Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New ACC Division Names...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

New ACC Division Names...

Apr 24, 2012, 10:13 AM

I think having a North Division and a South Division would make much more sense in the new ACC (once Pitt & Syracuse join). I also feel like just the name alone, would grab so much more attention from people up north and down south (ACC and non-ACC).

Who wouldn't want to tune into the Annual ACC North vs. South Football Championship Game? The Civil War Bowl? I think the name alone would draw a ton of attention.

What do you think?

Something like:

NORTH
Syracuse
Boston College
Pitt
Maryland
UVA
Duke
Wake

SOUTH
NC State
UNC
VT
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would sure be an easy route to the ACC Championship Game

Apr 24, 2012, 10:15 AM

in the North.

Agreed, but even if they mix the teams a little better.

Apr 24, 2012, 10:16 AM

How do you feel about renaming the divisions?

eh... I dunno... doesn't matter to me***

Apr 24, 2012, 10:19 AM

If they ever go up to 16 teams, I'd agree with a renaming.

Apr 24, 2012, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Agreed, but even if they mix the teams a little better. ]

I think going to 16 is inevitable(might happen 1 year from now, might be 10). Odds are those schools are going to be from the North, a North South division naming might be more appropriate(assuming the ACC recruits the 15th and 16th for football strength not basketball strength)

EDIT: oh and put VT in the North and Duke in the South.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The South Division has the Top 7 football teams

Apr 24, 2012, 10:17 AM

While the North Division has the bottom 7.

Re: New ACC Division Names...

Apr 24, 2012, 10:18 AM

If we are going to have a Civil War rivalry, I suggest we trade UNC for Washington and Lee. It just makes sense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

woot! i'm buying the first round at the GHQ...***

Apr 24, 2012, 10:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Flip Duke/Wake with VT/Miami

Apr 24, 2012, 10:27 AM

Everyone knows South Florida is part of the North anyway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Flip Duke/Wake with VT/Miami

Apr 24, 2012, 1:16 PM

My thoughts too. Miami has much stronger ties to the northern teams from their big east days

Apr 24, 2012, 10:28 AM

I still don't understand why everyone wants 16 teams. That's 8 per division, which makes it really hard to keep 8 conference game schedule. Let's go to 18 teams, North/South Divisions, and you play only your division (8 games) and still have 4 OOC games. Then the North and South winners play in the ACCCG. I wouldn't care if we never played BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland, etc. etc. In fact, I prefer it. Let's play Miami, FSU, GT, UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake every year. And yes, we'd have to add one southern school...maybe South Fla?

With 16 teams you do 4 divisions

Apr 24, 2012, 10:43 AM

Four 4-team divisions. You play everyone in your division every year (3 games), 1 permanent opponent every year (1 game), and a 6-year cycle round-robin of the other three divisions home/home (4 games). In the event your permanent opponent is in the division you are playing in the round-robin that year, you matchup against whatever other team is in that same boat from one of the two divisions you are not playing (essentially a secondary permanent opponent that you would play 4/6 years).

There are four division champs with a semifinal and final for the championship game. Or you could forgo the semifinal and just use the team with the best record from each pair of divisions that play each other in a given year.

I think 16 teams actually works out better than 14 teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great concept, but the north would be embarrassingly bad FB***

Apr 24, 2012, 10:29 AM

The North division resembles the SEC Least..weak***

Apr 24, 2012, 10:41 AM

Great idea

Apr 24, 2012, 10:46 AM

But that would never happen in today's overly PC world... People are too sensitive

I like the North/South division, but would do it like this:

Apr 24, 2012, 10:53 AM

North:
Syracuse
Boston College
Pitt
Maryland
UVA
VT
Duke

South:
NCSU
UNC
Wake
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

IF we go to 16, I'm guessing it will be two northern schools (almost all the scenarios are northern schools...dream scenarios like ND and Penn State or practical scenarios including Rutgers and UConn). If that were the case, we'd take Duke in the South and put the two new northern schools in the northern division.

I like it because it makes travel easier for fans and the schools, it fosters regional interest and regional rivalries, you STILL play three teams from the other division every year so you get that exposure, and you can brand the conference championship with a bit of regional pride.

As for the disparities of the quality of the two divisions in this scenario, I have two comments:
1) There's a scene in The 13th Warrior where Antonio Banderas can't lift a broad sword he's given. When he says he can't lift it, one of the other guys responds "grow stronger." So it is with the north. They'd just have to find a way to compete. Most of those programs have had success to varying degrees (obviously VT has had plenty of success).

2) These things ebb and flow. We have to stop setting up a conference to mirror the hot teams of that day. They set-up the conference at twelve teams so that FSU and Miami would face each other in a championship game in Florida. So far FSU has two appearances and Miami has none (and does not look poised to get there any time soon if they get slammed with probation). Set the divisions up in a way that the fans enjoy and the schools don't go broke, and let the chips fall where they may.

null

Rename them the Football and Non-Football Divisions***

Apr 24, 2012, 10:56 AM

Give them UNC, we take Wake and you can name them

Apr 24, 2012, 11:25 AM

Lacrosse Division and Football Division

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2012, 12:16 PM

NO.That's stupid. The ACC has the best division names in the country. Directional names are boring but better than the big10

How about this????

Apr 24, 2012, 1:06 PM

Endoscophy Division
CU
NCS
GT
UVa
VT
Wake
Pitt

Colonoscophy Division
Syracuse
MD
UNC
Dook
FSU
UMd
BC

Would it put an end to the emancipation thing?***

Apr 24, 2012, 1:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2012, 1:46 PM

The south div would be brutal if miami ever gets it going

Wildest suggestion I ever heard.

Apr 24, 2012, 2:47 PM

It actually makes sense.

ACC would never accept it.

Apr 24, 2012, 2:52 PM

I like the disions named as "Billy Yank" and "Johnny Reb" divisions, and the Championship game could be renamed "The War of Northern Agression".

Actually I like the 4 pod system, and each year two pods form a division on a rotating bassis for the pods and NOpermanent cross division rival. That would give you 7 conference games, and the chance for 5 ooc games.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic