Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

New Story: Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better

Jul 20, 2016, 8:01 AM

Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better

Danny Pearman didn’t hold anything back Tuesday when talking about Clemson’s special teams, and he said the coaching staff has owned up to the issues and that the entire group will be better in 2017. But he also said that things weren’t quite as bad last season as people thought. (Photo by Mark Crammer) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no offense coach but our ranking

Jul 20, 2016, 8:02 AM

In special teams sucked. What was it 107 out of 114 teams???

Re: no offense coach but our ranking

Jul 20, 2016, 9:32 AM

That's just an example of making an excuse when the grade comes back as a FAIL, and nobody wanting the index finger pointing in their direction. Commenting on what very little good that existed with our Special teams was just that, very little. Over commenting on what little was good, just say, yes it was bad and we're working on getting it fixed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no offense coach but our ranking

Jul 20, 2016, 1:58 PM [ in reply to no offense coach but our ranking ]

That is just plain crazy.
What part of special teams were they ranking? How can you rank special teams overall?
I mean there are so many different parts, like field goals made, extra points made, yards per kickoff return, per punt return, how many yards given up on kickoff and punt returns, and so on. How do you rank all of that and say Clemson was 107 out of 114, especially when there are 128 division one teams?
Like Coach Pearman said, we were okay at some things bad at others and even actually good at some.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a well known stat guy's attempt

Jul 20, 2016, 2:15 PM

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/1/7/10725318/college-football-special-teams-ratings

He has Clemson at 96th overall but 27th weighted (he weights FG Net Value as 44% of the equation and Punt Return Success Rate as only 3%)

Rankings in individual categories were as follows:

49th in Punt success Rate
88th in Kickoff Success Rate
126th in Punt Return Success Rate
100th in Kick Return Success rate
6th in FG Net Value

27th isn't as bad as I expected but it's still by far our worst phase of the game (We were 10th in S&P+ Offense and 4th in S&P+ Defense)

Re: Here's a well known stat guy's attempt

Jul 20, 2016, 2:40 PM

> http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/1/7/10725318/col
> lege-football-special-teams-ratings
>
> He has Clemson at 96th overall but 27th weighted (he
> weights FG Net Value as 44% of the equation and Punt
> Return Success Rate as only 3%)
>
> Rankings in individual categories were as follows:
>
> 49th in Punt success Rate
> 88th in Kickoff Success Rate
> 126th in Punt Return Success Rate
> 100th in Kick Return Success rate
> 6th in FG Net Value
>
> 27th isn't as bad as I expected but it's still by far
> our worst phase of the game (We were 10th in S&P+
> Offense and 4th in S&P+ Defense)

Yet we win 14 games and would have won it all if our safeties would have played their responsibility

Re: Here's a well known stat guy's attempt

Jul 20, 2016, 2:48 PM

OR if we had done any of a dozen other things, 2 of which were on special teams.

Re: New Story: Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better

Jul 20, 2016, 8:05 AM

Why does it seem like this is excuses instead of really "owning" it. This has been the Achilles Heel for years and cost us the Championship. We can only hope it has truly been repaired!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Special teams seems like the only part of this team

Jul 20, 2016, 10:40 AM

where nobody is accountable and everybody points fingers and makes excuses. Sounds like Tommy Bowden talking about how half the teams that played that day lost.

How much worse than costing us a national championship?

Jul 20, 2016, 8:07 AM

It was as every bit as bad as everyone thinks on kick-offs anyway.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Venebles was responsible

Jul 20, 2016, 9:24 AM

for kick offs. Oops

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: So Venebles was responsible

Jul 20, 2016, 10:44 AM

With Venables cooordinating the entire defense AND coaching linebackers, I can't imagine he has much time for kick returns. That's almost certainly delegated to a GA or student assistant.

Lost a national title because of it Coach...

Jul 20, 2016, 8:12 AM

but "not as bad as people thought"?

Funny, while a problem, Dabo said they put together

Jul 20, 2016, 8:39 AM

a video of 5 plays that could have changed that game. Not one of them were Special Teams plays.

Special Teams will improve just because of different personnel and returning personnel being a year older and more experienced.

In that case

Jul 20, 2016, 11:01 AM

they missed 2 plays that could have changed the game

Re: Funny, while a problem, Dabo said they put together

Jul 20, 2016, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Funny, while a problem, Dabo said they put together ]

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a kickoff/punt for a touchdown and an onside kick we lost. If those aren't two of your 5 they should be - cost us 14 points!

Get it fixed or.....

Jul 20, 2016, 8:16 AM

It may darn well cost us another Championship.....that's what I think...??

Re: Get it fixed or.....

Jul 20, 2016, 2:04 PM

Get it fixed or FIRE DABO!!!
That will fix special teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better

Jul 20, 2016, 8:17 AM

This looks too much like a shotgun approach. Too many people involved without a true leader in the area giving it the direction and attention it needs.

That's what I was thinking

Jul 20, 2016, 8:32 AM

Too many chefs, and seems like a secondary priority. Come on Dabo, gitter fixed!

Re: That's what I was thinking- yep just way worse than it

Jul 20, 2016, 8:39 AM

should be with the talent level of the players we have

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2016, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better ]

I watched his interview this morning. It almost does feel like to many chiefs and no one taking ownership. Also, it almost sounded like personnel options were limited because of lack of depth at certain positions.

Here's to hoping that everyone is now considering special teAmsterdam 1/3 of the game and for having depth at many positions that allows for more personnel to get involved.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2016, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better ]

B I N G O!!!

Jul 20, 2016, 8:40 AM

What team was he watching? Our punting was okay? Players were in position we just have to tackle better?

Jul 20, 2016, 8:47 AM

He is in denial about the special team results form 2015. Poor performance and no continuous improvement as the season progressed. That's not a good sign for getting problems resolved. Mark it down!

So our consensus is "fire Dabo" for mismanaging ST? Perhaps

Jul 20, 2016, 8:57 AM

We could give him another year to get ST fixed. He has a proven in the past to address deficiencies.

#Hopeful before I throw a beer through my 50" TV.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you're really that frustrated, the good news is...

Jul 20, 2016, 9:28 AM

...the price of TVs continues to drop!

Re: So our consensus is "fire Dabo" for mismanaging ST? Perhaps

Jul 20, 2016, 9:57 AM [ in reply to So our consensus is "fire Dabo" for mismanaging ST? Perhaps ]

That would work out better for you I think. It would give you a reason to buy a newer big 65-70 inch screen TV!!!;)

I would be ashamed to post that

Jul 20, 2016, 11:28 AM [ in reply to So our consensus is "fire Dabo" for mismanaging ST? Perhaps ]

I had such a small one. :)

I think ST improves solely on a talented depth influx.

Jul 20, 2016, 9:07 AM

You have some guys like Chad Smith or Shaq Smith or Tre Lamar or Isaiah Simmons who I expect will provide a much needed increase in athleticism and ability. You didn't have the depth - especially at LB last year - to roll a guy that good out almost exclusively for special teams. (I expect a couple of those guys to get some good playing time down the road this year, but you can do that now with the depth and still have a higher quality/fresher guy in there at special teams vs last year.)

And then I think a guy like a Feaster or Powell improves the return game just on pure talent. I just don't know how much of any improvements will result from actual coaching changes but as long as it improves then I guess that kind of resolves itself.

And that my friends is why it has been horrible for years

Jul 20, 2016, 9:12 AM

and will continue to be until we hire someone who knows what he is doing. That was almost unbearable to read. He cost us a national championship and he doesn't get it. I said it before, you either have the mentality, schemes, etc. to coach special teams or you don't. This is not fixed and won't be until we get someone new.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And that my friends is why it has been horrible for years

Jul 20, 2016, 9:36 AM

1) They can't hire someone new, until they fire someone. We are maxed out on coaches already (NCAA only allows 9 main coaches...and we have that).

2) Just a note...Mickey Conn and Kyle Richardson both had teams known for having really good special teams...and they are now with Clemson in a "planning/ideas" capacity so there's that...

Honestly, we may have to just wait and see if they change some things this season.

Jul 20, 2016, 9:44 AM

Dabo needs to specifically address this single issue above every other element of preparing for the upcoming season. Pearman needs to be fired or reassigned and Clemson must focus upon finding a person who can solely work upon ST and recruiting as their job.

No more excuses!

Go Tigers!

I think the Conn/Richardson hires will have a direct impact

Jul 20, 2016, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: And that my friends is why it has been horrible for years ]

even though they may not get the media credit they deserve, at least not initially....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2016, 10:05 AM [ in reply to And that my friends is why it has been horrible for years ]

Putting someone new on an old problem rarely fixes the old problem. Getting who you have to understand what the problems are will usually get the problem fixed!!!

Jul 20, 2016, 1:32 PM

What?!?! With your reasoning we should just bring back Hatfield, Kevin Steele, and Rob Spence. What do you think coaching changes are all about.

Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better

Jul 20, 2016, 9:15 AM

What else does Pearman do as a coach? He calls ST meetings ( big whoop ) and is a poor recruiter ( he is better now only because CU is now much better ). I guess he coaches TEs who also typically have not been able to block their grandmother! He should have been canned years ago for poor performance. All Dabo has to do is take a look at the difference that it made when Brandon Streeter came is as QBs coach versus letting "The Chad" do a half-a$$ job with it. Fire Pearman, let Caldwell and Scott coach the tight ends to block and catch, and hire a full-time ST coach. This is not rocket science!!!

Re: Danny Pearman on special teams: We own it and we've worked hard to be better

Jul 20, 2016, 10:09 AM

Plus 1 on Streeter coaching our QBs over a half A$SED job of teaching!!!!:)

That hat...where in the heck can you find one?

Jul 20, 2016, 9:23 AM

I love that hat - reminds me of Danny. I have looked all over Clemson and online and cannot find one. Thinking it was made just for coaches...Anyone ever seen one to buy?

Speaking of Danny,

Jul 20, 2016, 2:04 PM

he took ownership of the special teams during his tenure. The "want to" Pearman speaks about is just as important in the coaches as it is in the players. Our coaches need to plan better plays, put the best players in the right spots, and practice, practice, practice. Getting knocked on their ### by their own teammates will sort of the players that "want to". Full speed 1's against 1's.

It's definitely time to get serious about special teams.

Re: That hat...where in the heck can you find one?

Jul 21, 2016, 6:19 AM [ in reply to That hat...where in the heck can you find one? ]

I bought a similar hat last year at Judge Keller's store. Only difference was the "C" is purple. Like you, however, I can't remember seeing one anywhere with the white "C" that Danny wore.

owning it

Jul 20, 2016, 10:07 AM

Best is the standard except for special teams where ranking 107 is "not that bad"?

That's not owning it. it just seems so different than the way the other coaches deal with things. It's like we have a holdover from the west era

Our special teams have not been great in a long time! The

Jul 20, 2016, 10:15 AM

return game has not been elite since CJ Spiller was here, and I don't remember us being a threat to block a field goal since the botched snap against Wake Forest, when Gaines Adams returned a td.

for 2 year, our biggest weakness - need fresh new coach!***

Jul 20, 2016, 10:20 AM

2017 ? What about 2016 ? ? ? This sounds very Tommy Bowden to me !

Jul 20, 2016, 10:24 AM

I've heard this song and dance before. Pearman will be gone if 2016 special teams are a flop

Re: 2017 ? What about 2016 ? ? ? This sounds very Tommy Bowden to me !

Jul 20, 2016, 10:47 AM

I'd like to see him moved into an Admin role. Rumor is Brad Scott will retire in the next couple of years, Pearman could be his understudy/replacement.

Jul 20, 2016, 10:24 AM

:( :( :(

Jul 20, 2016, 10:35 AM

Upon reading Pearman's interview I can clearly see why we've been...(cough)..."lackluster" in this area.

I'm about sure Auburn will return one on ST for a big play.

RE: 13 returnable punts out of 113 possible

Jul 20, 2016, 10:39 AM

we probably sent someone to attempt a block on less than 13 punts. When the punter knows he has all day to get the ball off, of course he's not gonna give you something that's returnable.

^^^THIS^^^^

Jul 20, 2016, 2:14 PM

Punt returns are prime example of not knowing what to do to fix it. As you say, you should put pressure on the punter to some degree to make them feel the need to get it off quickly. You can see clearly before every punt weather we are just going to go through the motions or put pressure. Then our return man is so covered up when he catches it.

Also, every team, and I mean every team we played did a better job of blacking the cover men as they come down the field. How can the coaching staff look at the film and not see the problems. There are many other obvious things we do wrong on ST, but nothing is changed.
It is like S&C program. After several years of denying that there was a problem, Batson finally had to bring in some new staff with new ideas to get the thing fixed.

On punting situations, just throw a deep intentional

Jul 20, 2016, 11:03 AM

Interception. Defensive backs don't bat the ball away anymore, they all go for the interception. Just have receivers converge into the same area. Similar to a Hail Mary.

Most defenses would be smart enough

Jul 20, 2016, 11:21 AM

to just drop the interception and take the ball at the LOS. Especially if you did it more than once.

That reminds me of Koenning's "We had a top 20 defense"

Jul 20, 2016, 11:15 AM

excuse. It looks good on paper, but still looked like a turd on the field.

The old "bend but don't win" defense***

Jul 20, 2016, 11:21 AM

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....Sounds like Spurrier speak

Jul 20, 2016, 11:22 AM

MAN UP & own it...we sucked 75% of the time on Special Teams. No big returns for us on KO or punts & gave up tons of yards with blown tackles galore. FG's were OK-I don't remember any blocked PAT's or FG's, but maybe there were. Also, we must not have blocked very well on punts because we seemed to do the 'fair catch' more than we tried to return it. Give the duties to the 2 new HS hires and make on an offensive kick coach & the other the defensive kick coach.

I am a little concerned about where he/they are getting the

Jul 20, 2016, 1:30 PM

info. We were well below middle of the pack in KO returns and nearly dead last in punt returns. Just going off of Bill Connelly's S&P+ from this article: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/21/11980362/clemson-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

Punt Return Success Rate 126th
Kick Return Success Rate 100th

It really doesn't matter one bit how many returnable punts we are getting. The fact is we were nearly dead last when compared to our peers. They are all facing the same type of punts we are. I suspect the low number of returnable punts is at least partially due to the fact that we seemingly never block the other team's gunners. There are usually 2 men standing there ready to great Scott/whoever any time they field a punt.

And this is the mindset that probably leads to quite a bit of our struggles in the return game.

'Hey, let's get the ball back to us offensively,'

I think that philosophy has come down from Dabo and it's not something i entirely agree with. Yes we have an explosive offense, and yes it's important to limit turnovers in the kick return game, but that doesn't mean you should neglect it. There's plenty to be gained there.

FSU had a ridiculously good offense in 2013 but they probably would've lost to Auburn in the title game if not for a KO return for TD.

Special teams: Punt return suggestion

Jul 20, 2016, 2:35 PM

If we are not going to rush the punter, don't put two guys on the outside gunners, just put one ( or two ) additional guys back with the punter. Those guys can then be initial blockers for the punt returner. Those blockers can then knock the crap out of whoever gets near the returner first! I know that I am not coach material, but doing the same things over and over and hoping for better results is ( as we all know ) INSANITY! Also, it would help to put "Boulware-type" guys on Special Teams to knock would-be tacklers into next week--a couple of solid strikes might slow them down a little bit...In case anyone thinks that this is ugly, I want to say "It's football--hit somebody, and hit 'em hard"!

Embarassing ST Coaching last year with the athletes on team

Jul 20, 2016, 7:17 PM

We were actually afraid to catch and run back punts and kickoffs last year the trust between coaches and players was so lacking. Dabo had to routinely settle for fair catches as a safety precaution. Missed assignments on coverage, especially by the contain guys, routinely put the Defense in poor position. As others have said, the team's ST rank says it all.

Needs a lot of work - but the good news is no where to go but up. More good news is the O was outstanding. The 2015 Defensive stats would have been much higher without the hapless Special Team play. OK, 2016 is a new season, but hopefully coaches and players get it more than superficial Pearman comments reveal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2016, 7:45 PM

Do not like the sound of this interview at all....I trust Dabo will get this fixed because sounds like Danny does not have a clue how to get it done.....hopefully special teams will not prevent us from winning it all (once again) like last year......Go Tigers!!!!!

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic