Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2020 Heisman - This is our year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 817

2020 Heisman - This is our year

Sep 19, 2020, 10:13 AM

Clemson will have our first Heisman winner in 2020. I realize that after DW4 was snubbed, many of us don't put much stock in this award. However, the fact remains it is a major award and we've never had a player win one of them. Here is my case for your consideration.

Fact 1: TL is widely considered the best player in college football. This was true back before Covid-19 sidetracked everything. TL is also a near lock for the #1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft. This fact helps give his campaign a head start. He doesn't have to come from out of nowhere, gain a ton of ground at the end of the season much like Burrow last year. TL is already a Heisman front runner.

Fact 2: The ACC will play 25% more games than the SEC, and nearly 50% more games than the Big 10. Obviously, with more offensive plays, TL's numbers will be much higher than any player in either of those conferences. And while logic should dictate that the voters would consider that obvious fact, we know from previous years that logic isn't at the top of the menu (ex. Lamar Jackson). I would throw in the fact that the PAC12 probably won't even play, but they, and their players, simply don't matter.

Fact 3: TL isn't the only Heisman candidate on our offense. ETN stands to break every Clemson and ACC record for a running back by mid-season. He's on track to crack the top ten of the NCAA Career Rushing leaders of ALL-TIME. More than Hershel Walker. More than LaDainian Tomlinson. With ETN and TL, we have 2 very strong candidates for the Heisman. I predict both will be in NY for the awards ceremony. TL currently has the best odds, and ETN the 4th best odds. (https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/ncaaf/heisman-odds-spencer-rattler-improve-missouri-state-week3-september-2020/)

Well, there it is, straight-forward and easy to digest. I wanted to offer my thoughts on this issue as I think about it a lot and I've been pissed off for 4 years about DW4 not winning it in 2016. Hopefully my take on the landscape for the 2020 Heisman gets you a little fired up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2020 Heisman - This is our year

Sep 19, 2020, 10:21 AM

I hope you're correct, but I have my doubts.

One must factor in the political and social winds that are currently blowing about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2020, 10:31 AM

He’s got to have a great year.

The media will be pumping up Justin fields and chuba Howard.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention Spencer Rattler***

Sep 19, 2020, 10:37 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2020, 10:57 AM

I feel like Trevor will win it with decent stats AND a National Championship this year. That way a cumulative career might overpower a flashy 5-7 touchdowns per game some of the other contenders may post because they play all four quarters. .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Natty doesn't factor in. Heisman is awarded before

Sep 19, 2020, 11:01 AM

the playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Natty doesn't factor in. Heisman is awarded before

Sep 19, 2020, 11:26 AM

Don't know what I was thinking. This Covid has me mis-confused.

Those 25 and 50% numbers are

Sep 19, 2020, 10:59 AM

Way, way off unless you are assuming numerous cancellations for those conferences and none for us.

Best case scenarios for each conference (including CG):

ACC - 12
SEC/Big XII - 11
Big Ten - 9

That's like 9% and 33%.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2020, 11:06 AM

Would be a nice change to the award for 2020 to be the start of voting for Heisman after the season due to COVID and common sense!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

The Heisman has been dead to me since it was stolen from DW4***

Sep 19, 2020, 11:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The Heisman has been dead to me since it was stolen from DW4***

Sep 19, 2020, 11:36 AM

I could care less about the Heisman Award. When DW4 was snubbed, I decided it held no allure any longer. About as useless as an Oscar or a Nobel award. Done with it, only team achievements won on the field are meaningful.

Message was edited by: HowardsBoy®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Re: The Heisman has been dead to me since it was stolen from DW4***

Sep 19, 2020, 11:39 AM

Same here, if they want anyone to respect it they need to move it to the end of the season and they owe us at least 2 Heisman’s.

Deshaun & Spiller

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 11
| visibility 817
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic