Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NBA Salary vs NFL Salary?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

NBA Salary vs NFL Salary?

Jul 2, 2017, 7:23 PM

Geez! These new NBA contracts are crazy money. Curry 5 yrs. 201 million. I know the NBA has a long schedule and play more games than NFL but I see why some NFL players are complaining. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And then consider our

Jul 2, 2017, 7:34 PM

Military heros..........risk their lives for people they don't know for less money in a lifetime than sports stars make in a year. WHAT A CROCK!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Excellent Point***

Jul 2, 2017, 7:42 PM

why do people bring up this comparison?...

Jul 3, 2017, 12:16 AM [ in reply to And then consider our ]

First off the Military is voluntary, secondly the only entities that make money off the military are defense contractors, and serving your country shouldn't be about personal glory or getting a million dollar contract. However I would like to see the pay of our military members to equal that of congress members who get paid far more for doing far less work than our military members.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah but just about anyone can join the military, but...

Jul 3, 2017, 9:43 AM [ in reply to And then consider our ]

the NBA is extremely profitable. Lebron is a freak. They deserve every dime they get. The league is making money and they are getting paid. Obviously the military people are more important though.

Re: NBA Salary vs NFL Salary?

Jul 2, 2017, 7:53 PM

Well, for one, the NBA players somehow made sure that their contracts were fully guaranteed. I don't think the NFL players could ever get something like that because of how violent the sport is. But NFL teams also have way more players that have to be paid as opposed to NBA teams. So even though the NFL makes more money than the NBA, it has to be spread across more players.

Even with all that said, the last couple of years has seen an explosion of NBA salaries. Curry is justified. But there are role players who are making close to $20 million a year. There are reports that Otto Porter is being offered a max contract by the Kings. If you don't know who he is, he averaged about 13 pt last year for the Wizards. He isn't worth a max, but he probably will get it from someone.

Jul 2, 2017, 7:54 PM

How about paying these players less and passing that buck to the fans and community that support these exorbitant salaries to play a game. Love watching a baseball game with players that are getting 100 millions dollar contracts and seeing a stadium that is 20% full, until the games actually start to matter towards the end of the season. Not to mention the price after the ticket is purchased having to pay for high prices for parking, food, and beverages in an NFL or NBA game. I guess that's why i watch my pro sports on the big screen, but the still get my money that way too.

how do you start the process of lowering salaries

Jul 3, 2017, 6:49 AM

it honestly starts at the collegiate level

dabo and saban gotta head up the reform process to funnel allll this sports money back into lowering college tuition

plenty to go around

Re: how do you start the process of lowering salaries

Jul 3, 2017, 9:22 AM

Dabo and Saban as well as all of the major college coaches in FBm Baseball and BasketbALL SHOULD BE GETTING paid millions by the three professional sports entities since they are actually working for them. The major college teams are nothing more than farm clubs for the professional teams.

It's waaaaaay past time for the professional teams to start paying colleges for doing their player development. Many of the college players are already superstars as son as they walk onto a professional court, field, diamond AND already are selling tickets for the pro teams. Instead of paying Curry 40 million a yr. for 5 yrs., some of that loot should go back to his Univ. Perhaps a certain percentage of a pro. players contract (every contract signed at any point in career) should go to the players college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2017, 8:00 PM

The problem is the number of players on a football team. A lot of those guys in the NFL complaining wouldn't even get a contract if they needed to be a top 14 player on their team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jul 2, 2017, 8:23 PM

King James signed a lifetime contract with Nike for $1B. Curry is probably going to get the same deal from Under Armour.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we love us some entertainment

Jul 2, 2017, 8:40 PM

Actors, athletes, producers, directors, coaches, team GMs, heck, even fashion models make buckets of cash. No sense in complaining any which way when they take what is offered. That's the New nobility

Jul 2, 2017, 10:27 PM

supply and demand

Two big reasons

Jul 2, 2017, 11:42 PM

1) They are roughly 4x NFL players than NBA players
2) A franchise level player in basketball has the biggest impact of any single player in any professional team sport - even more than a football QB

NBA has smaller rosters than the NFL and a better players union..

Jul 3, 2017, 12:09 AM

53 on an active NFL roster to like 12 on an NBA roster.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NBA has smaller rosters than the NFL and a better players union..

Jul 3, 2017, 7:16 AM

^winner

Re: NBA has smaller rosters than the NFL and a better players union..

Jul 3, 2017, 8:05 AM [ in reply to NBA has smaller rosters than the NFL and a better players union.. ]

$12 billion in NFL revenue vs $5 billion in NBA. That isn't to suggest NFL players should get what they NBA players do, but the discrepancy is really imbalanced. At a minimum, and it's on the players and union, but some portion of their contracts, perhaps, should be in an annuity that pays some amount over a 10/20/30-year period. In the scheme of things, it's probably not a ton, present day (I'm not feeling homework), but could help with the catastrophic end so many NFL players meet. The money is there, but thought and less 'me' and 'greed' have to be the starting points. Otherwise...Talking Heads..."same as it ever was...same, as it ever was'. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football money is just distributed more evenly

Jul 3, 2017, 9:36 AM

among the players.

I like the high salaries.

Jul 3, 2017, 9:54 AM

I am not paying much of it. Whatever it costs me to watch on TV is all I pay. Big deal. These players getting paid well is good for the economy. They spread it around to family and the community usually. They are getting paid by some billionaire. It's great. It's great for realtors, auto dealerships, restaurants, waiters, etc etc. I know somebody that just sold an Audi to Dalvin Cook in Ft. Lauderdale. The more they get paid the better.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic