Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA strongly considering changing transfer rules in bball.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

NCAA strongly considering changing transfer rules in bball.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:06 PM

The change would allow transfer to play immediately without sitting out a year. Like or dislike?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA strongly considering changing transfer rules in bball.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:11 PM

I kinda dislike. I think it could open the floodgate of transfers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was thiking the same. It sounds like a bad idea to me.*****

Jan 31, 2018, 9:12 PM

Jan 31, 2018, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA strongly considering changing transfer rules in bball. ]

Against. the UNCs and Dooks would find it easier to rebuild their one&done losses.

But then their 5-Star bench warmers could come play for us

Feb 1, 2018, 11:21 AM

They could play for us right away once they discovered what a mistake they made choosing a blue blood over getting lots of playing time.

Traditionally we’ve had a hard time getting really good players right out of high school, but Brownell has shown just how good a team can become using guys who had regrets about their initial choice.

I think the rule would benefit programs like Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would this effect a pretend class that you were getting an A in.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:18 PM

Seriously though they might as well. They have no credibility after unc in my mind.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:19 PM

Absolutely a terrible consideration by the NCAA. It would create a situation where coaches recruit kids to transfer. Good players that are starting would even transfer to teams where they thought they had a better chance to win a NC. Transfers all over the place.

I agree.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:21 PM

It could also make it so players make emotional decisions and transfer instead of waiting their turn for PT.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:33 PM

The rule proposal would apply to all sports...not just basketball. Football is included. Essentially, it would give all athletes the ability to transfer one time without having to sit out. Using the grad transfer rule on top of that, a player could, if the rule is passed, play for three different collegiate teams without sitting out at all.

That's interesting.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:46 PM

I don't like it.

Jan 31, 2018, 9:51 PM

I like it. Sometimes kids don't like the school they went to. They make mistakes in their recruiting. I don't think many more would transfer. If a player really doesn't like a school and is a 3 or 4 year guy I wouldn't think the sitting out a year would make them stay at the school they are at.

Yes, but

Feb 1, 2018, 6:54 AM

I like the fact that the current ruling allows players a chance to transfer (for situations like you cited) but teaches a life lesson by imposing a penalty. It seems like we are continually making it easier for society to shun accountability. I could be wrong but i think it would be a huge headache for coaches. Then again, coaches are allowed to leave whenever they want with no penalties.

Re: Yes, but

Feb 1, 2018, 7:13 AM

Well if you do not play a sport are you allowed to transfer schools without a penalty?

Feb 1, 2018, 8:30 AM

Usually if you dont play a sport, the Athletic department isnt picking up your tab for school. Also, usually if you dont play a sport, a vast majority of these athletes probably wouldnt have gotten into the school to begin with. Anytime money and bending admissions procedures are in place, I agree there should be some consequence to avoid the wild wild west of college sports. There is a reason the rule was put into place to begin with. How big a deal is it to sit a yr anyway?

That said I wold allow one caveat. The player can sit a year and remain or scholarship or play immediately by going off scholarship and picking up his own tab for one year similar to gray shirt.

Feb 1, 2018, 8:43 AM

Plenty if kids go to college on full scholarships and can transfer schools if they want without punishment so why not athletes?

Yes, but

Feb 1, 2018, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA strongly considering changing transfer rules in bball. ]

I like the fact that the current ruling allows players a chance to transfer (for situations like you cited) but teaches a life lesson by imposing a penalty. It seems like we are continually making it easier for society to shun accountability. I could be wrong but i think it would be a huge headache for coaches. Then again, coaches are allowed to leave whenever they want with no penalties.

Feb 1, 2018, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: NCAA strongly considering changing transfer rules in bball. ]

What if you have a situation where a coach leaves, the current players don’t like the new coach, and you have 30 guys transfer out in one offseason?

You wouldn’t be able to field a team hardly if that happened. The idea of it sounds good but there has to be some sort of measures taken to prevent mass exodus or it becoming a free agent market every offseason

Not a fan...maybe with stipulations...

Jan 31, 2018, 10:26 PM

If they made a rule that required them to sit a year for in conference transfers...I could see that. Not as concerned with transfers to and from other conferences.

But do you really want opposing coaches whispering to players in the handshake line...'hey, we'll have a spot for you at point guard next year?'

Its good for the players, especially NBA bound ones

Feb 1, 2018, 12:14 AM

What if your coach gets fired? You jave to sit out a year to transfer which can kill your career. It would hurt schools like Kentucky and UNC who have 12th guys who would be good starters elsewhere. They would leave once they figured they would never play and go do decent teams that need them, like Clemson. It would help us.

Re: Its good for the players, especially NBA bound ones

Feb 1, 2018, 7:14 AM

I agree.

Let 'em play !***

Feb 1, 2018, 12:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let 'em play !***

Feb 1, 2018, 6:39 AM

I agree...let 'em move. In fact, make it a one move without sitting prior to graduating, then use the post-grad move if yet another move is wanted. It's time to stop penalizing the kids when coaches can move freely. It won't be the mass exodus most envision, but it can work out well for all. Mitchell is a prime example...he came down to Vandy or Clemson and decided...then corrected his decision. He wasn't the 'unknown' talent for Brownell. There will be players in other sports who fit that profile, too...for all programs. If anything, kids and coaches alike will have the 'don't burn bridges' in relationships reinforced.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA needs leadership and drastic overhaul!!

Feb 1, 2018, 6:56 AM

The easier transfers is just the opposite of what basketball needs!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Why would good players stay on a bad team?*****

Feb 1, 2018, 8:38 AM

Feb 1, 2018, 8:59 AM

This is for all NCAA sports not just BB.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic