Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Clemson University and Nike extend apparel contract
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

New Story: Clemson University and Nike extend apparel contract

Apr 2, 2015, 1:01 PM

Clemson University and Nike extend apparel contract

TigerNet has learned that Clemson University and athletic apparel giant Nike have recently put the finishing touches on a contract that significantly increases Clemson's payout. What are the new numbers? How does it rank with other schools? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad we're sticking Nike

Apr 2, 2015, 1:04 PM

And Notre Dame is lame.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and

Apr 2, 2015, 1:10 PM

UNC were making in 2013-14. Way to go there athletic department.

Tell 'em coot81to85

Apr 2, 2015, 1:11 PM

Re: So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and

Apr 2, 2015, 1:22 PM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 2, 2015, 1:27 PM

oof, rough day I guess

HOLY CRAP

Apr 2, 2015, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

WOW what a BURN!

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: HOLY CRAP

Apr 2, 2015, 1:51 PM

I will continue to post that in response to anything that loser says.

Anyone who say he would not care if Clemson ceased to exist is not a Clemson fan.

null

I don't agree with much of what you say, but

Apr 2, 2015, 2:43 PM

This I can agree with.

Re: He is a loser. i can beech with the best of them but I

Apr 2, 2015, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Re: HOLY CRAP ]

will always pull for the tiger--even Leggett.

Re: HOLY CRAP

Apr 4, 2015, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: HOLY CRAP ]

What/who are you referring too as " loser" ?

Knew he was lying when he originally posted it***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Knew he was lying when he originally posted it***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:44 PM

yea, anyone who drops an 8,000 word essay on TigerNet explaining why they aren't going to post anymore is never gonna get out da game, yo

the Game is the Game***

Apr 2, 2015, 2:05 PM

Apr 2, 2015, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

I was taken to my first Clemson game 3 days before I turned 10 years old with my best friend George Tindal, we both went to Pinewood Elementary in Sumter county. I didn't know a thing about football or Clemson at that time, nothing. But I became a Clemson fan that day, and I have never once looked back, nor have I ever regretted becoming a Tiger. I had never heard of the gamecocks either until that day. My very first Clemson game on November 24, 1962, we beat what is now known as the suck it coots. My birthday was just 3 days later on November 27th. I didn't know at that time but, my friend George and his parent gave me one of my best B-day presents ever, a win over the coots. I didn't know a thing about the gamecocks at that time in my life, but I sure have grown to hate them basterds over the years. Forever a Clemson Tiger, 52 years and counting. Goooo Tigerssss, and forever suck it coots, 52 years and counting!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2015, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

What's up with this post? You never even said why you choose to now be indifferent?

Apr 3, 2015, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

why?? U must have has something very bad happen!! best of luck in the future.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many fans and alumni do you think we have compared to

Apr 2, 2015, 1:24 PM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

those schools? Some of you need to think for a minute before you start bitching and moaning on here.

Clemson has one of the World's most recognizable brands

Apr 2, 2015, 4:14 PM

as far as colleges go. It has paid off to stay classical with the paw. Number of alumni is irrelevent. Just ask ND.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Clemson has one of the World's most recognizable brands

Apr 2, 2015, 4:17 PM

UA and Adidas have to over-pay immensely for their deals. Neither of those brands can touch Nike's brand value, which is dominating, especially in the eyes of recruits. This deal is a huge coup for Clemson.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:26 PM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

Yeah that's what I got. Disappointing but maybe the price we pay for not letting them screw up our uniforms.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2015, 1:30 PM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

We don't have the brand of FSU or North Carolina...not even close. South Carolina getting that number from UA is highway robbery.

UA has to overpay, their gear sucks....Click Clack my a$$***

Apr 2, 2015, 2:07 PM

Re: UA has to overpay, their gear sucks....Click Clack my a$$***

Apr 2, 2015, 2:12 PM

LOVE UNDER ARMOUR SHIRTS. NOTHING ELSE

Do wish we'd keep the New Era hats..

Apr 2, 2015, 2:41 PM

And for God sakes don't go to the Nike bats..

Re: Do wish we'd keep the New Era hats..

Apr 2, 2015, 2:42 PM

In fact, upon further investigation, looks like they've stopped making bats. That's how bad they were

Because our current bats work so well***

Apr 2, 2015, 3:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Because our current bats work so well***

Apr 2, 2015, 3:20 PM

Hey now we have to actually hit something to test out the bats.

null

Re: Because our current bats work so well***

Apr 2, 2015, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Because our current bats work so well*** ]

Hey it's not the bats fault

Apr 5, 2015, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

USUC is getting the money because of Spurrier. Spurrier is just like Ric Flair. He is the person that everyone loves to hate. I really think that is one reason he runs his mouth so much. I believe he intentionally fuels the villain image he has. I can not think of another coach that is hated as bad as he is hated on a national scale.

Apr 2, 2015, 2:44 PM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

"81to85" you are banned from Tigernet (and any other Clemson websites) based on your diatribe you posted several years ago about how you were "officially done with supporting Clemson." You can't make those kind of elementary statements and then continue acting like you care with your weak posts! Grow up and move on AND OUT! Sianara!!!

Apr 2, 2015, 4:13 PM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

All much bigger schools with bigger fanbases. That's why. It isn't just on the field performance.

Apr 2, 2015, 7:20 PM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

Anything more than what were getting, is a h&ll of a lot better than what we were getting. I just hope we don't have to wear all those out of this world apparel like the Oregon's in the sports world. Good job athletic department, more is always better regardless of what some other program is getting. I'm sure there is something in the contract that states the better we do, the better we get paid.

Apr 3, 2015, 10:19 AM [ in reply to So our brand new contract pays us less than SC, FSU, and ]

agree!! this is another example of poor planning and even more poor results by DRad and company!

Nike hats/caps = crapola

Apr 2, 2015, 1:10 PM

stupid stretch-fit junk. That's for 12 year old kids.

A New Era fitted is the best ballcap ever made.
Reckon I'll have to load up on a supply of New Eras before they quit making them.

Re: Nike hats/caps = crapola

Apr 2, 2015, 1:13 PM

I WOULD IMAGINE NIKE MAKES FITTED HATS ALSO. LIKE THE NEW ERA HATS BUT YOU MAY BUY A HAT THAT FITS YOU PERFECT IN THE STORE AND THEN IT SHRINKS TO THE POINT YOU CANT WEAR IT. HOW MUCH TO BIG DO YOU BUY THE HAT IS THE QUESTION.

I actually have 2 hat sizes

Apr 2, 2015, 1:32 PM

7 5/8 pre-haircut
7 1/2 post-haircut

They tend to shrink some when you sweat in them a bunch, I do admit.

Kansas at #4 is a head scratcher***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:11 PM

Re: Kansas at #4 is a head scratcher***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:23 PM

They're one of the Top 5 national brands for basketball, no doubt.

The unfortunate things for Clemson is despite our on-field success the past few years, we're still not elite when it comes to national recognition. Still, $2.875M is nothing to sneeze at.

Why? They sell a lot of Basketball gear***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Kansas at #4 is a head scratcher*** ]

All Sports or is Baseball still saddled with Russell?***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:20 PM

Baseball is wearing Nike uniforms this season....

Apr 2, 2015, 1:22 PM

Although the team does still wear New Era hats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Baseball is with Nike.***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:23 PM [ in reply to All Sports or is Baseball still saddled with Russell?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Darn I wanted Adidas.

Said no one ever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

They ruin every uniform they design....Michigan used to have

Apr 2, 2015, 1:25 PM

great gear

i prefer Adidas over Nike or UA.***

Apr 2, 2015, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Darn I wanted Adidas. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

And chalk up another stupid move by our AD and athletic

department. Negotiate a contract where you're 3rd or 4th in your conference. Way to go guys.

Re: And chalk up another stupid move by our AD and athletic

Apr 2, 2015, 1:24 PM

Dude, they have no leverage. Notre Dame is the biggest athletic college brand in the nation, Florida State is a top 5 football brand, and North Carolina is a top 5 basketball brand and it has the Michael Jordan connection. Like it or not, Clemson isn't on the same level of those programs when it comes to recognition or marketing.

I thought it was good contract with the best company

Apr 2, 2015, 1:29 PM

Maybe we could have gotten $500k more with Under Armour but having Nike is much better brand wise.

For not having much leverage, we did great.

Re: I thought it was good contract with the best company

Yea, I'll take Nike over Under Armour every day of the week. I much prefer their gear.

I wonder if the school continued with its persistence that Nike have limited freedom in regards to "alternative" uniforms. Personally, I'm 100% for a freaky uniform every once in awhile, though I want to avoid the overdone chromed-out or matte helmets.

I don't really care.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:33 PM

Whatever helps us get recruits.

We use the Nike logo for all of the recruiting designs used.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I thought it was good contract with the best company ]

It's sharp.

Re: We use the Nike logo for all of the recruiting designs used.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:43 PM

Yea and it carries weight with recruits. That swoosh is pretty valuable when it comes to recruits.

ND, FSU and unCHEAT would be among the Top 4 in EVERY

Apr 2, 2015, 1:27 PM [ in reply to And chalk up another stupid move by our AD and athletic ]

conference

Instead of bitching why don't you stop and ask yourself a

Apr 2, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to And chalk up another stupid move by our AD and athletic ]

question or two. Hmm, what are these apparel companies paying for? What do they look at when determining what kind of figure they are going to pay?

When you figure out the answers to these questions you will realize why complaining about this is stupid.

you can blame basketball. nike only gets one good sport***

Apr 2, 2015, 1:30 PM [ in reply to And chalk up another stupid move by our AD and athletic ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of these days maybe we'll

Apr 2, 2015, 1:30 PM

realize being good at basketball does pay off sometimes....

Well that sucks. It shows how little Nike values Clemson.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:31 PM

It's obvious Nike doesn't believe in Clemson athletics as a whole. I guarantee most of that valuation is on the football team.

Re: Well that sucks. It shows how little Nike values Clemson.

Well duh.

I doubt it's really that complicated. They most likely base

Apr 2, 2015, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Well that sucks. It shows how little Nike values Clemson. ]

their valuation on a few statistics such size of alumni base, past apparel sales, and what kind of ratings various Clemson sports are getting on TV. There's probably some room for negotiation based on trends (Clemson football is increasing in popularity right now), but i bet some computer model spits out the number that the negotiations are largely centered around.

there are also performance incentives in place and there

Apr 2, 2015, 1:40 PM

might even be a look in clause.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2015, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Well that sucks. It shows how little Nike values Clemson. ]

1. Yes, it's basically 100% based on the football team.

2. It has nothing to do with whether or not they believe in Clemson athletics. It has everything to do with how much apparel Clemson sells. We don't have the same brand as many of those other schools so we're not going to get paid as much.

maybe, but...

Apr 2, 2015, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Well that sucks. It shows how little Nike values Clemson. ]

They probably also look at the bottom line and what is selling etc.

Apr 5, 2015, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Well that sucks. It shows how little Nike values Clemson. ]

This is 100% correct. If our Basketball team made the tournament regularly and eventually a run to the sweet 16 our brand would be worth a whole lot more. But until that happens, we are still considered the second best football team in the ACC and that is our total value.

Apr 5, 2015, 10:26 AM

it has nothing to do with football or basketball. drad was on with mickey the other morning. it is all about apparel sales. and the number of sports. many schools have way more sports teams than we do. and our fan base is small compared to some other programs. at almost 3 million our nike contract is great. so it is bottom line. he said they shopped around and could have got more money but the coaches wanted to stay with nike for recruiting. under armour and adidas have to overypay to get the teams that they get.

Re: New Story: Clemson University and Nike extend apparel contract

Apr 2, 2015, 1:54 PM

The Collegiate Licensing Company tracks sales -- http://www.clc.com/News/Archived-Rankings.aspx. Clemson is usually in the 20-25 rank nationally. I would expect us to do better than ASU.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:56 PM

Very interesting, thanks.

Apr 2, 2015, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson University and Nike extend apparel contract ]

Don't underestimate the power of the left coast. The southwest part of the country might not come off as a big deal to us Southeastern-ers, but there's definitely a presence everywhere.

Whenever the state's name is mentioned in the school, people recognize it and buy their stuff. Unlike Clemson because 1- "who is that" 2- "where's that located, South Carolina, meh" 3- the paw, oh yeah now I'm familiar.

Trust me, I have had multiple people from across the country go through those 3 steps if I ever mention Clemson. Glad I was able to enlighten them :)

Apr 2, 2015, 4:18 PM

Not to mention the wealth in Greater LA & SF goes a long way. Lots of purchasing power in those metros.

Some people need a clue.(EVERYONE READ THIS)

Apr 2, 2015, 2:25 PM

Clemson gets less BECAUSE they control their uniforms.You will not see GOD AWFUL uniforms being worn by Clemson athletes that you you other school's athlete's having to wear because CONTROL was SOLD.

Not buying that being an issue..

Apr 2, 2015, 2:43 PM

Uniforms at most of those schools have remained traditional. I don't even think that's a worry nor a factor.

Performance incentives..

Apr 2, 2015, 2:54 PM

Anyone know what they are? I bet whatever they are that we reach those goals. We're about to get huge. Hopefully the incentives pay huge dividends as well.

Hopefully there's a renegotiation clause after a FB NC....***

Apr 2, 2015, 5:57 PM

If you want to make a difference in the next negotiations,

Apr 2, 2015, 6:17 PM

buy Clemson Nike gear. That shows that there is a strong market. That turns into more $ later.

Good news and disappointing at the same time.

Apr 3, 2015, 10:24 PM

nm

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

I think we should get a contract with Budweiser

Apr 5, 2015, 6:48 PM

Might as well make some cash for THE beer of Clemson ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic