Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Are these your daddy's Tigers?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

New Story: Are these your daddy's Tigers?

Oct 12, 2015, 7:01 AM

Are these your daddy's Tigers?

The entire culture of Clemson's program has changed and continues to change. These Tigers don't wanna win 44-40; they want to win with defense, a running game and want to beat you on the line of scrimmage. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Are these your daddy's Tigers?

Oct 12, 2015, 7:09 AM

Excellent write up , loved the comparisons to Clemson now and Clemson then . I think you are right about what Dabo Swinney and his staff have endeavored to do with our running game and the OL , and the results are showing on the field .
We may have ourselves a very nice plan here .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 12, 2015, 1:16 PM

It takes a great OL to do what we are trying to do which is to control the lines of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and impose our will on opponents. We are doing it very, very well. This OL has taken shape and is getting better and more and more consistant every week. Isn't this fun? Wow! Just WOW!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2015, 7:20 AM

i believe old de told you before the game we would score 50 on the bees saturday. turns out only dabo could stop them from doing that. this team is very focused it appears.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2015, 1:21 PM

What you forgot to mention was just how dominating our Defense was going to be. We totally shut their option down, and they had no clues as to how to fix it. It is the same thing spurlid faced last year. We knew he had no answers and just was ready to get the game over with when the game ended and he still had all 3 time outs left. That is proof of zero clue about how to address the issue. Same could be said for PJ last Saturday. A thing of pure beauty on both occasions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even better - my Daddy's Tigers with a potent

Oct 12, 2015, 7:41 AM

passing attack ON TOP of the rest. These Tigers are starting to look like a truly complete team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Tiger D has been gloriously old skool

Oct 12, 2015, 7:49 AM

for the past 2 seasons.

Want to know when your defense is good? It's when you like to watch them more than you like to watch the offense.

We've had that a few times recently.

Really all we need to be dominant is a go-to, fight-for-the-ball, deep-threat receiver and I think we found him in #8.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Tiger D has been gloriously old skool

Oct 12, 2015, 8:11 AM

You need 3 good receivers if you want a good deep passing game... we have none better than ND's #7.

Cain had a great game because GT had to cover and double cover #3 and then we had TEs and others.

We have no better WR than #3.... Cain will have great games.. When #3 touches the ball I expect a great play.

Oct 12, 2015, 8:35 AM

ND#7 isn't that good against a good team. He only caught two passes the entire game against us. You need to provide a better example to have any credibility.

Oct 12, 2015, 8:40 AM

Let me get this straight..so if our D backfield is good enough to take a guy out, that makes him not a good receiver? I think Megatron (Kalvin Johnson) would beg to differ....and we once shut him out in the past. Just like Sterling Johnson was shut out in the Russell Athletic Bowl, and Rashard Greene was fairly shut down last year (minus one slip up play). Just because our backs played excellent taking their threat away doesn't even get close to trying to say they aren't good.

Oct 12, 2015, 8:42 AM

*Sterling Shephard

Oct 12, 2015, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: The Tiger D has been gloriously old skool ]

BTW, Will Fuller, even after counting our shut-down on him, is still sitting as #15 receiving yards leader in the NCAA:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards

Now, we need to raid the soccer team for a 60-yard kicker...***

Oct 12, 2015, 8:12 AM

But I guess we can't say "Automatic Africans" any more...

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed. Oh for the days of Nigerian secret weapons.

Oct 12, 2015, 8:25 AM

We miss you Dr. Ibrahim!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This team reminds me a lot of the 1978 Tigers ...

Oct 12, 2015, 8:18 AM

The 1978 team was arguably the most talented bunch ever at Clemson. The current squad has a great many similarities.

We had great leadership and play at QB from Steve Fuller ... dynamic, game breaking WRs led by Jerry Butler and Perry Tuttle ... highly effective, if unspectacular RBs like Warren Ratchford and Lester Brown, and FB Marvin Sims, all of whom got the job done behind tough skillful OL led by the Bostic brothers and Steve Kenney.

We also had solid defensive play from stalwarts like Jim Stuckey at DT, Jonathon Brooks at DE and Rich Tuten at MG, along with fast, hard-hitting Randy Scott and Bubba Brown at LB with guys like Rex Varn at Safety.

KOs and FGs were in great shape with Obed Ariri. David Sims was a very good punter.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And to Rev's point, Ariri came from

Oct 12, 2015, 8:24 AM

The soccer team.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: This team reminds me a lot of the 1978 Tigers ...

Oct 12, 2015, 10:56 AM [ in reply to This team reminds me a lot of the 1978 Tigers ... ]

Wasn't Dwight Clark also on that team?

Oct 12, 2015, 9:27 AM

These aren't my daddy's Tigers, these are mine! We used to get really angry with Ford, because he was playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. He only won a National Championship. Go Tigers!

Nice article... This program is on a steady climb to the top

Oct 12, 2015, 10:11 AM

The best part is just how young we are.... The 'worst' part is we're going to start losing underclassmen to the NFL. ;~)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2015, 10:14 AM

I read the headline and then the article thinking, no these aren't my Daddy's Tigers. They were the tigers of late 50's and early 60's. The beginning and prime Frank Howard era. Marked by 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Then I realized that the heyday, the National Championship was when I was at Clemson. It finally dawned on me that yes, they are your daddy's Tigers, for my son. The problem is that I AM the Daddy. Darn it, you blink,30 years fly by, and I am officially old. But that also means that I have been privileged to see the apogee and the perigee of the program. I recognize the formula, you are right. It's the same one used by Danny with a little more window dressing. It's a GREAT time to be a tiger!

Oct 12, 2015, 1:27 PM

Good post. Blink again, and you'll be my age. Time flies when you're having fun.

In 1981 I was 11, and was the middle son in my family

Oct 12, 2015, 10:22 AM

I was a HUGE Clemson fan and have craved that special season EVERY year since. I now have three kids of my own, and coincidentally my middle son is 11. He too is a huge Clemson fan. Even crazier is that he looks and acts EXACTLY like I did at that age( I know, poor kid :) , we all have obstacles to overcome). I know that we have to step back and take it one game at a time............but coincidence........I THINK NOT!!!!!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Circle of Life.... It's REAL!***

Oct 12, 2015, 10:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lets hope!!!!!!!***

Oct 12, 2015, 10:33 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

"Clemsoning" still exists, however?

Oct 12, 2015, 10:41 AM

the definition has been corrected. Clemsoning: is when one team makes the other team it's "Son" as Clemson did to Ga Tech this weekend! Tweet that, Jesse Palmer!!

Santa?**

Oct 12, 2015, 10:50 AM

nm

Oct 12, 2015, 12:43 PM

If you took Steve Fuller's Offense with Homer Jordan's Defense (roughly, give or take a few years) this team is a pretty close combination.

However, we do NOT have the special teams we had in the 70s/80s. Head hunters on kick return, punters (long and high), and field goal kickers (long and accurate) were the norm in those days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But these are your Daddy's "lamecocks"

Oct 12, 2015, 1:50 PM

Things are back to normal in "colslumbia". Same old chickens. "slurrier" will be replaced. Wait a minute, here's a thought. Replace him with that other usc guy. You can swap one indulger for another. Yep,things would stay the same.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic