Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Name a safe vaccine developed in less than 5 yrs.. ok.. how about 10 years?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Name a safe vaccine developed in less than 5 yrs.. ok.. how about 10 years?

Apr 15, 2020, 11:32 PM

The answer: none.

How long did the AIDS vaccine take? How about the SARS vaccine? Answer to both: Never. They don't exist.

RNA petaflop based discovery or not, vaccines are incredibly complicated and time consuming to safely deploy. Nine women cannot gestate a baby in one month.

Net: saying, as the Illinois gov said, "we won't have any large gatherings without a covid19 vaccine" is incredibly dangerously naive. Everybody will have died of jobless starvation before then if that's the case. Exercise common sense like the Swedes, and go back to work. People will die one way or the other. Likely, fewer will die using the herd immunity approach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Name a safe vaccine developed in less than 5 yrs.. ok.. how about 10 years?

Apr 16, 2020, 6:43 AM

So we shouldn't try to develop a vaccine ? Or any vaccines ?

What would you have us do then , mrtouchdown ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 16, 2020, 7:10 AM

By all means, we should work towards a vaccine. But we should also confront the cold truth that the only way out of this in the next few years is through herd immunity....which means people will die and the lockdowns are needless at this point

Apr 16, 2020, 7:21 AM

Totally disagree with you on the needlessness of these current guidelines .
I think they're the best measure available and I believe they work .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Amen Tigerdug23 ***

Apr 16, 2020, 9:37 AM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing is for certain...

Apr 16, 2020, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Name a safe vaccine developed in less than 5 yrs.. ok.. how about 10 years? ]

bmoretiger and I won't be sharing a foxhole.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen Salty and I agree 100% on that one. When they ask for

Apr 16, 2020, 9:28 AM

volunteers for the "herd" to be slaughtered what do you want to guess he won't be among them?

Re: Amen Salty and I agree 100% on that one. When they ask for

Apr 16, 2020, 3:02 PM

well, dr. oz was on Hannity the other night arguing that 1.5 to 2 million children dying, in the interests of herd immunity, wouldn't be too steep a price to pay.

I dont think you understand the purpose of the lockdowns

Apr 16, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Name a safe vaccine developed in less than 5 yrs.. ok.. how about 10 years? ]

and social distancing. The goal is to slowly build herd immunity rather than get half the country infected at once. It's inevitable that many will eventually get the virus.

Tigerdug23 nails it! I mean do we just give up then? Of

Apr 16, 2020, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Name a safe vaccine developed in less than 5 yrs.. ok.. how about 10 years? ]

course not. I honestly believe this too shall pass and the only way for this virus to win if for our leaders to give up or especially to give up too early. My mother is 84 and I'm NOT ready to just tell her to go gentle into that good night.

Apr 16, 2020, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Name a safe vaccine developed in less than 5 yrs.. ok.. how about 10 years? ]

Probably, there are some that can be developed very quickly. The problem is all the testing, retesting, re-re-testing required in the USA prior to a product being approved for sale to the public. There are many products used successfully in other countries for years prior to our US approval for sale. Granted we want to be safe, but sometimes it's excessive to a fault. How do I know? Chemical/pharma industry background. We have developed lots of products that were successfully used for many years in other countries prior to approval in our country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Polio***

Apr 16, 2020, 6:52 AM

Re: Polio***

Apr 16, 2020, 9:06 AM

Dr Salk began his research in 1950!

Re: Polio***

Apr 16, 2020, 9:48 AM

The total timeline for the Polio vaccine was 57 years. Jonas Salk was the last man standing and built upon the work of the others before him. The problem with a vaccine clinical trial is that you have to prove a patient did not contract a disease - proving a negative. In other kinds of clinical trials, you prove that someone who already has the disease or condition was cured. This is why pharmaceutical companies for the most part don’t do vaccine development - the payoff takes a long time.

So the task is left to universities or small biotech companies to come up with something that works and then big pharma is good at taking over, scaling up and popping out billions of doses.

Therefore we are years from a vaccine. Corona is a variant of SARS which a vaccine has been searched for years already which the OP pointed out still has no vaccine. So those who say let’s stay the course until a vaccine is found don’t understand the process - FDA or no FDA.

Polio was a fear and threat during my

Apr 16, 2020, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Polio*** ]

childhood. I was born in 1938. The Salk vaccine was developed long after I was an adult. That was decades, not years in developing. I can remember that there times we could not go to movies or swimming because of outbreaks. I knew two kids from my school who caught it. They wore braces forever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does the yearly flu vaccine count?

Apr 16, 2020, 6:55 AM

Polio is the other option.
Maybe Hepislav by Dynavax as well

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work the problem

Apr 16, 2020, 6:58 AM

That’s what Doers do

They work the problem

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnson and Johnson says they will have close to a billion

Apr 16, 2020, 7:33 AM

doses of their vaccine by April next year.

Re: Johnson and Johnson says they will have close to a billion

Apr 16, 2020, 7:37 AM

Hadn't heard that . That's cool.

DB23

Apr 16, 2020, 9:09 AM

The FDA doesn’t act quickly. Some lobbyist will make millions if a vaccine is approved quickly.

Apr 16, 2020, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Johnson and Johnson says they will have close to a billion ]

I, nor anyone in my family, will be getting any vaccine made by J&J. A company that has been causing cancer for years, publicly documented and paid 72 million dollars in a recent lawsuit due to causing ovarian cancer in a child, is rushing out a vaccine--that's great news! No thanks. We will take our chances with COVID-19: https://time.com/4239561/johnson-and-johnson-toxic-ingredients/

Apr 16, 2020, 8:46 AM

Left wing looks, you know the ones alaways whining about their rights, seem to have no problem with being forced to live under house arrest pretty much forever. Just keep those grocery stores open and them gubmint checks rolling in and they are content to hide under their bed indefinitely.

What we're doing is working and so far we are looking pretty

Apr 16, 2020, 9:14 AM

good on the starvation front. My wife is one of those with masks and gloves handing out food and you wouldn't believe how "healthy" some of those there in the food line appear. They don't appear to be missing meals but that could be a sign of eating in a malnutritional manner of course. I don't know.
Still it's too early yet but I get your point and believe me the political leaders do as well. My opinion is to stay the course and for those who are so ready to see others die, you be the person who picks out the next person who should die. Will you head for you someone in your own family? Because that is who it could be. Perhaps you choose yourself? Somehow I doubt that. Right now lets do our best to keep the death toll to a minimum please.

The Vaccine Against Coots Winning Football

Apr 16, 2020, 9:20 AM

Was developed by Will mud chump in merely weeks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For a morbid tiger you are hilarious!! Well done!!

Apr 16, 2020, 9:29 AM

Go Tigers!

I'm sure Bill Gates will make this an XP version, not a

Apr 16, 2020, 9:49 AM

"Millennium" version.

Trust him.

Cootamoxicillin....very effective,but it took Dabo about 9

Apr 16, 2020, 9:50 AM

years to develop.

LOL "Everybody will have died...

Apr 16, 2020, 11:12 AM

...of jobless starvation before then."

That's hilarious. No one has said we are still hard quarantined for years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Bloomberg and Steyer have billions

Apr 16, 2020, 11:39 AM

They now have time on their hands. Why not fund some vaccine research since they were so concerned about everyone here. I'll bet you money their campaigns stiffed a bunch of businesses and folks when they closed just like every other candidate does

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a friend here in this small town where I live

Apr 16, 2020, 1:41 PM

Who, with a few other guys from his graduating class at Wake Forest, began a medical research company in the Research Triangle Park in the Raleigh- Durham area. Shortly after beginning their business they were approached by a wealthy lady from Florida who agreed to finance the entire project if they would concentrate on developing a cure for a disease that her daughter was afflicted with at the time. He never told me what it was and I didn’t ask but after a few years they were successful at finding the cure. He told me that the FDA would not move quickly on their findings and time was of the essence. So, they hired a special Washington lobbyist who knew which strings to pull to get the Drug folks to cooperate. At great expense, they were able to get their cure on the market much more quickly that normal. He is now a wealthy young man! So, it can be done and we all hope that it will.

Apr 16, 2020, 2:00 PM

If someone did not say it already but the N1H1 (swine flu) was developed within a calendar year. N1H1 appeared in humans around mid 2008, surged in late spring 2009 (note it takes a few months to identify and develop) and by late 2009 was available as a vaccine.

Apr 16, 2020, 3:30 PM

Sounds like someone knew the right folks!

Define safe vaccine.

Apr 16, 2020, 3:52 PM

How many adverse events are we willing to tolerate?

No vaccine is 100% safe. Most vaccines are safe for most people, but for those they aren't, they can be detrimental.

Knowing who is most susceptible to vaccine harm is the key, and the only way to know that with any reasonable certainty is to study vaccine outcomes for many years. Even this doesn't provide a clear picture, as there are raging debates to this day over the safety of commonly administered vaccines such as MMR.

I am not trying to start a vaccine debate. But I am asking the question, because it's key to whether or not a vaccine for COVID-19 is an acceptable solution or not.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic