Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA Clearing House Rules
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,983

NCAA Clearing House Rules

Oct 29, 2020, 11:24 AM

Why will no one discuss the NCAA Clearing House Rules, you know the rules that allow a football or basketball player who is offered a full ride athletic scholarship to gain admission to Clemson with academic requirements half or less than half of academic requirements for regular students and even other student athletes for cross country, tennis, etc.Dabo and football team have a new motto of EQUALITY even painted on the football field. We are pushing for EQUALITY in the nation while we have inequality at the university and in the athletic dept.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA Clearing House Rules

Oct 29, 2020, 12:24 PM

You do realize that every single D1 and D2 athlete who plan to attend college on scholarship (full or partial) have to apply to and be cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse, right?

The job of the NCAA Clearinghouse is to ensure that prospective athletes meet the MINIMUM requirements to be eligible to to play an NCAA sport (any sport).

After clearing that hurdle, athletes then have to apply to individual colleges and universities for acceptance to each school.

The NCAA Clearinghouse is in no way a path to get around typical acceptance to a particular school. It simply determines eligibility to play sports.

After getting approved by the Clearinghouse, Clemson then determines if they will admit a recruit in to the school.

If Clemson allows athletes in to school with lower GPA and test scores than your typical student, it is due to what that athlete can offer the university in return (wins, notoriety, reputation). Athletes in every sport are eligible for this exemption, but you are correct in that most schools use it most often with football and basketball players.

I would guess that same would happen if there were a high school senior, who happens to be a best-selling author, who wants to get into Clemson to be an English major has terrible math scores. The school will likely admit that student for what that student can bring to the school that has nothing to do with his or her abilities in math.

The APR score that all athletic programs now get is a deterrent to allowing students into school who aren't able to graduate. It's not foolproof because a school can allow any student to pass classes without merit, but it's trying to get athletics away from being athlete only and not students as well.

I do realize that you are a troll looking to cause a stir, but I wanted everyone to understand what the NCAA Clearinghouse actually is and what it does.

Oct 29, 2020, 12:52 PM

No I am not a troll dads name on sidewalk at right of mansion Two brothers and i graduated and my two kids from Clemson. Somehow you forgot to mention the gpa and sat scores u are allowed under these rules go look them up .To get into clemson now takes a min. 4.2 and 1300 on sat. let everyone google NCAA Clearing House Rules and decide.So if u have a GPA of 3.55 in high school all u need is a 400 on SAT.That means someone cheated for u in class. Conversely someone who has a 2.0 GPA in high school and then scores an 1100 on SAT u get in. Boy they got smart real quick didnt they!!! this is what the sliding scale means.Regular students did not have this advantage . These rules are bias toward regular students. Look up NCAA Clearing House Rules Sliding.It is inequality have to athletes get into college ,any college under different admission standards.

Oct 29, 2020, 12:55 PM

Im sorry ,look up NCAA Clearing House Sliding Scale Rules

Oct 29, 2020, 1:01 PM

The one thing we do agree on is athletes are treated differently they call this discrimination last time i checked

Oct 29, 2020, 1:59 PM

Discrimination is when someone is treated differently in a negative manner.

That is not what you are claiming. You are saying athletes are getting special privileges they don't deserve.

You are literally claiming that there is too much of an equal opportunity for people to get in to schools based on different merits.

If it upsets you so much,

Oct 29, 2020, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA Clearing House Rules ]

quit following collegiate sports.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it upsets you so much,

Oct 29, 2020, 1:02 PM

No just pointing out the inequality when they are promoting equaliy

Oct 29, 2020, 1:03 PM

Sorry equality

These footballers bring up enrollment, facilities & cash

Oct 29, 2020, 8:29 PM

As a grownup and 1984 Clemson grad, I suspect most adults understand there are exceptions, but a plurality of world-class athletes and college footballers are not at the top of their high school or college classes.

And these athletic kids make an immediate impact on the university. Look at the competitive enrollment, increased SAT's, increased GPA's, expanding facilities, and increasing alum gifts to the university -- mostly due to school pride that the football team enhanced. The immediate contribution of these kids at present value interest factor is equally beneficial to Clemson as an alum donating millions to the university in their 70's or 80's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: If it upsets you so much, ]

I would be interested to know what degree that you have earned.

Oct 29, 2020, 1:15 PM

Civil engineering and walk on cross country.I realize we have made tremendous strides in academics for athletes because I hung out with the first National Championship team and basketball players and the ones I knew did not care about classes.But this is still inequality.I know without these rules there would be a drastic change in college sports but it is still bias and discrimination.

Oct 29, 2020, 1:21 PM

There has been a great deal of improvements since you and I were in school. There was a number of football players that I knew well who didn’t excel in the classroom in the sixties but I’m sure that has I changed.

Oct 29, 2020, 1:30 PM

Dont ask me why, but I still miss the TIN CANS, but not the communal showers.But yes I think Dabo has had a tremendous positive impact on academics for the football team, more than any other coach in our history. GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 29, 2020, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA Clearing House Rules ]

I'm very aware of the limits and sliding scale used by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Again I will remind you, this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with admission to Clemson University.

The Clearinghouse simply states that an athlete is eligible to participate in collegiate sports.

Clemson is in charge of Clemson's admission standards and can choose to let anyone in that it pleases.

You are using the term equality while talking about exclusion. You are pushing for athletes to be excluded from Clemson because they do not meet the academic levels of non-athlete applicants.

Equality is about inclusion which is creating pathways for quite the opposite of what you seem to want.

I'm going to keep pretending you are a troll because I do not wish to believe that a former Clemson student and athlete is pushing to keep athletes out of the school.

I could completely understand if you were advocating for your stated sport of Cross Country, but instead you want to prevent others from getting your experience.

I don't expect many to back you in this cause sir.

No runs, no passes, no touchdowns, no football post = TD***

Oct 29, 2020, 1:34 PM

Oct 29, 2020, 1:49 PM

You're acting as if the lower standards are put into place as a favor to the players, and not because the universities benefit from it greatly.

You're also only looking at it from one side when you mention the standards not being equal. What if the regular students had to be one of the best in the country at playing a particular sport in order to get into school? What if the regular students had to report to some sort of mandatory activity(practice) 4 hours per day after classes, and then spend 12-15 Saturdays taking hits from other huge athletes in order to earn their spot at the university? I'd say that many of those regular students would have difficulty keeping their test scores and grades quite as high if that were the case.

Whether you want to debate if the level of racial issues are as high as they're made out to be or not, I'd say that it's a pretty stupid argument to say that if a college athlete doesn't want to be treated any differently due to the color of their skin that they should also have to have the requirements for getting into college as an athlete changed. It's even dumber when you consider that blacks make up only 57% of college football players.

Oct 29, 2020, 1:57 PM

In his defense, he never mentioned race.

I believe he is against dumb people of all races which is quite ironic based on the intelligence he shows in these statements.

Oct 29, 2020, 2:04 PM

He doesn't say specifically about race or African Americans, but when he referenced the players asking for equality. That made it clear he is upset about them pushing the "Equality Movement".

Oct 29, 2020, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA Clearing House Rules ]

I must not be too dumb. Retired at 50, getting ready to build a house on lake keowee. how about you?

Oct 29, 2020, 2:18 PM

Where did I call you dumb? I said that your argument was dumb. Everyone is capable of having stupid ideas, and that includes highly intelligent people.

Oct 29, 2020, 2:26 PM

Thats cool .I can live with that.Just glad we can still have different opinions on different issues .Its called free speech and thats great . I hope we still have this in the future.

Oct 29, 2020, 2:14 PM

You do realize our football team has one of the best graduation rates in the US.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,983
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic