Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tigers say they've done enough to make the College Football Playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,553

New Story: Tigers say they've done enough to make the College Football Playoff

Dec 4, 2016, 1:49 AM

Tigers say they've done enough to make the College Football Playoff

Clemson’s coaches and players had a strong message for the College Football Playoff Committee following the ACC Championship Game Saturday night: We deserve to be in the playoff.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to work on Defense and Running the Ball

Dec 4, 2016, 8:56 AM

Missed tackles by our linebackers and safeties was painful to watch.

Re: Need to work on Defense and Running the Ball

Dec 4, 2016, 9:04 AM

Why does everybody have to be so critical of every little thing. Folks this team is 12-1 for a reason. They just played a heck of a vt team. Give the kids a break and let's all enjoy this moment bc who knows when it'll be here again.

The 3rd & 12 in the 3rd quarter up 21 was a head scratcher

Dec 4, 2016, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Need to work on Defense and Running the Ball ]

We had all the momentum. Their spirit was broke. 3rd & forever and Bret gets cute. He drops 11 in coverage. I mean really?! A 5'9" guy in coverage against 6'7" Bucky Hodges in si glee coverage when dropping 11?! Was the absolute dumbest call in the HISTORY of college football. Gave them a spark. Put them right back in the game. We were at the point of a blowout. Dabo had already called the offensive dogs off as well. Running Gallman 3 plays in a row right up the middle on a 8 man front plus! I thought Dabo had turned that page the last two weeks, but obviously not. If he pulls this crap in the playoff, it will be a short trip! I hope to see more focus like SC, and Wake Forest. He cannot go vanilla with a 21 point lead. He has to stay aggressive from kickoff until final whistle.
I digress. Great win! Huge win! We retook our rightful place atop the ACC! The Noel's snuck in while we were down and stole our King of the hill spot for a while! But, Dabo has reclaimed that, finally! I watched the press conference after the game. Fuente said he was going for two on that final drive. He has the killer instinct. I doubt he would have gotten it.
Now, to address your point. I agree. The linebackers have been a problem area all year. I disagree on the safety play. I think Jadar Johnson & Van Smith have done an outstanding job all year including tonight. The busts were all on linebackers. Mainly Boulware, and Jalen Smith. I think we have much more athletic backers coming up soon. Tre Lamar being one of them. He has great instincts, and rarely blew coverages from the film I've watched in high school. We're going to have to clean that up. That's Bama's bread & butter. Wheel routes, tight ends, etc. I don't worry about Ohio St as much. They aren't very exciting at all. Kind of vanilla. But, if we play like we did last night against anyone in the playoff, it's an early exit. That Va Tech team got beat by Pawwwwl Johnson's bunch!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The 3rd & 12 in the 3rd quarter up 21 was a head scratcher

Dec 5, 2016, 11:43 AM

Venables had to have called that goofy coverage unless the guys got it wrong ( which could have happened if they messed up reading the signals from the sideline--which I doubt ).

I have said this for a while: Tony Elliott as play caller has to stay agressive! And lose the old Rob Spence playbook with those stupid, telegraphed bubble screens! I would have thought that after the Pitt game fiasco when Tony went brain dead he would have learned when to run and when to pass. And, Dabo who is listening on his own headset to the calls, has to step in and tell Tony to quit calling that crap, even if it means using a timeout.

These coaches need to learn critical thinking skills and stop thinking like jocks. Do what the defense doesn't expect. A great example was the option pass to Renfro for the last TD--I want to see more creativity like that....

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,553
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic