Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Corona Virus Experience: Very Long
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

My Corona Virus Experience: Very Long

Apr 18, 2020, 3:47 PM

I am not posting this to give medical advice. I am not a doctor and that would be a disaster. I am posting this because throughout my experience, I was yearning for a diary of some sort by someone that I could compare my experience to.

As many of you know, I came on here March 21 to say that my wife had the Corona Virus. To this day, she has never been tested. At the time, her fever spiked for about two days. We called her doctor and she was put on 14- day quarantine without a test. I have a job that the state of Georgia had placed on work from home beginning March 13, so I had been home a week when she got sick. She is a pharmacy technician for Sam's Club pharmacy. Anyway, she was sick for about two or three days and after that she was good as new. She had to continue the quarantine for the full 14 days, but went back to work on April 6. She threw that Corona Virus off like it was nothing. Of note, my wife is 47 and I am 57.

My turn came on March 30th when I first noticed a fever. The fever was on March 30 and 31. I felt sure I had it, but for the next three days, I felt fine. I don't even think I had a fever from April 1 to April 3. Then on April 4th it came in with a punch. From April 4 through 7 temps were over 100 degrees as I would take readings at wakeup, 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. These three days of April 4-6 were miserable. Lots of chills, sweats, no appetite, writhing around on the bed and couch, no desire to do anything, not even change the tv channel. One day the tv was on national geographic and there must have been twelve straight shows of Lockdown. I never even had the energy or desire to change the channel as I was in and out of grogginess. I think if I ever end up in prison, I will now know all of the tricks of the trade from commissary rip-offs of fellow inmates, to how to make snacks and get drugs etc. I will be ready, LOL.

On April 7th, I was actually feeling a little better when a friend called. He said check out the local news, they are giving tests at Georgia Tech for people that qualify. I live very close to Georgia Tech, walking distance if you are a good walker. You have to go on a website and answer some questions and then hope a time slot is available. I filled out the questionnaire and, since I had had over 100 temps and cough the previous 48 hours, I qualified. I drove over and the police and health care workers ran the show. I never left my car and would not have been allowed to. They corralled the cars through this street at Georgia Tech and you looped back around to a parking garage where the tests were being given. They had plenty of signage explaining the steps, but you could also tune in to 88.9 FM and that station had a loop of directions. Signs said do not leave your car for any reason. There are no restrooms and if you feel you can’t wait, you will have to leave the premises. When you pulled up, you cracked a window and they gave me the swabs to self-test and then give back to them. They then told me to pull up to a waiting area and they would have my results within 15 minutes. The chances of a false positive are practically zero, but larger chance for a false negative. Within 15 minutes a nurse called me and verified my ID. She then told me that I had tested positive for Covid-19 and asked how I was feeling. She then said that she wanted me to crack the passenger side window of my car and she was going to come over and drop some information into that window and then back away.

So, after being sure I had it since March 30th, it was finally confirmed on April 7. I went home and called my doctor’s office and spoke with his nurse. She asked a lot of questions about my symptoms. The next morning my doctor called. We had a good talk. He said he wanted to see me so he scheduled a video appointment for Friday, April 10.

The nights between talking to my doctor and the video appointment were really rough. Fever, cough, chills sweats, no appetite. I lost a lot of weight here. I am kind of a slim person, normally 6-3, 175 lbs. in normal setting. By April 10, I was 6-3, 163 lbs. Twelve pounds is a lot of difference on a 6-3 frame. The weight loss comes not just because of the virus, but it makes you have no appetite. At times, you can’t imagine eating anything. At other times, you feel like you could eat and try to figure out what, but you are just too lazy or wrecked to get up and get it. Before you know it, the feeling of wanting to eat passes for another eight hours. Keep in mind my wife is back at work. When she was home, she’d be making me eat and bringing things to me. The first video meeting with my doctor, I had some questions because I was getting scared that I might not have what it takes to shake it. I told him I had no desire to go to a hospital, but in case worst case scenario, what would be the hospital, and protocol etc. I had a bag packed for the hospital just in case. I was also worried that if I didn’t beat it by day 14 that would be an ominous sign of a long battle and perhaps hospitalization. He said that I didn’t need to worry about day 14. He said they had a medical assistant in his office get very sick and it lasted about 3 weeks, but no hospitalization. He said my symptoms were normal for the time frame I was in.

But my doctor made a couple of things clear. He said, first of all, as bad as you look and feel, you are not at a point to be admitted to a hospital. IF you went to a hospital today, as sick as you are, they would not admit you. They would send you home. He said because even though I have bad fever, cough, loss of weight, and headaches, I did not have shortness of breath. He said let me be clear about shortness of breath. He said shortness of breath means a person can’t complete a sentence without gasping for air. Shortness of breath is NOT that you are winded because you just walked upstairs in a weakened state from fever and lack of proper nutrition. He scheduled another video appointment for Tuesday, April 14. He said as many had already said to do the following:
Take Tylenol to reduce the fever, use a cold compress, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and try to eat. I will say that the Tylenol would help almost instantly and for a brief couple of hours I would feel normal. If you have anything you need to do, start it right after taking the Tylenol because you might be able to do it. But right on time the Tylenol would wear off and the fever and headaches would all come back.

April 11 and 12 were more bad days of just feeling bad, but I could see little baby steps of improvement, fever was dropping, but I could still feel the activity in my lungs even though the cough was subsiding also. On April 13, I started to feel like a real person again. By the April 14 video appointment, my doctor said he could see the improvement in color and eyes the minute he saw me. So I am 99% sure I am out of the woods. No fever in about three days now, bust still very sluggish in my body. I think it will take my body about another week to feel 100%. But I would really say I got it on March 30th and the worst of the worst was April 4 through 12. I am now on day 20. Like I said, I am probably in the clear and would probably test as to not having it at this point. However, I doubt I will be lucky enough to get the post test for antibodies. I would like to, but doubt it happens. I feel very lucky to have gotten the test on April 7. That just kind of fell in my lap.
Personal advice, not medical advice:
Have your doctor’s number handy and the hospital you would go to if it came to that.
Be packed for the hospital, and keep your phone or tablet with you.
Have a thermometer handy
Have Tylenol on hand
Have plenty of liquids: I used Water, Gatorade, Pedialyte (3 times the electrolytes), Ensure for when you don’t feel like eating.

I know you are probably safer in South Carolina than I was in Metro Atlanta, but please, please, please don’t get over confident. Please keep your social distancing as much as you can. It won’t be long and South Carolina will be in a great place regarding going down to zero cases or deaths, but for now, please continue to social distance and protect your family and yourself. Act as if everyone has it. Act as if you have it.

Sorry so long, but this is the type of account I was looking for when I was going through this. I know everyone's case is different, but something in here might help. At times, during this, my imagination would runaway with me and that was not a good feeling. Maybe this will keep someone from going through that. Also note that it is always worse at night and late afternoon than in the morning.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very happy you are improving, and soon

Apr 18, 2020, 3:54 PM

to be well.

Thanks for the post, relating your experience. And continued best wishes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you so much!***

Apr 18, 2020, 4:01 PM

Re: My Corona Virus Experience: Very Long

Apr 18, 2020, 4:00 PM

Thank-you for sharing Thank the Good Lord that you are on the mend!

Thank you four your wonderful words. I am very grateful***

Apr 18, 2020, 4:02 PM

One very important thing I left out"

Apr 18, 2020, 4:17 PM

Even though a person with this will want to constantly lie down on the bed or couch, you must force yourself to sit up for periods of time and even get up and stretch or walk in the room. Lord knows I never wanted to get up from the lie down position, but you have to force yourself. Here's why"

If you just lie down the whole time, it will make it easier for pneumonia to set in. Not saying it will and it probably won't for most people, but you don't want to give it an opening.

my wife is a nurse and treats covid patients and she says

Apr 18, 2020, 4:32 PM

the same thing. If either of us get sick we have to keep on the move. She always makes me do stuff when I am sick and don't want to do anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And God bless your wife on the front lines. I can never say

Apr 18, 2020, 8:17 PM

enough about nurses. They are the best.

Apr 18, 2020, 11:04 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you had to endure COVID-19. I pray that your strength returns soon and that you are fully recovered.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Glad you're on the healing side of this now, stay well.***

Apr 18, 2020, 4:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son lives in Midtown Atlanta...

Apr 18, 2020, 12:27 PM

I worry about him getting the covid, but he takes all the precautions. Thanks for your story on covid. I truly believe that a lot of the bad flu cases this year were actually corona cases.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah 81-85..thx for sharing, time frame, super tips & your feelings!

Apr 18, 2020, 4:29 PM

Continue to regain your health & strength.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2020, 4:27 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience. Prayers for a quick and complete recovery!

Thanks for sharing! Best description I’ve seen yet about what it’s really like.

Apr 18, 2020, 4:35 PM

And, of course, get well soon!

The goon on CNN who claims to have the virus is instead using his platform to complain about the President. Imagine that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for sharing! Best description I’ve seen yet about what it’s really like.

Apr 18, 2020, 11:53 PM

Why the heck bring politics into this? Get a grip in what's important. There's more to life than your political agenda.

Agreed. That was exactly my point about the goon on CNN.

Apr 19, 2020, 6:47 AM

I’m guessing his platform has a little more reach than mine.

Don’t worry about me.

Apr 18, 2020, 4:47 PM

First and foremost, Godspeed to you and your wife. Scary read. Will keep you and your wife on speed dial prayer list. Very thoughtful and unselfish of you to take the time to write this down.

Sometimes it's way too easy to have a false sense of security until it hits close to home and it quickly becomes all too real... Thank you. I know it helps me to be better prepared. Things you don't hear about forcing yourself to sit up and move around. And thank your wife for being on the front lines.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im glad you are better. Thanks for sharing your experience***

Apr 18, 2020, 5:02 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2020, 5:23 PM

I too thank you for sharing your experience. I feel sure this will help many people. It's helped me to think about planning were I to become infected (God forbid).

I am so happy to learn that your spouse recovered quickly and that you are well on your way to full recovery.

I hope the next time you visit Georgia Tech will be to witness the Tigers swat those pesky bees.

Clemson family! All In!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It sure will be a lot better reason for going over there!***

Apr 18, 2020, 7:46 PM

Apr 18, 2020, 5:46 PM

Thanks for the post and info. Glad you are doing better! Keep fighting! Go Tigers!

Apr 18, 2020, 5:54 PM

Thank you for the personal account, so much better than what you get in random news articles.

I forgot to mention the fever exact temps, but they range

Apr 18, 2020, 7:48 PM

from 99.9 to 101.8 and really bring the blahs.

Apr 18, 2020, 6:03 PM

I am glad to hear that you are about to kick it in the butt. I'm 67 and I am staying away from everyone as much as possible, but when I do have to go out, I'm as careful and protected as can be. I am a fighter, and if bad luck falls my way, I will fight to the end one way or the other!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2020, 7:04 PM

Congratulations on your improvement...and on having a wife 10 years younger!

Apr 18, 2020, 7:22 PM

Thank you for sharing. I hope your experience convinces everyone to follow the guidelines on social distancing.

Apr 18, 2020, 7:48 PM

Yeah right. I’m sure Lowe’s and Home Depot were packed today.

Eeyore is your

Apr 18, 2020, 9:06 PM

Dad...right?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2020, 7:42 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad that you're improving and prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2020, 8:26 PM

Glad you are recovering bless you and your wife.

Apr 18, 2020, 8:28 PM

Glad to hear you are doing better. Hope your family is back to normal soon. God bless y’all and Go Tigers!!!!!

Apr 18, 2020, 8:30 PM

Thanks for sharing, so glad you are doing better !

I know personally I’ve been frustrated by all that is going on and questioning what the media is reporting but seeing a Tiger with a first hand account really gives me pause to make sure I’m taking this as seriously as I should be.

It is definitely an awful virus, so glad you and the wife are both better!

Apr 18, 2020, 9:13 PM

Thanks for posting and I'm glad you're better.

Unfortunately I think your words of warning fall on deaf ears. Everybody is more worried about opening the economy, beaches, and bars despite the case count still skyrocketing.

Apr 18, 2020, 9:26 PM

Great post and glad that you are Ok.

I am happy you and your family are doing well dude - thank

Apr 18, 2020, 9:32 PM

you for taking the time to share your story - God Bless you brother!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Apr 18, 2020, 10:25 PM

Thanks for sharing this and so glad your getting back to normal and feeling better. I was reading your post like I was in the middle of a Stephen King novel. It sounded pretty intense.

TLDR***

Apr 18, 2020, 10:25 PM

Apr 18, 2020, 11:19 PM

Glad you're better now and didn't have to enter the hospital. Prayers for complete recovery, and thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the post. That was most

Apr 18, 2020, 11:39 PM

informative. Mainly though, glad you are improving.

Godspeed to a full recovery... and thanks for all the info.***

Apr 18, 2020, 11:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

glad you're feeling better, and thank you for this post***

Apr 19, 2020, 12:02 AM

Apr 19, 2020, 7:41 AM

Thank you. You provided alot of information that would help if I came down with the virus.
Liquids, water, gatorade, pediade,Ensure.
You story offers hope.

Apr 19, 2020, 7:58 AM

Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad you are improving and pray you will be fully recovered soon!

I have been wondering where they are on the antibody test.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2020, 8:30 AM

Outstanding post, Clemson81to85! Thank you very much and glad you are improving!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2020, 8:41 AM

Thanks for sharing and glad you are feeling better. God bless and prayers ??

Glad you made it brother

Apr 19, 2020, 9:03 AM

Very detailed in your experience, appreciate your explanation and your recovery

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Question:

Apr 19, 2020, 10:12 AM

You said you did the swab yourself - how did that work? I don’t think I could shove that thing up my own nose that we see on TV...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They yell all instructions to you through closed windows and

Apr 19, 2020, 2:41 PM

then tell you to crack your window only long enough to receive the swab. As soon as I got the swab, she said roll your window back up. And we were both wearing masks. And another persone earlier in the line has dropped swab nstructions in on the passenger side cracked window open.

It was not fun to do to myself, but it was quick. I still have the instruction sheet. It said the following"

1. Insert the nasal swab into the nostril exhibiting the most drainage or congestion. (I really didn't hae drainage or congestion that day, but I chose a nostril).

2. Gently insert the swab until resistance is met. This should be near the level of the nasal turbinate's and less than one inch into the nostril.

3. Rotate the swab against the nasal wall several times.

4. Gently remove the swab

5. Using the same swab, repeat sample collection in the other nostril.

Then they asked me to crack open the window, hand them my swab and drive to the waiting area for results.

One question.

Apr 19, 2020, 2:03 PM

Thanks for the post. I've been very curious about specific symptoms and time frames.

Are you classified as "recovered"?

Either a lot of people are still sick, there is a significant time lag of reporting recovered, or a lot of folk that tested positive are never counted as "recovered" once they recover. Maybe some of all three.

If I had to guess, I would think the answer would be yes. An

Apr 19, 2020, 2:34 PM

here's why. Supposedly, after 3 days of no fever and not using any method to keep the fever down, plus more than seven days since the original symptoms set in, and all symptoms have gone away, a person is cleared to go out and about, assuming also the 14-day quarantine period has passed. My guess is I am considered recovered status. However, I doubt I will ever have access to an antibody test to confirm that. I just don't think they are widespread available.

I have not been out of the house since March 31 and that was to walk with nobody around. I like to walk outside etc. for two hours at a time. Needless to say, that has all been out of the question since getting sick. I could not do it if I wanted to. I am hoping to try a 30 minute walk outside, not around any people, tomorrow. I feel like that's what my body can do at this point.

But the question as to whether I am officially recovered is a very important one. While I think I am based on what I said earlier, I will not take a chance unless I feel more sure and put more distance between me and this event. For example, I am fortunate enough to have both my parents. My dad is 81 and my mom is 79. They have been married 59 years. They live in South Carolina and I visit them at least once every two months. They are fun to visit. I last visited on February 29-March 3. I will definitley not even consider going to see them, as muuch as I'd love to, until I know for sure there is no way I am contagious. So I guess I will do a good bit of googling, listening to tv experts and feeling even better before I go back over to their house.

Ironically, I probably am not contagious, have recovered and have antibodies, but there is so much not known for sure on this virus. So I will not take any chances.

Of course, the one exception to not leaving the house was

Apr 19, 2020, 2:49 PM

when I went to be tested on April 7.

Apr 19, 2020, 3:05 PM

Any reason Tylenol was preferable over aspirin or ibuprofen?

That is just what my doctor and sister said to take. I'm not

Apr 20, 2020, 10:33 AM

sure why it was preferable.

Apr 19, 2020, 3:40 PM

The blood connection is collecting plasma from patients who have recovered from Covid19 to harvest antibodies to donate to critical patients. That would be a cheap and very helpful way to get an antibody test. You have to have a copy of your positive test results, and you have to be symptom free for 28 days. Look up the number for the blood connection and they can get you set up for it in May after your 28 days are up. They are doing this at AnMed, I would assume Georgia tech and most other hospitals are doing this

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Thank you very much for this info. I was not aware of the

Apr 20, 2020, 10:35 AM

process. My wife and I really want to do this. It would confirm for us that we have antibodies and are done with it, but most imortantly, it could save lives.

Thank you for sharing. Glad you are doing better.***

Apr 20, 2020, 2:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic