Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My College Football Playoff Proposal Is The Best. It Is ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

My College Football Playoff Proposal Is The Best. It Is ...

Jan 3, 2020, 1:04 AM

Winner of each Conference goes to the playoffs (10 teams)

There will be six wildcards outside of Conference Champions (6 teams)

Sweet 16 of College Football

Keeps rankings relevant

FIFTEEN Bowl Games in the Championship series, that surely helps keep Bowls relevant

As for the argument "too many games", I guffaw. My hunch is that many of the student-athletes first priority is the Football, and many leave the College game as soon as eligible anyway.

Heck, its only two more possible games ... those Independents are a problem though ... make them join a Conference since it does not matter what Conference, Champion goes to the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way they add two more games and no way the fans of

Jan 3, 2020, 1:25 AM

The two teams who make the championship game are going to spend the money to go to 4 bowl games. In order to go to a 16 team playoff they’ll need to kill the bowls and reduce the regular season, right now the playoffs wouldn’t off set that amount of revenue, and it’s all about money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You KEEP the Bowls, they are the venues for the playoffs ***

Jan 3, 2020, 3:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My College Football Playoff Proposal Is The Best. It Is ...

Jan 3, 2020, 1:34 AM

OP, here is the key: If a proposal can't be morphed from the current status quo, it isn't worth a dime.

12-game seasons and conference championship games aren't going away. 15-0 has zero chance of becoming 17-0.

Alterations to the 4teamCFP structure will diminish...

Jan 3, 2020, 4:34 AM

the ability to flesh out the best team by introducing a # of irrelevant variables of chance?random pitfalls that heavily tax attrition. Luck will become a major determining factor. Expansion seeds further expansion; this is a statement of fact, not opinion. Do we really have fans who advocate expansion? w/ a functional a brain? or maybe just irrational this time the month?

My plan will introduce PARITY in the Conferences

Jan 3, 2020, 3:39 PM

Why not let say, Mountain West Champ play ?

Re: My plan will introduce PARITY in the Conferences

Jan 4, 2020, 7:32 AM

Simple Because they are not the best team in the country.

Jan 3, 2020, 4:58 AM

It's going to 8 games eventually, and what I want to see is annual ACC-SEC that would happen week 2 every season
-matchups are reset every 2 years
-each team gets a home & home
-matchups are determined by how you finish the Sagarin Ratings the previous season
-how it works is:
#1 from ACC plays #1 from SEC
all they way through #14 ACC vs #14 SEC
-each team in the ACC & SEC would keep a non-conference spot in schedule open for it
-when the playoff system, strength of schedule will become even more important because you can get in with 2 or even 3 losses & there could be a lot of teams with 2 & 3 losses
-I believe this will benefit Clemson since they have been dominating the SEC recently & a big win in the nonconference schedule would earn them the respect they deserve all season long instead of having to wait until the playoffs, the only way this could happen is with a 8 team playoff, in a 4 team playoff, a school just can't afford the possibility of a extra loss, but with 8 you can

Jan 3, 2020, 6:30 AM

8 teams.Period.
The top 8 based on the record.No Conference should have more than 2 teams based on conference games.
No Conference Championship game.
Each school plays 10 conference games on a rotating schedule.
Notre Dame can either join a conference or play 10 games among the Power 5 Conferences( rotating games will be allowed but would be 2 from each of the Power 5 Conferences).
Each team gets 2, but no more than 2 Division II games.
Schools can still continue to have their instate rival game whether or not they are in the same conference(ex.Bama/Auburn would be one of 10 conference games while Clemson/ S.Carolina would be one of the 9 game Power 5 Conference match-ups. Hope that makes sense.
Teams are then seeded 1 vs 8 with the higher seed getting to play host at their home venue.
The other schools are then seeded accordingly with the higher-ranked team being the home team.
These games would be played on what was Conference Championship weekend.
*There are now 6 Major Bowl sites(Orange, Peach, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, and Rose). Games involving the 4 remaining games would be played the last weekend in December at these sites on a rotating basis.
Sorry, but since there are no conference runner-up's a plan would have to be implemented for the other Bowl games getting teams ranked 9-25).
The two semi-final games would be held at the other two venues , again on a rotating basis, as would the Final Game, the Championship Game.

P.S. I hope I got it right, but if not please let me know. I did this without the benefit of coffee.

Many have proposed 8 teams, with top 4 hosting 1st round.

Jan 3, 2020, 7:34 AM

I would hate to be ranked 5-8, and have to play the first round game in some frigid Big 10 venue! Talk about a home team advantage!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2020, 7:17 AM

Again, no. Didn't read ,don't care.

Jan 3, 2020, 8:04 AM

Morph the current power 5 into 4 super conferences. Expand them to 20 teams each. That way you can include the ucf Nd BYU Boise crowd. Each conference has two 10 team divisions and the winners of each division (8) will play in 4 conference championship games (the playoffs). Those champs play a semifinal and then the championship. There will never be more than one team from a conference and you can still have the bowl system in place. Eliminate committees and polls. Just win your division and conference and you’re in.

Jan 3, 2020, 8:18 AM

At this point, I do not think there has been a legitimate case for expanding beyond 4 teams, and really this year helped proved that point. It was 3 teams plus fodder... and has been most years.

The *best*case for expanding happened in the first year with the Baylor/TCU/OSU drama. If the NCAA had allowed the B12 to keep their CCG, then it would be moot as TCU would have likely gotten the nod over OSU. But since OSU won it, it created the hindsight fallacy, so case closed.

Now, it kinda irks me that UCF did not get a shot in 2018 - granted, they were not at good BUT there needs to be a more legitimate case for a group of five team. Again, you have a hindsight fallacy develop so no case. I guess the CFP committee is waiting for a scenario like 2007 where you only have one one team with 1 or fewer losses. Everyone had 2 losses so I guess that is the "opportunity year".

I personally would like to go back to "smaller" conferences but that will take a while to happen - but more likely will be "split" conferences with a title game. It is kinda happening but I want to nix those crossover games - so no rubber matches. I want to see ACC North vs ACC South but that is just me.

Jan 3, 2020, 8:20 AM

When in doubt, just add more teams that can't get it done during the regular season.

Mulligans were invented for golfers who were simply not very good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I fail to see what is wrong with a 4 team playoff

Jan 3, 2020, 9:55 AM

If you expand the playoffs, all you do is create more opportunities for injuries in meaningless games against teams who have no business competing for a national championship.

Under the status quo, college football has the best regular season of any sport and we end up with a true champion. The status quo has worked perfectly every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I fail to see what is wrong with a 4 team playoff

Jan 3, 2020, 4:03 PM

/thread

Congratulations. You must be an SEC Homer, because you just

Jan 3, 2020, 9:59 AM

ensured that 7 teams from the SEC make the playoffs every year.

Bah, Humbug!

Jan 3, 2020, 10:07 AM

Add a bowl game championship weekend for the top two ranked teams not playing in a conference championship game.

Committee picks the 4 best teams from the conference champs and winner of that bowl game.

Also, add that 10 games against power 5 teams is required to be eligible. (includes championship games, so 0-4-0 would have been eligible this year.)

READ my plan, EVERYBODY still plays a 12 game regular season***

Jan 3, 2020, 3:40 PM

null

Message was edited by: OhWiseOne®

You All Have No VISION !

Jan 3, 2020, 3:50 PM

Stay between the lines, the lines are your friend ...

Re: You All Have No VISION !

Jan 3, 2020, 4:21 PM

If there was ever a year to dispel this argument that the playoffs need to be expanded, this was it! Who this Oklahoma or anyone else deserved to be in the playoffs with the three undefeated teams?

Yes. Because They Are The Conference Champions Of Their ...

Jan 3, 2020, 11:06 PM

Conference.

Really don't get the argument that some are more equal than others just because ... this is class struggle on steroids.

Jan 3, 2020, 11:34 PM

No one asked you and this sucks it’s not the best.

No change is best . -1

Jan 4, 2020, 1:09 AM

Literally the most obvious teams made the playoffs. No others deserved it. This year should be enough to say enough! We don’t need to expand the playoffs!

Nobody else deserved to be in playoffs to...

Jan 4, 2020, 7:45 AM

include Okla. So now you are adding more blowouts and just makes it more likely that you lose a starter or QB before you plays games with relevance. Going beyond 4 is a turrible idea. Let's say under your idea we would have played someone like Memphis who was blown out by Penn St. Who would even want to watch a game like that? Or putting in 4 loss teams because they won their conference, is just stupid!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic