Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Soccer Update: WATCH: McNamara with long-range strike
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Soccer Update: WATCH: McNamara with long-range strike

Jun 7, 2015, 12:04 PM

WATCH: McNamara with long-range strike

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Soccer Update: WATCH: McNamara with long-range strike

Jun 7, 2015, 12:28 PM

What's even funnier is that the first guy over to congratulate McNamara is Sebastian Velazquez. Velazquez is from Greenville, South Carolina. I've met him several times, even coached his cousin at Hughes Academy a few years back. For as indifferent as a lot of people seem to be, there are an awful lot of really good soccer players marching out of the Upstate. (Among them guys like Clint Dempsey, Oguchi Onyewu, Stuart Holden, Velazquez, and most recently, McNamara.)

It was an incredibly well-taken goal by McNamara. He realized the keeper was out and dropped it up and over him.

That is taking your opportunity.

Got the highlights here. His goal gets about four replays, and the announcers are...impressed.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/06/06/philadelphia-union-1-new-york-city-fc-2-mls-match-recap

Jun 7, 2015, 1:15 PM

like seeing a little love for soccer every now and then. Thanks for the good post! +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Jun 8, 2015, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Soccer Update: WATCH: McNamara with long-range strike ]

Yep Soccer is pretty strong in the Carolinas... Which is why i think a MLS team would do awesome in the Charlotte area.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 8, 2015, 10:53 AM

The lower division team in Charlotte (the Eagles) does terribly in attendance numbers and just dropped from the 3rd division of soccer (the lowest pro division) to the 4th division (the highest amateur division).

It's possibly that a team in a higher league would do better, but I think if NC gets a pro team it'll be in the research triangle. The RailHawks do pretty well up there.

Jun 8, 2015, 10:58 AM

Charlotte Independence are the bigger team in Charlotte. They were an expansion USL team in 2014 basically taking the Eagles spot as they stepped down on their own.

The Eagles were always held back by their ownership who cared more about spreading religion than winning games.

Independence are a USL team which is 2nd/3rd tier. I put the slash in there due to the fact that the USL just dominated the NASL in the US Open Cup.

null

Never knew that about the Eagles

Jun 8, 2015, 11:31 AM

also hadn't heard there was a new team in Charlotte, my info was a couple of years old I guess.

If soccer support is growing in Charlotte then I could see them either getting an MLS expansion team or their current team growing along with USL Pro to become a much more popular and competitive league.

Re: Never knew that about the Eagles

Jun 8, 2015, 11:51 AM

Yea they were owned by a religious organization and have a cross in their shield...

null

Jun 8, 2015, 3:53 PM

Yeah I knew they had a cross on their crest, but I thought that was just another soccer team trying to be super English.

Jun 8, 2015, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Never knew that about the Eagles ]

There are an insane number of NASL and USL teams, and they're popping up like mushrooms across the US.

Railhawks could be in a spot of trouble, though, because they're owned by Traffic - a particularly notorious third-party-agent organization that's wrecked the careers of a bunch of young prospects - and Traffic just got named as one of the entities the FBI is particularly interested in investigating in this whole FIFA scandal that just took down Sepp Blatter and may end up taking down FIFA altogether. Hope they survive it; WakeMed Park is a cool scene and there's a boatload of great youth soccer spinning off of all that.

People do not get how big soccer is getting, and it's springing largely from the grassroots. There's already close to 75 pro teams in America between MLS, NASL, and the USL, and that number is growing every year...there will be 100+ pro teams in less than ten years, easily.

You can see the impact it's having. The USA is seemingly loaded with quality young players right now. The USMNT senior team just took down the Netherlands - who finished third in Brazil 2014, and second to Spain in the South Africa 2010 World Cup - 4-3 a few days ago...in their own house. Playing an uber-aggressive 4-3-3 formation and ending the game with three strikers under the age of 22 on the field. The Dutch were...appalled. The US just lined up and punched with them, playing the sort of aggressive, attacking soccer the US is not supposed to be able to play. And the Dutchies went down.

The USA's U-23's also just finished a tournament in Toulon, France yesterday...they beat England 2-1 in the third-place match and took third in the tournament. The English were...similarly appalled. Mostly because they knew it wasn't just the USA, it was the USA "B" team, a lot of guys trying to make the 2016 Olympic squad, and a lot of our top young guys weren't there because they were either playing with the senior team (and beating the Dutch in their own house!) in the middle of their MLS seasons...or they were in New Zealand with the U-20's right now.

Speaking of the US's U-20's; they just advanced out of group into the knockout rounds in the U-20 World Cup now going on in New Zealand. They play Colombia on Wednesday to try to advance into the Round of 8.

And of course, the women are going for the trophy in the World Cup in Canada starting tonight.

Some really good stuff going on with US Soccer right now.

Jun 8, 2015, 3:33 PM

Yep the my generation and younger are really pushing the growth of the sport in America.

Has been pretty cool to watch as someone who just recently (7-8 years ago) became a big soccer fan after having someone teach me about the game.

I would love love love for the Carolinas to get an MLS team. Right now I will be supporting the new ATL franchise but I really hate Atlanta.

I also go to several Battery games a year here in Charleston.

null

Pro/Rel

Jun 8, 2015, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Soccer Update: WATCH: McNamara with long-range strike ]

Hard to root for a team that has no chance of ever being in D1 unless they decide to pay 100million$.

Ridiculous imo. I know pro/rel has a lot of potential issues in the USA but if we hope the usmnt progresses we need to implement it.

The only way Pro/Rel happens here

Jun 10, 2015, 4:54 PM

is if MLS splits into an upper and lower division or USL/NASL manages to get big enough to challenge MLS for supremacy.

Sure wish we had had him for more than 1 year***

Jun 8, 2015, 9:58 AM

Why ain't this guy on the World Cup team?

Jun 8, 2015, 3:42 PM

And the answer "because he isn't good enough" only means you haven't watched our World Cup team.

Lots of reasons

Jun 8, 2015, 4:08 PM

1. He's never played on any of the US youth teams, most of the guys on the national team came up through the youth system

2. He tore his ACL last year which hampered his progress some

3. He actually isn't good enough. He's only played 131 minutes for NYCFC so far this season (less than 2 full matches) and has only started 1 match for them so far (the one this highlight is from). That was also the only goal he's scored all year, including a 3 match stint where he was loaned to the Wilmington Hammerheads, the 11th ranked team in USL Pro.

McNamara is talented and has a lot of potential, but he's not national team quality at this point.

Am being silly- was me nancy'ing over our men's team

Jun 8, 2015, 4:36 PM

though the youtube vid showed him looking like Ronaldo in one segment

Re: Am being silly- was me nancy'ing over our men's team

Jun 10, 2015, 4:47 PM

Sorry, had my filter turned off for a moment there.

Re: Why ain't this guy on the World Cup team?

Jun 8, 2015, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Why ain't this guy on the World Cup team? ]

you mean our USMNT that just beat the Dutch 4-3?

null

Yes. Afraid to start getting hopeful. It was a nice comeback***

Jun 8, 2015, 8:03 PM

Nat Team is up on the Germans(!!) got to give u credit 117***

Jun 10, 2015, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Why ain't this guy on the World Cup team? ]

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic