Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Casual defense a concern for Brent Venables
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

New Story: Casual defense a concern for Brent Venables

Nov 14, 2015, 9:02 PM

Casual defense a concern for Brent Venables

For the last three weeks, Clemson’s defense has been a little lackadaisical in its performance, and the lack of intensity and focus is becoming a concern for Brent Venables. Venables doesn’t do casual, and he doesn’t want his defense being casual, either. Photo by Mark Konezny / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is what i thought he wouldve said after ncsu...

Nov 14, 2015, 9:11 PM

...glad to see he has it pinpointed. Honestly, I'm no longer worried now. I believe BV will have a strategy to get this week right.

Re: New Story: Casual defense a concern for Brent Venables

Nov 14, 2015, 9:13 PM

There you makes sense with the way they have been playing some times. They turn it on in spurts. Some day it's gonna get you beat.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2015, 9:13 PM

I see a tough week coming for the defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Embarrassing performance from the defense....###?***

Nov 14, 2015, 9:23 PM

Maybe this will be a good wake up call. I think this was different

Nov 14, 2015, 9:29 PM

than the state and FSU games where we didn't play great. This one was much more eye opening and will hopefully get the guys refocused.

Suugestion to BV: more reps for our best incl. #42 C.W.

Nov 14, 2015, 9:49 PM

Mash up status quo and substitute rotations - put the guys out there with the most talent who want to bring it. Figure out how to help Will in pass coverage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow

Nov 14, 2015, 10:09 PM

All you fans that don't like to hear the truth. And call people coots. Venables is pissed and a realist don't call him a coot. Go tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow

Nov 15, 2015, 2:50 AM

I agree with you fully on this point.

For those of us being constructively critical earlier, (and over the past couple of weeks regarding our defensive play), it shows that we actually watch the game, the strategy, have actually played the game, and care, etc. Sure, there are some ######## on here saying "bench so & so" or blaming everything on a single person which is ridiculous and deserves some shaming in return but for the majority of us here posting our grievances, it is because this is where we feel at home to vent with like minds, no?

Coach Venables reiterated in his post-game interview almost verbatim what some of us have been saying for a few weeks now regarding our defensive play and some of us are entirely too quick to scream "coot" or judge someone based on how much or little they post, how long we've been registered, or our "pulse" which I learned just this week can be cut nearly in half by disagreeing with someone over spelling and what's colloquially acceptable to post / talk about on here. That's just as bs as the trolls themselves coming over here and posting nonsense.

I personally think as long as your opinion or argument is sound and you have reasons to back whatever you're saying, you shouldn't be flames by default for expressing yourself here. Is coach V a coot now for admitting we've been playing soft or lackadaisical these last few weeks? Hell no! He's spot on. And for those of us saying the same thing(s) since NC State, we should be applauded for our observations and analyses, not perceived as traitors to the cause.

Sorry to vent, just felt aligned with what this person said earlier. As a player you can't say things like "yeh, I made some mistakes today and I have to clean some stuff up" only to repeat the same mistakes for the next two games without owning it, or being held accountable, else you never improve! Anyway, glad we got the W. I hope the "wake up call" we were hoping for after the NC State performance actually gets felt this week at practice and we dial back in on defense. As long as we do that, and our offense keeps putting up 470 yards per game, we will be just fine.

Re: Wow

Nov 15, 2015, 8:43 AM

Well said! Let's get dialed in now and keep winning. I hope we keep that #1 ranking though! Go Tigers!!

Nov 14, 2015, 10:57 PM

Sure is easy to sit on the couch, recliner, bar stool, lawnmower or a dude for some of our "fans" to coach. SHUT UP!

tell it like it is

Nov 14, 2015, 11:07 PM

So refreshing to hear it out of Coach V's mouth. Lazy, sleep walking, uninspired, and just plain bad play. It's a shame to watch what could be the best defense lay down. It's like they expecting teams to roll over because we are Clemson. Thank God the offense isn't suffering the same. The linebackers are blowing responsibilities left & right. Down right blowing coverages. Safeties are having to make plays the backers should have had. Very wmbarassing! I have faith, Coach! Whip em into shape down the stretch! Go Tigers!!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never heard any of those words...

Nov 15, 2015, 9:47 AM

come out of his mouth. He took the blame, and will correct it.

Get a grip.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Casual defense a concern for Brent Venables***

Nov 14, 2015, 11:08 PM

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 24, 2021, 9:50 AM

I'm glad to see coach V upset with our guys. Our lines and the entire defense played like a scrimmage game. I hope he busts the ### at practice this week. Inexcusable

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

This defense would have lost the ND game

Nov 14, 2015, 11:24 PM

They better wake up NOW or the season will be over after the ACC championship game!

Re: This defense would have lost the ND game

Nov 15, 2015, 2:12 AM

#### skippy it would. I'm not sure the Tigers would beat UNCheat with the way the D played last night, especially the run D. I would really hate to think what Bama with Henry or tOSU with Elliott would do to the run D that showed up last night. Really hope BV straightens it out this week and gets them back to the way they played the run against ND & GT.

Re: This defense would have lost the ND game

Nov 15, 2015, 10:17 AM [ in reply to This defense would have lost the ND game ]

This offense would have trounced ND. BV has some problems to work out which i think he will. In the meantime, it'sa team game, and the offensive part of our team is playing lights out.

i agree, the O is loking sweet, thankfully***

Nov 15, 2015, 10:34 AM

Nov 15, 2015, 5:30 AM

Do you mean Casual,as in casual attire on Friday at work?
Glad to know that cause while it was work,yesterday was Saturday.
I'm just glad we didn't play the game on Friday.

Nov 15, 2015, 8:08 AM

This seems about right. It has been a loooong time since the bye week and we have a way to go before the finish line still.

NC State pulled some rabbits out of the hat and they were just happy to get out with a win against a well coached, motivated team that had (effectively) two weeks to game plan for us.

Florida State is...well, Florida State...fairly lousy year for them this year, granted but preposterously loaded with talent, so you can kind of understand.

Syracuse is such a dumpster fire, they had Kelly Bryant scheduled in for the third series (and I suspect were hoping he would keep himself in most of the game...hence the Play Calling for Dummies game plan). You've got to like Mahoney...that kid is the best fifth string QB in the country...good enough that the first string guy may have a fight on his hands when he gets back.

But still, no excuses for us...and there are going to be some unhappy Who's in Whoville in the defensive rooms this week...as well there should. Thankfully, the offense hasn't had a bad week, too and there is plenty of material to work with to set fire to the defense and find a new peak.

So, hopefully three good, solid, focused performances to finish out the business at hand, and then on to the promised land.

What does he mean when he says...

Nov 15, 2015, 9:37 AM

"We missed some fits..."?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I think most of us have realized they were not perfect

Nov 15, 2015, 3:28 PM

Or on the level of last year's Defense. I love watching each and every one of those kids, but most of us know we have issues at LB with regard to speed and athletic ability. If you have played a bit, or coached you recognize it. Does not make you a coot. Makes you a realist. I love my Marine Corps Career, but we too had issues at times. We have who we have, and I truly believe losing Wiggins hurt as much if not more than losing Mike Williams. Still, I ask yall this. Is there anyone you trust more to try to fix this issue?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they're getting worn down

Nov 15, 2015, 10:46 PM

Our bye week was weeks ago and these boys have put in a ton of work along with extra national pressures that they've haven't dealt with.l before. Hopefully we can dispose of wake early this week so these starters can get a breather before Carolina.

Re: I think they're getting worn down

Nov 15, 2015, 11:20 PM

I think the BS fumble called on Bryant was a Defense killer! You go up 21-0 on that drive and Cuse whole offensive play calling probably changes and you force their qb to try to beat you through the air but turnovers kept Cuse and crowd in game and defense on their toes. I smell shut out against wake and 10 points max against usuck.

It's up the Middle! Boulware crashing the line and getting

Nov 16, 2015, 7:09 AM

out of position, mostly. BV will have a cure for this now, he has seen it enough to build a different "blueprint". But, until we stop it, whoever we play will certainly tilt their game plan heavy up the middle with QB runs. (I don't think Wake or USUC has anyone as fast as that little waterbug Saturday though.)

Nov 20, 2015, 7:34 PM

Will someone please tell me why we COULD beat Alabama.I know it's too soon but it's on my mind and from what I've seen these past few weeks it's a bit unnerving watching bama and notre dame win big while we struggle with 3-and whatever teams. Doesn't feel like #1. Here's to beating the brakes off of the bottom feeder of the ACC.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic