB needs more touches. You guys are crazy to think we can make this run without a 2nd QB that has some experience. He is a freshman and fumbled. If the dang defense would pick their game up, it would not have been an issue. How about the Dabo call to take points off the board at the end of the game then take a knee? ?? Really, those 3 points might cost us the #1 spot. Give KB more touches next week. We might need him foe the run.

Nov 14, 2015, 11:10 PM

...Except that was a crap call and wasn't a fumble. One of many calls the refs blew today. The phantom hands to the face call on Hyatt that negated a first down was another one.

Nov 14, 2015, 11:16 PM

Looked to me like the coaches phoned it in...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2015, 11:37 PM

Seen a lot of negative talk about taking the points off the board. Those who are whining about three points don't know squat about football! First, three points won't mean squat to the CFP committee one way or the other. If they jump one of the teams over Clemson, it will be because they don't think Clemson IS the #1 team based on the TOTAL game Clemson played against a 3-6 Syracuse not becauce they won by 10 instead of 13 when the spread was 28.

Second, 10 or 13 points is still a 2 score game. So those who want the 3 points are making the decision to kick off to a very dangerous return man with over a minute left in the game with how terrible Clemson's coverage has been. You really want to take the chance of giving up a return for a TD when the 3 points still leaves it as a 2 score game? A sucessful onside kick would have given them the ball back with 40-45 seconds left for a possible win. You really want to do that? Glad all who are / have posted that are not the coach as your stragety to win the game stinks!

Taking the points off the board allowed Clemson to maintain possession and guarantee the win. It was the right call.

It was indeed the right call

Nov 15, 2015, 8:10 AM

to take the points off the board. As you pointed out, the "damage" had already been done... no need to risk losing the game as well.

I think this was the first real case of taking a game for granted... and I think the two quick scores at the beginning contributed. Oddly enough, I think if we had not gotten those two quick TDs, we would have gone on to beat 'Cuse like we should have.

And if we get "demoted" to #2 or #3, sobeit... maybe we can get back to feeling disrespected again, and be motivated to playing up to our potential the rest of the year!

Anyway, onward and upward! Go Tigers.

Nov 15, 2015, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Fumble knocks Kelly Bryant out of the game plan ]

Exactly, took the words right out of my mouth. To question dabo taking the field goal off the board at the end is just idiotic. It was a no brainer. Why would we extend the game for them when we could just take a knee and end it?? I am just amazed that anyone would even question this. Your right, whoever questioned that decision is absolutely clueless and all things football.

Nov 15, 2015, 2:56 AM

Awful call. You sent the team the exact message it did not need receive. I thought the game you were playing now was the most important and yet you tried to get "cute" !! Tighten up or you're going to blow any chance we have. JMO

Nov 15, 2015, 2:58 AM

Awful call. You sent the team the exact message it did not need receive. I thought the game you were playing now was the most important and yet you tried to get "cute" !! Tighten up or you're going to blow any chance we have. JMO

Nov 15, 2015, 4:52 AM

This was a great win for us. Our defense struggled up the middle . Boulware had a average grade. Our defensive backs were beat many times--thankfully their QB could not connect. We still have work to do. There are teams out there that could and will give us big time trouble. I think we looked past this team and look what nearly took place. With that being said, most of us have never seen the Tigers have this kind of a year! Go Tigers.!

Screens & Wake

Nov 15, 2015, 7:37 AM

1st down - let's run a screen pass. Kind of like a pitcher throwing a fast ball on the first pitch to each batter. Predictable. Better watch out for Wake - stats looked pretty good against Notre Dame actually.

Nov 15, 2015, 9:53 AM

Agree with playing him but NOT on the 3rd series of the game.....way to early especially on the road....Go Tigers!!!!

I could be wrong, but the Bryant plan was ok to me

Nov 16, 2015, 9:56 AM

They are trying to get this kid a bit of time while there are still live bullets so to speak. If he comes in and we are up 35-0 it's not a pressure situation. Getting him in real time with first teams does that. I personally DON'T think it was a fumble, but the camera team there was so bad most of the game, I never saw a backside angle. It's like they only had two cameras. I have no problem with KB coming in to run it. What I wold like to see is if he can actually throw it. As he has not done much of that even in blowouts, I'm a tad concerned. I'm sure it's more to confidence in his reading Coverage rather than an actual problem, but still. If he's the next guy, I can't say yet. We know he can run, but is he a Top shelf qb? If not, and Cooper is all advertised I would say talk position change ala Deon Cain 2.0.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic