Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse

Feb 11, 2019, 8:59 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25967506/portals-waivers-future-college-football-free-agency

This is the first year of a process that is approving almost 80% of immediate transfer request. The language reads:

"the transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete."

This is the first year of the process and players are reading the same articles. Next year we will not only see an increased number of players leaving for playing time, but also players leaving because they have shown the ability to compete at a bigger school. I don't think any of us doubt Bama's ability to reach out to quality players at lesser schools.

Could it be argued that a position coach leaving directly impacts the well-being of the student athlete?

How about a recent discovery that I want to pursue a new major not offered by my current school?

If Dabo left I could even make the argument the whole team should leave. A good lawyer can win with that language every time.

Unfortunately the NCAA set a standard and can't change/enforce new rules without the "pay for play" supporters turning this into a lawsuit to protect player rights.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Pandora's Box has been opened.***

Feb 11, 2019, 9:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pandora's Box has been opened.***

Feb 11, 2019, 1:35 PM

Indeed it has. Not only will those players in the transfer portal be competing for a spot along with others in the portal but will also have to compete with the high school senior prospects. I have no idea how the numbers will play out but tend to believe most will find their only option is a lower division school. Maybe that's where they should have gone originally. However, if they want playing time and exposure to the pro scouts, they may come out a winner.

Looking at our program, we are at a level and a have a coaching staff that grant playing time to more team members than most schools. That keeps a lot of players happy. QB is probably the only position where there is no substitution unless there is an injury or mop=up duty. Only in rare situations does the 3rd. string QB earn playing time.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse

Feb 11, 2019, 9:09 AM

Would it not be players who either aren't going to play much within the next year or two, or players who don't really want to be there in anyway? Why would you want to make a kid who doesn't want to be on your team remain there? Isn't that bad for team morale?

Feb 11, 2019, 9:18 AM

What about a player who wants to leave Wake because he showed in year 1 he is good enough to start at Bama?

A position coach leaves for a head coaching job and his entire position group wants to leave to follow him?

Add to that the 5* players who are not satisfied with playing back up at all and start leaving programs because they are not named the starter during spring practice.

null

Feb 11, 2019, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse ]

It will be a minor factor for s overall, but could make a difference with backup QB's who don't want to wait.

Feb 11, 2015, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse ]

It’s not illegal for a kid who “ don’t want to be there” to transfer.They should have to sit out. They went thru the recruiting process and they all are told if they can beat out whoever is ahead of them they will play.It sucks but sometimes they can’t beat out the one ahead of them.

Is Clemson moving?***

Feb 11, 2019, 9:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Feb 11, 2019, 9:28 AM

This is simple giving kids power to avoid paying them IMO.

The levy is breached in that regard, and they are slowing the spill. Players will be paid soon once this comes to a head. Then they'll sign contracts to play at a college

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At such time I will find a different hobby to

Feb 11, 2015, 10:50 PM

Dump money in.

Always enjoyed fishing..but the bass are smarter than me.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: At such time I will find a different hobby to

Feb 11, 2019, 9:45 AM

That is why one uses dynamite and a dip net.

Where does 1 get good dynamite now?

Feb 11, 2019, 10:58 AM

All the stuff on the shelf is made in China.

Re: Where does 1 get good dynamite now?

Feb 11, 2019, 4:50 PM

Well back in my younger days before 9/11 it was from friends in construction. Used it to blow stumps and open holes in caves, both silly ideas that sounded great at the time.

Feb 11, 2019, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse ]

I was leaning this direction 2 years ago. Now I think the new football leagues offer another option for players and give the NCAA an out. I hope we will see players who want to be paid pushed to other leagues. The NCAA is about students and those who want to be in college.

null

Did I read/hear that 1500 players are registered in transfer portal?!

Geez!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2019, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse ]

Absolutely 100%

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Worse for some, but not for student-athletes themselves***

Re: Worse for some, but not for student-athletes themselves***

Feb 11, 2019, 10:54 AM

Which student athletes? Those that want to transfer or those that put in the work and then get forced into a transfer because teams are culling the roster?

We complain about the SEC cutting players now. What stops them from forcing 20+ players out every year because they need room for free agents.

null

The parents and student-athletes will have to start

Feb 11, 2019, 1:09 PM

Paying attention

A lot of really, really bad publicity for one thing***

Feb 11, 2019, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Worse for some, but not for student-athletes themselves*** ]

Don't we want more freedom and fewer regulations?***

That's for guns and walls only.***

Feb 11, 2019, 11:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Can you tell me this then?

Feb 11, 2019, 10:29 AM

Why should coaches be able to jump from one school to the other without having to sit out if the players can’t do the same? Willie Taggart is going on his 3rd school in 4 years without sitting out.

Most of these players commit to a coach, coordinator, or position coach because they have the most impact on them achieving their likely goals of making it to the next level.

Of course the “mitigating circumstances” is intentionally broad but I’m not going to hold it against a kid for trying to find the best situation for himself when the coaches that recruit him to be locked into a place for 4-5 years when the coach can jump at any time.

Coaches are penalized by paying

Feb 11, 2019, 10:42 AM

buyout money - players are punished by sitting a year. Why is this not fair? If you don't have rules how can a program be stable ? To build depth at each position is necessary and if all the 2nd stringers get mad and transfer there will be no depth

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaches are penalized by paying

Feb 11, 2019, 11:12 AM

The school that is hiring the coaches are the ones that normally pay the buyout money if there is any. Unless that same coach leaves to take another new job in quick succession in which case they’d normally owe that back if it’s stated in their contract.

So if we’re working off the same principle, the players’ new schools should be able to eat the “sit out” year like they do the coaches buyouts should they be subject to any. Then if they player transferred again, they’d be subject to sitting out 2 years.

Feb 11, 2019, 11:31 AM

Not exactly comparing apple to apples and a key reason why players should not be committing to a coach. The coach has nothing to do with the agreement a player signs to receive financial aid from a University. Coaches are employees of the University. Players are student athletes who are subject to the rules of the NCAA.

If they want to be employees they can get a job somewhere else, but something tells me walking away from a contract will not be that simple.

Defenders of the transfer portal choose to diminish the agreement a player enters in to receive the opportunity to attend a University. I completely agree that all people have the right to pursue compensation based on their ability. The University system holds no responsibility to offer this level of compensation and if a player chooses to accept scholarship it is their responsibility to uphold that agreement or be held accountable. Unless they choose an alternate path outside of the NCAA.

null

Feb 11, 2019, 2:08 PM

Let’s be honest with ourselves, kids commit to a coaching staff. And if athletes are bound to a contract that they signed, why is the same not applicable to coaches? If we’re binding people to contracts everyone should be bound by the contracts they sign.

Feb 11, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaches are penalized by paying ]

A recruit should obviously be comfortable with the school they're planning to attend, but the coaches matter a great deal as well. We see recruits comment all the time on their relationships with the coaches recruiting them, and we've seen countless recruits choose us due to the family atmosphere created by Dabo and his staff. Sure, Clemson itself is a large part of that as well, but if Dabo left tomorrow then it's simply not the same situation that any of our players thought they were getting into whenever they signed.

I know this is an extreme example, but let's say Dabo announced tomorrow that he's going to retire, and we signed Paul Johnson to take his place. You'd then be asking Trevor Lawrence, Ross, Higgins, and our other receivers to be part of an option based offense. For those guys, not only would their coaching staff have been changed, but the entire offensive system would be nothing like they were told it would be when they were being recruited. That would have a huge impact on not only their college experience, but also their potential NFL careers.

Again, that is an extreme example that obviously wouldn't happen here, but I'd say those players should be given the right in that situation to transfer.

Welcome free agency to the world of college football

Feb 11, 2019, 10:37 AM

putting it plain and simple this is the beginning of the end of college football as we know it.

Re: Welcome free agency to the world of college football

Feb 11, 2019, 2:23 PM

I would also see this as an opportunity for less scrupulous coaches to use their conference doormats as farm teams. Backdoor $$$$ could change hands. The whole deal is a definite plus for big name and money teams.

Feb 11, 2019, 10:44 AM

Where will all of these athletes go? I read that there are more players in the portal than there are places for them. I know entering the portal doesn’t mean they have to leave their current school but how long can the schools reserve their scholarships?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2019, 11:16 AM

Saying there’s more players in the portal than there are spots doesn’t make 100% sense since every player entering the portal theoretically creates an open spot so it should be a net-zero proposition.

As far as schools holding scholarships for players in the portal, as far as I know they aren’t required to do that. So, in theory, if you put your name in the portal you should be prepared to not have that scholarship to fall back on. Now obviously if it’s a good player the school wants to keep, that would be a different story.

Feb 11, 2019, 11:34 AM

Not net zero when you include recruiting. My guess is over 60% of transfers are filled by incoming freshman not transfers from other schools.

null

Feb 11, 2019, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA transfers are about to get a lot worse ]

I see your point, BornaTiger, but some how I still believe some kids will end up with nothing, which was not their intent. Are schools scrambling for these transfers, other than a few? I don’t know. Doesn’t seem like it.

Clemson is prepared for this.

Feb 11, 2019, 10:52 AM

I'm not saying that Dabo saw it coming or has some clairvoyant sixth sense but we cull through the boys and eliminate most the divas and ego driven kids. That's included in a category we call character. This system will work well for Clemson football and seldom if ever harm our football program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is prepared for this.

Feb 11, 2019, 1:51 PM

While I see what you are saying, and think Dabo is definitely ahead of this, we are not immune. Just look at the QB position and how many players left since TL got on campus. 4 QBs transferred and only one stayed. It might not be due to "divas and ego driven kids" but they all transferred so they could potentially play somewhere. It's a double-edged sword. I could get behind making kids sit an entire year BUT you have to remember... their years are limited to 5 total. If they have already burned a redshirt year, they would lose a year of the 4 allotted for playing time. That's where the decision is a tough one for me.

Will their be enough JUCO's for the SEC to back fill its ...

Feb 11, 2019, 10:58 AM

vacancies ? ...

Lying to recruits will not be tolerated anymore.

Feb 11, 2019, 11:36 AM

So I get your concern but look at it this way.
A player is offered a scholarship to play at a school and in turn his salary is an education so basically it's a job. So if you look at it as job it s his right if he so chooses to leave that job for a better opportunity. I'm sure all of us have left a job for a better job. How would you like it if someone told you no you cannot leave. We dont walk in these kids shoes we dont know what is going on behind the scenes so let's not judge and get upset over a decision an 18 to 21 year old makes. Just my 2 cents worth. GO TIGERS

Feb 11, 2019, 11:43 AM

I will simply say college athletics is not a job and considering it as such is the basis for this and many other problems college athletics is currently facing. The NCAA needs to have a firm stance on this and let those pursing a job go elsewhere.

null

Feb 11, 2019, 3:42 PM

May not be a job as you and I have per se but the players provide a service in which they work hard every day practicing and lifting weights and watching film and the university sells tickets and shirts and hats and food and they inturn pay the said athletes with an education. Sounds like a job to me. If they dont like where they are why not have the FREEDOM to seek employment elsewhere. Who knows maybe they were lied to during recruiting maybe it wasn't what they were hoping for maybe they are homesick. What does it matter it's their life their education let them do with as they please

Idk, there's over 3000 transfers in the portal for only 300

Feb 11, 2019, 12:15 PM

open slots. Somethings got to give.

Portal is not a commitment. It's like signing up for a dating site

Feb 11, 2019, 2:27 PM

Most of them will end up staying where they are.

Feb 11, 2019, 5:05 PM

Why not let the primadonas go straight to one of these new leagues. It wouldn’t hurt college football, in fact could make it stronger

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I miss the days when college sports were more pure and innocent.

Feb 11, 2019, 5:48 PM

Not to say that things were always perfect, but I personally enjoyed college sports more when players stayed all four years and earned their degrees. College basketball is about one and done players and loads of transfers, whereas you didn’t see all of that in the past. I fear that college football is taking a similar path. It’s a shame.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The one to watch

Feb 11, 2019, 5:54 PM

Tate Martel’s waiver to Miami will be telling. Essentially he is claiming that Meyer said he would be at OSU. If they grant him immediate eligibility then they might as well get rid of the rule altogether.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic