Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nascar is so boring and out of touch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 151

Nascar is so boring and out of touch

Apr 13, 2019, 8:03 PM

Never really was into Nascar but it's so out of touch now and younger people have no interest.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still don't know why sponsors pay all that money

Apr 13, 2019, 8:07 PM

to have their logo on a car when nobody is watching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still don't know why sponsors pay all that money

Apr 13, 2019, 9:37 PM

Knew some guys that were into it and they asked me if I wanted to come over, drink beer, eat food and watch the race. I lied to them and said my wife said I had to clean the gutters. Guess what I did? I cleaned the gutters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still don't know why sponsors pay all that money

Apr 14, 2019, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Still don't know why sponsors pay all that money ]

The end of nascar was the car of tomorrow. All cars are the same now. Back in the day when nascar was an actual stock car that was a cool time.

Agreed

Apr 14, 2019, 2:23 PM

Make it about the car and crew

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I was really into it back in the late 90’s and

Apr 13, 2019, 10:47 PM

Re: Nascar is so boring and out of touch

Apr 13, 2019, 10:51 PM

With Jr done I have nobody to pull for. I reckon Austin Dillon but it just doesn't feel the same. I still like to watch Dayton and Dega but that's it.

Apr 13, 2019, 11:01 PM

NASCAR is just like any other company. Third generation usually ruins it. When the third generation assumed control they wanted to make it more corporate and appeal to a nationwide demographic. What they failed to realize was they alienated their main fan base in doing so.

I think the light bulb may be starting to flicker in someone’s head over in management because they are bringing back traditional tracks such as Martinsville and Rockingham. They’ve also moved Darlington into the Chase at the end of the year. Something that was long overdue. Now if they would only turn some of these young gun drivers loose and let them develop some real rivalries and dust ups, then they might turn it around. Otherwise it’s a dead horse.

your just one dumb donkey who doesnt understand

Apr 13, 2019, 11:12 PM

the hardness it takes for NASCAR drivers to be good and win. It is a powerful sport.

Re: your just one dumb donkey who doesnt understand

Apr 13, 2019, 11:19 PM

So do you believe NASCAR is doing better now than in the 90s and early 2000s?

Apr 13, 2019, 11:38 PM [ in reply to your just one dumb donkey who doesnt understand ]

Flaccid is the word you better relate to Chris/cross.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2019, 10:18 AM [ in reply to your just one dumb donkey who doesnt understand ]

You sound like an expert on hardnesses .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 14, 2019, 1:22 PM

I better be. I’m a metallurgist.

You’re off to a great start on T-Net ... 15% pulse in 2 wks.***

Apr 14, 2019, 1:32 PM [ in reply to your just one dumb donkey who doesnt understand ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jesus H Christ, that grammar of yours.***

Apr 14, 2019, 4:28 PM [ in reply to your just one dumb donkey who doesnt understand ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Apr 13, 2019, 11:17 PM

Strange that they're struggling in a sport that really doesn't have any competition from other "racing type" sport in the United States . I mean , they're basically alone in it and they race from like February through November ?
I guess Ricky Bobby's deadbeat daddy was right after all ....if you're not first your last .

DB23

I don't know that my take explains anything,

Apr 14, 2019, 12:06 AM

but the progression I have seen is:

1. Cars sold on Monday were raced on Sunday.
2. A car made purely to race on Sunday was sold on Monday (the Daytona and Superbird)
3. Those were outlawed to bring conformity to #1.
4. Now all cars are made to race that have no relation to cars sold on Monday, and #1 is barely a memory.

Its a glorified IROC race, and we saw how long that lasted. There is no room left for the mechanic or the driver to really make much of a difference, not in the way a normal ticket buyer can relate to. Ask why Bill Elliott blew everyone off the track for several years, and the answer is that his brother Ernie was just a better engine builder and ran a better shop. That is how heroes are made, imo, and heroes sell tickets. Ask why this or that person won a race today and the answer is either 4 paragraphs long or, "better gas mileage". Nobody is really any faster than anyone else, and when racing is no longer about speed it is pretty hard to sell tickets, I think.

That is way too many words to say exactly what you did: Its boring.

Re: I don't know that my take explains anything,

Apr 14, 2019, 1:00 AM

I both agree and disagree with this, lol.

You're right that it's lost any true identity, but I don't know that I can agree that it's less competitive now (your point about the cars basically being "spec" cars). In a sense, the closeness of the cars makes it more competitive than it's ever been. "Any car can win on any given day" kinda thing. (Not really true, but more so than ever)

The conveniently forgotten part about "the good ol' days" is that the top 3 or 4 drivers would frequently be laps ahead of the field, especially at short tracks, with the winner sometimes winning by a few laps over second place. Yeah, the best driver, car, and team won, and there was a definite "identity" to all of them, but how was that better than now, from a competitive sense?

I think the real problem is another point touched on here. Personalities. It IS too corporate now. Not enough room for the drivers et. all to just be themselves and have fun.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know that my take explains anything,

Apr 14, 2019, 10:20 AM [ in reply to I don't know that my take explains anything, ]

This made great sense . Good poast ! +1

DB23

Apr 14, 2019, 1:16 AM

I used to watch NASCAR a lot back in the late '90s and 2000's. I could tell you every driver by car number and looked forward to the race every weekend. But... as the big multi-car teams started to dominate the sport, I lost interest. The smaller teams (i.e. 1 or 2 cars at the most) couldn't really compete with the big money teams and winning started to be a function of who puts the most money into their car instead of driver skill/talent. Hendrick was putting more money into their car R&D program than most of the smaller teams had for a total operating budget.

A couple of years after Dale Earnhardt died I gave it up all together as the business side of NASCAR swallowed up the competition/sport side. NASCAR's greed for corporate dollars led them to forsake their NASCAR roots. Combine that with the inundation of young corporate poster children drivers that all seemed like they were popped out of the same dull mold and you have the makings for a decline in the fan base.

My brother-in-law still watches NASCAR so I hear about it every now and then from him but from what I hear - doesn't seem like much has changed since I stopped watching it. The big money car teams win 90% of the races because that is about all that you have in the sport now - multi-car teams with cookie cutter drivers....BORING....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2019, 1:23 AM

You're a car person? What do you do with your car? Drive it to the shop for an oil change?

This is racing

Apr 14, 2019, 8:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdUnK42e5M

200+ mph on the rear wheel of a motorcycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SfcsecKUL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCTmwZX5fE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpy4cJzTqr8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2019, 1:17 PM

Nascar has been in a death spiral for some time. The sport began with drivers out running the cops hauling shine. Bill France Sr. was smart enough to see this and figure out that people would pay money to see these bad boys race cars. Their image drew fans in droves from far and wide to see them compete against one another. Compete they did. Nascar was a southern tradition steeped in rebel pride. A sport unique to the south, something we could call our own. The Southern 500, Labor Day, Darlington "The Granddaddy of them all."

As people either became too old or died out, the guard began to change. Hey, the new guys said lets make it a nation-wide sport, bring in the wine and cheese crowd. Well they did and in the process they over saturated the market. The made all cars more or less equal, took away the bad boy image to placate the wine and cheese crowd; but it did not work.

The only way to save Nascar is to reduce the season, remove all of the restriction crap, let the best teams and best drivers go head to head and may the best team win.

Finally, Nascar better say to yell with the wine and cheese crowd. You need to get your base back that you deserted, the Budweiser and bologna bunch!! JMO

It's utter nonsense....go back to stockcar racing

Apr 14, 2019, 1:37 PM

Get them fresh off of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge assembly line and race them!

They should have NCAA collegiate racing with stock cars

Apr 14, 2019, 1:40 PM

Put the paw on the hood and I'll have someone to pull for!

Apr 14, 2019, 1:56 PM

Imsince the recession NASCAR has continued to decline while local tracks are thriving. The alien ration of the grass roots fan base killed NASCAR and it will never come back.

Apr 14, 2019, 2:19 PM

Other reasons are segment racing which nobody I know likes.

Also throw in elitism. Years ago it was expected that at least once a week one could go to a local store and meet a big name driver here in Charleston. Sometimes more drivers and appearances happened in a week during the off season. Last I remember seeing locally was a back up car of a mid level driver and that was about a decade ago. I haven't heard of a NASCAR personal appearance here in Charleston since then.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2019, 2:44 PM

Have lived just over 4 miles above the Charlotte Speedway since late 1986. The only race event attended was a midweek Legends car race about 20 years ago because the wife and kids wanted to see the July 4th fireworks afterward. Never caught on to NASCAR. Have seen CMS expand seating around most of the track and then later reduce it quite a bit. Interesting how the sport has lost so much popularity. Seems it began after Dale Sr died, the other popular drivers leaving and no one appeared with whom the fans could better identify. While in high school, attended a couple of races at G'ville-Pickens in the early 60s and enjoyed going to Greer Drag strip which included seeing a couple of classmates occasionally race their street cars, one a 54 Jaguar roadster and 64 GTO. That and attending a higher sanctioned drag race at G'ville's Donaldson AFB were my best racing experiences.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 14, 2019, 2:56 PM

You remembered Jonny Allen and Butch Lindly?

Apr 14, 2019, 4:15 PM

I recall Butch Lindly mainly from seeing his name in the paper quite a bit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 14, 2019, 2:45 PM

Watched in 70s and 80s. Brother told me there are cars in parking lot faster than cars on track.

Replies: 30
| visibility 151
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic