Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mr. Joe 21
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,747

Mr. Joe 21

Jun 24, 2018, 12:29 AM

Mr. Joe, I related your story about the Navy LC getting you on shore to Inchon in October 1950 to my 89 year old father-in-law. He enjoyed the story and he also spent time in that Cold War between December 1950 and November 1951. He tells me that he spent most of his time above the 38th parallel either digging or living in foxholes. Sleeping in a tent was a luxury.
He asked me what unit you were in and I told him that I did not know. Would you please fill me in on this info? Thank you for your service and for the insight you give us into a time that needs to be remembered....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mr. Joe 21

Jun 24, 2018, 2:35 PM

I joined Team "C" of the 205th Signal Repair Co. in Pyongyang, North Korea, the last of Oct. or Nov. 1, 1950. The 205th. was composed of five teams (A,B,C,D & E). Each team was assigned to a Division or other Army unit. Team "C" was not at full force when I joined them, maybe about 20 men. About a week or two later one of the other teams returned from a forward position and joined us. On Dec. 1, the Chinese Army was knocking on the door on the North side of the city so we departed through the South door. We were sent down to Pusan. On Jan. 1, 1951, the three of us reservists who joined Team "C", were sent to the 38th Parallel to join a Combat Engineering Company. The only reason we could think of for our being assigned to this company was the fact we three had engineering degrees.

I don't remember the name of the Combat Engineering unit to which we were assigned nor do I even remember where we were located along the 38th. Parallel but I definitely remember the mountains and the bitter cold that dropped down to minus 35 F. After about two months, we were relieved of our duties and returned to part of the 205th. which was now in Nara. Japan. The other part of the company was at other positions along the 38th. parallel. Those guys did not have the luxury of going to Japan.

Bolstered by new supplies and replacements we returned to Korea. We began our journey back North. This time only about six of us were together for about three weeks at our first stop. Our six made it to our next stop where we were joined by about 6 - 8 more men and we were at this location for about three weeks. Our final stop was back at the 38th Parallel and our numbers had grown to about 20 men. Just a short way north of us were a whole lot more than 20 men of the Chinese Army but when I received orders one night about 9:00 PM that I would be starting my journey back home the next morning, there had been no skirmishes in our area.

During my approximately eleven month stay with the 205th. Signal Repair Company, at no time was I ever with the entire company.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mr. Joe 21

Jun 24, 2018, 5:56 PM

Thank you so much MrJoe21. I look forward to delivering this info to Mr. Roy. He is nearly blind and can no longer read, but his mind is razor sharp. He is 9 years your junior and he and my wife are law partners. He still goes to work every morning.....jaybird4

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,747
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic