Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody

Jan 4, 2018, 8:01 AM

Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody

In the moments immediately following Alabama’s throttling of Clemson in the Sugar Bowl, co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott took ownership of the offensive miscues. While it begins and ends with the coaching staff, Elliott said the blame can be shared with every person – coach and player – who had a hand in the product that was seen in the 2017 College Football Playoff semifinal. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who the heck does this Tony elliot dude think he is

Jan 4, 2018, 8:24 AM

The tnet experts have already declared it is Dabo's fault for playing Stoudt instead of Watson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Who the heck does this Tony elliot dude think he is

Jan 4, 2018, 9:03 AM

Ahhh, well wasn't he, but I didn't have a serious problem with that, my problem was that the HC didn't stand fast that the OC was to design the offense to fit Cole Stoudt's QB skills. Cole did have good shills and he was talented, but he wasn't a duel threat QB, but he could move around in the pocket with a pretty accurate arm. If an OC can scheme a game plan for duel threat QB, sure he should be able to scheme a plan for a drop back pocket passer, but CM never attempted a game plan for Cole!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody

Jan 4, 2018, 8:41 AM

To all you Cain defenders, straight from the Tony’s mouth: that early 3rd down drop was massive. If he does come back (I sincerely hope he doesn’t), he should be second string. You could maybe convince me he should start at another WR position... if KB isn’t the starter throwing ducks out there that require effort and finishing on the part of our WR (which btw is why HR and RRMIII has some success this year - two guys who do fight for balls). But if KB is the starter, gotta have go getter WR cuz you’re gonna have a lot of 50/50 balls by nature of KB’s skillset

So our offensive staff is right about "a third down drop"

Jan 4, 2018, 8:48 AM

whatever ever that "right" is, but wrong about the personnel on the field?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am Cain defender. Always will be as long as he

Jan 4, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

Keeps following the rules.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody

Jan 4, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

Agree. I said the same to my family driving back that even though the INT and penalty setup a TD for them, the Cain drop on that play killed our chances of answering that first mistake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Cain call the 3 plays that lost 5 yards after Bama's

Jan 4, 2018, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

fumble?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did Cain call the 3 plays that lost 5 yards after Bama's

Jan 4, 2018, 4:28 PM

I agree ! Deon Cain's drop didn't lose the game for us . The offensive line was not READY to match the intensity of Bama's DL ...PURE AND SIMPLE . Deon Cain TURNED the National Championship game around with that catch and run he made... which finally got our offense going in that game. I guess everyone forgets that now.

Careful Nikki, "Alabama's throttling of Clemson" isn't...

Jan 4, 2018, 8:44 AM

happy, happy, joy, joy and could lead to some anxious reactions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Physicality

Jan 4, 2018, 9:03 AM

I think what surprised me the most was how much more physical Alabama was than us. That changes now in the off season. Coach Batson and his staff must get to work! We will be back...hopefully bigger, faster, stronger! Go Tigers!

Jan 4, 2018, 9:05 AM

How many times have we been told the same thing
"We knew they were going to load the box
and force us to pass come after our QB"

How many times does it take to admit knowing something
before you really admit knowing and doing something to
correct it
1st play called Run up the middle
5 on OL being asked to block 7 on "D"
By now everyone who has seen the Tigers play
knows or OL either don't know how to or can not
run block
Over the years we always here the so-called experts
say our Tigers OL can't knock anyone off of the LS
Great Coaches know what plays to call to give the players
they have a better chance to get positive yardage not
just call a play they want to run
Dabo was seen showing he was not pleased with some of
the plays called
Knowing and doing nothing to change it is why
we're talking about it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 10:47 AM

I know you are going to think I’m crazy but IMO the mvp of this game was Alabama’s special team. Did you notice they never kicked the ball in the end zone and that forced us to return the ball. I believe Alabama saw something in our special teams they thought they could exploit and they did. Our field position most of the night was terrible therefore limiting us in our play calling so Alabama knew that we had to run the ball. If we were ever going to do anything offensively and get in some type of rhythm we had to open the playbook but could not ( would not) because of field position. I wonder how things would have turned out if we got the ball at the 25 yard line rather than the 15 yard line?
Maybe no different but certainly it would of helped. By the way our defense was as advertised. I felt they dominated the line of scrimmage. If it were not for them the score would have been much worse at half time maybe out of reach.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:09 AM

> I know you are going to think I’m crazy but IMO the
> mvp of this game was Alabama’s special team. Did you
> notice they never kicked the ball in the end zone and
> that forced us to return the ball. I believe Alabama
> saw something in our special teams they thought they
> could exploit and they did. Our field position most
> of the night was terrible therefore limiting us in
> our play calling so Alabama knew that we had to run
> the ball. If we were ever going to do anything
> offensively and get in some type of rhythm we had to
> open the playbook but could not ( would not) because
> of field position. I wonder how things would have
> turned out if we got the ball at the 25 yard line
> rather than the 15 yard line?
> Maybe no different but certainly it would of helped.
> By the way our defense was as advertised. I felt they
> dominated the line of scrimmage. If it were not for
> them the score would have been much worse at half
> time maybe out of reach.

Not crazy at all. They had us when they hit us in the mouth on the opening kick. Then the drop certainly didn't help, but were the Bama defenders in Cain's head? I hope Cain comes back with a chip on his shoulder.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:44 AM

Agreed. Hope he doesn’t go pro don’t think he is ready

Jan 4, 2018, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

I agree Bama made us run the kicks back and were waiting . However, that does NOT mean you can't move the ball . Our offensive line wasn't ready for the BAMA DL with an attitude . Plus , our play calling played right into the Bama scheme. The middle of the field was open and it showed how much we MISSED Jorden Leggett. We didn't have a TE to get behind their rushing LBs who were focused on stopping the run and pressuring Kelly Bryant. Poor offensive game plan , nothing new or unique , too timid to get us out of the bad field position. Then add in poor kicking and you have Alabama getting the ball at the 40-50yard line every time.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

What are you talking about? We man handled people all year last year with our OL. We blew Bama off the line in last year's championship game.

This year there were 2 teams who gave us trouble on the OL, Bama and NC St. Both teams have a ton of NFL talent between them.

Sometimes the other guy is just better, they just beat us because their defensive front was better than our OL. Simple as that. Doesn't mean we have a garbage OL.

Jan 5, 2018, 6:12 PM

??? Never said we had a garbage OL . I said we weren't ready for the Bama DL that was fired up to make a statement. When your defense gives you the ball at the 20 yard line and you can't get it in the end zone much of that falls on your OL ...pure and simple. We never blocked the left DE much of the night and he caused the first interception. Some of the problems were coverage and indecision on Kelly Bryant but it certainly was not all on Kelly Bryant. The running game NEVER got going , it's not all the OL fault but much of the fact were stalled all night was to not controlling the line of scrimmage.

Jan 4, 2018, 9:25 AM

I think it's time for a change at OC. Our duo proved that they don't know how to make changes in the game to adjust to the defense. We LET bama make us one dimensional, and at that point it was game over. Dabo change the DC after the embarrassment with WVU, and it's time to do the same thing again on the offense. Just IMO. Go Tigers. Oh, and bench Cain. If he thinks he's pro material I wish him luck. He cost us big time with his drops in this game. Nothing new there though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 9:35 AM

Not just the two drops, but he was out fought for the ball on the pick six. Man, at least knock it down and avoid a huge turnover.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

I certainly agree the game plan wasn't good, and that we didn't adjust.

But to say that our duo proved they aren't capable of winning is idiotic given the results we've had in the recent years. One bad game doesn't discredit all of those wins.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 10:16 AM

^^ well said.

The offense exceeded expectations on the season and faltered against Bama in the Sugar Bowl. Yes, the O should have performed better in the SB, but good Lord, we'd be stupid to change OCs.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:29 AM

OK, keep the 2 OC's. That decision will be Dabo's. You see what Saban did last year with Lane Kiffin when he didn't like what he was doing. And look what he has now as an OC. Just saying. Did out offense get better or worse as the year went on? Compared to someone like UGA, with a true freshman QB, I don't see the progress for us. But, hey, 12 - 2. Whose fussing?

Jan 4, 2018, 12:10 PM

Really? You realize Kiffen did amazing at Bama right? You saw what happened to them after he left prior to the championship?

You act like his offense was spectacular or something, the scored off their defense forcing turnovers it's not like they sustained drives.

Their passing game is actually worse than ours was over the course of the season, so no, it's not like Saban has some Godly OC while we have two ######### on the sidelines.

After the USuCk and Miami games people were clamoring over the offensive improvements, but just because we lost to Bama now it's "the whole season they were terrible, no improvements, incompetent.."

Just shut the hell up and get over the loss, it was one game and we will be back. Just because something goes wrong doesn't mean there has to be someone to blame for it.

Jan 4, 2018, 4:18 PM

You certainly have every right to your opinions, just as I have to mine. But you have no right to tell me to shut the #$%$ up. At my age I have earned the right to express my thoughts on T'net along with everyone else. If you don't like what you read here then get a subscription to The State.

Jan 4, 2018, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

Why do people keep using Georgia as an example for a freshman qb? Fromm is a much much better qb than KB is, and it’s not even close. That’s why they were able to have the success they had this year, not from better coaching or something crazy like that.

Jan 4, 2018, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

If we don't come up with better coaching schemes and play calling as well as adjusting during game we will never be as good as we should be. OC are great guys but not offensive minded to get the best out of our talent.

Jan 4, 2018, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

The CB had his hand on Cain's outside shoulder and maybe he couldn't turn into the ball. You could only see it on the reverse side camera. They got away with a lot more than we did.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

Cain has dropped critical passes his whole career. Passes that hit him in the hands.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 10:11 AM

He also caught numerous critical passes his whole career. Passes that hit him in the hands.

Jan 4, 2018, 7:35 PM

Yep but he has rarely caught any passes that were slightly off center of his hands. No real fight, he is not a dog when it comes to the football. He wants it politely placed in his hands. Smh man I miss Mike!

Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody***

Jan 4, 2018, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

Jan 7, 2018, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

If receivers were benched for dropping passes, Clemson wouldn't have an active receiver period. Neither would any Collage team. If not for the defense, Clemson would be 8 and 5 at best. Clemson has the best skilled players in the Country. Knowing what to do with them is the problem.

Jan 4, 2018, 9:41 AM

I think dwelling on the past will not help the situation any. Let's just move on and prepare for this season! Talking about who did what and who did not do that, does not help, it only keeps what happen on Monday night fresh in the heads of the team! A loss is a loss, and personally myself, I am waiting for the arrival of the new ones to see what they can bring to the table. I really think this year, Clemson WILL redeem themselves back to where they need to be. Everyone is to blame, but they have to move on from this to get past this! What's done is done and we can not go back and replay the game, let's just hope that Georgia do what Clemson was suppose to do to Alabama, that is to WIN! Then our just dessert WILL be served!!!!!!! Keep our fingers cross that GA rule the field on Monday night, I'm betting on GA!!!!!!!!! GO TIGERS!!!! GO BULL DOGS!!!!!!!!

Jan 4, 2018, 10:22 AM

I agree we need to get to work on next year and only look back for the purpose of learning what can be done better. As far as redeeming back to where we need to be - we made the playoffs in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. All you Debbie Downers need to understand this year was a SUCCESS! We are one of the top 4 teams and programs in the nation and will be right there again next year.
As far as Monday night. I’m all in with the Tide. Better for us if the team we lost to becomes the eventual champions and I just believe Bama has the better team/coach/program/fans than UGA. Just for one night - Roll Tide.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:37 AM

Excuse me, I did not know you were a Tide fan?! They think that they are suppose to be in the Championship spotlight every year, then maybe some team needs to let them see that it is not all about Bama every year. They were out for revenge at all cost! If you are a die hard fan, then maybe, just maybe you would want them to feel how it felt to lose again! So you were pulling for the Tide? GO TIGERS!!!! GO BULL DOGS!!!!

Jan 4, 2018, 2:28 PM

I’m a 1984 graduate, and my daughter was a mascot (cub) for 3 years. And yes I was in the Superdome Monday night as I have been for all postseason games the last 3 years. So yea, I consider myself a pretty diehard fan. But I do understand that we were outplayed by Bama Monday night. So I hope they run the Bullpuppies out of Atlanta next week. Because Clemson looks better with a big Bama win and a UGA win will hurt Clemson’s final ranking. If you’re pulling for UGA are you a diehard Clemson fan?

Jan 4, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

I agree; but one observation. It seemed pretty clear that UGA, OU, and Bama came to their games with new wrinkles, gadgets, what have you (think the fleaflicker; the DaRon Payne touchdown). As far as I could tell, Clemson game-planned nothing like that. If I'm right, it's a bit counfounding, since even I knew what Alabama was going to do on defense (and I was right).

Jan 4, 2018, 7:10 PM

Absolutely right. We had trick plays against us all year and we never attempted any. Our offensive coaches never come up with new wrinkles or keep the defense guessing. It's the same old thing expecting different results. Our game plans are non-existant. We are so predictable.

Jan 5, 2018, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

I agree that we gave no new looks to the Alabama defense. We ran our same standard offense but with many of our great receivers gone to the NFL as well as an all WORLD QB ..#4 DW. They played TIGHT man to man and tried to take Hunter Renfrow out of the game even though he still made some GREAT catches. Alabama had weeks to get ready for us and we gave them nothing NEW to defense. We NEVER stretched the field and made them cover down field . Even Todd Blackledge talked about we never made them cover more of the field.

Jan 4, 2018, 9:55 AM

From a fans perspective, it appeared that no one was prepared for this game from the coaching staff to the players. While all Tiger fans should be proud of the effort and productivity this season, this should be a lasting lesson learned by the players and coaches. If you want to run with the big dogs, you can't just live on last season's success. If ANY player or coach does not have the discipline to compete at the highest level, there will NEVER be another national champion crowned in Clemson!

Jan 4, 2018, 9:57 AM

Take a chill pill, we will be fine.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:25 AM

^^^^^^^Amen to that^^^^^^

Jan 4, 2018, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

Well said...

Dear Tony (and the rest of the staff and players)

Jan 4, 2018, 10:24 AM

Since 2015 the football team is 40 - 4. In the past 3 years in descending order of importance...

1. Beaten USuC three straight years. Since I live in Cootlumbia this helps me out a lot... Thanks
2. Won three straight ACC championships. Thanks
3. Won Clemson the first national championship since 1981. Thanks

if anyone is upset about Clemson losing to Alabama in the playoffs they need to get a life. It would have been nice to win, but it isn't like Clemson was playing Michigan...

Again, thank you and the rest of the staff and players for best 3 years any Clemson fan could wish for.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: Dear Tony (and the rest of the staff and players)

Jan 4, 2018, 10:25 AM

We'll get em next year

Re: Dear Tony (and the rest of the staff and players)

Jan 4, 2018, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Dear Tony (and the rest of the staff and players) ]

And as Coach Swinney says - The Best Is Yet to Come!!!!’

I for one am a believer!!!!!!

So State Champ > ACC Champ > NC????***

Jan 4, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Dear Tony (and the rest of the staff and players) ]

For all the browbeating of T-Netters who questioned Offense

Jan 4, 2018, 10:49 AM

game planning and strategy through the year against lesser competition, many predicted all season that Bama would throttle Clemson's Offense without strategic and tactical changes. In fact, this is exactly what happened. Live and learn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being right about that brings NO joy whatsoever...I hoped we

Jan 4, 2018, 12:07 PM

would be proven wrong

Bad day at the office, but...3 ACC championships, 3 CFPs, 2

Jan 4, 2018, 11:28 AM

National Championship Games, & 1 National Championship.

Oh, and the most wins of any senior class in ACC history.

Not bad.

We'll be back.

The Best is Yet to Come!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's clear that the coaches are not availing themselves

Jan 4, 2018, 11:49 AM

of the advice here on TigerNet. We'd be playing in the NC again if they'd just let us help. >:/

The playcalling and gameplan were just horrible...The kids

Jan 4, 2018, 12:02 PM

are going to drop a pass or two or miss a block here or there, that is just part of the game...Lord knows Bama dropped a catchable ball or two and missed a block here and there, but they had a real gameplan and we appeared to only have a collection of plays...Very predictable plays...Like belly option on 1st or looking for Hunter on 3rd down...Or having everybody lined up on one side and shifting the blockers for the QB runs...If I can call it on the couch, you know Bama sees it too...And as has been already mentioned, there appeared to be NO plan B...I hope the NEXT time we get in this situation, we are better prepared, because our offensive staff looked in over their heads on Monday night.

Re: The playcalling and gameplan were just horrible...The kids

Jan 4, 2018, 7:15 PM

Agree totally!!

Jan 4, 2018, 9:15 PM

Play calling was bad, but so is the match up. We did well with the tools on offense we had, but they were not enough to beat Bama. DW4, MW, and Leggett were game changers. KB scrambled into trouble more than once; DW4 scrambled out of it many times in both games. I think TL has that same game changer quality, but we will have to wait and see.

The D did its job, and should still be stout next season. The future is still bright.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:20 PM

I think HJ and CB have that same quality that you see in TL. We are fine at QB for the foreseeable future. If KB improves significantly over the off-season then all the more so.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The playcalling and gameplan were just horrible...The kids ]

Play calling was bad, but so is the match up. We did well with the tools on offense we had, but they were not enough to beat Bama. DW4, MW, and Leggett were game changers. KB scrambled into trouble more than once; DW4 scrambled out of it many times in both games. I think TL has that same game changer quality, but we will have to wait and see.

The D did its job, and should still be stout next season. The future is still bright.

Jan 4, 2018, 9:17 PM

opps

Here is what REALLY concerns me ... and the Coach nails it!

Jan 5, 2018, 8:46 PM [ in reply to The playcalling and gameplan were just horrible...The kids ]

when he says
1) we need to find ways to get guys into space.
2) We need to get the ball out quick
3) We need to make adjustments in protections
4) We need to figure out run schemes.

So, where was this thinking before the game? We should have been working on these things before the game and at half time. We seemed totally unprepared to play a smothering defense. I have a hard time blaming the players, even a player dropping a pass. The blame has to sit squarely with the coaches. Now, Dabo needs to fix it. I know our offensive coordinators are good people, good recruiters, and friends of Dabo. BUT is it time too hold our two offensive coordinators accountable?

Message was edited by: Tiger_Fan_007®

Re: Here is what REALLY concerns me ... and the Coach nails it!

Jan 7, 2018, 4:28 PM

Amen brother!

Can anyone recall a single play all night where we left a

Jan 4, 2018, 12:19 PM

backside DE unblocked that got positive yards? Those plays (most KB keepers) were a disaster. Granted most of our other plays were a disaster too, but those just never had any chance of working. Unblocked DE was making the tackle in the backfield every single time.

We frequently make the wrong read on the read option as well

Jan 4, 2018, 12:22 PM

and yet we still call it

Re: We frequently make the wrong read on the read option as well

Jan 4, 2018, 10:25 PM

The continued calling of read-option plays is a real head-scratcher for me. It's obviously not KB's strength.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can anyone recall a single play all night where we left a

Jan 4, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Can anyone recall a single play all night where we left a ]

That’s no different than what happened all year.

I feel like it's just way too slow. It's one thing to leave

Jan 4, 2018, 3:29 PM

the play side end unblocked and read off of him, but if you are going to leave the backside guy unblocked that has no responsibility other than to get into the backfield, you better run something that develops quickly.

Jan 4, 2018, 1:47 PM

What i do not understand is Elliott's comments, paraphrased, 'we knew we were going to be tested and their (bama) hair would be on fire. We just needed to survive the storm...', why weren't we the ones hitting them in the mouth and see if Bama could survive the initial onslaught?

Also, i really HATE this becaues i live in Atlanta, but Georgia was down by 14 at half. Their defense stepped up enough and their offense turned the game around in the second half. We were actually much worse in the 2nd half than the 1st. I put that on our coaches and as it appeared their inability to as Elliott said 'find a way to help them (our players)'.

As the national announcers, TigerNet and even Rubbing the Rock reporters (heck it seems everyone but our coaches know) that if you stop Clemson's running attack and have to make KB beat you by throwing it, you will beat Clemson. That is what Bama did last year, but DW was able to put the Tigers on his back and throw the ball to victory. KB just doesn't have the passing skill to do that. If he is the starter next year, we may get back to the CFP again, but we will see a 1st round exit like this year.

And for those that say hey 12 wins, an ACC Championship and opportunity to play the the CFPs is good enough, i say that Clemson is paying Dabo +$7m to do more than that. AL is not happy with anything else than a national championship, why should we? Also, did you see Saban's comments that he and Bama players took last year's loss personally and they spent this year determined to set things right? Hopefully Dabo and the team will do likewise next year. Go Tigers!

Don’t even try to compare the Ga/Ok game to ours.

Jan 7, 2018, 4:38 PM

OK. defense vs Bama’s is like high school to college.

Jan 8, 2018, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott says blame for Sugar Bowl's offensive woes shared by everybody ]

Excellent points. Ditto.

Re: Obvious afterthoughts

Jan 4, 2018, 2:01 PM

It was obvious from the start that Bama was not going to pay any attention to the short fake hand off from KB. Their intent was to get to his asap and throw off any flow possible. Alabama had so much time to plan and prepare they knew the patterns. Without the threat of a Tight End to stretch the field hurt also. Seems to me that KB consistently under throws the receivers on deep patterns where they are having to slow up and wait on the ball. You can see where Clemson receivers would beat their coverage almost every time. I don't know if its something as simple as him letting go of the ball a little bit sooner or what. Was disappointed in offensive line. They got mashed on almost every play. I know one is wanting to go pro but if Alabama can school you consistently then you might want to stay in college and perfect your craft more. Was surprised the plan was not to run Alabama sideline to sideline. In the end it was Alabama with a chip on their shoulder and the intent was to inflict pain from the kickoff. They never stopped with this all night. case in point was not allowing Clemson to score a touchdown to embarrass. Highlight though for me is to always beat the "chickens" and to continue that trend.

Jan 4, 2018, 5:07 PM

I think we just got beat by a better team.

Jan 4, 2018, 7:19 PM

We got beat by a better coached team and PAC-12 officials.

Our defense showed up with a lot of heart and no quit!

Jan 4, 2018, 7:47 PM

Too bad the OL, WR's, and the OC's did not make the same effort to win. I watched this game with my DVR handy and it was unbelievable how many times the OL let someone come free to dump poor Kelly B. What was even more surprising to me was that left side of our line was almost as bad as the right. I watched #75 attempt a cut block on the DE and the DE just sidestepped the poor attempt and the DE stepped on 75 to knock down the pass. The DE should have been on the ground or pushed back.. some. Later I saw 75 wave at a defender as he blew by him. I saw the right tackle line up with a defender right in front of him and with the snap, he turned left to help the RG and let this rusher come in untouched. This happened way too often.
Very frustrating to see our Tigers unprepared for the stacked line which forced us to pass. Where are those quick passes and roll outs, etc to keep them honest?
This is my first and only post about this game but yes the OL was ill prepared and needed a chip on their shoulder, Cain dropping passes did not help, Kelly B not able to lead the receivers turned many passes into 50/50 balls, and the timid, non aggressive play calling hurt as much as anything. However, the play of the defense was great and they should be proud of the effort and the stops they made even while being on the field twice as often as they should have been. The defense gets an A from me but the OL and WR's, and OC all get D's and I'm being generous.
I think we'll be much better on the offense next year so...keep pushing, keep improving!
Now I am forgetting this game and moving on to basketball and baseball...Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 10:43 PM

Can I ask a silly question, has anyone ever wonder why Overton doesn't get more opportunities to make catches and take the top of defense down field or in the red zone or back shoulder in corner end zone type plays . Watch his hudl highlights , he can high point the ball just as good as Tee #5. after all he was the backup behind Deon on the depth chart coming out of camp. Just something to think about , never could figure out why in 12 games he only had 12 reception (catchable ball) when he wasn't being overthrown at 6'5 with vertical to dunk with ease. He was quote by the OC as being the most improved after the spring camp . Hmmmmmmmmm smh.

Jan 7, 2018, 4:32 PM

Coaching... plain and simple. Need a new OC comparable to defensive savvy Brent Venables.

Jan 7, 2018, 4:33 PM

really. you mean those coaches that went 40-4 the last 3 years. those coaches. where do they find you people

40-4 is what makes these coots post stupid comments.***

Jan 7, 2018, 4:42 PM

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic