Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nerves, as a fan. Have we really been here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Nerves, as a fan. Have we really been here?

Nov 1, 2015, 7:19 PM

I know Bowden had a 7-0 or 8-0 team that made it to #2 and I guess a few years back we got to 8-0 (why don't I remember that well?), but does this feel different? After beating Oh St and Auburn and LSU and ND and every other big name program we've played over the last several years, does this 8-0 start feel different to you? Do you find yourself more nervous watching the last few games? To me, it feels like we're supposed to get to the playoff's, supposed to compete/win the national championship, and at this point, a loss would be a disaster. I hope the players aren't playing with the nerves that I'm cheering with. Lol

To piggy-back...if we do get to the USuC game undefeated, I can't imagine the pressure and nerves of having to go there and win to continue a championship run. Alabama is use to this kinda stuff, we're not...should be interesting.

Win Saturday!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone on TigerNet who was at least a teenager during

Nov 1, 2015, 7:21 PM

the '81 season has been there, done that.

WE ARE ROCKS! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone on TigerNet who was at least a teenager during

Nov 1, 2015, 7:51 PM

Yep. Been there and done that, and I am ready to do it this year and several
more times. Yes, it is more nerves when you are very good than when you are just good.
Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone on TigerNet who was at least a teenager during

Nov 1, 2015, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Everyone on TigerNet who was at least a teenager during ]

I'll never forget where I was at, or who I was with when I watched that game. I got to share that moment with my father. It's fun sharing this season with him too. Although, I no longer live with him. But, we do text during the game and call at the half and end of the games. I want to celebrate one more Clemson National Championship with my Dad before that dreaded day comes! This feels like it could be it! Glad Dabo has taken us back where we belong!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nerves going to play the coots? Bwah ha ha.

Nov 1, 2015, 7:21 PM

They are a dumpster fire. Stadium should be half orange.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

You are crazy if you think playing the coots, undefeated, them having

Nov 1, 2015, 7:26 PM

nothing to lose and it being their Super Bowl, doesn't concern you! Given the significance of that game, it worries me more than FSU. They played TAMU close...they won't roll over and take a 58-0 beating. I say we win the game, but it'll be much like the NCST game, where there is very little chance to relax.

The best team will win that game just like 98% of the time.

Nov 1, 2015, 7:35 PM

When one team has been markedly better than the other team, the better team has almost always won.

In fact, even when it appeared like the better team lost ... like when our .500 squad beat a bowl bound SCAR team in 1980, it turned out that we were really a national champion one year removed.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This feels very much like the 1981

Nov 1, 2015, 7:44 PM

Season. Every game seemed like we got better until at the end of the season it felt like we were invincible. Very fun season just like this year

NC State has an NFL caliber QB...

Nov 1, 2015, 7:52 PM [ in reply to You are crazy if you think playing the coots, undefeated, them having ]

...that was the different yesterday. He kept it close, otherwise it's another Miami blowout.

Coots have no such QB. Do not fear, they will go down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't Forget 1999

Nov 1, 2015, 9:18 PM [ in reply to nerves going to play the coots? Bwah ha ha. ]

We had to sneak out of WB with a win against an 0-11 team thanks to Rod Gardner's clutch td.

Re: Nerves, as a fan. Have we really been here?

Nov 1, 2015, 7:24 PM

Im with you... I feel like we as a fan base have been through a lot since that 7-0 season. That one was different because we had TB and Sammy and Nuk with The Chad and we didnt know where the ceiling was with that team. In a certain sense, I feel like we have matured as a fan base (well not all of us) but I do think we can now see if we have the pieces we need to make a run or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2015, 7:26 PM

Agreed.

Not all of the fan base though. Like the clowns that post on FGF. They look fckn retarded.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

was that before BV too? or maybe his first year?

Nov 1, 2015, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Nerves, as a fan. Have we really been here? ]

I don't remember feeling like the championship was ours to lose at 7-0...like I do at 8-0 now.

Nov 1, 2015, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Nerves, as a fan. Have we really been here? ]

Those of us around in 1981 have actually been awaiting this type of season. I just sense the team and staff have adopted the maturity of a veteran team, i.e. One Game at a time!

As fans we should be here to encourage and not nitpick! Remember these are young people playing with a purpose and those in DV Saturday need to stand behind the team and staff and cheer with unrestrained fervor for the Tigers! Treat our visitors to a great experience and send them home safely after FSU loses.

Go Tigers!

I am by far less nervous than I have ever been as a Clemson

Nov 1, 2015, 7:30 PM

fan. There might have been a couple of years I was less nervous like 87 or 88. Back then we always found a way to lose to someone that we were not supposed to.

In 2000, we didn't play anybody until the 9th game. In 2011, we beat some good teams, but something was missing.

We might lose, but I am not expecting it like I was in other years.

dang, my bad, got trolled by OP and took the bait***

Nov 1, 2015, 7:31 PM

Re: I am by far less nervous than I have ever been as a Clemson

Nov 1, 2015, 7:41 PM [ in reply to I am by far less nervous than I have ever been as a Clemson ]

Yes, something was missing - our defense. Going 8-0 in 2011 was like living on borrowed time. Giving up 30 a game was going to catch up with us sooner or later. 6-0 in 2013 felt much better, but the FSU rout settled that. The team this year just feels different. Maybe its just me.

Nov 1, 2015, 7:50 PM

Difference is we have a great QB and a good defense and that takes some of the nerves out. Not a Patriots or Packers fan but it just shows that with a great QB you're going to win or almost win every game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2015, 7:51 PM

Being well over 40, this is what Clemson football was like in the 80's, and beginning the 90's. We expected to win every game, conference championship, and be in the hunt for the NC. This all ended very frustratingly when Danny Ford was forced into resigning. We were loaded for another championship run. Ken Hatfield was hired. He took the most talented team in the nation, and backed into a 10-2 year. It was plain frustrating! The worst 10 win season EVER, At this point Clemson had NEVER lost to UVA. It was the longest streak of its kind. Two loses that were unacceptable, losing to UVA, and SCar. Hatfield went 9-3 the following year including losses to UVA, and SCar. He was fired only a few years after. Prob had one of the better records of a coach to be fired over performance issues. We expected to be in the hunt every year. Hatfield was boo'd at home following a 10 win season. That's why Dabo has been a breath of fresh air. Returning the football world to its rightful place. USuCk is supposed to very rarely make a bowl. Never win one. (First bowl win 1996 Car Quest bowl Coach Brad Scott) We could hold the "no bowl wins" over the chickens heads until then. The five year streak was painful to watch. SCar having success at all was painful. It seems that too is over.(fingers crossed) But, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. We finally started getting offensive & defensive lineman as good as our skill players under Dabo. Dabo was beating the "big" programs regularly. He brought back the standard of being the best. Capable of winning any game we play in. This, to me is Clemson football! We now have the same type of defense as old. The offense is light years better. The triple option was pretty boring at times. But, everyone was running it pretty much back then. This new brand of Tiger football is the real deal. Clemson is regaining the respect we once held as a standard! Good to be back! No, GREAT to be back! Keep it going, Dabo! Another Clemson Championship! ACC meaning, at its core!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This team takes on the calmness of DW4

Nov 1, 2015, 8:29 PM

He is just calm, cool, and collected as if nothing bothers him and you see that in the other players as well. It rubs off on them.

The difference is they expect greatness. They're not 'wishing' or 'hoping' for it. They are working hard, preparing with a purpose, and expecting to win every week.

It's certainly a different feel.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep--been there, done that***

Nov 1, 2015, 8:38 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 1, 2015, 8:42 PM

I will never forget the national title run in '80/'81. I was 10 years old and as a kid, I didn't feel any pressure. I talked junk every day to my coot buddies, and had a blast with my Dad at all of the games. Now, I am with you and I am getting more nervous and excited with every win. This definitely feels different than the other years, because we are as good as advertised.

Nov 1, 2015, 9:26 PM

I am always a hot mess watching any Tiger game regardless of record.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic