Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My traitorous son chose Texas over Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

My traitorous son chose Texas over Clemson

Feb 12, 2018, 10:07 PM

Can’t blame him as Texas is a touch more prestigious than my alma mater. Their orange is yucky though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My traitorous son chose Texas over Clemson

Feb 12, 2018, 10:13 PM

My uncle is a Clemson grad and all three of his kids are Longhorns. All are very successful. Best of luck!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 10:27 PM

Congrats as UT is a fine University. The folks crying here would love the Texas mandate Statewide on state admissions. Basically if you graduate top 10% of your HS you are guaranteed 1st choice to any University. Reality it means that no matter the curriculum , GPA or SAT score you are in to say UT if that is your choice. Now those folks have got a real complaint when their kid has a 4 GPA ,taken AP classes and miss out onUT by not being top 10% of their HS while someone with 3GPA and 250 point lower SAT is admitted.

One caveat the to 10% applies to all schools

Feb 12, 2018, 10:32 PM

In Texas except UT Austin which is now top 6%. The student then has to compete to get their major so a lot of kids who come from less rigorous schools can go to Texas if in Top 6% but might end up in liberal arts or another less competitive major

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One caveat the to 10% applies to all schools

Feb 12, 2018, 10:42 PM

Must have changed it as they did have a bunch of lawsuits over it, when it was originally mandated it also applied to UT.

Feb 13, 2018, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: My traitorous son chose Texas over Clemson ]

I'd say it's a little different as UT's total enrollment is 50k+, A&M is above 60k, and there are several other major universities in the state (TCU, Houston, Baylor, etc.), so they have the ability to take a mandated amount of in state students.

Clemson's enrollment is around 22-23k, which makes it a bit harder to get everyone in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 10:46 PM

So y'all can both pull against TAMU on the second weekend of September , but from slightly different angles .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 12, 2018, 10:49 PM

Did you grab your purse and stomp out of the gym? Or is that reaction SO last week?

Sorry to hear that.***

Feb 12, 2018, 10:54 PM

Feb 12, 2018, 10:54 PM

You couldn’t pay me to go to tu. Among the most liberal schools around. Huge school. It isn’t academically in a different class than Clemson. To each his own but I went to HS in TX and came to Clemson and would make the same decision again.

Feb 12, 2018, 10:59 PM

Folks from Texas do say Austin is not Texas

They call Austin the blueberry in a bowl of tomato soup***

Feb 13, 2018, 8:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 10:56 PM

More prestigious? Says who.

Says everyone except you

Feb 12, 2018, 11:07 PM

Texas just ranked 34th best school globally. I love my Tigers and am proud of my degree but Texas is a better ranked degree. Clemson I believe is a better wholistic choice though

Re: Says everyone except you

Feb 12, 2018, 11:13 PM

What I liked about CU was the small town community versus Austin. Way too much trouble to be found there, though given how bad traffic is there they may just give up the search for trouble. Yes UT is a higher ranked University.

Feb 12, 2018, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Says everyone except you ]

Yeah and unc is supposed to be one of the best. Take your big city I’ll take the hills

Feb 12, 2018, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Says everyone except you ]

Do you hold your pinky out when sipping wine lol

Now they are ranking schools globally? Based on what?***

Feb 13, 2018, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Says everyone except you ]

Feb 12, 2018, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Re: My traitorous son chose Texas over Clemson ]

All depends on where you live. If I lived in TX (and I did for 8 years), a Texas diploma means a lot more. Just as my SMU MBA meant a lot more in Dallas than it does in NC.

I don't know about all that presitigious bit but a hardy

Feb 12, 2018, 11:44 PM

"Hook em, Horns" for the lad.

Congrats. Four years traveling to and fro Austin will learn a person.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a recent Clemson grad who now lives in Austin

Feb 12, 2018, 11:53 PM

I would choose Clemson ten times over. That said, he will have no shortage of fun and had two great schools to choose from. Nice place to visit!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He must have seen 6th street

Feb 13, 2018, 2:17 AM

and had some BBQ at some point down there...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Daughter number one will be at UT this fall

Feb 13, 2018, 3:47 AM

UT Knoxville... as in Tennessee

Ain’t no way we could even consider Clemson’s out of state tuition

Feb 13, 2018, 4:27 AM

"Their orange is yucky though."

Yup, I'd strongly agree with that.

Congrats either way.

Feb 13, 2018, 4:32 AM

That is great he got in.

Does he have horns?

Feb 13, 2018, 5:09 AM

Cause nothing comes out of Texas but steers and q-ueers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hail from a large family of Texans...the cowboy and

Feb 13, 2018, 6:24 AM

cowgirl type...and they are half UT and half A&M.

To most I was a traitor for selecting Clemson, although I had been in S.C. most of my life. They simply thought I should have hitched up a team and journeyed west...so to speak.

Fast forward to today, and it's amazing how many have become ardent Clemson cheerleaders, mainly for two reasons: our football team and the Houston Texans, loaded with Clemson players. lol

Congratulations to your son and best wishes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Austin is a great city

Feb 13, 2018, 6:54 AM

If he likes music, then he will enjoy the live music capital city if Austin. Oh, and there is Fat Sal's. Great food that will kill you. The fries and mozzarella sticks are in the sandwiches instead of on the side.

Plus there is an awesome race track where F1 races. Oh, and there is a university there too.

If he uses the alumni group, he will have limitless opportunities.

Congrats, good school, great town

Feb 13, 2018, 9:36 AM

And most likely we won't see them in the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic