Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My thoughts on ND and the schedule.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,220

My thoughts on ND and the schedule.

Jul 30, 2020, 9:59 AM

1. I assure you, there is no one on this board who loves to see ND lose more than I do. I would love to see them go 0-11 this year, with their OOC loss being to Ball State.

2. Realistically, I can't hope for 0-11. But, I think it would be hilarious if they went 6-4 or even 7-3 in the conference this year.

3. I'm biased, for sure. But, I think 7-3, or even 6-4, is possible. I think the team and especially the coach are overrated.

4. And, lastly, I do not think it is at all certain that they will finish 9-1 and have the privilege to lose to Clemson twice in the same season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thoughts on ND and the schedule.

Jul 30, 2020, 10:09 AM

Anything is possible.

I think anything worse than 8-2 in ACC regular season play for ND would be unexpected. I expect ND to lose to Clemson and possibly NC.

What I don't have an opinion on is FSU. What are your thoughts for the 'Noles this year upcoming season?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 5:31 PM

I expect us to be markedly improved. But, 7 wins would meet that criteria. We play Clemson, ND and Miami as our three toughest games. I think we can beat Miami.

With a new coach coming in and trying to build a culture that the previous two coaches had burned to the ground and torn up the foundation it will be tough. Losing Spring practice and all the other off the field things coaches do to establish relationships with players to get them to buy in and start doing things 180 degrees differently will make it more difficult.

Looking at our schedule now (no Florida) if we had the normal off season I would put our over/under at 8.5. (I would call Miami a probably win - heck, if our guys knew how to line up correctly we would have beaten them in Miami last year with Taggart coaching.) I would look at ND as the closest game to a toss up with a slight edge to ND since it is at home for them.

We're nowhere near ready to complete with Clemson. Give us two or three years to get to that level.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 10:09 AM

Hey, at least we know who will be representing the "coastal" now (I know, no divisions) but they were running out of teams to feed the Clemson (and FSU) machines.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 10:11 AM

I am 110% certain that Pitt, GT, UVA, VT, UNC, Duke, and Miami did a great job pitching the "concept" of playing in Charlotte. Somehow, NC State could not relate or understand.

Jul 30, 2020, 11:08 AM

This should be NC State's year to make the ACC Championship (no Clemson or ND on the schedule, and FSU and Miami at home). Only decent team on the road will be UNC and that's just up the road with reduced fans.

I work with quite a few State grads in Charlotte, and for years they've lamented the fact that they're in the same division as FSU and Clemson.

Too bad for them, they'll likely suck too much this year to take advantage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 12:58 PM

Granted, they went through some rough times BUT ... 1979 was their last conference title. Duke, UVA, Wake and even UNC has won at least a share of a title (granted UNC was 1980 so go figure). At least Clemson BASKETBALL has some "title of sorts" in that window.

Considering they don't have to compete with Maryland as the next after Clemson/FSU... they are kinda the reason why the Atlantic is so stable at the top. They will put of a respectable showing most of the time only to give up the ghost.

However, if you tossed them over to the Coastal, would they have won anything? 2017 was their best year but Miami was 7-1 in conference vs NC State at 6-2.

2010 was the next opportunity and all they had to do was beat maryland since they held the tiebreaker vs FSU (but our 6-7 rebuilding year team still beat them). Oops, lost to MD, FSU/VT go on to play in the ACC CG (fyi, they lost to VT so they would not have won the coastal that year).

Finally 2002: They are undefeated, ranked and looking win it all. Beat Clemson and FSU in like the first (and maybe only) season. Loses to GT, Md AND Virginia in straight games. At this point, I think NC State was thankful for Md to join the B10.

NC State: With great excitement comes great disappointment.

Jul 30, 2020, 1:23 PM

They remind me a lot of Clemson between about 1998 and 2008. Some good years, some bad. Show up in the big games and often put up a good fight, even win one now and then, then follow it up with a bad loss. I remember those Bowden years well. It's not a fun spot to be in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we can all agree it's bad for the ACC if they win it

Jul 30, 2020, 10:50 AM

this year!

We'll make sure the Tigers do their part--get the Noles to do the same!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2020, 11:18 AM

I'm not sure what their record will be, but I do agree that it's not a lock for them to make the ACC Championship game. If for instance, ND were to lose to Clemson and UNC then they would need to go unbeaten in all their other games and have UNC lose at least 3 other games while hoping that no other ACC team had less than 2 losses. Tiebreakers can easily become a big factor with several teams.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,220
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic