Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My 2 best games at DV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,429

My 2 best games at DV

May 18, 2019, 12:09 AM

Will never forget these wins - among the many I've seen in the Valley.

Nov. 22, 1980 - Tigers 27, Scar 6.
CU was 5&5 heading in & had lost 4 of last 5. Scar was 8&2 - the 2 losses were to top-5 teams - SoCal & UGA, and had won 6 of last 7. They had also beaten #17 Mich, & G.Rogers was going to win the Heisman. Nobody gave us a chance. But at the top of "The Hill" stood Tigers in ORANGE PANTS for the 1st time ever! DV goes nuts! CU led 6-3 @ halftime. It was tied 6-all in the 3rd & SC drove to CU 16. Then Willie Underwood picked 1 off & returned 64 yrds - we scored & led 13-6. Next SC possession, Underwood picked off another & scored. Now it was 20-6. Last, a drive capped by a Jeff McCall 15-yd run for the final - 27-6.

Sept. 19, 1981 - Tigers 13 - #4 UGA 3.
Looked like Herschel might run all over us. But then he got slammed by Terry Kinard at the CU 10 & fumbled. Tiger's managed a TD & a field goal to lead 10-0 @ the half. Walker would go on to fumble 2 more times in 1st half. Also, UGA QB Buck Belue would fumble in 1st half & throw 2 INTs. In QRT 3, Herschel got BURIED! The hit was so bad he never looked the same. UGA scored a f.goal in the 3rd to make it 10-3. Then CU hits one for 3 & it's 13-3. Belue would close out the game with 3 4th QRT INTs, including his last - picked off in the end zone. 9 UGA TURNOVERS! Tiger's 1st win over a top-10 team (the def. national champs)! I can't remember DV being so loud or the fans standing for 4 quarters! What a day - what a year!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My 2 best games at DV

May 18, 2019, 12:20 AM

I agree with you. Will never forget the excitement of seeing the orange pants for the first time. Also remember my dad very quickly making a "Herschel Who?" sign after the UGA game. Two great games!

May 18, 2019, 12:36 AM

I remember seeing old men in red blazers, crying.

Yeah that 9 turnovers has to be a record or close to one

May 18, 2019, 12:39 AM

Considering a team gets roughly 10-12 possessions in a game, 9 turnovers is insane.

Re: Yeah that 9 turnovers has to be a record or close to one

May 18, 2019, 12:46 AM

We've always been known for defense and I'm proud of that but our offense this year is going to be very special!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Louisville 2016

May 18, 2019, 7:35 AM

I realized then how magical DV can be. At tiger walk you could feel the electricity in the air even before the game started. Love night games and then Marcus Edmond’s play. As Dabo says doing common things in an uncommon way

May 18, 2019, 7:52 AM

2006 vs GT - First ESPN Gameday at home, Thunder and Lightening have their national breakout game.

2015 vs ND - Standing room only in DV played in a monsoon on the way to our first CFP.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,429
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic