Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCSU is thin at QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

NCSU is thin at QB

Oct 12, 2018, 9:12 AM

While Finley is arguably one of the best QB's in the country, hitting 70% of his passes, his backup has only thrown ONE pass. ONE pass. That's a recipe for disaster IMO. Why has Dave D not played "Thayer The Slayer" more often? They have had 3 or 4 games that he could have had some serious PT.

Anyway, NCSU had better hope that their OLine protects Finley as well as they did last year. I think we only had 1-2 sacks on Finley, and maybe a couple of hurries. Our DLine is even better this year, so Finley is in trouble IMO.

If Finley plays the entire game, then our secondary needs to have their best game, as he seems to be extremely accurate early in games. He does seem to miss his targets late in games. 10 TD's but 3 INT's so far.

What NCSU did not see last year is our vastly improved RUN game. They have no idea what's coming at them. And we can now stretch the field with TL throwing lasers. I have no doubt that CLEMSON scores 35+, but I see NCSU scoring 20+ if Finley stays upright.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCSU is thin at QB

Oct 12, 2018, 9:33 AM

Agree! When we play teams like NC state and Syracuse that like to get the ball out quick( high completion percentage) Clemson needs to play more press coverage earlier to throw off their timing. We have big enough and physical enough corners to do that now. Then that’s when you will see the Big Nasties get to Finley.

Oct 12, 2018, 9:41 AM

^^Correct, but that requires that our DLine is getting pressure on Finley. We were not able to do that effectively last year. I think our DLine is good enough to do that this year. I'm anxious to see XT late in the game, as I think he gets to Finley often against a tired OLine. When that happens, CLEMSON will dominate NCSU.

Oct 12, 2018, 12:07 PM

Finley gets the ball out FAST by design. All short timing routes to keep the QB clean. Our D needs to key on that. I would drop the D-Line back into passing lanes at times to mess with him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

XT needs to play ALOT ... beat their OT's with speed

Oct 12, 2018, 9:45 AM

and dirty up NCSU's QB jersey.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thayer is their WR

Oct 12, 2018, 9:56 AM

so technically they haven't even played their true backup QB yet

Oct 12, 2018, 11:16 AM

I never want to see an opposing player get injured. That said, I'd love to see Finley get slammed into Doeren on the sideline by our DL.

Oct 12, 2018, 12:14 PM

There’s a special defensive of play called Syracuse that will do that...

I'm hoping BV has an answer for the quick passes NCState

Oct 12, 2018, 11:29 AM

threw at us all game last year - because he didn't have an answer then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm hoping BV has an answer for the quick passes NCState

Oct 12, 2018, 12:15 PM

Ray Ray McCloud was also playing corner that game. Mullen, Fields, and Terrell are significant talent increases from that situation

Ga State is their only blowout win.***

Oct 12, 2018, 12:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ga State is their only blowout win.***

Oct 12, 2018, 12:52 PM

True but we were blowing out UVA til garbage time and dominated BC. We had 39 first downs to their 12 and outgained then by 250 yards.

Oct 12, 2018, 12:51 PM

Finley isn't necessarily going to be the easiest to get to, though.

As a lot of people have noted, Finley gets the ball out quick. One, two, three - bang - and the ball is gone. They use the fact that their big WR's - Kelvin Harmon and Jakobi Meyers - on the outside can get off the press and win 1-on-1's on the outside to very good effect there. Also, Finley doesn't miss much. A lot of draftniks have him as the #1 QB in the draft...and as we've seen, the dude can play. He can also run some and will fight for first downs...which is likely where he'll get hurt if he does, but our guys are not usually the sort to target QB's just because they're out. Not really Dabo's style.

The other thing that helps him is he's got his LT, LG, and C all back from last year's very good OL - and they're all redshirt seniors who have played a gazillion snaps. Starting LT Tyler Jones is probably an OG at the next level (he's only about 6'3") but he and OC Garrett Bradbury both are on the NFL radar and could have their names called on draft day. They are replacing a king-sized RT off last year's line (Will Richardson) who bolted early and is now a Carolina Panther with a smaller-though-still-large RS sophomore in Justin Witt...how Witt holds up against the likes of Austin Bryant and XT will probably be key.

Not offensive-related, but the Pack did lose their entire starting four off the DL from last season. The replacements have looked okay so far against modest opposition but you don't lose four seniors - one of whom is Bradley Chubb - and get better on D.

Oct 12, 2018, 1:46 PM

Actually, the defense is statistically better than last years team in all areas. However, I would say that's because of weak competition. Clemson will be the first good offense State has faced. I expect State to give up a lot of points to Clemson. The question is can State actually score on Clemson. If they can then this will be an entertaining game. If not.....I expect a game similar to Clemson / Wake Forest. Regardless of State scoring...I think Clemson wins this game comfortably.

Oct 12, 2018, 2:25 PM

redculler said:

Actually, the defense is statistically better than last years team in all areas. However, I would say that's because of weak competition. Clemson will be the first good offense State has faced. I expect State to give up a lot of points to Clemson. The question is can State actually score on Clemson. If they can then this will be an entertaining game. If not.....I expect a game similar to Clemson / Wake Forest. Regardless of State scoring...I think Clemson wins this game comfortably.

I don't see us running over you guys the way we did Wake Forest unless you guys just turn the ball over a bunch. You're bigger, more athletic, and a lot deeper than Wake was, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

History tells us this will likely be a shootout. Finley and the passing game is legit and that gives you guys a puncher's chance, and Clemson has been hit-or-miss on offense with our freshman QB's.

Oct 12, 2018, 2:29 PM

He has a lot of experience as a 6th year senior but he must be slow in the head or something, bless his heart.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic