Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 80
| visibility 1

New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense

Oct 13, 2014, 7:01 AM

Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense

Short-yardage issues continue to haunt the Tigers, linebacker Ben Boulware put on a show and you might be surprised to find out which conference has four of the top ten defenses nationally. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No comment needed.... All points spot-on!

Oct 13, 2014, 7:27 AM

Thanks, David!

Re: No comment needed.... All points spot-on!

Oct 13, 2014, 7:48 AM

One thing:

Just because Cole is the QB of my team doesn't mean I can't point out faults. The end of the first half was all Cole. I will say in his defense, he didn't practice all week. But when he decided to run for it, the chance to score was all but over. I would say that of it was Deshaun or Tajh and they came up short. However, if he scores, people would have annointed him.

Also, Louisville's defense was tight. If you had a mirror it would have been eerie. Both defenses knew their offenses well and it showed at the end of each half with huge stops.

Oct 13, 2014, 8:56 AM [ in reply to No comment needed.... All points spot-on! ]

I'm in agreement. I look forward to a Morris response about running the wildcat. With reports of Choice still working to learn the offense, I could understand if its something they're just not comfortable enough with him running.

Oct 13, 2014, 8:40 PM

Apparently Morris isn't comfortable with anyone or anything, other than his
own opinion.

Oct 13, 2014, 8:38 PM [ in reply to No comment needed.... All points spot-on! ]

David,

I appreciate your articles and generally agree with your major points.
However, I must respectfully take exception to your comment that Clemson fans
have been "hating on" Cole Stoudt. And if you take my disagreement with you,
as "hating" you, then you are doubly mistaken. If you disagree with me
should I assume that you "hate" me?
I have, of course not read every post on this site, so I can only comment based on
the posts I have read. I have not observed a pattern of personal attacks on Cole
Stoudt. Please review my posts, if you care, and if you find a personal, "hateful"
attack on Cole, then I will abjectly apologize. Commenting on a player's ability
is totally different than attacking him personally or his character. I think you
have mixed apples and oranges, and in the process done a disservice to the Clemson
fan base.
When a player accepts a scholarship to a top Division-1 program such as Clemson,
he should realize that he will be judged on performance, not his likeability, hair style,
or whether or not he is kind to animals. These players have typically played in
highly competitive situations for years, and understand that their evaluation will be
based on performance. If they can't accept this, then they should seek to play at a
lesser program where the competition and expectations are not so high.
I like and respect Cole, and regard him as a gutsy young man. I refuse, however, to
indulge in the fantasy that he is a top-flight QB. He is a decent passer who could stand
in the pocket and complete passes----if he had a quality OL that could hold up a pocket.
We don't have that. Cole is not a runner. To compare him with Tajh is absurd. Boyd was a
250 lb. battering ram with far more mobility than Cole.
Cole has been screwed not by the fans, but by a coaching staff that has placed demands on
him that far exceed his natural abilities. Were it not for Brent Venables, we would be a
laughing stock. I wish Cole the very best, but I fear BC's defense will devour him.
But let's not blame it on the fans. You nailed the problem when you referred to our OL.
And Morris's comment that the OL played its best game to date is typically defensive, rigid,
and disingenuous. If you made F's all year and then make a D+, does that make it a good
performance??

Oct 13, 2014, 9:05 PM

No response, David? Or anyone?

Oct 13, 2014, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: No comment needed.... All points spot-on! ]

Great post, which defies logical response.

Oct 13, 2014, 9:25 PM

Wow, David Hood is a no-show.

Oct 13, 2014, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: No comment needed.... All points spot-on! ]

#### COOT

Oct 13, 2014, 9:27 PM

So what are you? Obviously an idiot.

Oct 13, 2014, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: No comment needed.... All points spot-on! ]

did you just tell yourself great post?????

Are you really surprised?***

Oct 13, 2014, 10:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope***

Oct 13, 2014, 11:03 PM

Oct 13, 2014, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: No comment needed.... All points spot-on! ]

Most of them have been deleted, but they were there. Lot of terrible posts about Stoudt,,,but here are a few that are still there. However, I know that you are going to say they are not hate posts, but imo, they are. And if you don't think hate posts will get in a player's mind...well I have nothing to say about that.But carry on, coot.

da## Stoudt...throw the ball away!
Posted: Oct 11, 2014 5:22 PM Reply

You knew we were out of time outs! Hope watson is back for the coot game

Three and Stoudt [15]
Posted: Oct 12, 2014 1:18 AM Reply

Still working on a Watson nickname, but Cole's is pretty easy.

cmj2086®...he removed the post but this is what it said

Re: F you Stoudt

Hate vs. hating

Oct 14, 2014, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: No comment needed.... All points spot-on! ]

David didn't say anyone "hated" Cole Stoudt. He said fans had "hated ON" Stoudt. I'm sure you know the difference, so it's disingenuous to defend TigerNet posters by saying that no one expressed hatred for him. Lots and lots of "fans" were hating on Stoudt before Watson became the starter. (I have no idea if you were one of them.) Some might say those fans were actually "hating on" the coaches for not making the change, but their sentiments often went something like "Swinney and Morris are idiots for not seeing that Stoudt sucks." I'd call that hating on Cole Stoudt, in addition to the coaches. So David Hood is absolutely right about that.

Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense

Oct 13, 2014, 7:36 AM

I would ask Swinney why he went under center when backed up against his own goal line...I thought "we do what we do". Seems inconsistent to me.

Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense

Oct 13, 2014, 7:38 AM

come on man. even a dweeb should know the answer to that. we do however need to use the under center thing more than we do.

Oct 13, 2014, 7:59 AM

Just using his own logic...

I think this is a fair question.

Oct 13, 2014, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

If you are in a situation where you need to get 1/2 yard, why is it different whether you are backed up to your own goal line or at your opponent's goal line. If going under center is the right move for the former, then in my opinion, it's the right move for the later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

"What we do" is not an explanation, it's a BS excuse.

Oct 13, 2014, 7:38 AM

VERY well analyzed. Great job David. Looking forward (as many will be) to hearing Chad's answers about short yardage offense. Both Chad and Dabo have said that "we do what we do" in those situations... at some point, one has to realize that "what we do" isn't exactly working.

Thank you for not lobbing softballs all the time for coaches... but having the intestinal fortitude to ask some tough questions.

Overall... kudos to the Tigers for a gutsy win.

BIG RAISE in order to the DC!!

Oct 13, 2014, 7:39 AM

Good comments on Cole. Watson did no better than Stout when he was in. At least CS kept us in position to win and we did. Hopefully the medical will shut the haters so Cole can do his job but I doubt it. They seem more concerned with stirring something up than the team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 9:56 AM

Does anyone recall the last offensive drive that at least ended up with points. And it was a drive, for a change. No question, lousy play calling at the end, but we did drive the ball. I might have gone for it on 4th and goal and left Louisville with the ball on their own 1 yard line, or us with a TD. So much can happen with a field goal attempt and a kickoff. But, I don't make a million $ a year for my thoughts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 8:03 PM

As Vince Dooly said one time to the President of ugay when he told Dooly, "I wouldn't have called that play on Saturday when you went for 2 points after that TD against Clemson"(they didn't make the conversion and lost by 1). Vince answered back saying, "I wouldn't have gone for 2 on Sat. either, if I'd had 3 days to think about it". Not sure what I would have done, but with a 6'4" QB, I believe I might have let him try to get behind center and guard and get the TD rather than running 5 yards for it against a DL who had held its own all night on the line of scrimmage. I'll bet Chad would call a different play today, too. Just saying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

I really think their D was gassed.

Was thinking same thing

Oct 13, 2014, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

DW was actually struggling. CS did fine given the circumstances.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 7:39 AM

Good comments on Cole. Watson did no better than Stout when he was in. At least CS kept us in position to win and we did. Hopefully the medical will shut the haters so Cole can do his job but I doubt it. They seem more concerned with stirring something up than the team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 3:53 PM

Cole did make a few mistakes but considering that had not practice the week before and played hurt, he gets a thumb up from me. The only real problem that had or have, is the bone head decision by the coaches.

Oct 13, 2014, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

"Haters?" What are you thinking? The D won this game.

Oct 13, 2014, 7:40 AM

it would be nice to see Clemson bring in the beef package on short yardage ala Stanford and run it straight at them on 4th and 1. If we are going to run it give us our best chance.

Spot on about Stout and Choice in the wildcat

Oct 13, 2014, 7:51 AM

Perfectly said about the class of CS vs some Clemson fans. Choice was an option QB in high school, how has it not crossed the coaches minds to not let him take snaps under center or in the shotgun. The offensive talent has carried Morris his whole time here, what DC has he just outcoached?. If and when he gets a head coaching job, I wish him the best but don't expect him to do too well. I can't lie, he has got us some recruits in here though.

Coach Morris' play calling has definitely been suspect....

Oct 13, 2014, 7:54 AM

quite a bit this season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Coach Morris' play calling has definitely been suspect....

Oct 13, 2014, 9:43 AM

based on some of Dabo's comments, I think he will have a little "heart to heart" with Sorris.

Oct 13, 2014, 8:13 AM

You will waste your time asking Morris anything about short yardage plays out of the shotgun. You will get the same cover answer you have already gotten. That is what Clemson does!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My question

Oct 13, 2014, 8:13 AM

Chad, Why didn't we run shotgun on final play?

Re: My question

Oct 13, 2014, 8:31 AM

Your right...I think we made an inch or two!

Re: My question

Oct 13, 2014, 8:51 AM [ in reply to My question ]

Precisely! I know we are backed up to the goal line but we easily got a yard on that play. It's obviously a play that Clemson "can" run! What's CM so scared of?

Oct 13, 2014, 8:17 AM

When you try something and it fails, and you try the same thing again expecting different results, this is foolish. I was expecting the first and goal to be a misdirection like the ohio state game...
Now that the glaring short yardage problem is obvious to everyone, hope we figure out some different options this week!
Our D effort was reminiscent of days gone by when our team relied on it weekly to win games. Great job!

Oct 13, 2014, 8:28 AM

Good points. I have been very excited to see this defense come together. We have the makings of a real championship football team with the defensive play I saw on Saturday. It is nerve-wracking to watch at times but oh so satisfying to see our guys stuff the ball at the goalline. Ben Bouleware was amazing this weekend.
When we win, you have to count your blessings. We had a lot of blessings to count on Saturday. I'll leave the Monday morning quarterbacking to the Louisville fans. They are the ones who are hurting and hating the coach this morning. Clemson has nothing to complain about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

be worried about Boston College

Oct 13, 2014, 8:37 AM

One thing for sure, the defense has to carry us Saturday...I have complete confidence in Cole Stoudt...I have lost all confidence in Morris' play calling. These guys are gonna be tough. Hope Venables' guys have some gas left in the tank, because we will see more of the same out of the offense...and, be prepared to watch the offensive line get slapped around also which Caldwell is left out of the conversation, but his contribution to the football program needs to be examined

Re: be worried about Boston College

Oct 13, 2014, 8:58 PM

Oh, but that would be politically incorrect.

Re: be worried about Boston College

Oct 14, 2014, 6:51 AM

Why are you so angry? If this is remotely enjoyable to you then hating on Cole Stout is the least of your problems. David was spot on in his story, some fans have hated on Cole. They have made comments that his family was asserting pressure on the coaches to play their boy. They have verbally abused him " F you Stoudt" comes to mind. They have made remarks about his hair and his "mandanna", pink no less, without coming out and saying it, they are making a crude attempt at humor at his expense. If you played football for 4 years then you better than most of us should understand this isn't right. I would never question your love or loyalty to Clemson because I don't know you except for your seemingly angry, never ending rants. Anger stems from powerlessness and we as fans are and always will be powerless over the outcome of a game. So, why not sit back and enjoy this for what it is, great college football. Just my thoughts.

Oct 13, 2014, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

Agreed on all points!

Just one question, and I'm not asking it because I'm trying to be smart. Deshaun Watson stiff-armed the Louisville player with his throwing arm. Should he not be carrying the ball with his throwing arm and doing the stiff-arm with the other? At least a broken bone in his non-throwing hand doesn't shelve him for 4-5 weeks. Just curious.

Other points, the snap over center needs to be worked out and DW needs to make sure to heave it out of bounds when pressured. He's young and will learn.

Re: DW's stiff-arm

Oct 13, 2014, 1:00 PM

The defender was coming at him from his right, so when running the ball you always keep the ball away from the defender's side. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of Morris' quarterback running plays. Just asking for injury eventually, which is obviously what happened Saturday. Most QBs aren't built like Tajh the Tank, who was the definition of durable. Watson & Stoudt should either sprint out of bounds or SLIDE to avoid contact after QB runs, IMO.

Oct 13, 2014, 1:03 PM

Good point. Thanks!

Oct 13, 2014, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: DW's stiff-arm ]

Or, heaven forbid, get in the weight room.

My issues with Stoudt

Oct 13, 2014, 8:39 AM

First of all, I like the kid. He is gutsy, no doubt. 2 things that if he could improve, I think would elevate his game, but I'm no coach.
1. clock management. should have not taken that sack at the end of the first half. Freshman mistake from a senior.
2. He's locked in on a receiver before snap. does not progress to other reads. when that guy is open, great, but many times threw into bad situations when other guys were wide open.

But all in all, I think this week in practice will improve his play for a win over the Notre Dame wannabes this weekend.

Re: My issues with Stoudt

Oct 13, 2014, 11:13 PM

Well, with all due respect, he really hasn't had an abundance of time with which to check other reads. Our OL has not exactly been abundantly protective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 8:45 AM

My frustration with some comments this weekend came from people who never played high school or college sports. They are arm chair coaches. For those of us who have played at all levels other than pro will tell you that Cole Stoudt is what college sports is about. A kid who has given everything to the program and did not practice last week and managed a win,and he did not pull a Chad Kelly when he lost his job. So tiger fans, fate has brought Cole Stoudt to the forefront again. In my opinion, the defense will become significant again in Clemson history along with special teams. Clemson will not score as many points, but neither will their opponents. They will have challenges as expected with BC, Georgia Tech, and USC. Get used to 3 and 7 point wins because they are coming. The 10-2 record gets the Tigers to the Orange Bowl against Notre Dame. That would BE the post season match up with Watson back. Tiger fans--take a deep breath and enjoy rest of the season.

Oct 13, 2014, 8:48 AM

please do not bring common sense and facts to this board. fabulous post.

This is wisdom***

Oct 13, 2014, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Oct 13, 2014, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Short-yardage issues, Ben Boulware and ACC defense ]

I did play football for four years. So, don't assume anything.

time for Crump to show some class, and

Oct 13, 2014, 8:49 AM

Banhammer the SOB's who use TNET as their arrogance bully-pulpit. This has been going on too long.

It's one thing to decry poor play or wish for a better result -

it's entirely another to call for the heads of coaches and players on a weekly basis, year-in and year-out regardless the results.

Give 'em hell, Cole.

This game was a beautiful win... In years past this was a

Oct 13, 2014, 9:15 AM

game we would have lost. The Tigers found a way to win on Saturday when the starting QB was hurt, the O couldn't score a TD, even on first and goal on two separate drives, we weren't sure if our kicker could hit clutch field goals, and our head coach put the D in a really bad situation giving Louisville a short field after a terrible 4th and 1 call. Yes, this was definitely a win. The defense has grown up and doesn't quit. That was obvious from Kearse's great tackle to the goal line stand. As bad as things were going Saturday, this team never quit.

I agree whole heartedley...

Oct 13, 2014, 10:15 AM

Great programs find a way to win. Those that are old enough to attend and remember the late 90s FSU games know with I am referring. It didn't seem to matter how well we played, they just found a way to win (emphasis 17-14 loss in 1999). There is no such thing as an ugly victory.

Re: This game was a beautiful win... In years past this was a

Oct 13, 2014, 11:17 PM [ in reply to This game was a beautiful win... In years past this was a ]

My friend, you have found the pony buried under the pile of ----! Most on here won't look that carefully, especially if there is something good to find.

i can't fault cole stoudt, except to say that he is not

Oct 13, 2014, 9:22 AM

as good as watson. that's not his fault. he's just not as good. but he seems like a good kid who is giving his all for the team. that said, the last play of the first half was bone-headed. he should have gotten rid of the ball and salvaged a field goal out of the drive. live and learn, hopefully.

at QB, our bed is made. we've got to go with what we've got until watson is healthy. and i hope they don't rush him back. make sure he's fully healed before he sees the field again. we need him badly the next 2 years. it does kind of sting now that chad kelly didn't pan out, but oh well.

the short yardage play calling has become embarrassing. we all know it, so there's not much else to say. it's just flat out terrible. dabo needs to challenge morris to fix it. the inability to score very nearly cost us this game. and what's up with going for it on 4th down on our own end of the field in a defensive struggle type game? poor decision by the coaches.

the defense played great, but they did give up some big plays. i guess that's going to happen. thank goodness kearse ran their WR down. is smith the weak link in the secondary?

boulware played great. i wish he was a little bigger. lol

humphries finally broke one and actually looked better overall. i still wouldn't mind getting more of a playmaker back there. props too lakip for making his kicks.

there were a couple of significant dropped balls too. hopper and williams both had drops.

jordan leggett: i like him! i liked the way he caught a ball along the sideline and looked to make contact rather than run out of bounds! i'd like to see him used more, but i realize we have a lot of potential targets out there.

good win. ugly win. sucks losing watson. hope he'll be back healthy by the georgia state game. next week is going to be a tough one at BC. go tigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

are coaches finally ready to put the QB under center when

Oct 13, 2014, 9:24 AM

needing just inches???????????????????????????????????

Re: are coaches finally ready to put the QB under center when

Oct 13, 2014, 11:21 PM

It is almost all is about the OL.

Oct 13, 2014, 9:26 AM

This is really a good piece. I love this coaching staff and am patient with Dabo becoming a head coach. But his decision to go for it on the fourth down play in this type of game was idiotic. Out defense was controlling the game with a seven point lead, and he put their backs to the wall. Did we learn nothing in the Georgia game.
Venables has done an incredible job with this team. The goal line stand was a thing of beauty and reminiscent of Ford days.
I hate to lose him but hope he gets a shot to be a head coach after this season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have privately bashed Cole myself

Oct 13, 2014, 9:28 AM

Not on message boards or facebook, etc., but he has done everything right. He is a Clemson man and he does not deserve the harsh criticism he has received. We as a fan base get spoiled sometimes and lose site of the big picture. This is a game played by young men that are doing the best that they can. Cole made some good throws and played with heart. He has a desire to win and represents Clemson very well.

I know I will support him, and I hope that the rest of the fans will as well!

Oct 13, 2014, 9:31 AM

Great article, DH. It's not Stoudt's fault he isn't as gifted as DW, but he's no slouch and he needs our support. The QB runs need to stop. Not because he can't run, but where will we be if HE gets hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dittos!!!

Oct 13, 2014, 9:45 AM

Simple answer, but your points well made!

Oct 13, 2014, 9:58 AM

I don't agree with being in the gun on short yardage situations such as 3 and 1 or 4th and 1 etc but I do understand that it is what we do and is our philosophy. Again I don't agree with it but there is logic in the thought process.

However, there is absolutely no logic whatsoever in lining up in the gun when you have a 1st and goal or 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line. You cannot point to a study or any evidence that says you score more touchdowns, a higher percentage of the time, lining up in the gun in that situation as opposed to lining up under center and running 2/3/4 qb sneaks.

Football is a game of percentages and the higher percentage route against good teams is to get under center and sneak it until you score.

Oct 13, 2014, 11:13 AM

absolutely loved what you said about Stoudt! I particularly love the part about him going about his business. He prob knows that he is not playing great football right now, but he has been a team player for 4 years and was determined to finish the game Saturday despite feeling some pain. I applaud him for his great attitude and I hope that he can play tough as nails again Saturday and connect with Mike Williams and Jordan Leggett early and often!

Great other points as well!

We tried choice in short yardage

Oct 13, 2014, 11:25 AM

Vs fsu, how did that workout?

Re: We tried choice in short yardage

Oct 13, 2014, 11:35 AM

When we tried Choice in short yardage situations, WE PULLED A GUARD! You cannot PULL A GUARD in short yardage. Everyone on the D is shooting a gap. That makes no sence to me. Saturday with 2nd and 6 inches, the D stacked up on the line, we pulled Webster. I don't get it.

What about the last play before halftime?

Oct 13, 2014, 11:59 AM

Why did he not throw the ball away?

Oct 13, 2014, 12:40 PM

Stoudt is our man for the moment. Stop the BS and get behind him and our team. The DEFENSE was out standing. Let's hope that the offense can pull it together for a complete game this weekend. GO TIGERS

Oct 13, 2014, 12:47 PM

Said it once and will continue to say it. QB under center with a beast from defense or Offense in the back field in front of RB. Hand ball to RB and let the beast clear a hole for RB to gain a yard. Many opportunities to get a yard or score. Defense stacks the line and running back can run behind guard or tackle or follow the beast up the middle AKA Danny Ford trickery play with the Perry brothers. Get rid of shotgun in short yardage and rugby style punts. We all saw what that rugby style punt did Sat. Finally caught up with us and they got the ball 1st and 10 at midfield.

Re:

Oct 13, 2014, 1:16 PM

Stoudt clearly brings a drop in level of play, with his reads and elusivity. Too bad that he's keeping the ball for runs - are these reads or coach's calls? Not really sure. I hope they're not reads. If they aren't reads, then shame on the coaches for calling him to run the ball. If they are reads, then shame on him.

The biggest challenge an athlete has sometimes is to know their limits, and play within those limits. "If you're a Ford, be the best Ford you can be. But don't try to be a Lincoln." I just have a problem if an athlete tries to play outside of his limits, and I respect and admire those who stay within theirs. I was a basketball player, and one time tried to be like Julius Erving, and that didn't work out at all. The coach rightfully chewed me out.

As far as "Everywhere Boulware", he wasn't "Unsung". It was evident to everyone he was playing top flight, and he's received due respect and recognition many times over in articles and comments. Most could see (or hear, during the radio call) that he was playing great.

Hard-fought win felt like a win to me. Next man up. Go Cole!

Oct 13, 2014, 2:59 PM

Two good teams played their hearts out. Good to get a win.

It stinks that Watson got hurt. Really stinks for the team and for Watson. He's just an incredible talent. But that's football. Next man up. Clemson will likely be favored in every game on the schedule (except maybe SCAR) with Stoudt at the helm. It's Cole's time to shine.

Re: Hard-fought win felt like a win to me. Next man up. Go Cole!

Oct 13, 2014, 7:44 PM

Great post Razz! TU for that one. I concur completely. I was a little hard on Cole on Sat., but I didn't realize the injury bothering him. He fought through it, and I do believe he figured out a few things in the end. Hats off to the defensive effort of the Tigers and to their defense as well. Both teams played like warriors, and nobody quit. Great effort! Also, I hope we learn some things from the contest as well.

Best Postgame Analysis yet! Good job!***

Oct 13, 2014, 3:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 3:42 PM

I'm sur

Oct 13, 2014, 3:44 PM

Well said. Especially defending Cole. His performance was gutsy. Didn't like some decisions from a Sr. QB, but still, spot on.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 3:58 PM

This morning on the radio, someone mentioned that the running success that we had at the end was due to straight up blocking, no pulling lineman. If that's us true, that would be a change that I would make immediately.

Oct 13, 2014, 5:14 PM

Great article... I share you concerns and I totally agree about Cole. he deserves a lot credit with his play on Saturday. Haters need to shut up.

Oct 13, 2014, 5:37 PM

CM and DS must not have gotten the memo that the best defense is coming up in few weeks.

Signed

The Chief Seminole
Jimbo

Oct 13, 2014, 9:18 PM

I guess David Hood didn't choose to respond to my response to his ill-advised attack on
CU fans. Come on David, I'm waiting to hear your response. Bring it on.

Replies: 80
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic